Lancaster University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Vicky Tyrrell

1. Nice university, but poor location.

Pros

The campus involves almost everything, post office, spar, Barclays bank, varies cafes, although not very tasty. You can apply for a year bus ticket around 50 pounds. Salary is reasonable. There are some well known professors working there. Good place to focus on your work. Quite and peaceful around your office.

Cons

The administration is poor. The town is quite small, not enough entertainment there. Not many shops are around. slow train to manchester. Academic people seems quite isolated from each other.

2. Programme Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Lancaster University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large organisation and good opportunities to make progress in your career. You can ben entrepreneurial and create your own opportunity. Very good work/life balance.

Cons

Highly political organisation. In order for you to make a career you need to network and lobby a lot. indulgent work/life balance causes the environment to be more relaxed and less result-driven.

3. LU

Pros

A wonderful place to work. Great environment for development and career building.

Cons

The academic life it's not for everybody.

5. Good

Pros

What a wonder place to study in

Cons

hah hahah hah ha h hah

6. Marketing Assistant

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Lancaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Lancaster University (More than a year)

Pros

Creative job, gives you a lot of freedom, flexible timetable

Cons

No budget to work with

Advice to Management

Budget for marketing

7. It is a good place to work. The colleagues are very nice and friendly. In particular, the research in CS is very strong.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Lancaster, England (UK)

I worked at Lancaster University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The research atmosphere here is very good. You can grow a lot in terms of independent research and critical thinking. The university also provides varies training opportunities.

Cons

As a researcher, it depends on the project. So the promotion is not that frequent. The town is a bit small though.

8. Mindful Manager

Pros

Concentration on management skill development

Cons

Location is not the best for the school

9. A wide range of student jobs

I have been working at Lancaster University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment Approachable co-workers Flexible working hours to match academic timetable

Cons

National Minimum Wage for most part-time student jobs Many hierarchies

10. A comfortable place to work, but limiting

Former Employee - Computer Consultant in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Computer Consultant in Lancaster, England (UK)

I worked at Lancaster University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It seems too good to be true. Laid back, friendly, nice environment and interesting work with more freedom to learn than you could ever hope for. The social life is just great. You feel so lucky.

Cons

The pros lead to the cons. Nobody wants to leave and consequently the scales are congested. Also, it is hard to sack anybody as well, so the university politics are something you have to experience to believe! There are big "I am's" treading down others in an aggressive "dog eat dog" fashion to get the next promotion and "I want more money or I am leaving" attempts are made. The laid back environment turns into a rat race every time a more senior position becomes available. A mass exodus can then follow when there is outrage at who got the position, especially if the "I want more money..." attempt is allowed to work. If you are a graduate, but not a Lancaster graduate, you are held back and put down. Even worse than this though, there are the favoured ones that don't appear to be able to do anything wrong. And they get the rare promotions. It is all yawn-fully slow and frustrating, limiting, with no career development. Consequently you can stay too long before realising that although comfortable, you are wasting your time and watching your career go down the pan. Unless you leave. And that's the bit that is hard. And that is when the panic starts to set in that you need to escape and move on.

Advice to Management

This a hard one to be fair. I had the most respect for the senior management and I know that I am expected to be severely critical of them and incredibly rude. However, they tried hard to sell the benefits of contributing to the university, actively acknowledged the "university politics" effects and understood the frustrations. In many ways they were and are really good. But, they can't change the true effects and the interests of the individual in developing their full potential. Hard as it is, and thanks for trying, after a while, you do better to leave. Finally, to the rude and aggressive, skin crawlingly arrogant, "big I am's" who "want more money or I am leaving", I hope your under-parts become infected with flees and your hands fall off so you can't scratch them. And if it is not your hands that fall off, then I hope something else does. Just so you know. They so spoil it for everybody else. But apart from that, and apart from being frustratingly limiting, it is really good. Though it can become rut if you stay too long.

11. PhD student, resercher

Former Employee - PhD Student in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Lancaster, England (UK)

I worked at Lancaster University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

high level of education , good people

Cons

I couldn't find any disadvantages.

RSS Feed </> Embed