Lakeshore Learning Materials

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • Profit sharing/bonus after 2 years of employment (in 14 reviews)

• Casual dress is a plus and employees support each other, professionally and personally (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micro manages, doesn't trust the expertise of their middle management (in 9 reviews)

• Expectations are high and if you are not meeting them you will stick out like a sore thumb (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Friendly environment, family orientated

Cons

Freelance jobs end suddenly

worst 3 years of my life!!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

back then compensation was fair.

Cons

drama, uneducated managers who are insecure and rude. Gossip everywhere about everyone. it doesn't matter what you do is whose butt you are willing to kiss. Upper Management is so used to people kissing their butts is expected and rewarded. the owner is a joke and rude. So glad i"m no longer there!

get off your high horses and evaluate people for their work.

I wouldn't recommend.

Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some novel, morale boosting perks: a nice all day Halloween event and weekly summer giveaways (lunch bags, ice cream, etc)
    Very nice, if not somewhat oblivious, owner.
    Stable, low competitive niche in the education industry for what should be job security.

Cons

Low wages / high stress on production and service.
    High turnover (ALWAYS hiring for the same positions because of this, see job boards)
    Absurd pressure from management to "walk at a brisk pace, smiling at all times"-- to a ludicrous degree. Your break time becomes company time because of all the judgment and inter department gossip between management.
    Unprofessional, seniority-biased leadership. In one case a manager was lying to the owner about production numbers. This was then covered up and simply led to dept. transfer and a lower level staff member being terminated.
    Overcharged shipping fees consistently to customer with a lot of subterfuge.

Be honest. Impartial. Respect ownership and be transparent in all you do. Other than that, the system for all its flaws seems to keep upper management happy.

Great product, company needs improvement

Current Employee - Store Employee
    Current Employee - Store Employee

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, employee discount

Cons

Unorganized, lack of planning, employees are not valued (all levels of employment)

Do what you preach

Good Company to work for

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Great environment
    Benefits are good/Competitive salary
    Management is good

Cons

Stress during busy times of season

Great part time job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun, friendly vibe

Cons

Not enough hours in the week

Lakeshore

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor

Pros

Friendly, fun events, talented, great pay, great learning experience.

Cons

There are no con for this company

Quality control clerk at carson warehouse

Current Employee - Quality Control Clerk
    Current Employee - Quality Control Clerk

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Monday-Friday. Paid holidays. Aside from that I don't think there is anything else I can think of unless you want to add the profit sharing bonus after two years of employment.

Cons

A lot of overtime during November-early January and June-August. Our regular 7-3:30 shift would turn into 6am-4pm and sometimes until 5. Occasionally having to work on a Saturday as well but that was rare.
    Management was also horrible. I used to get singled out for a lot of things that others did but they never got in trouble. Example... Holding a pen in my mouth while checking an order. I was told it was dangerous. Honestly the place is a bunch of drama. I was eventually laid off and honest to god it was the best day of my life when I found out. Later I found out the reason the manager did not like me was because I guy she liked liked me instead. Good riddance.

Stop micromanaging. I can only speak for my post-pick department. But seriously stop treating everyone like crap.

A Great Place to Work (with a few catches)

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Challenging (in a good way) environment surrounded by hardworking, creative people who truly care about their jobs. My department in particular doesn't have a lot of turnover, so I've gotten to know people and developed genuine friendships. Casual dress, outstanding health insurance, profit sharing, fun events throughout the year, and more than adequate compensation (with the potential for a raise every year).

Cons

-Family-owned, so there are people in positions of power that maybe shouldn't be there (nepotism).
    -Profit sharing continues to go down even though the company is thriving and more profitable than ever.
    -You're expected to make the company the number 1 priority in your life, and that's both ridiculous and unfair.
    -The owner has been known to fly off the handle, to the point where you can actually hear him yelling at employees in his office or as he walks down the hall. This breeds a culture of fear, making some people terrified of making actual decisions. It seems like you have to have the approval of 30 people for every stupid thing because everyone's afraid of the consequences should they make a mistake. This also leads to a culture of finger pointing.
    -Some departments have a lot of turnover (not mine). It can be difficult to establish stable working relationships if you're constantly having to deal with new people.
    -There's a very Big Brother-like atmosphere where you feel like you're being watched. When an employee gets fired, he/she is called down to HR and a supervisor immediately boxes up that employee's things…and then it's as if that person never existed. You're not even allowed to say goodbye to people you may have worked with for years, nor are you always given an explanation as to why that person was terminated. This makes everyone else wonder just how secure their own job is.
    -If you want to advance—and I mean really advance—be prepared to nod your head and say yes a lot.

-Get to know all your employees, not just the management types. You'll be surprised at how many hidden gems you have shackled to a cubicle somewhere.
    -Increase profit sharing to more accurately reflect the company's success. The company is successful because of your employees; reward them. If necessary, cut down on some of the extras throughout the year and invest that money into the profit sharing checks. Employees appreciate this benefit, but it's hard not to feel resentful when we keep hearing how great everything is going and then see less and less in our checks.

Good contract employer

Former Employee - Production Artist in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the product art dept. on a contract basis. Project was organized, everything had a schedule and a list of to do's was easy to follow. Even though it was contract work they paid time and a half for overtime, also gave dinners on those days. Paid weekly, and gave you a check on the last day of work before you left. Coworkers are friendly, hard working, and help each other out. Fun and friendly work environment.

Cons

My commute was long, but the compensation and coworkers made it worth it. Would have liked a longer contract.

Lakeshore Learning Materials Photos