Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Be The First To
Add Photos

David L. Ramsey

My Leader Cares

ProsWhen one door closed, another opened; personal brand is a real thing - and it matters. There is no better place to work - they have your back.

ConsSales is where its at. Base salary is low, but uncapped commissions rock. I've seen my share of those have second and third jobs, but I have also seen those who make lots of money.

Thankful to use my skills to help people change their lives and work with a great team

ProsI trust the people I work with. I've previously worked with a big corporation and a smaller company. This place is different. I'm not worried about backstabbing politics. The culture is way better.

I've learned and grown a lot since I started here. I have the opportunity to impact a lot of people.

ConsIf you have a below average skill set or don't keep improving, you're going to feel like there's no opportunity for you to grow here. There's a lot of talented people here so you need to stay on top of your game.

The company is growing very quickly so there are some growing pains. It's not perfect, they make mistakes here too.

My time working with Dave Ramsey was very frustrating and disorganized. Didn't live up to the hype.

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThey're selling a great product...helping people get out of debt and giving people hope, hard to argue with that.

ConsAs an outside contractor, the company is very different than what they advertise and talk about it being like. Slow to pay, poor communication, have to ask for feedback and projects repeatedly. They are also very disorganized and not really suited to working with outside contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your lower management are doing. Make sure you are consistent with being who you say you are.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly and more.

Church Advisor (Former Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

Pros*** SOME of the people. There really are some hard working individuals. You just need to be wary of the workers with egos and yes, there are a good number of those employees at Lampo.
    *** Clean work environment, the facilities.
    *** SOME of the material. Some words of wisdom here are that most of the managers and employees think this is the end-all-be-all financial solution bravado. And that's to everyone's financial situation. There are steps that work for many people and in many situations. But any logical thinking person should know that there is not a cookie-cutter-approach to handling personal finances ALL the time. But if you're inside that workplace "it sure is" and you better recognize that.
    *** Christmas parties are fantastic, make other company Christmas parties look like a weekend picnic.

ConsLet's start somewhere, shall we? The money, the managers, the turnover, the summary coming up. Just read carefully and go through some of the other reviews here. The pay scale, system, structure, whatever you want to call it.... lacking. And by some reviews, very! Promotions are hard to come by unless you are extremely talented at closing. ~make it happen in every situation~ would be a tagline here. To them, the program works in every situation so be certain to make it happen!
    Management over the years has gotten overbearing and more than a few managers have left. Of course that leaves angst- filled teams of people that are ready to jump ship. Sure the "helping people" idealogy makes the work worthwhile. But all-in-all this has turned into a money-driving, dollars hungry machine of a company that EXPECTS each and every customer to -buy the product-.
    Dig a little bit and read with diligence. Recent happenings that make things more than shaky here, ie... Caution. Extra caution.To search in BING, put these 4 words... Christian Money Guru's Paranoid. Or on the same token, put 6 words, Spies, Cash and Fear inside Christian. Read and read thoroughly. That gives some summary to the employee distrust, frustration and turnover. So much more could be said here, but read those 2 articles for the "Current Event Happenings at Lampo".
    One other point, look at some of these reviews and see where former employees have noted the "Lampo Rapture". Employees gone from the organization for weeks or months and then others start to think of my goodness, where did this person go? And much of that falls in line with the mantra of "If your heart leaves then your butt will follow".

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow Up!! Some of them need to themselves sit down and write a personal evaluation of their character! Advice given to them is often in one ear out the other. Good compensation change ideas for more personal growth on teams are often thought of then thrown to the recycle bin. But learn more on how to better handle situations in personal growth of employees and compensation. Is it that air-tight? Yes.

What was once a great place to work, turned into the worst job I ever had.

Employee (Former Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

ProsYou get to build quality relationship with people who become lifelong friends.

When I first heard about Lampo, I had heard nothing but excellent things from both current and former employees (team members). I spent a considerable amount of time interviewing, and after a number of phone conversations and in-person interviews I began working there. For the first couple of years it legitimately earned it’s reputation as one of Nashville’s best companies to work for. There was a time when Dave Ramsey’s famous rants during one of our weekly staff meeting showed passion and effectively rallied the troops to a common goal of getting people focused on what is ultimately the most important thing about the mission of the company; to help people.

