Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Lambert, Edwards & Associates Reviews

3.4

Jeffrey T. Lambert

Hard but Rewarding Work

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've had nothing but good experiences at LE&A, and it's one of the only firms in the state of Michigan I would consider working for given its clientele and sterling reputation.

The leadership has been very solid - the firm has grown consistently since its founding in 1998 (no small feat in the toughest economy since the Great Depression). Having previous agency experience, one thing I appreciate about LE&A is that they don't take "all" business - they know their strengths and work within those areas. Along the way, they've made some smart acquisitions and have grown considerably in size and now have offices in Lansing and Detroit (in addition to the original office in Grand Rapids).

Something else I appreciate is the openness to new ideas. Everything I can think of can find a home somewhere here, which is fantastic. I've worked in a lot of places where any new ideas are met with so much resistance that they never go anywhere.

Another great facet of LE&A is the people - there are some truly amazing and talented pros that work here and they are a blast to work with. They're also supportive and appreciative as a bonus.

The workspaces are also amazing - they're gorgeous and unique and I frequently take the opportunity to show them off to friends and family.

Regarding some of the previous reviews, LE&A seems much more mature now from what was previously described and the current ratio of female:male employees is 26:14 - so it's definitely not a "boy's club."

Cons

The only downsides are the benefits and volume/pace of work. However, the benefits are comparable to any other employer in the same industry/sector and so is the workload. Public Relations agency work isn't for the faint-hearted - it's demanding and hectic at times. The trade-off, though, is that you get to work with a diverse array of clients on major projects that are fantastic experience and offer a lot of opportunities.

small public relations firm in transition

Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

We have a lot of really talented people that went to top schools like GVSU, Hope, Michigan State and Calvin. We also have a great reputation in managing important PR events around the city - everyone knows Lambert Edwards in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cons

We need to hire more women. Right now there are a lot of guys and it can be a bit of a boys club at times. Although they bring in business and know what they are doing, it can be a bit intimidating at times. Also, we have lost quite of business recently because of the economy. It makes me worry that not everything is as cheery as some might think. Bonuses were disappointing this year.

Office politics will destroy us if we don't watch it. We are a small firm and everyone knows everything. Hold on to good people at all costs, especially those of us that are working hard and contributing. We also need to stick to the stuff we are good at (public relations). We need to hire people that aren't just friends of the owner. We need to hire people that actually know what they are doing.

Short term experience to take other places

Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

A good place to build experience for young professionals, good people and a fun atsomphere. Everyone recives the chance to work on a wide variety of projects with different types of teams. Three practice groups ensure that you'll have the chance to work in a number of differenty industries, but not always with the best guidance or advice from the team leaders. It's a flexible work environment that values family and ensures that you have the time off you need when you need it, whether it's for personal reasons or sick kids. Vacation is ok and the benefits (medical, etc.) are actually unmatched, including offering reimbursement for medical deductibles.

Cons

Leadership is lacking, people are treated like it's high school and the chances for advancement (unless you're in favor with the CEO) are next to none. There is a clique-ish feeling that is difficult to break through and because advancment is so difficult, most people end up just looking out for themsevles rather than others, this leads to a lack of professional development for new hires and has soured more than one person on PR agency life. There is an overabundance of pressure to develop new business without any support or leadership from managment. New business wins are also not rewarded or really acknowledged in any way.

Start running the business like a business rather than a personal toy, luck will only take you so far. Build a buisness plan that includes professional tracks for employees and annual reviews that will actually help people determine what they need to do in order to advance.

Lambert, Edwards & Associates Photos