Lakeshore Learning Materials

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Modest profit-sharing is offered after 2 years of employment (in 14 reviews)

• Casual dress code, employee recognition and perks (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Entry-level Company

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great place for entry-level employees.

Cons

Micro managed. Not always a team environment and have to watch out for yourself.

2. Sales Associate

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Fexible hours, Cheerful Environment, Staff is always super nice everyone gets long really well. You get to work with children sometimes as well.

Cons

Managers were very cliquish. You don't get enough hours and pay for the amount of work that you end up doing. Very hard to get extra hours

Shortage

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenandoah, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenandoah, TX

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Fun being around the children , and learning everything about the products and the store, inside and out.

Cons

Needed a more knowledgeable staff, a prepared staff, a willing staff. To all over the place.

Advice to Management

Try a more organized approach , hire more people / better employees willing to work and not pass the buck.

From the store's perspective

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

I know a lot of these reviews are for the corporate positions, but I wanted to make sure the Lakeshore stores got some love too! Lakeshore was one of my first “real” jobs when I was hired on as a part-time associate. Over the last 5 years I’ve been promoted repeatedly, first to supervisor, and then assistant manager. My favorite thing about Lakeshore are the possibilities. It really is a “get what you give” kind of company and by working hard I’ve been able to get a lot back! Lakeshore is a unique company, and the stores are no different. I have friends that work for big box retailers and they are lucky to ever see a decent bonus or any bonus at all, while Lakeshore offers attainable bonuses to all levels of management and tons of other contests and incentives to their associates. I also love the work/life balance, Lakeshore isn’t open on Easter or Thanksgiving and they don’t extend their hours later at Christmas and you won’t see me behind a cash register at 4am on Black Friday! Working with a flexible retail schedule and actually getting to enjoy the holidays is another great bonus to working here.
    The company is family owned and everyone treats it like they have a personal stake in it. Lakeshore has high standards and everyone who works here is really passionate about what they do, and honestly some people just can’t keep up. But there’s a ton of fun to be had too, with in-store events like arts and crafts, story times, and other celebrations. I spent a day at work dressed up like Cat in the Hat for a Dr. Seuss birthday celebration event… It was awesome and I had so much fun! Where else can you do that?

Cons

Like I said above, it’s definitely a fast paced job. If you’re the kind of manager who hides in their office all day, then this isn’t the place for you! The atmosphere is competitive and you have to really work hard to earn your hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to use your stores and their employees as a resource of information. We’re in the trenches every day and have some great ideas!

Senior Product Merchandiser

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

INCREDIBLE group of co-workers! A group of very intelligent people who genuinely care about the company & customer. Fantastic employee appreciation program, benefits are good, pay is a little below industry average. Overall a great company to work for and the products are something to be proud of.

Cons

Not a lot of autonomy in work or work schedule. A lot of people work in fear of getting something wrong and getting in trouble for the mistake. They could experience greater gains if people were encouraged to make mistakes and think outside the box.

Advice to Management

As the company grows the challenge is for the owners to keep the fragile but invaluable culture intact. Every employee needs to be bought on to putting the customer first and working as a team over individual success. A few corporate guns have been brought in at high levels who are not fully invested in the true company culture.

Art Director

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great company with very good benefits. They work hard to keep their employees happy, and open doors when they see potential.

Cons

Slow to change, but it's a big place, so that has to be expected to an extent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive reinforcement! Great job making the employees feel valued.

What a Joke-Don't Waster Your Time

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Store has colorful displays and an attractive store front.

Cons

Although interviews went well with the in-store manager and a manager of a nearby store, scheduling and hours have been elusive. Scheduling of trainings were set, and upon arrival, hours of paid training were cut. Still waiting to finish training after a month. You know you're in trouble when name badges and employee lockers have a lot of writing with cross-outs/erasing. Obtaining an advance schedule is non-existent - had to call the store a few times to remind them that I existed and willing to work. In response, they gave me a few hours. At the low hourly wage, I probably lost money in gas, insurance,...It appears the store favors returning, seasonal employees, i.e. teachers on their summer break. This Lake Shore store seems to operate as an on-call employer. The store manager is disorganized and seems nonchalant about communicating schedules. Other employees are unhappy. If you want a predictable salary, this is not the employer to choose.
    Products are creative, yet way overpriced.

Advice to Management

Educate store managers to follow Department of Labor and state labor standards. You're in the education business, so educate your employees.

9. Fun great company- great leadership- cool people!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, loads of growth opportunity, we are a business that's rewarding and helping teachers & kids- quality people, product & service. Plus, they do cool things for their employees!

Cons

Parking stinks, but they have a tram that helps. Building/office environment is fun and upbeat- but an old warehouse turned office space- lack of windows.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and are "bought-in" and work hard- it's a great vibe to work with the kind of people you're going after! Keep it fun

Great place to work

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Privately held company so there's not a lot of bureaucracy to get decisions made, nimble enough to change with changing needs of customers, fast paced, casual dress, great people, family owned, open door policy with managers and executives. Company does not get caught up in titles and positions, everyone's contribution is important and valued. I have always found that you get out what you put in.

Cons

Not a lot of quality restaurants or local parks close enough to enjoy during lunch. But lunch trucks are brought in and some outdoor seating areas have been created on site.

Lakeshore would be ideal for students looking for summer employment with few hours and 'part-time' work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Choose your own hours, nice staff

Cons

Limited hours available, lied to about number of hours available upon hire

Advice to Management

Make sure branches are being clear about how many hours they can give.

RSS Feed </> Embed