Lancaster University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vicky Tyrrell

Mindful Manager

ProsConcentration on management skill development

ConsLocation is not the best for the school

A wide range of student jobs

ProsFriendly environment
    Approachable co-workers
    Flexible working hours to match academic timetable

ConsNational Minimum Wage for most part-time student jobs
    Many hierarchies

A comfortable place to work, but limiting

Computer Consultant (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, England (UK)

ProsIt seems too good to be true. Laid back, friendly, nice environment and interesting work with more freedom to learn than you could ever hope for. The social life is just great. You feel so lucky.

ConsThe pros lead to the cons. Nobody wants to leave and consequently the scales are congested. Also, it is hard to sack anybody as well, so the university politics are something you have to experience to believe! There are big "I am's" treading down others in an aggressive "dog eat dog" fashion to get the next promotion and "I want more money or I am leaving" attempts are made. The laid back environment turns into a rat race every time a more senior position becomes available. A mass exodus can then follow when there is outrage at who got the position, especially if the "I want more money..." attempt is allowed to work. If you are a graduate, but not a Lancaster graduate, you are held back and put down. Even worse than this though, there are the favoured ones that don't appear to be able to do anything wrong. And they get the rare promotions. It is all yawn-fully slow and frustrating, limiting, with no career development. Consequently you can stay too long before realising that although comfortable, you are wasting your time and watching your career go down the pan. Unless you leave. And that's the bit that is hard. And that is when the panic starts to set in that you need to escape and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis a hard one to be fair. I had the most respect for the senior management and I know that I am expected to be severely critical of them and incredibly rude. However, they tried hard to sell the benefits of contributing to the university, actively acknowledged the "university politics" effects and understood the frustrations. In many ways they were and are really good. But, they can't change the true effects and the interests of the individual in developing their full potential. Hard as it is, and thanks for trying, after a while, you do better to leave. Finally, to the rude and aggressive, skin crawlingly arrogant, "big I am's" who "want more money or I am leaving", I hope your under-parts become infected with flees and your hands fall off so you can't scratch them. And if it is not your hands that fall off, then I hope something else does. Just so you know. They so spoil it for everybody else. But apart from that, and apart from being frustratingly limiting, it is really good. Though it can become rut if you stay too long.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD student, resercher

PhD Student (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, England (UK)

Proshigh level of education , good people

ConsI couldn't find any disadvantages.

Excellent

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, England (UK)

ProsTop quality research facilities and lecturers. Supportive staff and good amenities on campus. Good location near the Lake District.

ConsSome buildings are showing their age,

Great learning experience in a nice environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy office enjoyed a good atmosphere and had a competent boss. We avoided some of the office politics which exist in other areas. Project allocation was based on ability and desire to learn a given discipline. Of course, deadlines and scope of work were taken into consideration.

ConsLow wages. Sometimes, given the way projects were distributed and clients were accommodated there was a tendency for projects to creep beyond the allocated time.

Reasonable University employer

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, England (UK)

Pros- Flexible working time
    - Good pension
    - Opportunity to work with a broad range of people and students
    - Frequent travel opportunities

Cons- Limited chance for promotion
    - Pay for car parking
    - Limited chance for advancement if not following an academic career

Worked for Lancaster University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lancaster University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lancaster University CEO Vicky Tyrrell. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Lancaster University employees.