Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews

Bo Kaplan

Five years plus-

Current Employee - Customer Service in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Have worked in customer service area for over 5 years. Teachers and parents love our products. Fun to hear that everyday. Quality and customer service take on an intense level of importance here. They really are serious about taking care of customers. Good benis , profit sharing, work with smart people and although I don't use it, nice to walk by our onsite childcare center everyday. Parents really seem to like having it so close.

Cons

Parking can be a little tough. Company continues to grow rapidly. Having multiple buildings on campus makes it a little tough to meet folks from other depts.

Work on communicating with other departments about the remarkable feedback we get from customers. Sometimes unless you work directly with customers, you don't get the stories. Never worked at a place where customers loved us as much.

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had nothing but great experiences in my years with Lakeshore! I have been given opportunities to learn a variety of different departments which has increased my versatility and also kept me challenged. It is a fast paced environment but it makes the day move quickly and honestly I think most people prefer working on a team that moves with urgency. At Lakeshore you have a voice. Leaders are always willing to hear suggestions and creative thinking. Not all ideas will work, but I never feel discouraged by sharing them. Lakeshore is a family run company that truly feels like a family (a big one!). Also lots of perks such as profit sharing program, 401K, company fun days throughout the year, company on-site preschool and tram to take you to your car. Also, some departments have early hour schedules that allow employees to begin working as early as 6am and therefore can leave before the normal 5pm schedule.

Cons

Not really any down sides. The parking at the main building can be tough if you arrive after 8am and restaurants in the area are not great, but the company has recently invited gourmet food trucks to the parking lot at lunch to help with that.

Lakeshore is a phenomenal company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is family owned and operated, has been profitable every year for the past 50 yrs, challenging and interesting work, leader in its industry, great people to work with who are passionate and dedicated to the mission of the company, thoughtful focus on employee engagement, longevity/tenure of staff, competitive pay and benefits package, profit sharing, food trucks, casual dress, on-site daycare, generous employee-discount. Management is thoughtful in decision-making process, and genuinely cares about employees. In my role, I have all of the tools that I need to do my job and do it well.

Cons

There aren't many -- as I read other reviews, I feel like my experience is quite different. Yes this this a fast-paced environment that is at times demanding, but I wouldn't say that I am micromanaged, but rather held accountable, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that -- any sound company does this. In general, the more you give to Lakeshore, the more you get. I've worked for a traditional corporation who was struggling, and this is pretty much the opposite -- Lakeshore is thriving as an organization, and I feel very fortunate to work here. If I had one con/complaint, it would be that there isn't a ton of flexibility in my schedule.

Quirky company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation: Slightly above average starting pay with yearly raises and profit sharing after 3 years.
    - Office culture: Was unique but borderline strange. It took my back to my grade school days when if I did something "good" I was rewarded with a sticker or scratcher and a chance to spin a wheel of prizes.
    - Coworkers had diverse background and experience
    - Good work/life balance: If you're looking for a job where you can clock in and clock out. This place will work. If you are self-motivated and looking for a place that will help you grow professionally, look elsewhere.

Cons

- Job stability/turnover rate: Some departments had a really high turnover rate. Lots of hiring and firing happening all the time. Always feeling like you can be canned because of "changes in direction"
    - Management qualifications: Nepotism is not lost here. Being a family owned company, it's ingrained in the company culture as is all the gossip and brown nosing.
    - Office environment: The place runs like an Elementary school. Everyone other than the 4 executives are expected to be in their seat by 8:30am, everyone takes the same lunch from 12-12:45 and wander around the parking lot like recess and everyone leave right when the bell rings at 5pm. You get called into the "Principals" office via loudspeaker.

Trust in your employees experience/expertise and train leadership to evaluate employees, proposals, products, creative etc based on the company's strategic goals and vision. A lot of the processes in place, forced employees to work harder and not smarter.

Enter at Your Own Risk

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

On the surface, everything is peachy here. Casual dress, profit bonus after length of time with the company, good benefits, on-site preschool and "no titles" to name a few. Don't be fooled.

Cons

This organization is plagued by many problems. Yes, it is a small company so you won't have to deal with "bureaucracy" but you will still have to deal with egos and and a "because I'm your boss and I said so" mentality. You get ahead by kissing behind and cow-towing to the people in charge. You often work on a project for months on end only to be told it is no longer a priority.

I could tell stories about this place that would make your toes curl. However, I am not the kind of person that defames others. I just wish to encourage everyone who might be considering beginning a relationship with this company to think twice. I consider myself a hard-working person with integrity and I found it extremely difficult and stressful to work here.

Does anyone else find it ironic that several "5 star" reviews have been added right in a row, and recently? I have heard from more than one source that management purposely asks employees to write good reviews when bad ones have been posted. Simply pointing out some information that might be helpful to evaluate this company.

The worst part is that management probably honestly thinks they are doing right by their employees. But they are not. I'm not sure how you sleep at night (but probably on piles of money made off the backs of your hard-working and sometimes blindly-loyal employees).

Rule by fear

Former Contractor - Art in Carson, CA
    Former Contractor - Art in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Childcare on site
    Great store discount
    Casual atmosphere
    Supportive peers

Cons

Micromanage
    Some managers rule by fear
    Owners scream in the hallways

Get management counseling

worst 3 years of my life!!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

back then compensation was fair.

Cons

drama, uneducated managers who are insecure and rude. Gossip everywhere about everyone. it doesn't matter what you do is whose butt you are willing to kiss. Upper Management is so used to people kissing their butts is expected and rewarded. the owner is a joke and rude. So glad i"m no longer there!

get off your high horses and evaluate people for their work.

I wouldn't recommend.

Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some novel, morale boosting perks: a nice all day Halloween event and weekly summer giveaways (lunch bags, ice cream, etc)
    Very nice, if not somewhat oblivious, owner.
    Stable, low competitive niche in the education industry for what should be job security.

Cons

Low wages / high stress on production and service.
    High turnover (ALWAYS hiring for the same positions because of this, see job boards)
    Absurd pressure from management to "walk at a brisk pace, smiling at all times"-- to a ludicrous degree. Your break time becomes company time because of all the judgment and inter department gossip between management.
    Unprofessional, seniority-biased leadership. In one case a manager was lying to the owner about production numbers. This was then covered up and simply led to dept. transfer and a lower level staff member being terminated.
    Overcharged shipping fees consistently to customer with a lot of subterfuge.

Be honest. Impartial. Respect ownership and be transparent in all you do. Other than that, the system for all its flaws seems to keep upper management happy.

Good contract employer

Former Contractor - Production Artist in Carson, CA
    Former Contractor - Production Artist in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the product art dept. on a contract basis. Project was organized, everything had a schedule and a list of to do's was easy to follow. Even though it was contract work they paid time and a half for overtime, also gave dinners on those days. Paid weekly, and gave you a check on the last day of work before you left. Coworkers are friendly, hard working, and help each other out. Fun and friendly work environment.

Cons

My commute was long, but the compensation and coworkers made it worth it. Would have liked a longer contract.

Great products, fun people, demanding atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Pros

Multiple opportunities to learn and move up in your career. Most coworkers fun to be around. Very good compensation and benefits. Company is financially healthy -- rarely worry about layoffs. Have the satisfaction of knowing that you're contributing to the education of children.

Cons

Hours can be long, pace can be intense. Questionable promotions at times. Former CEO (who has not fully retired) has a very short fuse, known for actually screaming at people as though they are children. Inadequate parking at the office building.

Since the profit bonus checks have become noticeably smaller in recent years, consider replacing this benefit with a commitment to offer larger raises to all deserving employees.