Lamar Advertising Reviews

Reset
3.6
Lamar Advertising CEO Sean Reilly
Sean Reilly

Pros
  • The work-life balance is awesome (in 3 reviews)

• Pretty good benefits for a sales position (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee perks like Christmas parties or birthday cakes are forbidden, while upper management still drives luxury cars on the company dime (in 3 reviews)

• At times, information flow from the "top" was scare (in 3 reviews)

1. Bill Poster

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX

I have been working at Lamar Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always something different and very physical and hands on work to keep you in shape. Very exhilarating to work at elevated heights on a daily basis. And possibility for pay advancement based on how you want to pursue it. Off at 2:30 most everyday.

Cons

Some boards are sketchy and poorly maintained. Pay doesn't match up with work load. Management bends rules to benefit them but punishes you when it doesn't matter to them.

Advice to Management

Better pay and maintain signs better.

2. Account Executive

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Big company perks with small company autonomy.

Cons

Not the best at rolling out new policies

Advice to Management

on going training, please

3. SALES--Environment varies from Plant to Plant....Be very careful in Shreveport, LA.

Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Team environment is strong, so must be a team player. Pay can be very good, but you have to learn how to play the game and be patient. It may take a couple/ few years to really get how things work, but it can be rewarding none the less while you're battling through the attrition. Training and freedom to sell is provided, then you better prove you can produce. However, you also have enough freedom to hang yourself. If you're not self-motivated then don't waste your time or the company's time. Overall, good family environment on the local level.

Cons

As mentioned, the office environment varies from for each Lamar plant. Your plant GM will control all, so be sure you are comfortable working closely with that person. During interview process, ask many questions about the things that are important to you. Many promises will be made. Consider them carefully and ask specific detail-oriented questions. You will experience favoritism, but if you produce, that can be to your benefit. Lastly, Lamar will protect their General Managers so be prepared for that. Poor behavior, bad business (unethical) practices and a bully mentality are just a few of the Cons experienced in my plant. If you can take it, then you can make it. However, it is unfortunate the impact that it has on the community. Regional and HR will let this behavior continue, so be careful.

Advice to Management

Regional Managers need to keep a close eye on each plant's activities. You speak to your General Managers, so generally your view of the plant is how they present it. Although you must trust your GM's, you can be dupped. Many good workers and people have been lost over the years simply because they could not work with Plant GM's management bully style and bi-polar peronality. If you conduct an HR investigation, listen to the results. Don't make the plant staff( sales and otherwise) feel their job is threatened if they speak out. Plants can fall into in a toxic spiral if you let the GM get out of control. Don't be scared or too lazy to make a plant GM management change. Your company will thank you in the long run.

5. Work is very sporatic

I have been working at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Occasional Overtime
    4 day workweek
    Company Vehicle

Cons

Lots of driving
    Occasional long days

Advice to Management

Give employees a structured yearly evaluation for raises, instead of keeping everyone on pins and needles.

Great Company

I have been working at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Been with Lamar for several years. It's a great company. Nationwide but still feels like a close family. Best place I've ever worked

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. There are a few quirks, but nothing different than what you see in every other office.

Good Ol' Boy Club

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits available. Small offices make for family oriented atmosphere. If you don't mind working extra hours, there was always an opportunity to make more money.

Cons

From a woman's perspective, because that is what I have to offer, it appeared that males were valued more than females. This gender inequality was evident even when men performed poorly. Standards were higher for women.

Advice to Management

Upper and middle management should be more involved, not leaving all decisions to the GM. Everyone should answer to someone, even the GM.

I Love My Job, But....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

Lamar is a wonderful company, very laid back, casual dress code, and "family " feeling environment. Most employees get along, although, I do know there are "clicks". Lamar offers great benefits, along with great "perks".

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. They post jobs, but already have the person in mind they want to hire. Some employees are shown favoritism, depending on department. Salary should be based on you job effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be open to their suggestions. Pay them based on how well they do their job.

9. Art Director

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time

Pros

Very close-knit group of employees at my plant. My role involved close daily contact and interaction with Sales Executives, and this was a very positive experience. As a group, we went to ball games bowling and movies together, and everyone had fun and the guys were great. The art department at the national headquarters did an outstanding job of continued training of plant artists by providing tutorials, photo and logo resources and an annual artist conference for training for various professional skills that helped all artists stay on the cutting edge of the industry. Very positive experience. I was encouraged to produce spec art to generate new sales and was paid extra for them, which was a real perk.

Cons

The pay was not outstanding, but the positives allowed for more or less a stress-free work environment for the art department. As the sales team had numbers they were expected to exceed in a slow economy, their jobs were much more high pressure.

Advice to Management

As individual plants were each under a different General Manager, I could only comment on my plant. I believe it was unrealistic to expect the Sales Executives to exceed sales numbers from previous years when the economy was much stronger. Some things are simply not possible.

10. Incredible Company

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

They really care about their employees, lots of benefits.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

11. Excellent Company with outstanding people

Former Employee - Vice President/General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President/General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lamar Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company culture. Outstanding leadership from corporate office to regional offices. Excellent best practice sharing and training thru Lamar University

Cons

Didn't experience any cons during my tenure

RSS Feed </> Embed