Lagoon

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
3.1

CEO

The biggest and most successful place I ran for 1 year deal and we grossed $9 million.

Former Employee - General Manager in Essington, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Essington, PA

I worked at Lagoon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am looking to be part of any restaurant because I miss the passion I have for the business and I have the energy to work 60 to 80 hours a week to reach my goals.

Cons

Working at the Lagoon was such a full time project I actually lived in one of the hotel rooms 6 days a week while my family was in Maryland.

The bigger the place the more people you need to look busy and you have to upscale your public relations and be very aggressive in getting people to come to your place

"Well marketed, but highly unethical and illegal in company policies"

Former Employee - Rides in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Rides in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-the atmosphere can be highly fun and unique
    -you will undoubtedly find friends as long as you are willing to find friends
    -easy perks such as free entry and great discount passes, as well as a relatively decent end-of-season bonus
    -personally had lots of opportunity for advancement and access to knowledge of resume-building skills
    -an actual chance to embrace diversity! Such diverse employees, including people from abroad.
    -lower advancement is super easy to get, so long as you work efficiently and with a smile.
    -small scholarship opportunities

Cons

-company cuts corners most prominently in health codes and employer laws.
    -I was forced to operate rides with bare hands in vomit, as well as drink from an employee's mug to verify alcoholic content in the mug.
    -company does not provide benefits, overtime or holiday pay, or flexibility of hours.
    -Though employers can easily and within-the-law justify terminations are not due to discrimination, there is a lot of "in-between-the-lines" firings that read very clearly otherwise. I even had to terminate people that upper management didn't like for reasons they skewed towards something which was actually within the employee's job title (i.e.: employees "yelled" at guests to not jump the fence into the enclosure of the ride while the ride was in operation)
    -upper advancement is only due to social politics and not on merit.
    -witnessed harassment reports being shredded and thrown away instead of filed.

-Stop doing illegal things! Pay attention to laws instead of cutting corners
    -Pay attention to true merit of your supervisors and less time on the people you can easily talk to.
    -Do not fire your LGBT employees!
    -The CEO (Dave Freed) needs to listen more to younger employees who may be voicing extremely legitimate (and legal) concerns.

Campground Attendent

Former Employee - Campground Attendant in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Campground Attendant in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good management, easy job, need good customer service skills

Cons

No real opportunity for advancement unless you stay there for a few years. Even then its a small raise.

Fun at times, but not fun most of the time.

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Lagoon (more than an year)

Pros

Get in for free, discounts for family, good hours.

Cons

Some of the guests are very rude, got sent home early a lot, high prices on food even for employees.

Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Lagoon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of great people to work with. A lot of variety in what you work on and interesting projects. Good profit sharing benefit.

Cons

Even though the owner is there and always watching you with hundreds of cameras, he is completely out of touch with his employees and feels most of them are expendable. Wages are far below average. Hours are often long and there is no time and a half for overtime.

Get in touch with your employees, very few are are happy to be there.

Good place for part time students looking for a first job, not so good for the career minded.

Current Employee - Management in Farmington, UT
    Current Employee - Management in Farmington, UT

I have been working at Lagoon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good people to work with, broad areas of experience because of the nature of the business.

Cons

Lagoon used to be a wonderful place to work that valued it's employees and provided incentives and perks to do a good job. Now it seems the company president lays awake nights thinking of ways to demoralize Lagoon's employees. Lagoon is managed not by strong leadership but by security cameras which are everywhere, even in some offices. It's an oppressive, demoralizing environment.

Go back to the days when employees were valued. Allow those doing the jobs to have input on how to make them better. Lead through trust, not fear.

Lagoon job

Current Employee - Front End/Ticketing
    Current Employee - Front End/Ticketing

I have been working at Lagoon part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start out

Cons

Not always appreciated, no raises except when you turn a specific age

Interview for Ride Operator

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees get free admission into the park, and a limited number of discount passes every month. I liked operating the rides, and I became friends with some of my coworkers.

Cons

You'll have to work long hours standing up outside. It's often very hot, and at the end of the season it may get cold enough to snow. You can't wear a jacket or hat unless it's lagoon merchandise, and you must buy it yourself. The fences around the rides become very hot in the sun, so it's not a good idea to lean against them or touch them with your bare skin. The worst part of the job is trying to help dissatisfied guests. Park guests are often very rude when confronted about following the rules, and they're likely to vent their frustration about pricing or predetermined safety requirements onto you as an employee, whether you have control over those things or not.

Scheduling could be improved. I heard many stories of coworkers being called in their approved days off, and management refusing to acknowledge the error.

Helped me matured into an adult

Former Employee - Games Operator in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Games Operator in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people really define how great your experience will be. I worked in the Game Department for two summers. There were many awesome people and I made a lot of friends while working. You gain a lot of socials skills by being able to talk to customers day in and day out.

Cons

Hours can be long and the pay is minimum wage. Management can also difficult but they are upstanding most of the time.

Please treat red-badgers with more respect. Show that you value their work. I moved from red badger to black badger and the change in tone was drastic. It really irked me.

Worked there for 3 seasons

Former Employee - Foods & Merchanidise, Lifeguard, Entertainer in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everything. The people, the atmosphere, the age that you can start working, management, willing to work with your schedule, etc.

Cons

I don't think there are any benefits, at least not for lower-seasonal-only positions. Also, it's really easy to get a job here, so for people in Utah it's not the most impressive thing to have on a resume, but it's better than nothing. That's about it.

Keep it up :)