Lakeshore Learning Materials

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Modest profit-sharing is offered after 2 years of employment (in 14 reviews)

• Casual dress code, employee recognition and perks (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb (in 3 reviews)

I love this company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Positive & fun work atmosphere *Flexible schedule, great for college students *Rewarding job/ positive acknowledgement *Management is phenomenal

Cons

*Our store has a weak air conditioning system (that is all I can complain about).

Advice to Management

I am so impressed with my store manager at Lakeshore(Fountain Valley, CA) she goes above and beyond to acknowledge her employees for great customer service. She always has a positive attitude and keeps her cool in stressful situations. She is everything that a manager should be. She deserves positive recognition for everything she brings to this company.

IT'S JUST A JOB SITE, NOT CAREER!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Private gym - Only if you're the owner. - Lunch warmed up and ready by noon daily by the Ops team - Only if you're the owner. - Close parking - if you're the owner or if you're a lifer (25 yrs +)... but that is a life sentence! - Can roll out of bed and head to work, no dress or personal hygiene code what so ever. - Profit "sharing" after 2 years of employment, yet nobody can give you a clear answer on how that is calculated. Ironically, the company has 45+ Million Dollar Days in a row and the checks are not getting bigger, well at least for the employees they are not. -Summer Surprise - Every Wednesday for 5 weeks the owners and their "groupies" run around the building throwing snacks such as a bagel, caramel corn or ice cream at the employees. The last surprise of the 5 weeks usually is a Lakeshore logo lunch box, towel or jersey. - We no longer have to all take lunch from 12:00-12:45 PM, they allow us to take our lunch anytime, with the exception of after 3:00 PM. But with only 45 minutes, it's hard to actually go out to eat. -Lakeshore will always be profitable... they will cut people and overhead before losing $$$.

Cons

Many of the reviews for Lakeshore share how the owners are "passionate" which translates to the 3 grown men cursing, yelling and throwing tantrums if things do not go their way. For those of us who have not been at Lakeshore all of our adult lives, we realize this is crazy and not good management. However, many of the people at Lakeshore have been there all their lives, straight out of high school and do not realize that in real companies people are not subjected to such behaviors. Although it sounds good to have started working in the warehouse and now you are VP, it does not mean you are prepared to be a VP. You were simply put there because you did your job and honestly, they do not want to pay the salary of someone who has the education and experience from another company. This means management is lacking the skill set to effectively manage. This also leads to a cover your behind culture. Watch out, your manager will throw you under the bus rather than have your back and defend their team. It's a dog eat dog world there. In my department, the managers were all once teachers. Teachers are good in a classroom environment with children. However, when you only have that classroom experience, but now you are managing adults, you simply do not know how to do it. When your employees do something "good" you hand out Lakeshore certificates with their names written on them, and when they are "bad" you bring them into your office and you scold them as you would a 6 year old. In my department, the Department Manager doesn't fully understand her job and in the process she makes the employee's lives miserable. Sometimes she stretches the truth, but the entire department knows she is not telling the truth and she is not fooling anyone, well maybe she is fooling the owner. The other manager has been with the company forever and sadly, he doesn't realize that outside of Lakeshore, there are companies that treat their employees with respect. He has no business managing people. A manager should never bad mouth any employee in front of other employees, much less bad mouth the other managers. The disrespect and lack of professionalism is unbelievable. If you are at Lakeshore, make sure you get out before you end up with a life sentence and you no longer have any marketable skills. Your career will come to a screeching halt and even worse, you will end up going backwards, just doing menial tasks to fill your time (8-4:30).

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your problem departments. You are losing valuable employees that could contribute to the growth of the company, but are deterred by the horrible management. Each time someone actually leaves Lakeshore on their own, listen to their exit interview. The people leaving Lakeshore have nothing lose by telling the truth! Try to improve things for those still there and giving 100%.

Never speak your mind! Even at the store level. Retail like I have never seen it before!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employee discount after a year.

Cons

*Motivates by fear *Executives bully and belittle *Micro managed *Sexual innuendos *Cover your behind environment Like it has been said before all the positive reviews have been posted by home office people who are trying to override the more accurate ones. However all the negative reviews about this company are VERY true! Even the older reviews still ring true. The company very much MANAGES AND MOTIVATES by FEAR. Your success will be based your ability to play their political game. Which entails, nodding when you're supposed to nod, returning the flirtatious comment, allowing home office executives to ogle your staff during a store walk through and admitting you're wrong and you don't know your business, even though your last evaluation was outstanding, and all your KPIs are up. If you can continue to stroke their OVERINFLATED EGOS , while yours has had every bit of life sucked out of it, then this is the career for you! If however, you value your self worth, I would pursue other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the people you hire like "red headed step children" let them do the jobs they are paid to do without being ridiculed and bullied. When you work in an environment where you become reactive and scared to make a move for fear of being bullied or losing your job you are not a good leader. Stop treating employees like crap. Some employers actually value their employees and treat them well. In turn they treat your customers well and in turn your business thrives. It's actually a great business model! You may want to try it!

