Land O'Lakes Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
90 reviews filtered by
3.9
Chris Policinski

Pros
  • Great coworkers, excellent compensation and company benefits, decent work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunities for career advancement vary (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also Minnesota winters can be insufferable (in 3 reviews)

• I guess it could be described as a bit suburban and mundane, but they provide good equipment and plant for everyone (in 3 reviews)

1. Management cares

Current Employee - Logistics in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

The management cares about there emploees. There are opportunities to be apart of projects if interested. They give back to the employees and have more diversity programs then before. Generally trying to be a more diversified company.

Cons

There are no developed career paths. If you want to come to the company to grow that is extremely hard to do. They dont offer any career councilling or wanting to move you into a different position. The maternity leave is not goood at all for the size company that it is or trying to grow into. You only get 5 weeks partially paid. They do not offer any paternity leave. Recently when upper management has been asked about the maternity leave the try to avoid the question and say it is being worked on but does not offer any information on this. They are trying to promote women in the work place but are very far away from really doing that.

Work on establishing career paths to grow your employees from within. If you want to market yourself as a large company make sure that you offering want other large employers do for their employees such as promoting women and offering better maternity/ paternity leave.

2. Great company to start career.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Committed to training of employee's. Encourage giving back to the community. Employee's look out for the individual well being of co-workers.

Cons

Business complexity can be difficult to navigate.

3. Overall Really Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes (more than a year)

Pros

Company cares for employees and provides good work/life balance and opportunities to work flexible schedules. Most of the people I work with are really nice and helpful. Company is really looking to grow over the next few years too. Free coffee is a nice perk too

Cons

The company has a fairly old employee age average, which can lead to some people just riding out in the position until retirement. Fairly conservative company sometimes, which can stifle change. Cafeteria food isn't anything to write home about either

You need to spend money to make money

Striving to engage employees

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company genuinely seems interested in engaging employees to grow the businesses. The office has recently been upgraded and is no longer a drab sea of brown cubicles.

Cons

Don't come here if you're planning to have a child anytime soon. There is no paternity leave and the "maternity leave" is the standard 6-week short term disability benefit, which ends up being 5 weeks of reduced pay after the waiting period week. Some managers seem ok with flexible schedules but there's no company wide policy and many departments place more value on face time than work output. Management has hinted at more changes to come but as of now they're vague promises without any real timelines or details. More attention is being paid on efforts to get women into leadership positions, which is great but the concerns of professional workers and staff are falling by the wayside.

If you're not in marketing, IT, or sales it can be challenging to find a career path open to candidates with non-traditional backgrounds. People tend to be conservative in decisions and actions.

Stop promoting the free coffee like it's curing cancer. Yes it's a nice benefit but people are looking for more substantial change than the "upscale pastries" that will be in the new coffee bar.

Just because things are better than they used to be doesn't mean they're good, it just means you're making incremental progress.

6. Land O' Lakes is a growing company!

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Land O' Lakes is well-known across the Twin Cities metro area as a great employer, community-involved, a ompany that cares about their employees and shows it. There are many things to be involved in, from work related projects, process improvements, to Employee Resource Groups and the Employee Council.

Cons

I'd like to have more flexibility on work scheduling, telecommuting.

Continue to look for and implement ways of getting employees involved in various cross-functional projects and ways to improve employee life such as the summer work schedule.

7. MAA

I worked at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Everything was amazing I loved the company I love the bosses management very family oriented and geared towards your success can't explain how thankful I am

Cons

Nothing awesome company hope to get fulltime loved it loved it loved it loved it amazing company amazing company no cons

Keep it up

Beginning of my Professional Career

Current Employee - College Relations Coordinator in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - College Relations Coordinator in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Invested in my personal growth, many training opportunities, cross-functional projects, considered as an employee and not a number, engaged, wonderful management, flexible with personal and professional life, willing to work with your learning abilities, considerate of work-life balance.

Cons

Senior level management may be political, need to improve promotion of women in the workplace

The most dangerous phrase in the a business is "we've always done it this way".

Land O'Lakes, a collaborative workplace.

I have been working at Land O'Lakes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Land O'Lakes almost 8 years. Really like company culture and collaboration of employees. The company has grown over the last several years, has been great to be a part of that growth and see the company change in a positive way. With that growth have seen new and more opportunities to grow in as an employee. Land O'Lakes is good at developing employees in their career.

Cons

Even though I mentioned Land O'Lakes is good at developing employees, they can improve on having more structured career paths. Sometimes it's not always clear what the next career path opportunity can be for employees. Can also improve on structured training programs for employees, especially those employees that work remotely. There are good training classes at the corporate office but they haven't implemented as strong of options for remote employees.

Land O'Lakes - overall good company

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, products and brands you can be proud to represent, great job of setting annual growth and profitability targets (the right amount of risk vs caution), focused on worthwhile farm to fork products and services, advancement opportunities exist so if you can drive your career you will see results, good community outreach and sustainability

Cons

Accountabiilty is a big problem along with too much collaboration. Big focus on including all stakeholders, but when stakeholders won't participate or don't want to do the work, those that are wired to execute and achieve results end up frustrated. Very easy for some employees to do just enough to get by while those who are engaged are expected to do more. Nearly impossible to get a poor performer out of the company, in the end this slows down progress. High turnover with diverse employees, an element of exclusion with cliques.

Hire managers with some backbone who can hold their employees accountable. Figure out why the company cannot keep diverse talent. If the company wants to hire the very best people, they will not come to a company that has slackers. High performers want to be surrounded by high performers.

11. Great Company to work for!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the people at Land O'Lakes the most, I find that they are a second family to me, making coming to work much more enjoyable! They offer a great work-life balance and the benefits are great! I have been here almost 10 years and am grateful to have grown with opportunities throughout my career here.

Cons

I am lucky, my commute is not bad, but depending on where you live in the Twin Cities, it is far north. In the future, I hope the bus or light rail transportation will be better coming into this area as I would love to be able to utilize that in the future.

I would like to see more amenities onsite, which they are working towards, so that is great! I think leadership needs to continue to follow in the trends of work-life balance, ability to work from home as needed for weather or family issues.