Lakeshore Technical College

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.4

CEO

Great experience for upward mobility

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI

I worked at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule options, including telecommutes; onsite childcare for ages 2-6 years; small college campus with excellent location that includes natural areas, creek, renewable energy demos, and free parking; and major investments in employee professional development.

Cons

Bedroom community with few other opportunities for spouses and children. Nearby cities have slightly more to offer, including a timely and sometimes expensive commute.

Provide more clear pathways for advancement to all employees.

Incompetent Leadership

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having the chance to help students get ahead. Amazing faculty and amazing support staff.

Cons

An incompetent President who hires direct reports who are less competent than he is so he doesn't look bad. Completely inefficient. President continually has to scramble due to bad hires, but won't fire anyone. High end managers continually screw up, and are just moved to other areas. Managers are in meetings constantly (where nothing is ever accomplished) and are never held accountable. Enrollments are down, yet the President and the HR Director and Finance Director got big raises, while everyone else got 1%. Once a proud place to work, it is now a joke and I am embarrassed to say I work there.

This is more to the board than anything - get rid of the President, hire a competent replacement, and let him or her clean house and start over. Way too much talent in the faculty and the support staff to have it performing as it is. The students are too important to have this institution run as poorly as it because of an absolute buffoon for a President.

Quality of the education is suffering here.

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here have primarily disappeared. Helping struggling adults turn their financial lives around by furthering their education is the only reward for working here.

Cons

A president that is focused on self promotion. New programs have been started, at the expense of the taxpayers that seem only to establish an employment pool for the big gun in Sheboygan/Kohler. Employees are not valued and if you do not agree with administration, you are quickly shown the door. Hiring policies are based on connections within the hierarchy and it is nearly impossible to move from a part time employee to a full time. The best instructors are jumping ship and the last of them are retiring early. One of the deans has a list of complaints about her bullying a mile long yet she continues to rise at the college. Any one to call them out on their politics or validate the complaints against her are quickly squeezed out. The administration does whatever they want to there employees. It is a demeaning and stressful environment.

Clean up the politics beginning at the top. Create an HR department that can be trusted and please, please rid yourself of the incredibly mean and spiteful dean of instruction. The board members need to investigate this deeply. The taxpayers will find out how the funding is being used to create useless and failing programs to support HK.

Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

student interaction, hours, creativity, watching the success of graduates
    This would be a great job if there was any focus on the students.

Cons

campus climate is very political, not student focused, a lot of micro managing from administration, some p/t instructors do not have industry experience, favoritism, HR is not trust worthy-have their own itinerary, president uses programs and students for personal use

desperately need a turn over of administration, it is money driven not student focused
    Value is placed on what the programs can do to increase the political power of the president. HR seems to run the school.

Excellent employer, but limited chances for advancement

Former Intern - Staff Support in Cleveland, WI
    Former Intern - Staff Support in Cleveland, WI

I worked at Lakeshore Technical College as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

Steady schedules, well defined jobs, great benefits for those offered full time.

Cons

It is very difficult to change positions or to get training (or take classes) to improve your position and there is very limited options to move up in the company.

Link up with vendors, the local community and suppliers more to open more doors for employees and community involvement.

Very political environment with a lot of red tape and hierarchy difficulties.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI

Pros

Enjoyable colleagues at the lower levels. Upper management is overworked with little time to see what's really happening internally. Too many meetings with nothing produced for the effort.

Cons

Many part-time workers with little opportunity available to advance unless you catch upper management's eye.

Start succession planning from within, everyone is basically overqualified for their initial job. HR needs to start paying attention to employee potential and value people.

So so...

Pros

We do some great things here to prepare a workforce. We partner with the community in many ways to provide prepared and competent workers in industry. When the economy suffers, we usually are positioned well to help dislocated workers get an education so they can get a new job.

Cons

From my perspective, I hear staff mention they are fearful of management. We probably have a bit more management than we really need. From my perspective, management focuses on controlling subordinates rather than providing them with the tools they need to succeed. For an academic institution that prides itself on preparing a workforce, those in charge don't integrate the teaching and philosophy of our instructors, teaching those classes. In other words, we prepare our students by teaching them management strategies and philosophies, but those same strategies and philosophies are not practiced by our own management.

Focus less on controlling subordinates and worrying about how many hours per week workers are there and focus more on what results we desire. The staff is full of professionals who know what they need to do. Provide us with support and help produce a great product, which is classroom instruction. Staff members are fearful for their jobs, because of the perceived controlling nature of management.