ConsAfter those first few years, things started to unravel. The rants were no longer fun and motivating, they became more and more instruments of leadership through fear. When mistakes were made, or even allegations, people’s reputations were publicly dragged through the mud in front of the entire staff; all in the name of transparency and moral righteousness. It became obvious that self-righteousness and moral superiority were the goal, rather than truly helping and loving people when they needed it most.

As for leadership, there were major disconnects with what was preached and what was practiced. The tendency of the majority of leaders was to check their brain at the door. The thought of having an original thought outside of what “Dave thinks”, was highly discouraged and vehemently unwelcome. “Leaders” would take actions by Dave and use them as acceptable examples of “good” leadership. Treating people of all ages with dignity and respect were often sacrificed in the name of being direct and clear. While the “open door” policy was repeatedly stated, fear of being labeled as someone “who’s time to move on had come” often stifled open and honest communication through the “no gossip” policy which was taken to an extreme by leadership and was mostly ignored by everyone else in private. Fear ruled over all communication and clarity was almost never truly present for anyone. Further, EntreLeadership principles are hypocritically ignored under many circumstances.

If you are looking to grow professionally, keep in mind that professional development is non-existent at Lampo. The thought of someone going to school and getting an advanced degree with hopes of advancing their career does not exist. The ideas in the EntreLeadership book are given more value than the vast amount of life experiences many employees bring to the table. Past experiences outside of Lampo are thought to be meaningless and without value because it lacks the mission of Lampo to support it. The thought of using knowledge obtained outside of Lampo is discouraged and new leaders are often made to feel dumb for thinking outside of the “Lampo box”.

And finally, pay and benefits. Simply put, it is below par, at best. Taking a lesser amount of money is considered the necessary sacrifice to be part of “work that matters”. That, and to make sure Dave and his top leaders become very wealthy men and, on the rare occasion, women. The favorite method of recruitment is to over-promise potential salary and to under-delivery on those promises. When I started I was promised within a few short years I would be paid more money that I had ever made in my entire life. In the end, I never even came close and I wasn’t even one of the worse cases. The reality is, the majority of people working for Lampo struggle to make ends meet and are often required to take second jobs. And, when this is brought to the attention of leadership, they are promptly told it is their own fault for not generating enough income through their own efforts. The cost of healthcare alone for employee is astronomical. Month premiums for families are in the hundreds of dollars and even after the $5,000 deductible, you are required to pay another 20% of cost. If major medical issues arise for you or your family, it literally has the potential to bury you financially. Dental and vision benefits do not exist at any cost through the company.

After a few years with the company, it became obvious I could no longer sit in an audience of my co-workers and act like I approved of the way they treated people with the lack of respect that continued to grow in the company. When I first started there I considered it the best job I had ever had, but by the time I left few years later, it had become one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. There is absolutely no job, on any level, I could recommend anyone committing for their career within Lampo. You will never be allowed to realize your full potential and you will never gain enough professional capital to make your time there worth it. My recommendation is to take you career elsewhere and to find work that truly matters to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit acting like the knowledge obtained through the shared experiences within Lampo are the only ones of any value. Leaders are human and make mistakes. There are no exceptions including Dave Ramsey himself.

Also, no matter how you define failure, whether it is moral, financial, spiritual or emotional, never forget we are all human and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. When people fail, this is when they need relationships and forgiveness the most. This is not the time to drag their name further into the mud to show your spiritual superiority or self-righteousness.

Unless you don't care about money, and are a 100% sold out Kool - aid drinking Daveite. . Work elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are genuinely good people.
    You do get to impact lives.
    Lampo lunches and volunteering for live events.
    Christmas parties are awesome!

ConsOverbearing fanatical leadership.
    Paranoia about doing or saying something wrong.
    Monday brag sessions and Wednesday devotionals are MANDITORY. You will be fired if you skip them, even if you might not religiously agree with the speaker. . Your either the same as everyone else, or you'd better learn to pretend to be like everyone else.
    The company does provide a lot of extras, but they come at the cost of pay and also gives leadership the "look at all we do for you how dare you question us" attitude.
    Leadership is down right psychotic about protection of the "brand".
    Leaders become leaders by longevity and loyalty to Dave. . Not by skill and abilities.

