Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.7

Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Profit sharing/bonus after 2 years of employment (in 14 reviews)

• Casual dress is a plus and employees support each other, professionally and personally (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Friendly environment, family orientated

Cons

Freelance jobs end suddenly

Good Company to work for

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Great environment
    Benefits are good/Competitive salary
    Management is good

Cons

Stress during busy times of season

A Great Place to Work (with a few catches)

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Challenging (in a good way) environment surrounded by hardworking, creative people who truly care about their jobs. My department in particular doesn't have a lot of turnover, so I've gotten to know people and developed genuine friendships. Casual dress, outstanding health insurance, profit sharing, fun events throughout the year, and more than adequate compensation (with the potential for a raise every year).

Cons

-Family-owned, so there are people in positions of power that maybe shouldn't be there (nepotism).
    -Profit sharing continues to go down even though the company is thriving and more profitable than ever.
    -You're expected to make the company the number 1 priority in your life, and that's both ridiculous and unfair.
    -The owner has been known to fly off the handle, to the point where you can actually hear him yelling at employees in his office or as he walks down the hall. This breeds a culture of fear, making some people terrified of making actual decisions. It seems like you have to have the approval of 30 people for every stupid thing because everyone's afraid of the consequences should they make a mistake. This also leads to a culture of finger pointing.
    -Some departments have a lot of turnover (not mine). It can be difficult to establish stable working relationships if you're constantly having to deal with new people.
    -There's a very Big Brother-like atmosphere where you feel like you're being watched. When an employee gets fired, he/she is called down to HR and a supervisor immediately boxes up that employee's things…and then it's as if that person never existed. You're not even allowed to say goodbye to people you may have worked with for years, nor are you always given an explanation as to why that person was terminated. This makes everyone else wonder just how secure their own job is.
    -If you want to advance—and I mean really advance—be prepared to nod your head and say yes a lot.

-Get to know all your employees, not just the management types. You'll be surprised at how many hidden gems you have shackled to a cubicle somewhere.
    -Increase profit sharing to more accurately reflect the company's success. The company is successful because of your employees; reward them. If necessary, cut down on some of the extras throughout the year and invest that money into the profit sharing checks. Employees appreciate this benefit, but it's hard not to feel resentful when we keep hearing how great everything is going and then see less and less in our checks.

Great part time job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun, friendly vibe

Cons

Not enough hours in the week

Lakeshore

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor

Pros

Friendly, fun events, talented, great pay, great learning experience.

Cons

There are no con for this company

Quality control clerk at carson warehouse

Current Employee - Quality Control Clerk
    Current Employee - Quality Control Clerk

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Monday-Friday. Paid holidays. Aside from that I don't think there is anything else I can think of unless you want to add the profit sharing bonus after two years of employment.

Cons

A lot of overtime during November-early January and June-August. Our regular 7-3:30 shift would turn into 6am-4pm and sometimes until 5. Occasionally having to work on a Saturday as well but that was rare.
    Management was also horrible. I used to get singled out for a lot of things that others did but they never got in trouble. Example... Holding a pen in my mouth while checking an order. I was told it was dangerous. Honestly the place is a bunch of drama. I was eventually laid off and honest to god it was the best day of my life when I found out. Later I found out the reason the manager did not like me was because I guy she liked liked me instead. Good riddance.

Stop micromanaging. I can only speak for my post-pick department. But seriously stop treating everyone like crap.

Good contract employer

Former Employee - Production Artist in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the product art dept. on a contract basis. Project was organized, everything had a schedule and a list of to do's was easy to follow. Even though it was contract work they paid time and a half for overtime, also gave dinners on those days. Paid weekly, and gave you a check on the last day of work before you left. Coworkers are friendly, hard working, and help each other out. Fun and friendly work environment.

Cons

My commute was long, but the compensation and coworkers made it worth it. Would have liked a longer contract.

Not for millennials, Managers lack Integrity

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Privately owned. Good benefits after 90 days of probation. Profit sharing/bonus after 2 years of employment. Company is well known among teachers and educators.

Cons

Very little chance for growth or ever being promoted. Lots of internal drama and politics, especially in small departments. No training whatsoever! Degraded when asked questions. Lack of integrity amongst the old-timers (texting for 20 minutes straight, using GTalk to chat with friends, etc.). Lack of diversity - mainly hire women who are 45+ years old and since they've been there for 12+ years, new (especially younger employees) are isolated and treated differently.

