Land O'Lakes Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Chris Policinski

Pros
  • Good work life balance, excellent benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunities for career advancement vary (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also Minnesota winters can be insufferable (in 3 reviews)

• Inconsistent evaluations, some are evaluated by just one boss in the plant, but at corporate you're evaluated by lots of Directors (in 3 reviews)

1. Decent Place

I worked at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Working at Land O'Lakes was a good experience. Though my contract was cut short because budget cuts.

Cons

There was lack of work towards the end. I don't know if it's due in part because projects weren't getting approved.

Advice to Management

None right now.

2. Great workplace!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Land O'Lakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, strong focus on employee education and advancement, profitable growing company that instills employee confidence. Well-managed and diverse.

Cons

There are no real downsides to working here that I can think of, so I'm just typing twenty words in this box.

Advice to Management

Management seems to be doing an excellent job. They seem to have a great vision for the future of Land O Lakes, and it is exciting to be a part of that.

3. Growing company with big plans

Former Employee - Plant Manager
    Former Employee - Plant Manager

I worked at Land O'Lakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People at Land O' Lakes really care. The level of talent is top notch. Team is very change friendly. 75% of the senior managers will retire in the next five years.

Cons

Land O' Lakes is a big company and can be burdensome to move in a new direction quickly enough to capture the gains of new ideas. Senior Management is a bit aloof and disconnected from the factory floor.

Advice to Management

Management should seek new ways to engage the workforce. Surveys and the accompanying information are great but like all things should be taken in moderation.

5. Full experience

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Stong leaders at key positions, growing industry, the company also clearly values best talent at least in their internship programs and post graduate accelerated programs. Good company mission, produce more food to feed the world.

Cons

Stagnant pieces of the supply chain too segmented from corporate. Not enough communication down to the plant level and back. It also seemed like they cut the budget for the internship program a lot this year.

Advice to Management

My first internship with Land O'Lakes was actually last summer, I'm a returning intern this summer. One thing that is super important to me and I'm sure other interns is that the business leaders are in the room during our presentations. We really appreciate that and get to say "Wow I just presented in front of Beth Ford today" it really gives us a deep connection with the leadership of the company. You have great leaders, leverage them.

Great co-workers, ok leadership

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes (More than a year)

Pros

- great co-workers - Balanced approach to work - Interesting & challenging projects - Fair amount of autonomy

Cons

- commitment to developing internal talent appears to be all talk - Insular cultures in the divisions - advancement opportunities are narrowing, with recent external hires

Advice to Management

Recognize that when your talent is advancing and progressing, it's a reflection on your commitment to talent development.

7. Growing Agribusiness Cooperative

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Land O'Lakes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership, outstanding development programs, great opportunities. This is not just a butter company - the three divisions include Dairy Foods (Indian Maiden iconic logo), Purina Animal Nutrition (not cat & dog food, that's Nestle Purina - think livestock animals) and WinField (crop inputs). $15 Billion in annual revenues and on the Fortune 200.

Cons

Industry is low margin; capital in a cooperative is hard to attain. Cooperative structure has many bonuses and many drawbacks. These are industry and structure issues, not Land O'Lakes Inc. specific issues.

8. Distrbution

Current Employee - Disoatch in Hicksville, NY
    Current Employee - Disoatch in Hicksville, NY

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

Nice work environment , all working together.

Cons

Distribution moving to Baltimore,Md....unwilling to travel.

9. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Land O'Lakes

Pros

The benefits, vacation, and paid time off are excellent. There is no limit to the areas of growth. And with many location nation wide moving is encouraged if need be. The pay is Awesome

Cons

Most corporate opportunities are outside of Texas

10. HR Rep

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Eugene, OR

I worked at Land O'Lakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation and benefits were very competitive.

Cons

No real opportunity for growth

11. Management does not practice what they preach

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA

I worked at Land O'Lakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Majority of hourly employees are good individuals who are hard working. - There is a small number of supervisors and managers who are not concerned with the game of politics and are there to work and do their best for the business and employees. - Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

- Favoritism is an issue at the plant and accountability is lacking. Poor Managers are protected by HR. - Lack of integrity and honesty within certain ranks of management. HR is the greatest offender. - If you don't belong in the popular clique in management, don't expect your concerns to be taken seriously. - Low morale amongst junior levels of management. - Minimal work/life balance. - Feedback is top down. If you give feedback that challenges the status quo, it will not end well for you. - Lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

- Corporate needs to pay more attention to this plant. Retaining individuals because they make money for the business will continue working against the plant in terms of retaining top talent as well as creating a culture where individuals feel included and respected. - Management, especially senior management needs to practice what they preach.

RSS Feed </> Embed