All in all, if Lampo were a country, I'd say it was North Korea. The citizens think it's heaven and that lil Dave-jung-il is a diety until they are exiled from the land and realize there is a whole Civilization outside that is advanced and that their fearless leader was just a man afterall.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet some of the talk get to Dave.
    STOP keeping him in a giant bubble of butt kissing so that he thinks there's nothing wrong.
    STOP the lampo rapture nonsense, not only is it negative for moral. . But it's down right cultishly creepy.

Great place to work with people who care.

ProsYour co-workers actually care about you. Leadership actually cares about you. You're not just a name or a number. Christmas parties are unbelievable. Environment is laid back and not stuffy at all. Dave and leadership are approachable and unbelievably generous. You wouldn't believe the stuff they've done for people who had medical emergencies. They go out of their way. I've been working here 6 years and it only gets better every year. Besides all that, the people who work at Lampo are unbelievably talented. It's hard to get a job here and the talent on board is proof that. Mediocre just doesn't cut it.

ConsLack of flexibility on hours. Telecommuting isn't option, even as a once a week deal. A lot of intense personalities can be intimidating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement isn't perfect, but it's pretty dang good. I don't have many complaints about leadership to be honest.

Definitely work that MATTERS- The opposite of corporate America

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

ProsI can't begin to describe how great my experience has been during my time with Lampo. The leadership in this company actually listens and cares about their team. I feel very appreciated and do not just feel like a replaceable unit of production. You know when make it through your first 90 days that you will be very well taken care of if you work hard and successfully accomplish your key results areas. The culture is one of the most amazing things about this company. A weekly company-wide staff meeting, weekly devotions, UNRIVALED Christmas party, yearly ministry time, and a monthly company-wide catered meal are just a few of the benefits. I feel that leadership clearly communicates all expectations. You will get great personal leadership training and other personal growth experiences while there. They really pour into their employees. There also seems to be many instances of people getting promotions and others moving to other areas of the company where they may be a better fit. As I said earlier, once you are on board they really do want you to stay and feel valued. Bottom Line- This company is truly rare and I feel very blessed to work here. Don't expect perfection. Do expect to work hard.

ConsVERY LONG INTERVIEW PROCESS (usually 12-15 steps)- This is obviously a good thing, but can be frustrating if you are not used to companies that are this thorough.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to care about your team the way you currently do. Keep communication wide open. Keep the current great work-life balance.

Best place I have EVER worked.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

ProsI love the mission and vision of this company. I love what we do, and how we help others. Everyone here is constantly encouraged by Dave and the leadership team. What we do is important, and we see it every day -whether that is going to the lobby to cheer for a debt-free scream, or Dave reading us letters sent to the company from people that appreciate FPU, EntreLeadership, Live Events, our team members, etc. I also like that there are so many facets to the company, so many different initiatives that we can be part of. Very bright future!
    The benefits/perks are also very good. There is always a BIG Christmas party, We get all the big holidays off, We get let out early on most Fridays of a holiday weekend, We have "Lampo lunch" once a month where the whole company has a meal together, extra week of time off per year to do volunteer work if you choose to do so, there is profit sharing (bonus). Everyone here genuinely cares for their co-workers, and are very helpful.

ConsI honestly have not had a negative experience in my years at Lampo. I would say the company is growing so fast the office space is becoming limited, and conference rooms are hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. I appreciate our leadership and how accessible they are, and how well they treat others. They lead by example.

Sales Advisor

Church Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, environment of ethics, fun company-wide activities, vacation time, and opportunity to grow. Be ready to work like no one else. We have tons of fun, but don't expect to come in tomorrow and just sit back with some coffee. It is a place that rewards diligence and hard work. Bring the heat!

ConsThe base is $12k per year so be ready to start building a business and don't expect to be handed sales. They get lots of leads, but it is not an environment that caters to an inexperienced sales person. I have been able to build up some accounts, but am working diligently each day and using all the sales skills I have. Plus I came from a strong sales background with 6 years of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to raise the base pay for new sales people. It would open up the opportunity for new advisors that have the heart of a teacher. Keep up the great culture and getting to know everyone. Dave rocks!

Worked for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey CEO David L. Ramsey. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey employees.