5. Great Entry-level Company

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great place for entry-level employees.

Cons

Micro managed. Not always a team environment and have to watch out for yourself.

Sales Associate

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Fexible hours, Cheerful Environment, Staff is always super nice everyone gets long really well. You get to work with children sometimes as well.

Cons

Managers were very cliquish. You don't get enough hours and pay for the amount of work that you end up doing. Very hard to get extra hours

Shortage

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenandoah, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenandoah, TX

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Fun being around the children , and learning everything about the products and the store, inside and out.

Cons

Needed a more knowledgeable staff, a prepared staff, a willing staff. To all over the place.

Advice to Management

Try a more organized approach , hire more people / better employees willing to work and not pass the buck.

From the store's perspective

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

I know a lot of these reviews are for the corporate positions, but I wanted to make sure the Lakeshore stores got some love too! Lakeshore was one of my first “real” jobs when I was hired on as a part-time associate. Over the last 5 years I’ve been promoted repeatedly, first to supervisor, and then assistant manager. My favorite thing about Lakeshore are the possibilities. It really is a “get what you give” kind of company and by working hard I’ve been able to get a lot back! Lakeshore is a unique company, and the stores are no different. I have friends that work for big box retailers and they are lucky to ever see a decent bonus or any bonus at all, while Lakeshore offers attainable bonuses to all levels of management and tons of other contests and incentives to their associates. I also love the work/life balance, Lakeshore isn’t open on Easter or Thanksgiving and they don’t extend their hours later at Christmas and you won’t see me behind a cash register at 4am on Black Friday! Working with a flexible retail schedule and actually getting to enjoy the holidays is another great bonus to working here. The company is family owned and everyone treats it like they have a personal stake in it. Lakeshore has high standards and everyone who works here is really passionate about what they do, and honestly some people just can’t keep up. But there’s a ton of fun to be had too, with in-store events like arts and crafts, story times, and other celebrations. I spent a day at work dressed up like Cat in the Hat for a Dr. Seuss birthday celebration event… It was awesome and I had so much fun! Where else can you do that?

Cons

Like I said above, it’s definitely a fast paced job. If you’re the kind of manager who hides in their office all day, then this isn’t the place for you! The atmosphere is competitive and you have to really work hard to earn your hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to use your stores and their employees as a resource of information. We’re in the trenches every day and have some great ideas!

Senior Product Merchandiser

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

INCREDIBLE group of co-workers! A group of very intelligent people who genuinely care about the company & customer. Fantastic employee appreciation program, benefits are good, pay is a little below industry average. Overall a great company to work for and the products are something to be proud of.

Cons

Not a lot of autonomy in work or work schedule. A lot of people work in fear of getting something wrong and getting in trouble for the mistake. They could experience greater gains if people were encouraged to make mistakes and think outside the box.

Advice to Management

As the company grows the challenge is for the owners to keep the fragile but invaluable culture intact. Every employee needs to be bought on to putting the customer first and working as a team over individual success. A few corporate guns have been brought in at high levels who are not fully invested in the true company culture.

Art Director

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great company with very good benefits. They work hard to keep their employees happy, and open doors when they see potential.

Cons

Slow to change, but it's a big place, so that has to be expected to an extent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive reinforcement! Great job making the employees feel valued.

What a Joke-Don't Waster Your Time

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Store has colorful displays and an attractive store front.

Cons

Although interviews went well with the in-store manager and a manager of a nearby store, scheduling and hours have been elusive. Scheduling of trainings were set, and upon arrival, hours of paid training were cut. Still waiting to finish training after a month. You know you're in trouble when name badges and employee lockers have a lot of writing with cross-outs/erasing. Obtaining an advance schedule is non-existent - had to call the store a few times to remind them that I existed and willing to work. In response, they gave me a few hours. At the low hourly wage, I probably lost money in gas, insurance,...It appears the store favors returning, seasonal employees, i.e. teachers on their summer break. This Lake Shore store seems to operate as an on-call employer. The store manager is disorganized and seems nonchalant about communicating schedules. Other employees are unhappy. If you want a predictable salary, this is not the employer to choose. Products are creative, yet way overpriced.

Advice to Management

Educate store managers to follow Department of Labor and state labor standards. You're in the education business, so educate your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed