Laird Plastics

3.5

Mark W Kramer

New--Absolutely Loving it!

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The first time I was introduced to Laird was by the CEO at a college career fair. If that doesn't already speak volumes I don't know what will. Granted not everybody has the enthusiasm Mark Kramer has, but the vast majority of Laird Plastics employees are extremely smart, driven individuals. Each time I meet a new person here, I become more confident in my decision to come aboard.

There are great mentorships and training set up for new hires, and your personal success seems to be one of the company's biggest priorities.

Cons

A lot of freedom. While I don't personally view this as a con, I think some people may. There is not a strict schedule and timeline of what to do and when. In order to be successful here, you need to be very internally driven and genuinely want to succeed past just getting a paycheck.

Keep doin what you're doin!

Great opportunity to develop talent and gain knowledge.

I have been working at Laird Plastics

Pros

Laird takes a different approach to its employees. They are very focused on maintaining an autonomous working environment. They empower them to make decisions concerning sales activities, purchasing activities, and daily activities. Great mentors to train and help learn the sales process, how to build customer relationships, and many other business operations.

Cons

No tools for CRM. There are no raises, any increase depends on your profit share. Inventory management is also lacking.

Invest in tools to succeed. CRM is the most effective way to access and store information regarding our customers. Invest in a system that actually helps not hinders.

It's a marathon not a sprint...

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Laird Plastics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous salary, pleasant work environment, good work/life balance.

Cons

Their training and employee development is lacking and should be much more standardized especially when luring someone away from a stable job for more money and the possibility of career growth.

If you're looking for someone to turn sales around in a year- tell them that up front so they know what the challenge is and let them know it's a sprint not a marathon. If you are not willing to devote a year in training and development of a new employee you shouldn't be hiring them. One year is nothing in the grand scheme of what someone's potential is in a position.

Best company I have ever worked for!

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Laird since 2001. It was rough then, but when our current CEO joined in 2002, things turned 180 degrees. He brought the Marine Corps values to the company, "walking the talk 100%"

The profit share program is open for all to participate based on effort and ability, whether a manager, salesperson, warehouse or admin person. The program is very lucrative in most locations.

The senior team has established a great vision and mission for the company; the direction is clear.

Laird is a great size for a company; big enough to carry a lot of clout in our industry, but small enough that no one is just "a number." I have worked for Fortune 100 companies before where I was a number.

Laird has tremendous positive momentum; we continue to grow in size and strength daily. Much of that is due to the attitudes of fellow team members. Most truly love what they do.

The "flat" pyramid can be good or bad. There certainly is opportunity for advancement to the right people. The con is that if one is not willing to relocate, advancement in position is somewhat limited; however, earning potential really is not limited.

Laird does have a management training program, facilitate in part by the CEO (yes, development is so important that the CEO makes time to be directly involved. I would match our CEO up against any executive in any industry...he's that good.)

Because people are not "commissioned", unethical sales practices are avoided; we are interested in building long term relationships rather than that one-time sale.

Laird encourages empowerment and people that think "outside the box."

I could go on and on, but as I'm sure you can tell, I love my job and my company.

Cons

Not all share my enthusiasm. A small percentage are not happy, probably because they are on "the wrong bus" not sharing the core values of honesty, integrity, hard work and continuous improvement and empowerment. My advice to the few negative people - please go elsewhere and leave us to our success. We will be happier as will you.

All of the upper management is fantastic, no comment needed. For the most part, middle management is excellent as well. All can always strive to be better, supporting our core value of continuous self-improvement!

Laird Plastics: Not Awful, Not Great

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Laird Plastics

Pros

The profit sharing plan has been very good at this company. Also, it is very handy to work for a plastics company if you have occasional need for pieces of various types of plastic. The management is very willing to allow employees to raid the scrap bin! Also, they allow use of the dumpster if there is room in it!

Cons

Some employees are given preferential treatment with regard to overtime availability and other "perks."

Warehouse management sometimes belittle certain employees based on personal issues, resulting in a somewhat hostile working environment. This environment adds stress and does not help the employees accomplish their jobs.

Empowerment at all levels

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laird plastics has great pay, profit share program, benefits, and is overall a great environment. They believe in honesty, integrity and empowerment at all levels and prove this day in and day out. Support from upper management is excellent and all of your success is recognized and rewarded. There is plenty of room to move up within the company, your hard work will pay off.

Cons

Because there are multiple locations, in most cases you need to be willing to relocate if you want to move up in the company.

Continue to hire bright people and milk their knowledge, then fire!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Laird Plastics

Pros

Great pay, Decent benefits, Profit Share plan great when it works, access to most of the top lines since the parent Blackfriars organization is huge

Cons

Poor vision, inept managers rewarded for making money at cost of human dignity, branch managers play favorites, horrible place for a woman to work,

If the management at Laird would read what is on the back of their business cards and live it "honesty, integrity, empowerment at all levels" rather that say it they would be far more successful, profit share unfair to all but the top rung of managers!