www.lamresearch.com

Updated December 11, 2014
3.4

Lam Research President & CEO Martin Anstice
Martin Anstice

Pros
  • Really nice and friendly work environment, coworkers are great (in 15 reviews)

• Bonuses and benefits Work-life balance needs improvement (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to work every weekend provides an extremely poor work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Not much work and life balance in placed, expect to work long hours and on weekends (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern at Lam was good

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research

Pros

Good work life balance, smart people and good environment

Cons

Slow pace for me, not a young environment

Truly embarassing experience

Former Employee - Director in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research full-time

Pros

1. Customer interfacing experience
    2. Learn semi cap equipment industry and technology trends

Cons

In one line- Leave Analytical Mind (LAM)

1. No interest in advancing technology
    2. Politically driven interests
    3. Personal interests first
    4. Strongly believe in long hours with absolutely no thinking or logical approach: believes in data collection over data analysis
    5. Falsified notion of "customer is God, and local accounts team is God"

The logo calls for "Customer, Company and Employee". As a matter of fact, it works the other way around. But who doesn't. As an individual, if I cannot focus on myself (my performance, my growth, my career, my future)- how can I contribute for the company and hence the customer? Company calls for socialism (or can I say communism) in a capitalist competition..., However, reality is, in this company- from Manager--> VP, its all about themselves and convincing the food chain on their mere existence in the company.

In regards to considering Lam as their next potential employee:
    I cannot advice senior engineers or managers on their choice, I would assume they are more informed.
    For new college grads- stay away from this company. Its OK to wait and pick the right one.

How true is the linear growth in revenue?

Software Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Get to work on your own project with a lot of freedom on how to approach the problem.
    Really nice and friendly work environment, coworkers are great.
    Good job experience for industrial project development

Cons

A little too much freedom on how to approach project.
    Would have liked a little more guidance.
    Not particularly the most exciting job, but you learn a lot.

Check in on your interns a little more often.

A place where successful people want to work

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large focus on understanding risk management and people development

Cons

Need to understand business processes

Use mentoring to speed up employee training

Not a great place to work. Managers are evil and liars.

Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leader is market share in etch. Novellus combo creates a larger company with a lot of synergies.

Cons

Lam treats their people like trash. Executives are arrogant and out of touch with what is really happening under them.

Keep looking out for yourselves. Morals? I guess you don't have them.

Great company, stable, intelligent people

Former Employee - Operations Business Analyst II in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Business Analyst II in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid management, strong leadership, definitely a stable company that will be around a long time.

Cons

A little dated work policy (not allowed to work remotely)

Structure is good, but be flexible with employees

Fast pace environment and okay place to work if you can ignore all the politics and management favoritism

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Products and management decisions are mostly engineering driven. The engineering team is very talented and highly technical. If you report to the right people and work on the right projects, you can get promoted rather easily.

Cons

Not much work and life balance in placed, expect to work long hours and on weekends. If you don't know the right managers, don't expect getting promoted although you may be highly capable workers.

Many promotions are based on management favoritism not the actual capability of the employees

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

People were great, job was interesting, sorry it all had to end.

Cons

Couldn't get converted to full-time employment.

None.

Not the same company it used to be.

Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work, absolutely never a dull moment.
    Some co-workers are absolutely brilliant.
    Relatively stable employment, for the industry. They run lean so they don't need to lay off as much during the downturns.
    Given the state of technology, the company isn't going anywhere. (Hard to explain this to others who aren't familiar with the industry).
    Opportunities for travel exist.
    You really feel like you are contributing to something every day you come to work, and the management team does a fairly good job on disseminating the big company news so everyone knows which projects are important to which customers.
    They profit share. 'Nuff said.

Cons

As others have commented, work life balance is atrocious. At my orientation, one of the presenters said "what are your hobbies that you like to dream about being able to do?" He was only half kidding. That was ok when it led to promotions.

