Lam Research

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Lam Research President & CEO Martin Anstice
Martin Anstice

Pros
  • Really nice and friendly work environment, coworkers are great (in 15 reviews)

• Bonuses and benefits Work-life balance needs improvement (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to work every weekend provides an extremely poor work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Not much work and life balance in placed, expect to work long hours and on weekends (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Profit over People

Current Employee - Final Test Technician in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Final Test Technician in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Lam Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are better than most U.S. manufacturing employees
    Manufacturing is full of very experienced technicians with 4+ years of experience and mostly excellent work ethic. Lam is truly blessed with their employees.
    Starting pay is just high enough to compete with Intel
    Profit sharing plan
    50% matching 401k (although starting in 2015 there is now a $10/month fee for current employees and $16/month fee for former employees to keep this plan. Nice subtle way to screw your employees of some extra dimes)

Cons

Long hours, almost no work-life balance due to working every weekend

Holidays are non-existent - do not expect to take a break until Thanksgiving and Christmas

Management routinely inquires how they can improve quality of life every 2-3 months, then promptly ignore 100% of all suggestions. This is done to keep you hoping.

Managers offer ZERO structured training. Instead, that responsibility is placed on the employee. You are basically playing a game of lottery and hope whoever is assigned to "train" you speaks semi-fluent English and actually cares about training you - and who can blame them, they are not compensated any extra for their effort.

The company routinely posts about "great growth" and "profit" yet does not believe everyone on the manufacturing floor deserves to be an actual employee - a large portion of manufacturing (including engineers) are temps with absolutely no benefits. Employees go 6+ months in temporary status without healthcare or vacation - and take a significant pay cut during holiday season while the CEO boasts about profits. The men and women that make this kind of profit possible get the shaft in the end.

Constant pressure to work overtime, even during times when the overtime is not actually needed - this is done to keep the managers happy and create an illusion of more techs = faster progress. What actually happens is people routinely work 60+ hours with few days off and inevitably make mistakes, costing manufacturing process a fortune. The management is blind and/or absent (you only see them if something is wrong) so they turn a blind eye to this fact.

Pilot department gets paid $5 more despite having the exact same job and responsibilities. This is because their job title is different.

Career advancement is a joke. The pay raises are $0.50 at a time at best - you can start as a temp, work for 3 years and get 7 pay raises and still make less than a permanent new hire. If you want a real raise - start applying for other jobs.

Most deserving technicians inevitably leave a few months after being hired because they realize what they are worth

Stop hiring temps.

Listen to your employees and start earning your paycheck by doing something to benefit your employees. The people that work here are nearly universally dissatisfied with your incompetence.

Intern at Lam was good

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research

Pros

Good work life balance, smart people and good environment

Cons

Slow pace for me, not a young environment

The best

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

Never seen more aggressive company

Cons

Reduce politics and increase cultivating new resources

More appreciation to employees

Good work life balance

Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator

I worked at Lam Research as a contractor

Pros

They hire the best management team possible. Leadership is good which means employees have world class managers.

Cons

Like any big company communication from executive level to staff level needs improvement

Truly embarassing experience

Former Employee - Director in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research full-time

Pros

1. Customer interfacing experience
    2. Learn semi cap equipment industry and technology trends

Cons

In one line- Leave Analytical Mind (LAM)

1. No interest in advancing technology
    2. Politically driven interests
    3. Personal interests first
    4. Strongly believe in long hours with absolutely no thinking or logical approach: believes in data collection over data analysis
    5. Falsified notion of "customer is God, and local accounts team is God"

The logo calls for "Customer, Company and Employee". As a matter of fact, it works the other way around. But who doesn't. As an individual, if I cannot focus on myself (my performance, my growth, my career, my future)- how can I contribute for the company and hence the customer? Company calls for socialism (or can I say communism) in a capitalist competition..., However, reality is, in this company- from Manager--> VP, its all about themselves and convincing the food chain on their mere existence in the company.

In regards to considering Lam as their next potential employee:
    I cannot advice senior engineers or managers on their choice, I would assume they are more informed.
    For new college grads- stay away from this company. Its OK to wait and pick the right one.

How true is the linear growth in revenue?

vp

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

they have very great professional skills. they work hard. they have been busy day the night. they have great income.

Cons

they can be improved to communicate with employees. they should have more care for their employees. they can focus on the right product.

PROCESS SUPPORT ENGINEER

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Tainan (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Tainan (Taiwan)

I worked at Lam Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong training system to enrich your knowledge in plasma etch and semiconductor industry.
    - Mature HW/SW/Process design and easy to build up credit from customer.

Cons

- Only few opportunity to be promoted for handling a cross function projects.

- provide more opportunity to the young but talent employee.

Great place to work for.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Lam Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leader in plasma etch, well defined on market, great benefits

Cons

Career advancement is rather difficult

Okay Place, but some groups are toxic

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

Easy going co-workers, people are generally willing to stay long hours to get work done.

Good place to learn plasma etch from NCGs as Lam is the leading etch company.

Cons

Out-dated working environment comparing to other companies that my peers working in the Bay Area.

The particular place I worked has become toxic. The group has been operating at near zero revenue for a couple of years. But the "star" managers were still able to get promoted 2-3 times all the way to DIRECTORs with zero business contribution.

Their focus is essentially creating political networks, monetizing on their regional connections to Korea or Taiwan customers and creating marketing slides to fool executives. These people are like vampires living on other's blood.

Could no longer related my work for broad social good and decided to leave for new ventures. NCG friends may want to avoid the group has continuous opening: no one can stay more than a year.

Clean out vampires and keep up working environments to outside world: free food and open work space.

Good business, decent employer

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

Highly process driven and results focused

Cons

Micro managed in many areas

Let people do their jobs