Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Jeffrey T. Lambert

1. Great Place to Work, Great People

Former Employee - Senior Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The folks at LE&A are great, they care about their clients and each other. They work hard and play hard making it a great place to work. There are many opportunities for professional growth for both younger associates just starting out and seasoned professionals.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the senior folks are doing things and making plans but not involving the staff, that makes it harder to get folks to come along if they don't really have ownership of the future.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to ask more of your people, if we all believe in the future and have ownership of it, we might surprise you in what we are able to accomplish together.

It is Like Being in High School Again

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the few legit PR companies to work for in Michigan. Has a diverse set of clients, which allows for several growth and learning opportunities. Firm demographic heavily skewed toward young, good looking individuals that are eager to learn and grow in their careers.

Cons

LEAdership across each practice group is lacking. It feels as though the managing directors are clueless about the long-term strategy of the company, which causes uncertainty among the rank and file. There is little to no push back on the whims of the President, which also incubates several situations of blatant sexual harassment on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Dismiss those on the management team that are unable to generate new business or interact with clients. Working around these individuals on a daily basis gets to be extremely counterproductive. Communicate a concise and clear long-term strategy, which would include the growth prospects and trajectory for all employees.

Diverse Clients. Lacks Structure.

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time

Pros

Diverse client experience. Social workplace.

Cons

Lack of processes/strategy resulting in subpar client work. Limited professional development opportunities. Low starting pay for new associates.

Advice to Management

Cultivate your current staff. Check-in with them regularly as many seemed dissatisfied/unhappy.

5. functionally unstructured agency

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

functional, cool culture, interesting client roster

Cons

no structure or processes. questionable decision making.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know who you're hiring and why. Take better care of loyal employees

Disappointing experience

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

Many talented young professionals who come here wanting to learn, grow and work hard; cool office space.

Cons

Poor and immature leadership; lack of structure and process improvement; questionable business practices and decisions; questionable hiring practices; lack of professionalism; few professional development opportunities.

small public relations firm in transition

Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

We have a lot of really talented people that went to top schools like GVSU, Hope, Michigan State and Calvin. We also have a great reputation in managing important PR events around the city - everyone knows Lambert Edwards in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cons

We need to hire more women. Right now there are a lot of guys and it can be a bit of a boys club at times. Although they bring in business and know what they are doing, it can be a bit intimidating at times. Also, we have lost quite of business recently because of the economy. It makes me worry that not everything is as cheery as some might think. Bonuses were disappointing this year.

Advice to Management

Office politics will destroy us if we don't watch it. We are a small firm and everyone knows everything. Hold on to good people at all costs, especially those of us that are working hard and contributing. We also need to stick to the stuff we are good at (public relations). We need to hire people that aren't just friends of the owner. We need to hire people that actually know what they are doing.

Short term experience to take other places

Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates

Pros

A good place to build experience for young professionals, good people and a fun atsomphere. Everyone recives the chance to work on a wide variety of projects with different types of teams. Three practice groups ensure that you'll have the chance to work in a number of differenty industries, but not always with the best guidance or advice from the team leaders. It's a flexible work environment that values family and ensures that you have the time off you need when you need it, whether it's for personal reasons or sick kids. Vacation is ok and the benefits (medical, etc.) are actually unmatched, including offering reimbursement for medical deductibles.

Cons

Leadership is lacking, people are treated like it's high school and the chances for advancement (unless you're in favor with the CEO) are next to none. There is a clique-ish feeling that is difficult to break through and because advancment is so difficult, most people end up just looking out for themsevles rather than others, this leads to a lack of professional development for new hires and has soured more than one person on PR agency life. There is an overabundance of pressure to develop new business without any support or leadership from managment. New business wins are also not rewarded or really acknowledged in any way.

Advice to Management

Start running the business like a business rather than a personal toy, luck will only take you so far. Build a buisness plan that includes professional tracks for employees and annual reviews that will actually help people determine what they need to do in order to advance.

RSS Feed </> Embed