Since the merger a few years ago, it's gotten VERY bureaucratic. The company almost doubled in size overnight. Lam used to be about getting the job done right now and nobody cared how, but they've hired a legion of bean-counters to count minutes and pennies and it's mostly destroyed the culture of day-to-day innovation that existed when I was hired. Nowadays you spend more time defending yourself from petty political infighting and audits than on any actual projects. The group I work in has changed out every single person but me, and the general knowledge about how things actually work has gone down with every single person that left. The new people are half trained and then unleashed on unsuspecting coworkers.

There's a blatant tier system. They have slides that show up about how they retain "> 80% of high-potential employees". What that means is that if someone has a PhD they throw money at them to keep them. There are literally entry level (Shakespearean-keyboard monkey, not kidding) jobs that they will not hire anyone without a doctorate into. For anyone without one, don't bother, you'll always be a second or third class citizen, no matter how much experience or value you bring in. Spending 8 years in a research lab on a campus to earn a thesis or spending 8 years in a research lab (or production fab) at a business to earn a paycheck shouldn't be all that different in terms of compensation or advancement, but that's how it is.

They get around having to ramp up with the industry by hiring contractors for years, just so that they can get around paying for severance/unemployment or having to claim layoffs to finance when the inevitable downturn comes. It's unethical to the contractors who work side by side doing the same exact work as the full time employees. And it's inefficient because every year the contractors will leave as they realize they are never getting hired and seek greener pastures elsewhere. That leaves a double whammy on the full timers who have to pick up the load and simultaneously train new people. Management has been escalated to the highest levels over maintaining a sustainable workforce; all pleas for relief have fallen on apathetic ears.

The lean layout of the company means that you are more likely to keep your job during the bad times, but you won't see the sun during the good times, due to you doing the job of three people and getting paid for one.

They are a multi-billion dollar company that grossly underpays anyone below a mid-level manager. They quote that their compensation is "60% of the industry average"; what they fail to disclose is that a chunk of their management skews that up significantly and that a large chunk (~50%) of their employees are located in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country (HQ), so you can barely afford a shack in the area on what they pay. They also don't mention that they want the top 90% employees at a bargain 60% price, and they aren't afraid of enforcing that standard.

Goal setting is usually an exercise in hilarity, at every level of the company. They start with ludicrous numbers and timelines, and we scream until they lower them to only impossible ones. They call them "stretch" goals; the idea is that you realistically will only succeed at 80% of them during an evaluation period. Which would be fine except for how they treat failure. (Which is absolutely ironic because of the slide show printed on main screens for months about "how to kill innovation - step 1: punish people severely for failure") When junior personnel miss a goal, they get pulled into a meeting room and practically read their rights on how the company is paying top dollar for top employees and basically shape up or the next pink slip will have your name on it. Mid and senior level employees don't even get that, they just go away and you find out about it the next day in a meeting.

I would not recommend today's company to a friend.

Learn that failure IS learning.

Allow people's ACTUAL value to be the determining factor in advancement, not some "potential based on semi-relevant education".

Stop counting pennies and seconds when you are wasting thousands and days.

Listen to the people that actually perform the work that produces revenue, not the guy in a cube who sends email to them occasionally.

You get what you pay for has never been truer than today.

Depends what group you work in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company pays significantly above market rate for a given skill set, and people tend to stay a long time, while maintaining a work-life balance that's well weighted on the side of kids, hobbies and barbecue parties.
    Also, equipment engineering teams, from what I could see, are cohesive socially and technically, have deep expertise in equipment design and there is plenty of excellent creative work being done, with the associated respect, mentorship, and sharing of credit among peers.

Cons

The overall culture is influenced by many employees hired straight out of the military, and with the low turnover rate the changing norms of society are slow to permeate. The Fremont office - with the exception of equipment engineering - seemed to have little of the professional mutual respect I had seen elsewhere, and instead had some distasteful elements - bullying and posturing as a means of persuasion, crass and sexually loaded language as the language of criticism, and a daily banter of overt homophobic, racist, and sexist insults being thrown around for levity.
    To give a sense of how noticeable this was, when I was there I expressed some surprise to a colleague at the inappropriate joking going on. I was told the HR department made it a point not to visit our section of the offices because there were so many things to be heard or seen that would have been a problem for them to witness.

fix the culture