Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
4.3

David L. Ramsey

AMAZING company, mission, opportunities, and leaders! But don't bother if you don't want to work hard.

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Lampo for almost 8.5 years now. In my time at Lampo, I've had unbelievable opportunities for advancement and have interacted regularly with leaders at every level in the organization—up to and including regular meetings with Dave. I simply cannot say enough good things about this place, but I'll try to break it down to some key highlights in random order:

1. ADVANCEMENT: Within nine months of being here, I was asked to help lead one of the company's biggest initiatives to date. At the conclusion of that project, I was asked to change roles and create a brand-new team within the company. A year later, that position expanded to even greater responsibilities, and it has continued to grow since then. I've never seen a company go to such lengths and spend so much time investing in their young leaders. If you work hard and have a great attitude, the leadership notices.

2. INCOME: The leadership has proactively changed my entire comp plan for the better four times so far, and my personal income continues to grow every year. Today, in fact, I received the biggest single paycheck of my career. I LOVE the way Dave and the leadership share profit! It helps all of us experience the ups and downs of doing business. We rise or fall together!

3. INTEGRITY: I've been in countless "behind closed doors" meetings with leaders at every level, including regular meetings with Dave. I've seen and heard firsthand how this place deals with business, product, and personnel problems, and I'm always blown away with the incredible integrity they demonstrate every time. Even when it comes to the painful experience of letting a team member go, Lampo errs on the side of radical generosity.

4. CULTURE: I can't imagine a harder-working, more encouraging, more hysterical, more supportive group of people. We are all champions of our culture, and we'll all defend it with everything we've got.

5. MISSION: The work we do matters. We never lose sight of that. Leadership constantly connects our work and our success to the individual lives on the other end. We're not here for ourselves; we exist to serve other people. That's a great way to start the day.

Cons

One of the biggest cons that people may not expect in coming here is learning what it's like to work for a nationally known figure. Dave is definitely in the public spotlight, and believe it or not, a whole bunch of people out there don't like him. Of course, those are mostly people who have never met him, never sat in a meeting with him, and never really heard his heart on anything. They make assumptions based on nothing but rumor and speculation, and they throw it at him. If you work here, you take some of the brunt of that hate, too. We all have to have thick skin around here, because people always love to take shots at Dave and, therefore, at those of us who work with him.

As others have said, the growth of the company has put us in a bit of a squeeze space-wise. It stinks that we all can't fit in a single building anymore. And parking can be an issue if you come in a little late.

This isn't a con to me, but it is to some: We don't shy away from conflict. We deal with problems around here. We don't suffer laziness, poor performance, or gossip. If someone has a problem in those areas, they're sometimes shocked to learn that we actually address those things head-on, whether it's "comfortable" or not.

Watch your expectations. We have a blast, but we're serious about the work we do. Don't come here if you're scared to work hard, if you're just looking for a J-O-B, or if you don't believe in what we teach. If that's you, you won't be happy here.

Last, if you're checking out the cons because you've seen a few of the horrible reviews, I'd encourage you to check the dates on those one-star reviews. There was a concerted, intentional, rather public smear campaign against Lampo in the spring of 2014. A handful of former and, sadly, current team members got caught up in that. Use your own judgement, but at least be aware of the fact that a lot of those bad reviews are clustered within a month or two of each other.

Fantastic work environment (where you're treated like an actual human being)

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Lampo Group is truly an amazing place. I've done stints in corporate america, and honesty it's hard to imagine going back to that garbage.

Now, let's get something straight, this place isn't utopia. There are still humans involved after all, so it's not perfect. BUT, it's the closet thing to it that I've ever seen in a workplace.

1. Good People: Yeah, the hiring process is laborious and takes longer than it should sometimes. But the results are worth it. They hire people that care about their job, their co-workers, and the outcome. That's hard to find in many workplaces, but this place is filled with people that actually care. It's refreshing and fun to be around.

2. It's Always Changing: This place is constantly evolving with new products, departments, and much more. There's never a dull moment. Each season brings a different focus for different products, and it's cool to be involved in something so big that keeps growing and growing.

3. Personal Development: Since I have joined the company I have had three job titles (two promotions). I have worked hard, Leaders have recognized, and rewarded that with creating new opportunities for me to tackle. It's incredible to work at a place that really values me as a human being and not just a worker-bee. I see that from my direct leaders, even up to the way Dave interacts with us. They are investing in me 100% and that's rare to find. You're not just a number here.

