Lamar Advertising Reviews

51 reviews filtered by
3.8
Lamar Advertising CEO Sean Reilly
Sean Reilly

Pros
  • Friendly People, work life balance is good, decent benefits (in 3 reviews)

• good benefits, good people, lots overtime if your okay with it being required (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Each plant is run by a general manager and he gets paid based on "cash flow" Everything affects cash flow including commission rates, equipment, etc (in 3 reviews)

• Good old boys club atmosphere; not many women in upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Company

I have been working at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Been with Lamar for several years. It's a great company. Nationwide but still feels like a close family. Best place I've ever worked

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. There are a few quirks, but nothing different than what you see in every other office.

I Love My Job, But....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

Lamar is a wonderful company, very laid back, casual dress code, and "family " feeling environment. Most employees get along, although, I do know there are "clicks". Lamar offers great benefits, along with great "perks".

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. They post jobs, but already have the person in mind they want to hire. Some employees are shown favoritism, depending on department. Salary should be based on you job effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be open to their suggestions. Pay them based on how well they do their job.

3. Incredible Company

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

They really care about their employees, lots of benefits.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

5. Excellent Company with outstanding people

Former Employee - Vice President/General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President/General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company culture. Outstanding leadership from corporate office to regional offices. Excellent best practice sharing and training thru Lamar University

Cons

Didn't experience any cons during my tenure

6. Very Unethical and Very Unprofessional Company

Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job was actually good and fun. They help lots of parties at the main office in Baton Rouge and always had a keg of beer at the party. The Christmas Party was incredible.

Cons

I worked for Lamar Advertising as a contract employee for only one year. During that time, I have never seen a more unprofessional organization. The job was really good. I enjoyed going to work daily. But, on the other side of the spectrum, Lamar employees were dictating my destiny without consulting me first on it. One employee had an issue with me. He actually worked right across from me. But, he never spoke to me one on one about the issues he had with me. Instead, he went straight to his supervisor and probably the guy that was over the department overall. He complained to them about me. In return, they spoke to me. Problem is, they never gave me any information that explained what I did or whom made the complaint because they did not want there to be issues between me and the person. So, I was told someone complained about me. But, I was never given anything to defend myself or make the situation right. Apparently, this same Lamar employee went and complained again about me, only this time, he told the boss that I "hit” him while at work that day. The boss let me work the remainder of that day and never said one word about the complaint. I got home that night and I had a call from the staffing agency I worked for. She told me about the complaint made against me and said my boss would not need to come back to Lamar Advertising ever again to work. This allegation made against me about “hitting” this employee while at work was completely bogus. How can I prove this? I was never charged with a crime by the police for assault and battery. The staffing agency never pursued charges against me. Lamar Advertising never pursued charges against me. The person that made the allegation never pursued charges against me. If I had physically hit another employee while on the job, I believe I would have gotten in much more trouble that being fired from Lamar Advertising. To make matters worse, the staffing agency fired me 4 days after this all took place. I was then unemployed for a full month before getting another job. So, if you decide to work as contract labor for Lamar Advertising, they will dispose of you like you are a piece of garbage and not lose a bit of sleep over it. Very unethical and very unprofessional!

Advice to Management

If someone complains or makes accusations about another employee, you might want to hear both sides of the story before just jumping in and firing the person being accused. When you fire someone unjustly, you might just be firing their wife, and kids as well. Everyone is affected by your decision to jump the gun.

7. Management are bullies, they harass long time employees to make them leave. Horrible experience.

I worked at Lamar Advertising

Pros

The only pro would be income if you had no other source. And the experience to know you want to do something better.

Cons

Pay is below average. Manager micromanages to the point of tracking employees on his phone all day.

Advice to Management

Would be to start at Regional and look at what is going on. Look at the complaints filed and see what is going on.

8. Terrible company to work for - pay is low - management is awful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with the majority of co-workers (not including management). Office location made for a great commute.

Cons

Terrible, unethical working environment driven by management. Religion and politics were heavily discussed in work meetings. The pay was no where it should've been for work/tasks completed. Micromanaging style. Not a female friendly company. Left the company in 2012 along with a number of other employees, all of whom cited management as their reason for leaving.

9. Great Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lamar Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, solid benefits, ability to grow your own business and income level, fantastic team-first environmnet.

Cons

There are not many layers to management, promotions within the company are too few and far between, sometimes sales goals are unrealistic

Advice to Management

More oppurtunities for career advancement within the company.

10. Unethical place to work.

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Learning vast knowledge from seasoned staff in all departments.

Cons

Unethical business practices, poor treatment of employees, extremely micromanaged, pay structure changes and not consistent resulting in making less/hinder income earning potential. Limited career advancement.

11. This company is wonderful! It feels like a family environment and it is a joy to work for them.

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

The training is thorough and easy to understand. The process really does work and your potential for success is huge. The management staff is friendly and extremely helpful. There are opportunities to move up, but you have to prove you deserve a promotion.

Cons

The only con I would say is that you typically have a tough time having a great year two times in a row. Your budget is based off of your actual numbers. It can be difficult to maintain your commission percentage after a great year.