Have some integrity! Just because you've been there longer than a newly hired associate has lived, doesn't mean you can degrade them and cover their desk with all of your work. Provide concrete training and measurements of detecting when someone is ready to interact with customers. Welcome questions and understand that what's second nature to you is a foreign language to a newly hired employee. Respect is not innately bestowed, you need to earn it by the way you treat the littlest among you.

Feel like you're back in Kindergarten

Former Employee - Marketing in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay. Good for mothers interested in onsite daycare and product discounts

Cons

Culture is strange you'll feel like you are back in Kindergarten. Lots of drama with management. Lay offs are frequent

None

Good pay, decent benefits, no long days...but it'll cost you your self-esteem

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I'm paid just slightly above fair market to perform my job. Long hours are not expected. On-site daycare/preschool available to employees only. Having babies is de rigueur here. There's an exceptionally high percentage of pregnant women at this company at any given point in time. Good or bad, most employees are female. If I had to guess, most are high school graduate level with some college educated. Many employees have long tenures at Lakeshore. Despite the owners, the employees are amazing with few exceptions. Despite the "positive" that some employees have been there a long time, this is also a giant negative. Many are in constant fear of being fired and thus are terrified of change. Trying to update a process that's inefficient with a bunch of people who don't want to change anything is incredibly painful to swallow. Most employees are perky and friendly. Modest profit-sharing is offered after 2 years of employment.

Cons

Lakeshore is located in a "ghetto" of industrial parkways butted up against shady low-income neighborhoods. Employee vehicles are frequently vandalized as there is no security. Anyone can come and go freely in and out of the buildings as well. General feeling of uneasiness among current employees who fear ex-coworkers re-entering the buildings to unleash their distaste for the place. No windows in any of the offices. Picture cube-land with surgical florescent overhead lights, confetti colored linoleum and grey walls in the offices and juvenile primary colors throughout the maze of hallways. Corporate offices are converted warehouses with poor heating and cooling regulation. Plan on wearing your winter clothes year-round. Management style is a "rule by fear" trickle-down from the patriarch of the private family-owned company. Threat of violence and terror is how things get done here. Instead of employees focusing on how to do their best and get the best product out, the sole focus of everyone's job is instead on how to avoid getting screamed at by the owners. If you enjoy seeing grown men throw monumental, obscenity-filled temper tantrums, this this is the place for you. This atmosphere breeds a "get thrown under the bus" environment where many hours are spent trying to figure out WHO messed up rather than HOW we can avoid it happening again. Most employees are miserable clock-watchers. Lakeshore is a revolving door for quality new-hires who quickly figure out how challenging it is to nurture a brand under the above-mentioned circumstances. Out of touch with modern technologies and are inefficiency proponents. Most processes are incredibly antiquated driven by a paper-based system of sharing information. New concepts and procedures are seen as threats and are NOT encouraged. For those who are bold enough to desire improvement in attitudes, procedures or atmosphere and try to implement change they are quickly thwarted or quietly dismissed from the company. Congeniality beats competence in the test for longevity here. If you don't contribute much but you're really, really nice, you'll likely never be fired. However, if you stick up for yourself when wrongly accused or, you aren't sweet as cream, you may get a call to HR at 3pm one day and never come back. Your current workforce skills will start to die away and new ones will not be developed. There's no lunch room or outdoor seating to handle the number of employees here. Most people bring their lunches from home and sit in their cars or eat at their desks because lunches are only 45 minutes long and decent restaurants are too far away. Profit-sharing amounts aren't substantial enough to keep good employees.

Invest in market analysis and focus groups instead of assuming you know what customers want. Provide your employees with a full, covered outdoor eating area with sufficient seating. Encourage a healthier atmosphere by putting an end to the influx of sugar you offer as treats to an employee base who is already 90% severely obese. Having a private gym and daily catering that only the 3 family members have access to is distasteful. We don't want to see that, especially after we have to walk past your brand new Teslas every morning. Keep in mind that the boasting throughout the year of how many million-dollar days we have is logged into every employee's mind so when profit sharing rolls around and we see that the amount never seems to increase despite our profits having increased, we REALLY start to despise those Teslas, catered lunches, and the high-end gym you keep for yourselves.

Lakeshore Learning Materials Photos