Lake Lanier Islands Resort

Mike Williams

Good place to work

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort part-time (more than an year)

Pros

outside work environment, exciting and fast paced

Cons

long hours, hard work life balance

identify key employees and reward commitment and experience

Fun company to work for but pay sucks for the amount of work

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort

Pros

Great culture and you get the opportunity to build lasting relationships and friends for a lifetime

Cons

80 hours a week for manager positions and pay is not competitive

Pay employees what they deserve to make

LOVED what I did the management left a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts on the islands, my kids loved the B&WP and MNOL.

Cons

Management, pay, worked there 6 years only got two raises and one of those was a promotion. Benefits were terrible the employee paid 75 % of their insurance premiums, the company did not pay any for dependents, no 401k contribution either. If you were in sales you had it made everyone else worked their butts off

Give raises, don't be so focused on the bottom line.

Enjoyable because of what you get to do... create a great experience at a beautiful place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful setting, great environment from the client's perspective. Employee discounts and admissions to events are lots of fun!

Cons

The office culture is mostly toxic; gossip, back biting... people just waiting for others to fail. "The fish stinks from the head down"; great example of poor leadership environment. Not much time off at all... especially during the season. Missed out on many family celebrations because of my "dedication" to the job. Never again. Please know, it's not bad and you can make it work if you must, just not me. I have more that I need out of life.

Invest in your people. Have team members worth following. Those who can succeed elsewhere will not have longevity in your organization. People are your greatest asset. Successful business owners know the value of stewarding the seats in their company well; realizing this importance and responsibility is what can set you apart. Your employees are an extension of the organization--value them well.

Fun place to work. Middle management needs help.

Former Employee - Bartender in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people. Always outside.

Cons

It is HOT in GA in the summer!! Middle management and supervisors can't make any decisions on their own. Long days/nights with no breaks.

Let supervisors run their area/department and you worry about the big picture. Too much micro managing going on.

Challenging, invigorating, beautiful... the sense of satisfaction came from clients who were well pleased.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The beauty of the setting makes driving into work seem as though you are in the best place possible! To live the brand of "fun"--to be the purveyor of company appreciation events, meetings, etc. seemed to be the perfect match for me.

Cons

Work-life balance is mostly nonexistent. If you have a life, think twice. I only wish that this reality had been presented up front; I would not have accepted the position. My professional experience encompasses a different management style--one a bit more up to date that allows for autonomy and flexibility-especially for those who are clearly contributing. Need to see people as people not only as a means to an end. Employment is a two way street--thankfully there are other options available. Culturally this was just not the right fit for me.

Implementation of a system that treats all employees with equality, respect and value. The variety of positions necessary to staff the resort and park is so vast therefore resulting in a cross-cultural and diverse population. PEOPLE MATTER! Leadership training among management is lacking; I believe there are plenty who are capable, but yet the investment has not been made. Take some of those dollars budgeted and spent on aesthetics of the surroundings and invest in your people. A strong team will generate the success you're looking for! Invest first in your people then the rest will come.

Wonderful clients and great opportunity to network as well but too much organizational dysfunction. .

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The beauty of the lake and events are a lot of fun. Many departments work well together-there is a sense of "team" especially among the operations crew responsible for Lanierworld.

Cons

Poor communication among departments; lack of respect amongst employees of most levels. Office environment is very unprofessional. Systems and tools administered to be effective on the job are quite antiquated.

Your teams need leadership training in huge ways; they need to learn more strategic leadership methods, the first of which is engaging in relationships based first upon mutual respect. Then you need to determine who in management is worth following. You cannot lead if you don't have anything worth following. Work-life balance is mostly nonexistent. Work on an internal framework that doesn't exhaust your people to the degree of resignations. There is so much value in retaining the "performing employees"; don't wear them out.

Great place to learn!

Current Employee - Banquet Cook
    Current Employee - Banquet Cook

I have been working at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Williams family strives for the most superior environment that guests look for. The environment is one to really learn in and grow in your industry.

Cons

Some of the management is "unsatisfactory." Makes it hard to work sometimes.

A job with great benefits in a beautiful location, but that is undervalued and under-compensated.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A position at the resort offers great coworkers and nice recreational benefits,

Cons

Owners plan and implement new programs without enough planning or listening to concerns and ideas of managers, establishing proper infrastructure or training.
    Owners put pressure on management to maximize profit by cutting labor to the point that staff is very stressed.

Spend time planning before implementing new programs. Value, listen to, and reward your employees, who have great ideas, want to be loyal, and need longevity.

This job was adventurous, fun , exciting, and interactive.

Former Employee - Reservationist, Concierge in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Reservationist, Concierge in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting new people and networking.

Cons

There weather is unpredictable, but that is uncontrollable.

Listen to what the employees have to say to better the system of how to improve on different proficiency techniques.