Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014
3.7

Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Employee perks: VIP scratcher cards and spin to win games, Halloween Carnival, Profit Sharing (in 10 reviews)

• On Site Child Care and flexible work schedule (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high so if you're a slacker, you'll never make it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Retail Job That Lets You Have A Life!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is smaller than a lot of big box retailers and I love the difference! Since its a family owned company all the employees in the home office and out in the stores are very involved. At other larger companies I felt like a store number on a report instead of like a person, but here I'm on a first name basis with all the retail VPs, payroll, HR, and operations after only a year, and it really makes me feel like I make a difference!
         The home office constantly strives to support the stores, trying to solve problems and make our job easier so we can focus on the customers like we're supposed to! The product is unique and something that's so easy to get behind and sell because you know it's high quality and being created by teachers for teachers and parents! The stores focus on customer service, community outreach, and do really fun things like in store celebrations, arts and crafts, and teacher workshops.
         The whole company has a "work hard, play hard" mentality, and I've had more time with my family than I've ever had in my 10 years of retail. There are no extended Christmas hours, no Black Friday early morning or late nights, and no overnight shipments or floor sets! That being said, they have high expectations from their employees and even though the schedule isn't as hectic as a big box store, the standards are a lot higher.
         For being a smaller company I was really impressed with the salary and bonus structure they offer, and they even offer bonuses to the assistant managers and supervisors, which is rare. Great hours, great pay, health benefits, 401k matching, and a 40% discount? It makes all the passion and dedication they expect from their managers worth it!

Cons

Heavy focus on customer service and product knowledge, definitely not a job you skate through! Since there's less stores and layers of management, its rare to move up into a DM position, although it just happened to a store manager last year! They do offer store managers additional responsibility and growth opportunities in lieu of this.

Keep recognizing and valuing your store employees like you have!

a high level of stress and a complete sh*t show

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lovely people to work with (mostly)
    relaxed dress code

Cons

lack of a sense of direction
    no clear responsibilities
    no accountability
    major lack of communication between store manager and rest of the management team
    deceitful higher ups
    its like pulling teeth for an opportunity for advancement

there needs to be a more open flow of communication. there shouldn't be 'tip toeing' around afraid of making others upset/hurting their feelings. better incentives for workers and benefits would be nice

Great products, fun people, demanding atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Multiple opportunities to learn and move up in your career. Most coworkers fun to be around. Very good compensation and benefits. Company is financially healthy -- rarely worry about layoffs. Have the satisfaction of knowing that you're contributing to the education of children.

Cons

Hours can be long, pace can be intense. Questionable promotions at times. Former CEO (who has not fully retired) has a very short fuse, known for actually screaming at people as though they are children. Inadequate parking at the office building.

Since the profit bonus checks have become noticeably smaller in recent years, consider replacing this benefit with a commitment to offer larger raises to all deserving employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Place to work!

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment, great pay and benefits. Lakeshore only employs the best, love the people I work with. Company does a ton of fun stuff for their employees to show recognition for hard work. Best products in the industry and very high standards for quality and service.

Cons

Expectations are high so if you're a slacker, you'll never make it! Company environment can feel a bit rigid when it comes to structured shifts, lunch hours, etc.

Loosen up a bit, show more trust in your employees. Provide a bit more flexibility when it comes to structured hours, time off, etc...in general the company culture is so awesome, family-oriented, and inspiring. Don't be so rigid.

The character and talent of those who work here are second to none.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

There is an abundance of truly talented people that really care about their work, coworkers and the company. The product is both innovative and unique. It's the charm of a small company with the resources of a larger company.

Cons

The high expectations and intensity can be a little overwhelming at times. Sometimes too much energy goes into making sure every little thing is perfect.

11 years and counting!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people here are like family. I truly feel I work with some of the best talent in the business and its refreshing to know every single person is giving their all. The products are innovative and the company keeps a pulse on the changes/needs within the industry. They also offer affordable health coverage and on-site child care which has been an invaluable benefit to me and my family.

Cons

The environment is extremely fast paced and you need to be able to keep up! Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you fit, you really do well here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits, casual environment, well organized

Cons

Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management.

Allow the great people working for you to do what they are good at. Trust them, good things will happen.

This is my second home!

Current Employee - Working Manager  in  Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Working Manager in Carson, CA

Pros

Room for growth if you work hard. Casual dress is a plus and employees support each other, professionally and personally. Fun events that motivate us and make us feel like we're really part of this company. Great benefits and a wonderful on site child care center. Proud of the products we sell. Excellent yearly profit bonus and management really cares about us as people, not just as employees.

Cons

Expectation level is very high, but if you thrive in a fast paced environment it's not really a con.

Continue to develop employees that already work here.

Very fun products. Fun people. Very demanding.

Former Employee - Art Administrative  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Art Administrative in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Who wouldn't want to work with toys and learning materials! Tremendous learning and growth opportunities. Lots of areas and departments to learn about. Wide range of self development and skills to to learn here.

Cons

Office culture is unique. Demanding atmosphere. Unreasonable expectations at times. Overpaid and underpaid employees. Management doesn't necessarily lead by example.

Appreciate the entry-level and intermediate-level employees. Bridge the gap between upper management and the hardest workers.

A lot to learn, anyone familiar with retain can handle it.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Fern Park, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fern Park, FL

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a parent you learn about the best products for kids of all ages. Very informative product line.

Cons

customers are horrible. dealing with teacher and parent can be daunting.

Worked for Lakeshore Learning Materials? Contribute to the Community!