Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.8

David L. Ramsey

Great place to work. Wish I never left!

Former Employee - Technology  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Technology in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work. I only left because I was moving out of state to get married. I don't think I will ever find another place like Lampo. The culture is something that you cannot recreate. It is exceptional. The team members are extremely talented, and creative. Leadership definitely has their thumb on the pulse of the company, and have a vision for the future. Lampo is growing like crazy and in my time there the staff about doubled. So much opportunity to move up in the company. People were getting promoted left and right. You do have to work for it, but there is also a great emphasis on balancing your work and home life. They do not want you to stay late every day. That wont help you move up.

Cons

I think the parking situation is a con. Because of the growth there has been limited parking and you may have to search around for a while to get a space, or park father away. That's a pretty minimal complaint but true.

GREAT mission and culture. TERRIBLE pay and benefits. MEDIOCRE leadership.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Sales in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance is awesome! You don't have to work late hours to get ahead, in fact, leadership actually wants you to arrive on time or early, work really hard while you're there, and then go home on time. Family-oriented company that practices what they preach, they do not want workaholics. It really is rewarding to know that you are helping people.

Cons

Definitely a CULT and the price to pay for a great mission and culture is terrible pay and horrible health insurance benefits. The company openly reports profit sharing numbers on a monthly basis, so anyone that can do elementary level math can deduce that about 2/3 of the company makes less than $40k / year. The money all goes to the top. Many of the leaders are bringing in 7 digits each year, but a vast majority of the company is financially struggling to feed their families, but they are so brainwashed about doing "work that matters" that they don't even care that they're broke. Leadership constantly tells employees how bad it is in corporate American which creating a bubble in which people are afraid to leave and find something better. Dave is a wonderful and generous man and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about him. Unfortunately he is the product and has to rely on his leadership team to run the company (several of which are incompetent, power-hungry, and have low business acumen).

Consider making pay and benefits more competitive. It's clear that leadership is taking advantage of the awesome culture and celebrity status of Dave and not paying employees well b/c they don't feel like they have to. The profit-sharing model sucks and needs to be reworked. There are many hard-working people that make between $40-60k that are not eligible for profit sharing. These people are broke and don't even get profit-sharing b/c they're "making TOO much money".

My Leader Cares

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When one door closed, another opened; personal brand is a real thing - and it matters. There is no better place to work - they have your back.

Cons

Sales is where its at. Base salary is low, but uncapped commissions rock. I've seen my share of those have second and third jobs, but I have also seen those who make lots of money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thankful to use my skills to help people change their lives and work with a great team

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I trust the people I work with. I've previously worked with a big corporation and a smaller company. This place is different. I'm not worried about backstabbing politics. The culture is way better.

I've learned and grown a lot since I started here. I have the opportunity to impact a lot of people.

Cons

If you have a below average skill set or don't keep improving, you're going to feel like there's no opportunity for you to grow here. There's a lot of talented people here so you need to stay on top of your game.

The company is growing very quickly so there are some growing pains. It's not perfect, they make mistakes here too.

My time working with Dave Ramsey was very frustrating and disorganized. Didn't live up to the hype.

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They're selling a great product...helping people get out of debt and giving people hope, hard to argue with that.

Cons

As an outside contractor, the company is very different than what they advertise and talk about it being like. Slow to pay, poor communication, have to ask for feedback and projects repeatedly. They are also very disorganized and not really suited to working with outside contractors.

Know what your lower management are doing. Make sure you are consistent with being who you say you are.

Don't work here

Current Employee - Corporate Sales  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company seems to be interested in family values

Cons

Horrible pay, Bad leadership and only the top people make any money Dave has a 18,000 Sq ft house and everyone else is starving

Start treating your employees better and share the wealth. I worked at the Dave Ramsey organization for three years and I saw employees that started with Dave being treated like crap. Oh and Don't let him pull a gun on you...
    It happened I was there

What was once a great place to work, turned into the worst job I ever had.

Former Employee - Employee  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to build quality relationship with people who become lifelong friends.

