Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
3.4

Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Profit sharing/bonus after 2 years of employment (in 14 reviews)

• Casual dress is a plus and employees support each other, professionally and personally (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had nothing but great experiences in my years with Lakeshore! I have been given opportunities to learn a variety of different departments which has increased my versatility and also kept me challenged. It is a fast paced environment but it makes the day move quickly and honestly I think most people prefer working on a team that moves with urgency. At Lakeshore you have a voice. Leaders are always willing to hear suggestions and creative thinking. Not all ideas will work, but I never feel discouraged by sharing them. Lakeshore is a family run company that truly feels like a family (a big one!). Also lots of perks such as profit sharing program, 401K, company fun days throughout the year, company on-site preschool and tram to take you to your car. Also, some departments have early hour schedules that allow employees to begin working as early as 6am and therefore can leave before the normal 5pm schedule.

Cons

Not really any down sides. The parking at the main building can be tough if you arrive after 8am and restaurants in the area are not great, but the company has recently invited gourmet food trucks to the parking lot at lunch to help with that.

Lakeshore is a phenomenal company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is family owned and operated, has been profitable every year for the past 50 yrs, challenging and interesting work, leader in its industry, great people to work with who are passionate and dedicated to the mission of the company, thoughtful focus on employee engagement, longevity/tenure of staff, competitive pay and benefits package, profit sharing, food trucks, casual dress, on-site daycare, generous employee-discount. Management is thoughtful in decision-making process, and genuinely cares about employees. In my role, I have all of the tools that I need to do my job and do it well.

Cons

There aren't many -- as I read other reviews, I feel like my experience is quite different. Yes this this a fast-paced environment that is at times demanding, but I wouldn't say that I am micromanaged, but rather held accountable, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that -- any sound company does this. In general, the more you give to Lakeshore, the more you get. I've worked for a traditional corporation who was struggling, and this is pretty much the opposite -- Lakeshore is thriving as an organization, and I feel very fortunate to work here. If I had one con/complaint, it would be that there isn't a ton of flexibility in my schedule.

Quirky company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation: Slightly above average starting pay with yearly raises and profit sharing after 3 years.
    - Office culture: Was unique but borderline strange. It took my back to my grade school days when if I did something "good" I was rewarded with a sticker or scratcher and a chance to spin a wheel of prizes.
    - Coworkers had diverse background and experience
    - Good work/life balance: If you're looking for a job where you can clock in and clock out. This place will work. If you are self-motivated and looking for a place that will help you grow professionally, look elsewhere.

Cons

- Job stability/turnover rate: Some departments had a really high turnover rate. Lots of hiring and firing happening all the time. Always feeling like you can be canned because of "changes in direction"
    - Management qualifications: Nepotism is not lost here. Being a family owned company, it's ingrained in the company culture as is all the gossip and brown nosing.
    - Office environment: The place runs like an Elementary school. Everyone other than the 4 executives are expected to be in their seat by 8:30am, everyone takes the same lunch from 12-12:45 and wander around the parking lot like recess and everyone leave right when the bell rings at 5pm. You get called into the "Principals" office via loudspeaker.

Trust in your employees experience/expertise and train leadership to evaluate employees, proposals, products, creative etc based on the company's strategic goals and vision. A lot of the processes in place, forced employees to work harder and not smarter.

Rule by fear

Former Contractor - Art in Carson, CA
    Former Contractor - Art in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Childcare on site
    Great store discount
    Casual atmosphere
    Supportive peers

Cons

Micromanage
    Some managers rule by fear
    Owners scream in the hallways

Get management counseling

worst 3 years of my life!!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

back then compensation was fair.

Cons

drama, uneducated managers who are insecure and rude. Gossip everywhere about everyone. it doesn't matter what you do is whose butt you are willing to kiss. Upper Management is so used to people kissing their butts is expected and rewarded. the owner is a joke and rude. So glad i"m no longer there!

get off your high horses and evaluate people for their work.

I wouldn't recommend.

Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some novel, morale boosting perks: a nice all day Halloween event and weekly summer giveaways (lunch bags, ice cream, etc)
    Very nice, if not somewhat oblivious, owner.
    Stable, low competitive niche in the education industry for what should be job security.

Cons

Low wages / high stress on production and service.
    High turnover (ALWAYS hiring for the same positions because of this, see job boards)
    Absurd pressure from management to "walk at a brisk pace, smiling at all times"-- to a ludicrous degree. Your break time becomes company time because of all the judgment and inter department gossip between management.
    Unprofessional, seniority-biased leadership. In one case a manager was lying to the owner about production numbers. This was then covered up and simply led to dept. transfer and a lower level staff member being terminated.
    Overcharged shipping fees consistently to customer with a lot of subterfuge.

Be honest. Impartial. Respect ownership and be transparent in all you do. Other than that, the system for all its flaws seems to keep upper management happy.

Great product, company needs improvement

Current Employee - Store Employee
    Current Employee - Store Employee

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, employee discount

Cons

Unorganized, lack of planning, employees are not valued (all levels of employment)

Do what you preach

Great place

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Friendly environment, family orientated

Cons

Freelance jobs end suddenly

Good Company to work for

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Great environment
    Benefits are good/Competitive salary
    Management is good

Cons

Stress during busy times of season

Great part time job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun, friendly vibe

Cons

Not enough hours in the week

Lakeshore Learning Materials Photos