Laidlaw & Company UK Reviews

2.8
CEO

Investment advisor

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK

Pros

Excellent training program. Learned technical and fundamental analysis. Throughout my experience I learned risk management and how to diversify assets through different product mixes.

Cons

Difficult to say. I would have liked the opportunity to learn more about the banking side of the business. The investment banking division is a program I would have enjoyed alongside advising clients how to manage there assets.

2. Opportunity for series 7

Former Employee - Global Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Global Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK (Less than a year)

Pros

Sponsorship for Series 7 & 63

Cons

No corporate values, Chop shop

Taking this Job Changed My Life

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to build a wealth management business. Had an excellent structure in place to grow and thrive in this market. As long as you are a patient and driven person, this can be a very rewarding career choice.
    Clients of Laidlaw have access to an array of products not offered my many broker dealers.This really gives the firm a competitive advantage in the marketplace. Don't believe all the negativity you read about the brokerage business. If you are hungry and go the extra mile, then you can definitely succeed with this career path.

Cons

TVs could be bigger, more coffee choices. It's a great Company and I wanted to finish my career here but I had to relocate to the Midwest for personal reasons.

Advice to Management

More Company outings

Relationship oriented firm, with the most dynamic and unique investment products available on Wall st.

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fantastic organization from the top down. I have worked at several wealth management firms and can say with absolute conviction Laidlaw has the most dynamic investment vehicles and products available on Wall St. This is a team atmosphere starting from senior management down to junior brokers taking their first step in the industry. You will be given every tool available to not only establish yourself but to maintain lifelong relationships with your clients. It means alot, especially in this industry, to have the structure and support to create meaningful relationships with your clients. I would highly recommend Laidlaw not only to Financial Consultants seeking employment, but to retail investors looking for a firm on Wall st. that is first and foremost relationship driven.

Cons

The only con in my opinion is the work-life balance, which is pretty much a standard across the industry. You will have to put in the hours and be truly dedicated to your clients in order to succeed at Laidlaw.

Advice to Management

More coordination and open dialogue between the investment banking division and retail brokerage division of the firm.

Working at Laidlaw has been a fantastic learning experience for a young financial professional on Wall Street

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laidlaw employs an entrepreneurial attitude. This allows for the "go getters" to achieve a very rewarding career. Laidlaw has some of the best product on the street, including REITS, late stage venture capital, and private transactions which stands apart from the crowd of other investment banks.

Cons

To achieve success one must understand what type of career they are entering. As in any sales position you must desire to have success. You must have a very strong work ethic to achieve above average results which does mean working long hours throughout the week early in your career.

7. chop shop

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK

Pros

No pros very boring repetitive work !

Cons

The senior broker wanted me to open 80 accounts before getting on my own ! High way robbery . If you go to college for 4 years and take this job you might as well go wash dishes for a living that how bad this place is !

Advice to Management

Pay a fair salary !

Lots of learning and great experience, but not my long term career path.

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time

Pros

Great insider deals. As a broker, you have the luxury of selling insider stock of some of the hottest startups before they get public which lead to significant returns and commissions. Dynamic team, lots of hard work and positive energy.

Cons

They still use the old school Lehman brothers model developed in the 60's. I personally believe that it is outdated. The clientele is getting older as the younger rich are comfortable transacting over the internet with lower commissions. Why would a rational person pay 3-5% on a trade where they can get a trade for less then $10?

Advice to Management

Embrace technology and modify the business model appropriately. You may not have enough business when the internet generation reaches your target population's age.

Internship Experience

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of one aspect of the internship program I valued. I did not learn anything that helped me in my later career.

Cons

The leadership at the company was poor. Very little guidance and motivation- I simply cold called random executives I found on various social media websites.

Advice to Management

Take an interest in teaching your interns

It is what it is

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time

Pros

They offer you about the same as any other b/d if your a retail broker. Payout is slightly lower.

Cons

Laidlaw is just like any other b/d on the street but they try and act like they are different. If your a trainee, you'll be cold calling and getting your little check every two weeks. If you have a decent book you might be alright if you can keep everyone's hands out of it.

Advice to Management

What upper management? Oh those guys who don't let you do any business? Let people do business.

No pay and scumbag practices

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Laidlaw & Company UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You gain a basic understanding of private equity, SPVs, and pre-IPO investing.

Cons

Brokers expect you to work long hours for minimal pay (below minimum wage). It's a typical Wolf of Wall Street, Boiler Room kind of place that churns and burns its clients. Absolutely no thought is given towards the welfare of the clientele. You're cold-calling on the phone all day long hoping people don't slam the phone down in your ear.

Advice to Management

Become acquainted with best practices of financial planning and management. Teach financial advisors about how the market actually works so they're not purely salespeople.

RSS Feed </> Embed