Lancer Hospitality

Reset
2.9
Glenn Baron

1. Growing company but poor communication

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the ability to work for a growing company, that promotes staff from within. I also appreciate how hard front-line managers work. Their day to day operations people are wonderful and work hand in hand with hourly staff quite well. I just keep telling myself to stick it out for 3 more years, and maybe I will earn a promotion like some of my managers have earned.

Cons

Every single property has a GM who is micro managed to death by a Regional Manager. No one can make a decision, and there is quite a bit of turnover. The retail staff is given direction from Regional Managers which completely oversteps the GMs authority.

Many great, wonderfully hard-working managers have quit or have been let go. Salary managers will work 60 to 70 hours a week, with 100 hour work weeks sprinkled in throughout the busy season. The company is growing at a very fast pace, and not thinking about growth, rather taking on new business then just figuring it out.

Their catering team is clearly not defined with leadership. Banquet Managers answer to GMs, and also report to Regionals and a Corporate Banquet Manager. There are too many cooks in the kitchen, and trying to work every single day as a Banquet Manager in this company is stressful. The few companies I have worked for typically have someone in charge of sales and someone in charge of operations. Regional Managers should have nothing to do with catering, and should focus solely on retail.

Advice to Management

Seperate the divisions of the company, we are growing to fast to not change our corporate management structure. Let the GMs run our venues, I should never have to speak to a Regional Manager. My GM should be the one to give me direction (not a Regional).

2. Lancer at Normandale

Former Employee - Lead Barista/Register in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Barista/Register in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked both the managers, and most of the other coworkers. They were friendly, reasonable, and nice. The work was easy enough

Cons

The pay isn't anything special, and some of the stations can be pretty boring. It was a long bus ride from where I lived, but that's just me. A lot of the coworkers weren't reliable, so schedules changed often.

3. Simply a job, not a company to build career/retirement path at/from

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent staff at the sites and corporate office (except for 85% of management)

Cons

Cons: The owner of the company is overbearing and requires complete control of every situation.

Others to name a few:
    1). Management reads & reviews email/IM logs for no legitimate reason other than for micromanagement purposes

2). Health insurance plan costs were not negotiated for the size of the company and were not affordable

3). Toxic corporate office environment with very low morale, mostly coming down from management levels and above

4). Outdated point of sale hardware & software

5). Minimal PCI compliance ranking/level

6). Outdated infrastructure hardware & software

7). Department directors discuss confidential employee terminations with department staff

8). Department directors are unable to separate the difference between work & personal time

9). Management feels it needed to email former staff at personal email addresses after employment has been ended and insinuate situations that could have potential legal retaliation & ramifications taken in return

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and your employees will return the investment to the company. If staff are treated with respect and compensated within competitive market rates the company would not have a revolving door association. Note that people are not leaving the company because they are weak or because there is something wrong with them. People leaving because there is much better available.

Learned a lot!

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality

Pros

Great learning experience, and great people to work with. Never a boring day and always busy. Management was not afraid to try new approaches to solve issues.

Cons

It has all the same issues any other company in this industry has.
    Except, It is growing faster than it can keep up, changes happen faster than they can be communicated.

Advice to Management

More training, structured communication.

Outlook Positive

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can handle fast paced, multi-tasking environment this is the place to be. The company is growing and as such offers growth in your career. I enjoy the fact that even though it is a large company the CEO is involved in every detail of the operations. Meaning, his decisions are fact based and aligned with the vision of quality product and services. I have seen him have lengthy conversations with line level employees about what is happening in their work environment and he will act on their input.

Cons

Corporate structure is somewhat undefined but they are working towards resolving through new hires and direct communication. It will fix itself soon.

Advice to Management

More employees are needed in upper management.

7. It was nice working there but there is a lot of turnover.

Former Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

High turnover rate. Managers micro manage.

Challenging environment at times, but a good place to work.

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

This is a continually growing company and it feels like it, in terms of the stresses that come with it. I'm used to it, having been here for a while. I like the growth, it makes me feel secure. Additionally, I feel like hard working staff are appreciated.

Cons

Being a growing company, the need to get people into expanded positions sometimes has made for poor hiring decisions, which in turn creates the mostly false impression of high turnover. I think the annual raises are not applied fairly across the board. Some people deserve little, other people deserve more.

Advice to Management

Be a bit smarter with hiring the right people, not just fill a vacant slot with someone with a pulse. It will lead to less turnover and more continuity. Take swifter action when it's clear someone is not working out, instead of prolonging a bad situation.

Lancer Hospitality is not a good place to work if you are looking for a career there is no advancement!

