Lagasse Reviews

15 reviews filtered by
2.0
Todd Shelton

1. Customer Service

I have been working at Lagasse

Pros

Was a great place to work. co-workers were great to work with . Hours were great.

Cons

dealing with some of the co-workers was like being back in high school.

2. tough to get out on time, decent pay. You get what you work for at Lagasse. Its cold in the winter, and they turn off al

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Aurora, CO

I worked at Lagasse part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

driving the forklifts instead of manual pallet jacks. Getting paid weekly. The hours are not to bad. Unless they want you to come in early like 2 am.

Cons

This company does not pay very well. I mean 11 bucks an hour is really not much when you think about it. And the management is very stern. You really don't get any chances here. And it seems we are always running behind. So there's lot's of overtime. And we never seem to have enough people.

Please be more understanding with the associates. I mean everybody screws up once in a while.

3. Major personality conflict with direct manager.

I worked at Lagasse

Pros

Division of United Stationers. Soon to be merging systems in July 2015. Many of the people there were very nice.

Cons

Insecure manager. Fearful of being downsized? Not get along with opposite gender? I was there to help!! but was talked to like a 2nd grader.

Clean house with the next reorg this year!

5. Fantastic family-owned company

Former Employee - Market Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lagasse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere was prevalent throughout organization

Cons

Car allowance to low for the amount of travel required

Keep on the current successful growth path

6. Pass your 90days and you are free to do as you please.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Lagasse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back co-workers 16 days of vacation on your 1st year.

Cons

Shift managers control your destiny, raises, promotion. Its a rotating door people cone and go. Lack of training. Hours arent the best.

Listen to the people that actually speak up

7. Could have been better

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lagasse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady income, no layoffs, decent pay

Cons

Too much overtime, employees treated like machines

Hire enough people to run the facilities without having to work your managers 60 to 70 hours per week!

8. unnappreciated

Former Employee - Warehouse in Edwardsville, KS
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Edwardsville, KS

I worked at Lagasse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great coworkers and good location

Cons

management is very negative minded

9. Probably a typical used-up-and-spit-out temp experience

Former Employee - ICRA - Inbound Customer Relations Associate in Oaks, PA
    Former Employee - ICRA - Inbound Customer Relations Associate in Oaks, PA

I worked at Lagasse full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Regular work schedule, easy (but mind-numbingly repetitive) work, lots of free time

Cons

From the moment I stepped foot in LagasseSweet's call center, something felt off. This was my first (and hopefully last) temp job. There were tons of empty desks and cubicles. It looked like they had just finished cleaning house and were bringing a whole new crop of employees on.

I naively saw this as an opportunity to prove myself and get in on a fresh "ground level" working for a growing company.

I took Lagasse's overdone and torturously slow training course for an entire month (yes, for a 3 month job you spend a month in training....this is how you know it's going to be terrible) and came back down to the call center--only to discover even more people had suddenly disappeared. And of course, it was VERY hush hush as to what caused their disappearance. The most I was able to get from management was "They are no longer working for Lagasse".

Of course I didn't realize this at the time, but after I too was let go for complete BS reasons, (despite hundreds of happy customers and plenty of people who asked if I could exclusively handle their accounts), I realized the truth: LagasseSweet claims to value their employees and exclusively hire former temps but, they run people through like a conveyor belt so they don't have to pay out benefits and salaries to the majority of the temps that work there. 525 hours go by and you're out the door without so much as a thank you, acknowledgement of your work, evaluation or feedback that you can take with you to another job.

The reality is, they don't have enough work to keep most people on full time, which is probably why they go through so many temps. The problem with this is that if you work a morning to evening shift, it leaves you absolutely NO way to go to interviews at other possible future employers. And of course, they're not going to let you take a single personal or sick day or afternoon doctor's appointment because they want to squeeze every last dime out of the labor they can get from you.

LagasseSweet is in the process of finally upgrading their horrific website and will be replacing their 90s era, windows xp Trend order system over the course of the next year. If you are an ICRA you would be an absolute idiot to think that this reality would not completely jeopardize your job and the need for it. Call volume is just going to continually decrease and along with it, the need for people in your role as the website will continually siphon your former phone customers away.

Speaking of phones, on a typical 8 hour day, I would guess that approximately one and a half to two hours would be spent doing NOTHING, browsing the net and waiting for a phone call to come in. Because that's the job. You sit there in the queue with 30 other reps waiting for phone calls. Occasionally you may be called on to follow-up with someone via e-mail but there's very little actual accountability on anything because you are a disposable peon, are not valued, and are expected to spend every possible moment on that queue.

I seriously wish I had never wasted my time working for this company but as we all know, if you say no to a job that a temp agency offers, they'll never call you again.

You expect WAY too much out of your ICRAs, particularly when it comes to fixing the errors in orders that your fax team makes CONSTANTLY, even though they are paid more. So not only do I have to place orders all the time, but I also have to answer to long-time customers who are irate that your fax team screwed up and ordered them the wrong item or shipped it to the wrong location. Then, as if that wasn't enough, you REQUIRE us to CC that person's supervisor and them on the mistake they made? Right, cause that's what you want to do as a new person, tick the long timers off so you're guaranteed not to have a job. Not to mention the amount of time that this wastes when there are other calls in the queue.

There's also no excuse for using such an absolutely atrocious networking system in this day and age. I can't count the number of times I had to shut down windows and restart the wyse terminal in the middle of an order because the system locked up. Trying to give the customer the best experience possible over the phone is entirely negated when your billion dollar company won't spend the money to get a decent IT infrastructure.

I worked my tail off for you guys and the best I got was a 4pm phone call from my temp agency telling me that we were done.

Truth told, after about six months in this position, I probably would have been ready to kiss the end of a shotgun anyway because it's that tedious. Thank you to both you and my incredibly noble temp agency for the opportunity to get used for all I was worth and then tossed aside like a condom.

10. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT WORKERS & H/R IS HORRIBLE AT THIS DENVER COMPANY!

Former Employee - Wharehouse Lead in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Wharehouse Lead in Aurora, CO

I worked at Lagasse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really can't think of any. you get to go home after everything is done.. you don't get yelled at after 2:00PM because the boss is long gone by then.

Cons

Lets see where to start. As I had said H/R is a horrible dept. in this company. They harass the workers to the point that they quit. If you go to the higher up's in H/R you are told that YOU are the problem. I finally had to leave because of health issues from my job at lagasse. This is not a fair or nice place to work!

Close this branch up and start over. This is one of the worst places to spend any time and upper management is to blind to see.

11. Good culture, despite unclear direction and lack of decision making at the higher levels.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Lagasse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great building, kind coworkers. Ability to work with multiple departments and learn a lot. Very community oriented and the associates put in admirable efforts with charities all over the country.

Cons

Leadership doesn't really put their foot down to make many decisions and the company seems to be run by a bunch of individuals pulling things in various directions and no one seems to have a sense of what the company is or where it's going.

Put all resources into an attempted project, rather than split everyone up, and have them all try to accomplish the same thing in different ways without any group actually having the right resources. Invest more heavily in IT. The company makes almost all decisions manually, and inconsistently. And must type in what's happening operationally into a very antiquated ERP that doesn't suit the needs of the business at all.