Lake County Public Schools

Dr. Susan Moxley

Great entry level IT Job

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work experience. Lots of Vacation/Sick time.

Cons

Low pay. Not much room for advancement.

Spend more time grooming current employees for advancement.

High School Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is easy to develop close relationships with colleagues, depending on the school and physical location of your classroom or office.

Cons

It is incredibly difficult to grow your career in Lake County. It operates as an ol' boys club, and when you're not one of them, you'll be very stationary. High-level administrators are much less concerned with you doing your job well than they are you telling them how great they are. Evaluations are not done with any consistency at all, even within a single school.

Think about investing in people that are good at what they do and that have shown commitment and passion for educating students.

Cater to the complaints

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Eustis, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Eustis, FL

Pros

Summer's off, good people to work with.

Cons

Not recognized as a professional, students allowed to have all control. Administration's hands are tied with County rules. Horrible. Any county in Central Florida pays more with better environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Clermont, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Clermont, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None. I will be looking at leaving after 9 years of service.

Cons

Good Ole Boys System. The higher up's give themselves raises while they tell the teachers that their is no money for raises. ASU and Curriculum does not have a clue what they are doing. We have dropped to a "C" in the three years. School Board only cares about personal agenda, not the students or employees.. It is a complete circus.

Moxley needs to be fired, School Board needs to not be re-elected. Start over with a fresh group of leadership.

Amazing, motivated people, demanding (rewarding) work with limited prospects.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Groveland, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Groveland, FL

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with some of the most committed, ingenious, educators & administrators. District-wide, the goal is to achieve real, meaningful learning. Very rewarding to see the impact on students, even years later. Creativity & initiative are encouraged. Attempting to be a leader in education. Working hard to equip teachers & students with access to technology (though significant restrictions are still in place).

Cons

Micro-management from the district leadership (not as much from local admin). Too much work for too little pay. As soon as you master a major initiative, a new one is added on top -- this has been happening at an alarming rate over the past 10 years, but the past 5 years have seen the most dramatic increase in workload & overwhelming expectations. Teachers are told what to do with what should the their prerogative: tasked with specific do/don't lists for significant portions of class time, conflicting demands on time & focus being given by different district leaders, yet all instructions are expected to be followed.

To the school board/district leaders: empower your teachers, rather than pile more initiatives on top of them. People are burnt out. Some of your best educators are bailing because of low pay and doubling work loads. Give teachers the opportunity to determine every moment of their class time. Let each school decide what will work best for its students.

Slow to change, good ole boys

Former Employee - Educator  in  Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Educator in Clermont, FL

I worked at Lake County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simplicity, old school teaching and again good ole boys

Cons

not ready for common core curriculum

Top heavy administration leaves students and teachers helpless

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Low cost of living, rewarding nature of working with students, decent employee-only benefits, great union representation, great superintendent that cares about students,

Cons

Lack of flexibility in the classroom, disproportionate funding for county administrative jobs vs in-school support positions, micromanaging, mismanaging, cover-ups of ethical violations, outrageous cost of family benefits, upper level administrators who hide things from superintendent, nepotism, close-minded policies by school board, intolerance of GLBT...

Cut the fat at the district office, invest in teachers, materials, curriculum, students and facilities and see how student achievement will improve.

Its ok

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools

Pros

Nice communities to live and work

Cons

The pay sucks. Can barely make ends meet.

Value your teachers through better compensation.

Fun place to work. Made great friends working here.

Current Employee - IT Technician  in  Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Lake County Public Schools

Pros

Great environment to work. Great people to work with. Most people in the department are willing to help out and are team players.

Cons

Not enough advancement or training for IT staff and pay is on the lower end of the standard.

Management should provide regular training sessions for IT staff. There is also a need to look at re-writing job descriptions and looking at salaries. We are on the lower end of what is standard in our field and our job descriptions don't actually describe what we do.

Expect a lot but gives little

Current Employee - Educator
    Current Employee - Educator

Pros

The students in my North Lake County are typically respectful.

Cons

The county is way behind technologically and pay is low compared to surrounding counties.

Treat your teachers with respect. Choose what is vital to learning and work on implenting those as opposed to throwing everything at the teachers with no real support or direction and expecting it all to work. It's exhausting and is leading to teachers leaving the county and profession.

Worked for Lake County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!