Lam Research

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Lam Research President & CEO Martin Anstice

Martin Anstice

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, great people, excellent opportunities in many global locations

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLam is a great example of a high tech company mostly unknown to the average person. There are excellent opportunities for tech types, and in many disciplines.

ConsThe challenge of working for a company that prides itself on operational excellence is that one must always be at the top of their game and fully utilizing all their time at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a stronger focus on retention of all employees, not just the high potential execs.

Software Engineer Intern

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research as an intern for less than a year

ProsMembers of the software team I worked for were great people. They were nice and supportive, even while discussing differences in design. My manager gave me opportunities to contribute; such as encryption library, log file management software written from scratch.

ConsDid not stay long enough to find out. However, as an intern, I should have kept my opinion to myself during a meeting as one senior engineer from another group did not like what I said and shut me down. It only happened once.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Not what I expected.,

Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCommute was great , cafe nice.

ConsThe challenge is the technology, and the work groups. I worked contract among many
perm employees who for the most part don't know how lucky they were. Training was not
available, and documentation was lacking. Mgmt was not involved in day to day operations.
Office had a musty smell, from leftover food left in garbage in common areas..

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lam leaders must stop the talking and do the walking

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable company with good products, highly competitive within its markets.

ConsManagement has shifted form the original tech folks to a CEO who is a finance guy - so the quarterly earnings become supreme.
Little to know advancement/promotion
Lam talks a lot about core values, but they do not apply to senior leaders.
Compensation is OK, but may below the top valley employers.Company expectation is that you work way to many hours, and they believe they own your time - little possibility of work-life balance.
Most of the buildings feel old and tired - Lam's profits would certainly allow for building upgrades, but they don't happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees
Do not believe that you can continuously increase productivity by laying people off and passing the workload to the survivors.

A company that is innovating for their customer & looks after their employees

HUman Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEthical company that puts core values and customer first. Trusted employer with a track record that puts many credits in the bank. In any company things can go amiss & I trust Lam's integrity to make the best decision in the short, medium and long term for its customers and therefore ultimately the enterprise.

ConsNeed more empowerment and better global leadership. More walk about by management. Increased communication , better recognition and company celebrations. Thank you for the 1BN per q celebration unexpected and highly impactful

Advice to Senior ManagementMore innovation and less reword

Lam is a dynamic place to work and excercise ones talent potential, but the work pace is bit too excessive.

Process Engineer, Senior Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Lam Research full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLam has a strong commitment to customer satisfaction with several products. This is reflected with a significant market share. The majority of employees are very bright and great to work with. Lam has a strong portfolio of innovative technologies which should assure long term success. There is a strive to minimize the effects of the cyclical nature of the industry by wise investment and minimal reductions in force. The corporate core values are well articulated.

ConsThe work atmosphere is excessively fast paced at the expense of wisdom. There is often little time to think, just react. Employees are overworked. This culture of speed leads to mistakes and needless excessive work. Mistakes are not well received by management and often result in state of panic, rather than rational analysis. Well articulated core values are not effectively practiced. There is lack of 360 degree of oversight of managers and directors. In evaluating a manager/director upper management does not consult engineers and technologist.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove effectiveness of managers and directors with full 360 reviews. Remove managers who get unsatisfactory ratings from their direct reports. Focus on smart and timely solutions, not fast solutions; you'll get more customer satisfaction and more employee satisfaction.

good company to work with, nice boss, nice colleagues

Consolidation Accountant (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than a year

Prosgood ground of training, feel respected by bosses here, good benefit

Consa bit difficult to get promoted, salary isnt so good

Great company, not a lot of internal opportunities

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lam Research full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong executive management team, appear to truly put people first. Executive management has created a model that for the most part shelters the full time employees from layoffs during bad times in the industry, which there are many.

ConsLam outsources the majority of what they sell therefore room for moving around within the company is limited to volume manufacturing, pilot manufacturing, engineering and quality. All other functional areas which are part of many companies are outsourced except for some support functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the job you are doing however choose tier 1 management that echoes upper management's view on how to treat employees. In addition review every so often what might be beneficial to the corporation in the way of bringing back into the company some of the areas that have been outsourced. Only do this if it makes economical sense because if done employees will have more areas to chose from thereby helping the company to retain qualified staff.

A place where successful people want to work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA very mature culture, and opportunities abound.

ConsA tough industry where cost pressures are ever present.

Challenging work environment.

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lam Research full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLong hours. Challenging work environment. Always busy. Corporate goals come first before the employees. Cyclical industry keeps you on your toes. Some long-term employees like to use acronyms, jargon and 4 syllable words to keep everyone guessing what they are saying and not sying.

ConsLow salary. Internal politics. No internal opportunities. Smelly cubicles and horrible temperature except for building 4.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep qualified staff.

Worked for Lam Research? Contribute to the Community!

Lam Research Videos

Lam Research – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​​​Corporate Overview​​​​​​​​ Lam Research Corporation is a major supplier of wafer fabrication equipment and services to the worldwide semiconductor industry, where we have been advancing semiconductor… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lam Research reviews and ratings in Fremont, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lam Research CEO Martin Anstice. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Lam Research employees.