Lancer Hospitality Reviews

Glenn Baron

1. Good summer job

Current Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast and easy-to-learn training, managers work with you, very welcoming environment. Lancer Hospitality has nothing but a good work experience for me as an up-and-coming college student.

Cons

Not really a con..management is very strict about work schedules and workforce percentage. You must work for them long enough to get more hours. Since it's also typically a summer job, things can get hectic towards the end of summer as people start to leave for school or leave for another location.

2. bad experiences

Former Employee - Tennessee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Tennessee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

great customers, nice work setting, there are some great employees.

Cons

bad managers, terrible attitudes at work place. very unprofessional!

Advice to Management

please monitor who you put in leadership roles. Bad supervisors create bad employees, and has potential to run off great employees.

3. Great company and people!

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

Pros

All in the title. Great company and people.

Cons

Each shift I've work I've had to stay later than my end time.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate schedule times.

5. If you have self-worth, stay away from this company.

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some good people working here. Some of the "corporate" staff were willing to listen to come up with solutions to certain issues.

Cons

The "corporate" structure this company attempts to portray is disgusting. There is little to no communication between upper management and site general managers. The company hires general managers who are not qualified to fulfill their duties, and instead of solving the issue with the GM, they'd rather nit-pick the rest of the staff. Upper management has no problem firing staff for miniscule reasons. The food industry has a high turn over rate as it is, unfortunately, after 20 years in the business, I have never seen it at such a rate as with this company. The Regional Managers should not be in the sites barking orders at lower level employees, this should come directly from the GM. If your GMs are not capable of doing their job, you need to reevaluate or teach them. The company's "training" procedures are extremely lacking. But you are expected to know what they want within a very limited time frame, with even more limited resources. Don't bother going to your Regional Manger for help/advice, chances are they don't know what's expected either. The CEO of the company is "feared," by all employees. Upon first meeting him, he came across as pompous and rude. He doesn't take the time to tell anyone who he is, but he will immediately start barking orders & telling people what to do. You are expected to listen to his scolding without so much as saying a word. Glwnn Baron will never yell, but he will make you feel like a child who just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar before dinmer. He says what he wants to say and that's all their is to it. No communication, no conversation, no two way street. It's Glenn Baron's way or the highway. You can't expect your employees to respect you, with an attitude like that. If you want a job with growth, where you can put your ideas to use, don't bother with this hack of a company. They will lowball your pay, treat you like a number, and when they are finished with you...you're out on your behind before you know it.

Advice to Management

Stop growing, when you are incapable of sustaining! Learn how to communicate with ALL employees and treat them like people, not your minions simply there to do your bidding. Start hiring Regional & General Managers who are qualified for their positions with the company, instead of wasting everyone's time. Ask questions of your employees instead of jumping to conclusions and down their throats. The answers you get, just might surprise you and make much more sense in daily use, than these ridiculous standards that you use as your guidelines. Allow your employees some creative freedom, we're the ones face to face with customers on a daily basis, not you. We know what they want and what they are asking for. Creating guidelines/specs in a corporate, controlled environment, kitchen is not the best way to "create" them. Let the people who are actually doing the work decide & contribute to these conversations.

Growing company but poor communication

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the ability to work for a growing company, that promotes staff from within. I also appreciate how hard front-line managers work. Their day to day operations people are wonderful and work hand in hand with hourly staff quite well. I just keep telling myself to stick it out for 3 more years, and maybe I will earn a promotion like some of my managers have earned.

Cons

Every single property has a GM who is micro managed to death by a Regional Manager. No one can make a decision, and there is quite a bit of turnover. The retail staff is given direction from Regional Managers which completely oversteps the GMs authority. Many great, wonderfully hard-working managers have quit or have been let go. Salary managers will work 60 to 70 hours a week, with 100 hour work weeks sprinkled in throughout the busy season. The company is growing at a very fast pace, and not thinking about growth, rather taking on new business then just figuring it out. Their catering team is clearly not defined with leadership. Banquet Managers answer to GMs, and also report to Regionals and a Corporate Banquet Manager. There are too many cooks in the kitchen, and trying to work every single day as a Banquet Manager in this company is stressful. The few companies I have worked for typically have someone in charge of sales and someone in charge of operations. Regional Managers should have nothing to do with catering, and should focus solely on retail.

Advice to Management

Seperate the divisions of the company, we are growing to fast to not change our corporate management structure. Let the GMs run our venues, I should never have to speak to a Regional Manager. My GM should be the one to give me direction (not a Regional).

Very unorganized and questionable business practices

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

The staff I work with.

Cons

Management and home office turn over is staggering. No infrastructure, no set recipes. Asked to withhold information from staff and customers that they rightfully should know.

Advice to Management

Slow down growth and invest in infrastructure to stabilize existing sites.

8. Lancer at Normandale

Former Employee - Lead Barista/Register in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Barista/Register in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked both the managers, and most of the other coworkers. They were friendly, reasonable, and nice. The work was easy enough

Cons

The pay isn't anything special, and some of the stations can be pretty boring. It was a long bus ride from where I lived, but that's just me. A lot of the coworkers weren't reliable, so schedules changed often.

Simply a job, not a company to build career/retirement path at/from

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent staff at the sites and corporate office (except for 85% of management)

Cons

Cons: The owner of the company is overbearing and requires complete control of every situation. Others to name a few: 1). Management reads & reviews email/IM logs for no legitimate reason other than for micromanagement purposes 2). Health insurance plan costs were not negotiated for the size of the company and were not affordable 3). Toxic corporate office environment with very low morale, mostly coming down from management levels and above 4). Outdated point of sale hardware & software 5). Minimal PCI compliance ranking/level 6). Outdated infrastructure hardware & software 7). Department directors discuss confidential employee terminations with department staff 8). Department directors are unable to separate the difference between work & personal time 9). Management feels it needed to email former staff at personal email addresses after employment has been ended and insinuate situations that could have potential legal retaliation & ramifications taken in return

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and your employees will return the investment to the company. If staff are treated with respect and compensated within competitive market rates the company would not have a revolving door association. Note that people are not leaving the company because they are weak or because there is something wrong with them. People leaving because there is much better available.

Learned a lot!

Pros

Great learning experience, and great people to work with. Never a boring day and always busy. Management was not afraid to try new approaches to solve issues.

Cons

It has all the same issues any other company in this industry has. Except, It is growing faster than it can keep up, changes happen faster than they can be communicated.

Advice to Management

More training, structured communication.

Outlook Positive

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can handle fast paced, multi-tasking environment this is the place to be. The company is growing and as such offers growth in your career. I enjoy the fact that even though it is a large company the CEO is involved in every detail of the operations. Meaning, his decisions are fact based and aligned with the vision of quality product and services. I have seen him have lengthy conversations with line level employees about what is happening in their work environment and he will act on their input.

Cons

Corporate structure is somewhat undefined but they are working towards resolving through new hires and direct communication. It will fix itself soon.

Advice to Management

More employees are needed in upper management.

RSS Feed </> Embed