Lake County Public Schools

Dr. Susan Moxley

Great entry level IT Job

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work experience. Lots of Vacation/Sick time.

Cons

Low pay. Not much room for advancement.

Spend more time grooming current employees for advancement.

What a nightmare it had become

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I hate to even say it but I am certainly not alone in thinking this. Summer has become the only good thing about teaching in Lake County. But only if you already know that you have a job when school starts.

Cons

Teachers are not treated as professionals where we have input on how things are done, changed, improved. Rather we are told, "This is how you will now do it" my favorite is the quote... "The Research says" This is where yet another change is shoved down your throat based on someone in the county office getting a bright idea from something they read somewhere. No input is encouraged, criticism of any sort is frowned upon and will likely end with a non renewal of your contract or the elimination of your position with the explanation that it is "for the good of the kids. You are paid for 7.5 hours a day but have enough work to last for 15 hours a day and you are just expected to suck it up because after all it is for "the good of the kids".

Health insurance is very reasonably priced as long as you do not have your family on it otherwise it will cost you $13000 per year to insure them.

Turnover is very high throughout the county. Since new hires are only offered 1 year contracts the fact that 40% of the teachers are annual contract after only about 4 years of contracts being offered annually proves that this is a County that you might want to avoid. In fact the whole state.

The union is weak thanks to Florida being a "right to work" state and the fact that strikes are illegal makes it basically joke to even exist.

The school Board is pretty much exclusively made up of members that seem to exist to make it less and less desirable to work for the county as a teacher.

The county office is top heavy and full of people that have been there so long that they are out of touch with the realities of the classroom yet expect everyone to just adjust to their will and ideas of how things should be done.

Politics rule in Lake County, if you are looking to be an administrator then you best have a relative that works at the county level in some cases that I have seen and seeing any at all seems to be too much as far as I am concerned. There are administrators with 2-3 years of teaching experience that are now evaluating people with 20-30 years of teaching under their belts.

I went to the county office recently to notice that even though they are working in portables. These buildings are chocked full of high end smart boards, furniture and cooled to the point of feeling like a refrigerator. While we at the schools are expected to just make do with broken desks for students and teachers, lack of supplies, books etc and just expected to deal with it.

Let the teachers teach.
    Require 10 years or more of teaching experience in order to even be considered an administrator.
    Come up with some sort of retention system that is fair to the teachers rather than hanging them out to dry for 4 months per year. Yes the state mandated that tenure does not exist for new teachers but it does not mean that the teachers cannot be treated like disposables.

Pay us for at least an 8 hour day to make it more palatable when you work 10-12 hours a day or more.

Have the county office desk jockeys teach once in awhile and not to teachers. Make them substitute 2 days a week in the subject area they taught in before moving up to the county office. Maybe this way they can stay grounded in what they are supposed to be doing.

Get rid of this common planning requirement, we have enough to do as it is. It was talked about like it was a wonderful idea... Did anyone ask the teachers what they thought?

Hold the parents accountable when their kids are constant problems or are truant.

I could go on but need to stop somewhere because after all it is Sunday and I need to get work done, at home, for free for the upcoming week.

High School Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is easy to develop close relationships with colleagues, depending on the school and physical location of your classroom or office.

Cons

It is incredibly difficult to grow your career in Lake County. It operates as an ol' boys club, and when you're not one of them, you'll be very stationary. High-level administrators are much less concerned with you doing your job well than they are you telling them how great they are. Evaluations are not done with any consistency at all, even within a single school.

Think about investing in people that are good at what they do and that have shown commitment and passion for educating students.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cater to the complaints

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Eustis, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Eustis, FL

Pros

Summer's off, good people to work with.

Cons

Not recognized as a professional, students allowed to have all control. Administration's hands are tied with County rules. Horrible. Any county in Central Florida pays more with better environment.

Horrible

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Clermont, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Clermont, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None. I will be looking at leaving after 9 years of service.

Cons

Good Ole Boys System. The higher up's give themselves raises while they tell the teachers that their is no money for raises. ASU and Curriculum does not have a clue what they are doing. We have dropped to a "C" in the three years. School Board only cares about personal agenda, not the students or employees.. It is a complete circus.

Moxley needs to be fired, School Board needs to not be re-elected. Start over with a fresh group of leadership.

Amazing, motivated people, demanding (rewarding) work with limited prospects.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Groveland, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Groveland, FL

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with some of the most committed, ingenious, educators & administrators. District-wide, the goal is to achieve real, meaningful learning. Very rewarding to see the impact on students, even years later. Creativity & initiative are encouraged. Attempting to be a leader in education. Working hard to equip teachers & students with access to technology (though significant restrictions are still in place).

Cons

Micro-management from the district leadership (not as much from local admin). Too much work for too little pay. As soon as you master a major initiative, a new one is added on top -- this has been happening at an alarming rate over the past 10 years, but the past 5 years have seen the most dramatic increase in workload & overwhelming expectations. Teachers are told what to do with what should the their prerogative: tasked with specific do/don't lists for significant portions of class time, conflicting demands on time & focus being given by different district leaders, yet all instructions are expected to be followed.

To the school board/district leaders: empower your teachers, rather than pile more initiatives on top of them. People are burnt out. Some of your best educators are bailing because of low pay and doubling work loads. Give teachers the opportunity to determine every moment of their class time. Let each school decide what will work best for its students.

Slow to change, good ole boys

Former Employee - Educator  in  Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Educator in Clermont, FL

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simplicity, old school teaching and again good ole boys

Cons

not ready for common core curriculum

Top heavy administration leaves students and teachers helpless

Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Low cost of living, rewarding nature of working with students, decent employee-only benefits, great union representation, great superintendent that cares about students,

Cons

Lack of flexibility in the classroom, disproportionate funding for county administrative jobs vs in-school support positions, micromanaging, mismanaging, cover-ups of ethical violations, outrageous cost of family benefits, upper level administrators who hide things from superintendent, nepotism, close-minded policies by school board, intolerance of GLBT...

Cut the fat at the district office, invest in teachers, materials, curriculum, students and facilities and see how student achievement will improve.

Its ok

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools

Pros

Nice communities to live and work

Cons

The pay sucks. Can barely make ends meet.

Value your teachers through better compensation.

Fun place to work. Made great friends working here.

Current Employee - IT Technician  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools

Pros

Great environment to work. Great people to work with. Most people in the department are willing to help out and are team players.

Cons

Not enough advancement or training for IT staff and pay is on the lower end of the standard.

Management should provide regular training sessions for IT staff. There is also a need to look at re-writing job descriptions and looking at salaries. We are on the lower end of what is standard in our field and our job descriptions don't actually describe what we do.

Worked for Lake County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!