4. Generosity: I could rattle off many examples, but I think this one sums it up the best. The company has a profit-sharing pool for certain positions that pays out throughout the year. At the end of the year, this particular profit pool had a surplus of funds. Rather than simply roll those funds over to the next year (the "logical" business decision), the leadership team cut very generous (and unexpected) bonus checks to a few of us team members that had really significant years. Who does that?!

Not to mention, as seen all over this page, the Christmas part is awesome. And tons of free food, gym reimbursement, free Costco membership, etc.

5. No Drama: The No-gossip policy is for real, and what a difference it makes. In prior jobs I've been around people that are big gossips, withhold information to "get ahead," backstab, and all that mess. That just doesn't happen here. People are transparent, and if there's issues they work it out like adults. There is never fear of "backstabbing" or "whispers" around. If there's a big personnel change, or structure change, the leadership team tells the whole company in full detail and addresses it head on. It's really refreshing, and easy to take for granted that most places don't operate like this.

Cons

1. Growing Pains: The Company is growing, and quickly. The difference between a 300 person company (Lampo just a couple of years ago) and a 500 person company (Lampo in a year or two probably) is very different. It's harder to keep the same culture and vibe. From time to time we see a little glimpse of those growing pains, but the good news is that leadership team knows this, is transparent about it, and truly striving to make this transition intentionally.

2. Spotlight: If you've never worked for a company with such a public facing representative (Dave), it can be a little bit of an adjustment. Dave has a bunch of people who love him and who have been changed forever by the principles he teaches. He also has haters, and from time to time those haters flare up in the media. So, it's not a big "con", but definitely takes a little bit of adjustment if you've never worked for a company connected to the media so closely.

3. The health insurance coverage/pricing is not competitive with most employers. It's decent for a single person, but if you're hoping to cover your spouse and/or children, you're better off buying it in the open market most of the time which is a shame.

Keep a very close pulse on the rapid hiring/growth/expansion right now. This is a critical time in our company's growth curve, and the more in touch with all team members vibe on this (from leadership all the way down to new junior team member), the better we can adjust and grow!

I will never go back to Corporate America!!!

Current Employee - Technical Recruiting in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiting in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty much everything.
    1. Dave is an unbelievable man. He has the biggest heart, and truly cares about all of his employees.
    2. The perks for working here are unreal, and everyday you get to see people's lives change.
    3. There is always so much to do and so many people you can learn from. We have the biggest Ruby shop in Nashville, and are always integrating cool technologies. It's a developers dream!
    4. Everyday, you are encouraged to be better than you were the day before. Not just in your career, but who you are as a person .
    5. If you put in the work, the opportunities are endless.

To some of the negative reviews on here... I have to wonder if these people have ever worked in Corporate America or had a boss that legitimately harassed them. I've had some of the worst leadership imaginable at previous jobs and I can not imagine a job that is better than this. I truly believe that some people who left are finding out the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Cons

The health insurance could be a little better.
    There are so many breakfast days, celebrations, and treats, you have to spend a little extra time on the treadmill if you don't want to pack on a few pounds. But that could also be considered a pro!

Advice to those applying... If you're not a Jesus lover, this may not be the place for you. NOT because you wouldn't be hired, but because we have weekly devotionals (amazing by the way) and it is very common for leaders to pray over us at meetings. If you don't have Christian beliefs, you may feel uncomfortable at times.

Continue being transparent with everyone on things going on within the company.

The BEST Company AND leaders I have ever worked for!

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 2 years now. I am STILL amazed on a REGULAR basis at the quality of leadership and communication provided at Lampo! I have worked for other corporations in the past and experienced the flip side of what can take place. Dave, our board members, and all other leaders I personally interact with on a regular basis have shown more generosity and care in this team than none other. We are all human and of course no work place experience will be perfect every day. The difference, however, I feel is that if you continue pouring into your team and helping them grow at this kind of level, the opportunities are endless. I LOVE my team and this company! My family wouldn't be where we are today without these extraordinary people I work alongside. Thank you to Dave and the board for your remarkable leadership!

Cons

In all honesty, I couldn't think of one!

Dave and Leadership: keep doing exactly what you have been doing to lead this team. It is an honor to be a part of it all!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This place really cares about people: customers and team members. I've never seen a company that will love and support you through tough times like Lampo. The leadership team is very intentional about keeping our unique culture. However, don't come here expecting to have fun and not do any work. This team is on a mission and we give it our all.

Cons

I wouldn't say these are cons but issues that could be improved: parking & benefits.

Incredible place to work! Everything I hoped it would be . . . and MORE!

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is truly awesome – it’s one of the things I love most about working here. People are cared for and treated with respect like no other place I’ve worked. The leadership really does value the person, not as a unit of output or production, but as an actual a human being! I’ve been particularly impressed with the level of open communication here, both in large organization-wide meetings and in smaller team settings. New ideas are welcomed and encouraged. If you work hard, there are tons of opportunities for advancing within the organization, and there is real intentionality behind mentoring. The no gossip policy creates an incredibly positive working environment. Another cool thing is that we celebrate wins, and team members are recognized for their hard work, not only by leadership (they do an excellent job at this), but by fellow team members as well. We take a lot of joy in seeing great things happening across the company whether it’s your own department or another. Work/life balance is real here, too. We work really, really hard while we’re at work, but we go home on time to be with our families.In addition to the culture, the caliber of people that work here is exceptional. I am constantly learning from those around me, and the sharing of knowledge and open communication is part of how we work. While this isn’t a perfect place (there is no such thing), I am so thankful to be a part of this organization and of this work that truly matters. This is by far the best place I’ve ever worked.

Cons

Minor/normal growing pains exist as the company experiences tremendous growth (like space, parking). From my perspective, leadership does a great job of identifying these things and working to put plans in place to address them.

Opportunity of a lifetime

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My favorite part of working at Lampo is the culture. The no gossip rule is really true here. It creates a very safe and warm environment knowing that people aren't discussing you behind your back. Every week we get to spend time doing a company wide devotional! I love taking time out in the middle of the week to get refocused and inspired. Leadership really cares about their team members. My direct leader asks about my family on a normal basis. I know that leadership values us for the people that we are and doesn't view us as "commodities". I have seen leadership go out of their way many times to make sure people are cared for. Every situation isn't handled perfectly because it's a place full of humans! But I personally feel like situations are handled right 95% of the time. One thing that is always true is that leadership has the right heart and intentions. Another thing I love is that we work really hard, but we also play hard. During the week you'll find us busy on the phone, in meetings, etc... but we do get to take time out to celebrate our wins and just enjoy some team time. When it comes to opportunity to grow in my career and advance I couldn't ask for more! I've had the opportunity to advance quite a bit since I started and really am thankful that leadership gave me an opportunity. I also love how intentional Lampo is at growing leaders. There is plenty of opportunities to be mentored and grow as a person and in your career. Work-life balance is great. Leadership asks you to start on time, but go home on time. We know that a healthy team member is someone that also spends time with their family and friends. Overtime is a very rare occurrence. Compensation in my role is very fair. I personally feel like working here is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Cons

Parking is tough right now. The company has grown so quickly that parking can't keep up with us! Health insurance is also very expensive simply because there are not enough people in the plan. Getting insurance off-site seems to be a much more affordable option.

Amazing Place of Servant Leaders

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have never felt more invested in professionally, personally and spiritually. I pinch myself that I get the opportunity to work here and do work that matters. I have been here for 6 years and am more passionate about this place than ever. What we do matters. We get the opportunity to impact someone's life to help them live intentionally and with purpose.

Cons

The cons are extremely minimal compared to the pros! We don't live in a perfect world. This company is always intentionally getting better.

Keep up the great work. Thank you for leading this team so well!

Exciting place to work

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a business veteran and I will tell you that this is the most exciting place you'll ever work. I've worked at 2 other large reputable companies and never experienced a friendlier and faster-paced environment. 99% of companies struggle with developing a culture that puts employees first but the Lampo Group has become a model in this regard. If you want to work for a company that values its team then this is the place for you.

Cons

The company is growing so much that finding a parking place can be tough some days.

Celebrate the small wins as well as the big wins.

Lampo OVER-PROMISED…and has OVER-DELIVERED on those promises.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been incredibly impressed with leadership's ability to lead at an extremely high level while still maintaining a relational camaraderie even with over 400 staff. Leadership is extremely transparent in their very frequent company-wide communication and they have been very upfront with their compensation philosophy. Their philosophy is fair because it is thoroughly explained BEFORE anyone takes a position. It is advantageous for driven people…not so much for those who are not. I have noticed there is very high levels of integrity that go into big and small decisions…even the most difficult decisions.

Cons

With over 400 staff people and so many departments, it is hard to get to know everyone but I really think Lampo leadership shows a lot of intentional effort to overcome that reality that would face any org of 400 staff people. Parking spots are limited but staff seem to learn the times when available spots are the most scarce. Leadership has addressed this minor issue and a great plan is in motion. Growing pains but very minor.

Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey Photos