Lafarge North America

Great company , big jobs means a lot of $

Driver (Current Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLot of home time when it rains, but you can make a weeks pay in two days on a big job.

ConsNo minimum pay for rainy week, which somtimes can hurt if you dont save for rainy days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work saftey first great driver manager very involved in driver saftey

Good company but could be better.

Reston, VA

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat management. Lot of down to earth people who don't bother you as long as you do what you are supposed to do.

ConsNot many opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities and training that would result in more internal promotions.

Encouraged and Appreciated

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was always encouraged and appreciated for my Executive Assistance work at Lafarge NA in the Aggregates Division. I was given opportunity to serve on committees outside my area, which assisted greatly in my growth as an Executive Assistant and also provided the variety to keep me excited about my work.

ConsThey (Lafarge NA) hung on to managers that were rude, demanding, and demeaning to other employees -- not necessarily his charges, either. Lafarge should have let him go. This cause low morale within all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the affect negative management has on those serving him or her. Negativity has a definite impact on work production and morale.

Not very diverse

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at Lafarge North America as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat hours, break areas and lunchrooms always well stocked with coffee and other beverages free of charge

ConsMany departments weren't as diverse as far as age and race.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand more opportunities to lower employees.....favoritism is very apparent.

Good company to work for

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn order to move up the ladder you have to move to different locations. Unfortunately most of the location are not located near a large metropolitan city. Your career is what you make of it.

ConsIn big plants you are expected to work more than 40 hours.

One of the best companies to work for. Retain employees for a long time. Respect safety of employee.

Manager (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable environment with room to grow. Large organization to learn from. Lafarge has a nice salary structure and health benefits package. The company values safety more than many others and although the process of working safely for some is a pain in the rear, I welcomed it.

ConsNot many. A down or slow economy creates a "doom and gloom" atmosphere and "do more with less" attitude, but most all industries will experience the same. The cement manufacturing & distribution industry is like a roller coaster ride.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

it's a good ride

IT Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 5 years

Prosmedium to large environment depends on what you are working for

Consa lot of managers in IT have no skills

Advice to Senior Managementget a better management team to work together

Poor communication between France and America

Plant Manager (Former Employee)
North Metro, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding Company, that produced high tech products.
Poor management forced the company, in the Denver area to its knees. Lots of potential from previous employees that were unsatisfied and moved on.

ConsGreat insurance benefits, none can be surpassed working for Lafarge. They really knew how to take care of their people for long haul.
Unfortunate that the company was sold in 2011 to Martin Marietta, or should I say Suburban. Lots of the employees who quit Lafarge between 2006 and 2010 returned under Suburban to supervise the entire front range. This company is doing well now (Martin) but will fail under the same management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time in the field, and realize each market area is different. Don't rely on management's opinion for the complete operation. Communicate with workers more, they are your frontline information source.

Lafarge - your plant experience may vary with your plant manager

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good plant manager makes all the difference

ConsA bad plant manager can make for long days, weeks, years

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that you may want to validate what a plant manager tells you. The recent "great place to work" survey indicates we may not feel appreciated / valued.

Excellent career & learning experience

Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee)
Joppa, IL

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLafarge has a nice salary structure and health benefits package. The company values safety more than many others and although the process of working safely for some is a pain in the rear, I welcomed it.

Worked for Lafarge North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lafarge North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lafarge North America CEO Bruno Lafont. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Lafarge North America employees.