Lake Lanier Islands Resort

Mike Williams

Great place to learn!

Current Employee - Banquet Cook
    Current Employee - Banquet Cook

I have been working at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Williams family strives for the most superior environment that guests look for. The environment is one to really learn in and grow in your industry.

Cons

Some of the management is "unsatisfactory." Makes it hard to work sometimes.

Challenging, invigorating, beautiful... the sense of satisfaction came from clients who were well pleased.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time for less than a year

Pros

The beauty of the setting makes driving into work seem as though you are in the best place possible! To live the brand of "fun"--to be the purveyor of company appreciation events, meetings, etc. seemed to be the perfect match for me.

Cons

Work-life balance is mostly nonexistent. If you have a life, think twice. I only wish that this reality had been presented up front; I would not have accepted the position. My professional experience encompasses a different management style--one a bit more up to date that allows for autonomy and flexibility-especially for those who are clearly contributing. Need to see people as people not only as a means to an end. Employment is a two way street--thankfully there are other options available. Culturally this was just not the right fit for me.

Implementation of a system that treats all employees with equality, respect and value. The variety of positions necessary to staff the resort and park is so vast therefore resulting in a cross-cultural and diverse population. PEOPLE MATTER! Leadership training among management is lacking; I believe there are plenty who are capable, but yet the investment has not been made. Take some of those dollars budgeted and spent on aesthetics of the surroundings and invest in your people. A strong team will generate the success you're looking for! Invest first in your people then the rest will come.

Wonderful clients and great opportunity to network as well but too much organizational dysfunction. .

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time for more than a year

Pros

The beauty of the lake and events are a lot of fun. Many departments work well together-there is a sense of "team" especially among the operations crew responsible for Lanierworld.

Cons

Poor communication among departments; lack of respect amongst employees of most levels. Office environment is very unprofessional. Systems and tools administered to be effective on the job are quite antiquated.

Your teams need leadership training in huge ways; they need to learn more strategic leadership methods, the first of which is engaging in relationships based first upon mutual respect. Then you need to determine who in management is worth following. You cannot lead if you don't have anything worth following. Work-life balance is mostly nonexistent. Work on an internal framework that doesn't exhaust your people to the degree of resignations. There is so much value in retaining the "performing employees"; don't wear them out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Invigorating in some ways, exasperating in others

I have been working at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time

Pros

Love the clients, the staff is so hard working almost to a fault.

Cons

Staff is over worked and exhausted. The leadership has little regard for work-life balance and family.

Wake up and see the organizational dysfunction. Respect and value those that give their all to the place. Plan then implement rather than react.

A job with great benefits in a beautiful location, but that is undervalued and under-compensated.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A position at the resort offers great coworkers and nice recreational benefits,

Cons

Owners plan and implement new programs without enough planning or listening to concerns and ideas of managers, establishing proper infrastructure or training.
    Owners put pressure on management to maximize profit by cutting labor to the point that staff is very stressed.

Spend time planning before implementing new programs. Value, listen to, and reward your employees, who have great ideas, want to be loyal, and need longevity.

This job was adventurous, fun , exciting, and interactive.

Former Employee - Reservationist, Concierge  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Reservationist, Concierge in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Meeting new people and networking.

Cons

There weather is unpredictable, but that is uncontrollable.

Listen to what the employees have to say to better the system of how to improve on different proficiency techniques.

I enjoyed my time at Lake Lanier, but did not see a long term career path with growth. Good for local employment.

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great network of people that become your family, you will work hard for and spend time with outside work. Beautiful surroundings and opportunities for work perks.

Cons

No regular work evaluations, so no assurance for a raise. Raises are far and few between, and if received less than ideal. Try to do too much with less.

Invest more money in your staff to retain dedicated workers, rather than spend money on infrastructure to try and make more money.

Ok, not what you expect but you do at the same time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buford, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

I have been working at Lake Lanier Islands Resort part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work, and you stay busy. Seems like your aprecciated a couple years until you max out what you can get paid

Cons

limited hours, limited income as well as being here longer or9i working harder doesnt usually cause you to work more hours or get a promotion. Also too much favoritism, people who never work get management and not even qualified

Favoritism is bad, as well as its good to give hard working employee chances to get promoted and not the lazy ones.

Overall, it was a great job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort

Pros

We got free waterpark access! They provide $3 employee meals while you're working. It was a fun environment to work in, and the people were very friendly.

Cons

The uniforms in the heat were terrible. Sometimes my store was very slow so I had nothing to do for 2 hours.

I enjoyed how much management cared about customer service and encouraged everyone to always look and act our best, which was an important lesson to learn.

Yellow jackets, bees, & wasp -- oh MY!

Former Employee - BWP Food Host & Server
    Former Employee - BWP Food Host & Server

I worked at Lake Lanier Islands Resort

Pros

Cute lifeguards. Just kidding... but some of them were. Working in Foods equals free food.
    Great people at times. Different places to work.
    I worked there before (2009, the previous summer) so I got a whole 0.25 cent raise.
    The lifeguards got jackets. I wasn't a lifeguard.
    Made some great friends. For a little while.
    Can use cell phone sometimes.

Cons

It is outside: HOT.
    Being on your feet for hours on end. Some times NOT getting the 30 minute break, while my supervisor got at least 2.
    No where near enough pay for all the physical and mental work that goes into anything.
    Had to beg and plead to find out that there were no jackets and to get a decent schedule.
    No one (supervisors) talks and discusses things with each other.
    Customers ask me questions that Admissions or Retail should know. My supervisors didn't tell me anything.
    Never served beer/alcohol before and supervisor got mad at me.
    Yellow jackets, bees & wasp.
    Supervisors don't really care and when there is a lack of the lower level supers, you have to do their work for seasonal pay.
    Lots of unnecessary language and constant smoking.
    Customers getting mad when slides are shut down because there are not enough life guards.
    There was a good bit of wasted food.

Get to know your employees and don't treat them like crap. Everyone that works the mandated 6 or 8 hours needs to get their 30 min break that they deserve. Give better deals. Make the customers AND the employees want to come [back] too.
    Lifeguards need to be treated better.
    The customer is not always right. A job is just a place without any workers.

Worked for Lake Lanier Islands Resort? Contribute to the Community!