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

I have thought and thought if there was anything positive I could tell you about Lancer Hospitality, but there just anything I can come up with.

Cons

You should know before you consider a job with Lancer Hospitality that you will be micromanaged. Emails are reviewed on a frequent basis by managers and the inter company chat "big ant" is also watched. If you are out your desk is rummaged through and your computer is checked. I was fired because I mentioned in Big Ant glassdoor.com to someone. Keep in mind someone else told me about it. I wish I had been told about glassdoor.com before I interviewed, I would not have wasted my time.

Can't See the Forest For the Trees

Current Employee - Corporate in Mendota, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate in Mendota, MN

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Some talented, if badly under compensated, junior employees at corporate, over worked and creatively deprived chefs with a wealth of experience, and several high ranking execs who've become jaded and accepted their station in life, despite having their talents invalidated on a daily basis. Upper management has a knack for hiring talented young candidates at bargain barrel rates. Some of the people who work alongside you are great to be around, and lots of people here have bright futures, possibly elsewhere. Extremely talented IT department, graphic designers and financial experts.

Cons

Pedantic and arbitrary tasks are routinely assigned to people in specialized management positions, who are hopelessly relegated to having all of the responsibility and none of the authority in a severely toxic working relationship. Grandfathered execs who seemingly define milestones and responsibilities by the flight of their whimsy regularly derail true ingenuity and are only satiated by the answers they expect, which is an offering of fealty by precedent of anxious, unqualified, overpaid employees, who have outlived their usefulness as it pertains to operating a business of this nature in the modern world.

Top level executives are trigger happy and go on firing sprees, often because they are incapable of identifying their own failures and shortcomings, regularly turning their gaze on employees doing the most to advance the rhetoric of an organization with practices and offerings dating back to the 90s, and sparing those that have spent the duration of their employ in a cyclical manipulation, merely doing what must be done to get paid another day. At times it's perceived as a game of chicken with talent that are awakened to the reality that they're being poorly compensated and over worked.

Magic 8 balls are the closest approximation to bold decision making, as corporate employees' responsibilities change so rapidly, and without explanation, that no pragmatic thought or possible logistics could be attributed to their command. Constructive dialogue in meetings is meaningless, as the social environment is fraught with a structure more suitable for the animal kingdom. True problem solving is lost on thoughts of "gaming the system" as you may find yourself astounded by three hour meetings regarding how to manipulate ratings on sites like Yelp, in lieu of remedying the issues at the source of existing complaints. It's a patchwork corporation that brazenly defies even the simplest concept of advancement.

If you're a "fake it til you make it" type, or looking for entry level work, this is the place for you. If you know your value, or are an experienced professional, don't waste your time interviewing with Lancer. Your most important qualification is your willingness to accept low compensation and to not only work more than is reasonable for an employee in your position, but you will be expected to do other jobs as well ("all hands on deck!", devoid of the familial sense of community that would occasionally encourage employees in other companies to do so of their own volition). Lowball offers are regularly appended by false promises (they will still use the economy as an excuse to offer you a meager annual sum).

This is the type of company that has been around long enough that they should know well enough to bring in talent auditors to evaluate the lack of ambition, technical skills and general day to day failings of their upper corporate work force, so they can repair what needs fixing and properly compensate their handful of earnestly talented and hardworking people. Instead, they choose to fire bullets straight up into the sky and hope more of them hit target markers than people. Their relative commercial success in the 20 years preceding this decade has left them blind to what the future holds, and the bleed out will be slow and agonizing. If you're in the business of hospitality, there are a dozen more promising companies to work for in the metro area, and you will certainly not want your experience with Lancer defining your professional legacy indelibly.

Advice to Management

Offer advanced training to your upper management, and do so yourselves electively. Let specialists dictate to you what must be done, that is why you hired them. You are retarding their abilities. Have your staff audited, a lot of your current work force is treading water. Find a direction and navigate it instead of needlessly changing your course. You do not see the body of your history, but you have moved so short a distance with so many people in your employ. This reality is more your fault than theirs.

Lancer is a diverse company with a great deal of opportunity for those who want to work hard.

Current Employee - Catering
    Current Employee - Catering

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of avenues for career development. Very entrepreneurial company that promotes from within - even if you want to completely change departments. Management is open to new ideas, as long as they are framed in a positive way (and not just moaning). The venues are fun and the people are awesome! My team feels like family. You can learn a lot here.

Cons

The CEO / president of the catering division demands that you work hard, adapt to change, and always continue to develop in whatever position you are in. I personally don't think of these as "cons," but if you are looking for a place to just settle in and keep the status quo, it's probably not a great place for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed