Lancer

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.9

Luis Alvarez

Worked at Lancer as ME on two separate occasions, great company.

Former Employee - Project Manufacturing Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manufacturing Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lancer

Pros

Will invest in training, but individual must seek it out.

Cons

Period of time where regardless of performance and reviews, increases were only 3% or less

Do a better job of taking care of senior employees.

unique work environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lancer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a easy job to get and the hours were decent. You get free admission into the zoo

Cons

The environment was very disorganized and confusing.

Need to wonder if they care for their employees

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lancer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a degreed engineer and want to learn different processes, Lean Manuft and simple Six sigma, this is the place to be. The various manufacturing makes this a great place to learn, plastic, metal forming, alumn forging, welding, tube bending, CNC machining, assembly and accredited testing.
    Lancer is heavy into LEAN mfg...and sort of light, for now, into six sigma.

Cons

No real company values, even though it is written....no accountability, trying to advance...forget about it...unless you are family. HR...sounds like a lawyer or politician.
    I do miss my friends and all the things, processes I have implemented and taught.

If you really care about your employees, give them a career path, deal with the people that causes trouble or under performing.

Cool Company

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lancer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome work ethic and culture. We had tons of happy hour and fun stuff outside of the office.

Cons

Didn't really like San Antonio that much so I hade to move. Otherwise I couldn't find any cons.

Did not like my time here

I worked at Lancer full-time

Pros

Positive comments are lacking at this time.

Cons

No advancement in some departments. Shipping too many jobs to Mexico.

Offer more salary. Provide work/life balance. Consider outsourcing career tracks that you cannot promote within.

Never seen a place waste so much money trying to prove how they saved it.

Current Employee - Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Lancer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is almost impossible to get fired from this place. One is left to do their job with very little oversight.
    Extremely laid back atmosphere.
    Opportunity to be your own person and learn a tremendous amount if one stays focused.

Cons

Some of the most unprofessional and downright uneducated people are left to make large company decisions.
    They waste millions of dollars trying to prove how they saved money. A true fallacy.

Quit playing a show to the Japanese owners and start making real changes that make sense for increasing revenue and overhead.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Lancer

Pros

Decent starting job
    Good Management and Strong Leadership
    Cooperative people
    Lean Focused Company

Cons

Hard item to get the project done on time
    No sense of urgency

The top level management is very determined to provide quality resources to employees. I believe employees have to realize that working together as a group will help the company grow even more. There are smaller groups that are working really hard to improve quality of products, but a few other groups are hostile. Probably a sense of urgency is also required.

average

Current Employee - Software in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Lancer

Pros

small groups, information sharing and visibility

Cons

Low pay, not much to offer for advancement, limited technology

A relaxed work environment at a company that is trying to change for the better.

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Lancer

Pros

Lancer has a fairly relaxed work environment. For the most part people come in at 8:00 and leave at 5:00. That is unless you are on the optional 9/80 schedule which allows you to have every other Friday off by working 9 hours Monday through Thursday every week.

Cons

Lancer is Japanese owned (since 206) and we are in the midst of major changes to our production philosophy and overall business philosphy. While these changes are not necessarily bad, there is always a bit of difficulty experienced when going through change. We also have a production plant in Mexico, so frequent trips are usually required. Language barrier can be tough.

I would like to see senior management take on a more active leadership role in the company. They seem fairly distant except at the quarterly meeting.

A place you want to make a difference, but can't

Current Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Lancer

Pros

Flexibility and control over work. There is a family feel among the trenchline employees. The management could learn something from them. The Engineering VP spends more time securing and justifying his position instead of improving him personal skills. The atmosphere is loose and laid back. They are making minor attempts to improve relations with the employees. Insurances have improved.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, management support. There is very little accountability. Lives are unlimited. There is low morale because the employees feel like they are appreciated and taken care of. They feel like they are being blown off. Product called innovative don't have any state of the art technology. Cutting edge ideas aren't considered and so the same standard systems are used. With better management the company would improve a great deal. Employee retention is low especially when it comes to Upper level positions. Less than a year in multiple cases. Cross department knowledge sharing is nonexistent.

Take some time out and listen to your employees. Don't just give them lip service. 2 weeks after a boot camp about communication and teamwork everyone is back to CYA and playing the blame came.