When I first heard about Lampo, I had heard nothing but excellent things from both current and former employees (team members). I spent a considerable amount of time interviewing, and after a number of phone conversations and in-person interviews I began working there. For the first couple of years it legitimately earned it’s reputation as one of Nashville’s best companies to work for. There was a time when Dave Ramsey’s famous rants during one of our weekly staff meeting showed passion and effectively rallied the troops to a common goal of getting people focused on what is ultimately the most important thing about the mission of the company; to help people.

Cons

After those first few years, things started to unravel. The rants were no longer fun and motivating, they became more and more instruments of leadership through fear. When mistakes were made, or even allegations, people’s reputations were publicly dragged through the mud in front of the entire staff; all in the name of transparency and moral righteousness. It became obvious that self-righteousness and moral superiority were the goal, rather than truly helping and loving people when they needed it most.

As for leadership, there were major disconnects with what was preached and what was practiced. The tendency of the majority of leaders was to check their brain at the door. The thought of having an original thought outside of what “Dave thinks”, was highly discouraged and vehemently unwelcome. “Leaders” would take actions by Dave and use them as acceptable examples of “good” leadership. Treating people of all ages with dignity and respect were often sacrificed in the name of being direct and clear. While the “open door” policy was repeatedly stated, fear of being labeled as someone “who’s time to move on had come” often stifled open and honest communication through the “no gossip” policy which was taken to an extreme by leadership and was mostly ignored by everyone else in private. Fear ruled over all communication and clarity was almost never truly present for anyone. Further, EntreLeadership principles are hypocritically ignored under many circumstances.

If you are looking to grow professionally, keep in mind that professional development is non-existent at Lampo. The thought of someone going to school and getting an advanced degree with hopes of advancing their career does not exist. The ideas in the EntreLeadership book are given more value than the vast amount of life experiences many employees bring to the table. Past experiences outside of Lampo are thought to be meaningless and without value because it lacks the mission of Lampo to support it. The thought of using knowledge obtained outside of Lampo is discouraged and new leaders are often made to feel dumb for thinking outside of the “Lampo box”.

And finally, pay and benefits. Simply put, it is below par, at best. Taking a lesser amount of money is considered the necessary sacrifice to be part of “work that matters”. That, and to make sure Dave and his top leaders become very wealthy men and, on the rare occasion, women. The favorite method of recruitment is to over-promise potential salary and to under-delivery on those promises. When I started I was promised within a few short years I would be paid more money that I had ever made in my entire life. In the end, I never even came close and I wasn’t even one of the worse cases. The reality is, the majority of people working for Lampo struggle to make ends meet and are often required to take second jobs. And, when this is brought to the attention of leadership, they are promptly told it is their own fault for not generating enough income through their own efforts. The cost of healthcare alone for employee is astronomical. Month premiums for families are in the hundreds of dollars and even after the $5,000 deductible, you are required to pay another 20% of cost. If major medical issues arise for you or your family, it literally has the potential to bury you financially. Dental and vision benefits do not exist at any cost through the company.

After a few years with the company, it became obvious I could no longer sit in an audience of my co-workers and act like I approved of the way they treated people with the lack of respect that continued to grow in the company. When I first started there I considered it the best job I had ever had, but by the time I left few years later, it had become one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. There is absolutely no job, on any level, I could recommend anyone committing for their career within Lampo. You will never be allowed to realize your full potential and you will never gain enough professional capital to make your time there worth it. My recommendation is to take you career elsewhere and to find work that truly matters to you.

Quit acting like the knowledge obtained through the shared experiences within Lampo are the only ones of any value. Leaders are human and make mistakes. There are no exceptions including Dave Ramsey himself.

Also, no matter how you define failure, whether it is moral, financial, spiritual or emotional, never forget we are all human and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. When people fail, this is when they need relationships and forgiveness the most. This is not the time to drag their name further into the mud to show your spiritual superiority or self-righteousness.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly and more.

Former Employee - Church Advisor  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Church Advisor in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*** SOME of the people. There really are some hard working individuals. You just need to be wary of the workers with egos and yes, there are a good number of those employees at Lampo.
    *** Clean work environment, the facilities.
    *** SOME of the material. Some words of wisdom here are that most of the managers and employees think this is the end-all-be-all financial solution bravado. And that's to everyone's financial situation. There are steps that work for many people and in many situations. But any logical thinking person should know that there is not a cookie-cutter-approach to handling personal finances ALL the time. But if you're inside that workplace "it sure is" and you better recognize that.
    *** Christmas parties are fantastic, make other company Christmas parties look like a weekend picnic.

Cons

Let's start somewhere, shall we? The money, the managers, the turnover, the summary coming up. Just read carefully and go through some of the other reviews here. The pay scale, system, structure, whatever you want to call it.... lacking. And by some reviews, very! Promotions are hard to come by unless you are extremely talented at closing. ~make it happen in every situation~ would be a tagline here. To them, the program works in every situation so be certain to make it happen!
    Management over the years has gotten overbearing and more than a few managers have left. Of course that leaves angst- filled teams of people that are ready to jump ship. Sure the "helping people" idealogy makes the work worthwhile. But all-in-all this has turned into a money-driving, dollars hungry machine of a company that EXPECTS each and every customer to -buy the product-.
    Dig a little bit and read with diligence. Recent happenings that make things more than shaky here, ie... Caution. Extra caution.To search in BING, put these 4 words... Christian Money Guru's Paranoid. Or on the same token, put 6 words, Spies, Cash and Fear inside Christian. Read and read thoroughly. That gives some summary to the employee distrust, frustration and turnover. So much more could be said here, but read those 2 articles for the "Current Event Happenings at Lampo".
    One other point, look at some of these reviews and see where former employees have noted the "Lampo Rapture". Employees gone from the organization for weeks or months and then others start to think of my goodness, where did this person go? And much of that falls in line with the mantra of "If your heart leaves then your butt will follow".

Grow Up!! Some of them need to themselves sit down and write a personal evaluation of their character! Advice given to them is often in one ear out the other. Good compensation change ideas for more personal growth on teams are often thought of then thrown to the recycle bin. But learn more on how to better handle situations in personal growth of employees and compensation. Is it that air-tight? Yes.

Great place to work with people who care.

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Your co-workers actually care about you. Leadership actually cares about you. You're not just a name or a number. Christmas parties are unbelievable. Environment is laid back and not stuffy at all. Dave and leadership are approachable and unbelievably generous. You wouldn't believe the stuff they've done for people who had medical emergencies. They go out of their way. I've been working here 6 years and it only gets better every year. Besides all that, the people who work at Lampo are unbelievably talented. It's hard to get a job here and the talent on board is proof that. Mediocre just doesn't cut it.

Cons

Lack of flexibility on hours. Telecommuting isn't option, even as a once a week deal. A lot of intense personalities can be intimidating at times.

Management isn't perfect, but it's pretty dang good. I don't have many complaints about leadership to be honest.

I worked at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Pros

Employees are genuinely good people.
    You do get to impact lives.
    Lampo lunches and volunteering for live events.
    Christmas parties are awesome!

Cons

Overbearing fanatical leadership.
    Paranoia about doing or saying something wrong.
    Monday brag sessions and Wednesday devotionals are MANDITORY. You will be fired if you skip them, even if you might not religiously agree with the speaker. . Your either the same as everyone else, or you'd better learn to pretend to be like everyone else.
    The company does provide a lot of extras, but they come at the cost of pay and also gives leadership the "look at all we do for you how dare you question us" attitude.
    Leadership is down right psychotic about protection of the "brand".
    Leaders become leaders by longevity and loyalty to Dave. . Not by skill and abilities.

All in all, if Lampo were a country, I'd say it was North Korea. The citizens think it's heaven and that lil Dave-jung-il is a diety until they are exiled from the land and realize there is a whole Civilization outside that is advanced and that their fearless leader was just a man afterall.

Let some of the talk get to Dave.
    STOP keeping him in a giant bubble of butt kissing so that he thinks there's nothing wrong.
    STOP the lampo rapture nonsense, not only is it negative for moral. . But it's down right cultishly creepy.

Worked for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey? Contribute to the Community!