Land O'Lakes

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chris Policinski

Pros
  • Great coworkers, excellent compensation and company benefits, decent work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great people work there and management is fine (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also Minnesota winters can be insufferable (in 3 reviews)

• Somewhat older way of doing things --- it is a cooperative (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Unbeatable culture, great ideals

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) Arden Hills, MN

Pros*My perspective is going to be a bit myopic because I couldn't possibly know the work environment across all departments, states, and among all 10,000 employees.

You can make a positive change working at HQ in Dairy Foods whether you are an experienced veteran or new in your career. Employees are valued and business is growing. Plus advancement opportunities are ahead with a retiring generation. You can be entrepreneurial with your talents. Land O'Lakes is a big company with lots of amenities.

ConsWith the flexibility and opportunities for defining yourself and your role comes a shortfall in structure that some might find unfavorable. Land O'Lakes is working on improving or creating new processes for distributing internal intelligence; for now it would be disastrous if certain jobs were suddenly vacated as no one would know how to fill in.

Also Minnesota winters can be insufferable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue to raise the bar on performance and continuous improvement, protect the culture here that makes us all enjoy doing what we do. Recognize when you are fighting against someone else's P&L to boost your own and think more holistically.

Good Pay

ProsGood Pay, Great Vacation Time

ConsLong Hours, Dusty and Dirty environment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and help make the job easier to do

ok Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosbenefits, relax atmosphere, stable company.

Consopportunities for advancement, minorities have very little opportunities ( look around and there is no minorities in a relevant role)

Advice to Senior Managementrecruit and retain minorities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No longer family friendly, it was when I started 10 years ago, and maybe some departments still are, but not mine.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arden Hills, MN

ProsRoom to learn and grow if your job is very important to you. If you are willing to put all your effort into your job you will go far.

ConsYour family does not come first. Outdated policies, just remodeled to 1970's open office format, excessive paperwork that no one reads, poor communication, hierarchical work place. The longer you have been there the closer you get to sit to a window. (and bigger desk).

Great place to work overall.

Accounting (Current Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsGreat benefits and many employee opportunities. Lots of focus on building yourself as an employee so you can follow your career goals and try to move up or around in the company.

ConsManagement doesn't seem to do much about those who refuse to do their job following processes and procedures.

Very good company with great values!

Engineer I (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery welcoming environment, treats employees well, feels like you're part of a community, good pay, opportunities for career growth.

ConsExperience can vary across facilities, some better managed than others, overall the culture of company is pretty constant though.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood from what I've seen.

Good company, friendly people

Middleware Administrator (Current Employee) Arden Hills, MN

ProsUnlike many IT organization, Land O'Lakes had a good history retaining its people. So, I didn't have any stress about lay off. Management and workload were OK. I felt appreciated for my contribution.
    People were very friendly.

ConsAs with many larger IT departments, there were enough confusion, inefficiency and delays in a project execution.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove project management by assigning one person with a strong authority to manage all aspects of a project.

Love this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work/family emphasis. Family comes first, freeing you up to take care of business without unnecessary stress. Creating a good diverse environment for all.

ConsSometimes emphasis on diversity causes "non-diverse" employees some roadblocks

Great Company with Great People and Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsAwesome PTO package, wonderful culture, work - life balance is excellent, company is still growing

ConsI would still work there if the hq and advancement opportunities were anywhere other than MN.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working at your best talent initiatives.

Not just butter

Pros"So, do you churn the butter?" This is one of the most frequently asked questions I get of people when the discover that I work at Land O'Lakes. If you like butter and/or you like to bake you are probably aware of the Land O'Lakes Brand. What you may not know is that the multi-billion dollar co-op is also a major player in agribusiness - everything from a seed and crop protection (e.g., herbicides, fungicides) retailer, butter and cheese manufacturer, and feed producer for everything from cows and pigs to just about anything you'd find in a zoo; increasingly the co-op is becoming a major player in the information science related to maximizing crop yields for the worlds growing population. In addition to these "for profit" ventures, the company has long been a player in humanitarian and agricultural development projects in developing economies around the world that are designed to teach small farmers and farmer groups how to improve their practices.

Ok so that's the commercial. I work in the IT organization so keep that in mind when you read this review.

At any given time there could be 20-30 IT projects in flight and a few more are added every two weeks. This means that IT is never boring. From a technology perspective we have moved from a technological dinosaur when I joined the company in 2008 to a company that has a good mix of cutting edge technologies, tried and true tech, and (of course) old stuff. The old stuff group keeps shrinking.

From a work-life perspective, the balance depends upon where you sit. Some groups continually have good balance while others operate in frequent peaks and valleys. Given the number of projects, the schedule will depend on where in the lifecycle your project is. What I can say is that invariably the parking lot is mostly empty by 5:30/6pm and so long as you plan appropriately you're not expected to keep an eye on your email when you're at home or on vacation. The first four years I worked here my computer rarely made it out of the backpack in the evenings or over the weekends. A recent job change put an end to that, but that's ok because I'm learning tons and having a good time.

From a people perspective, every organization has "characters" that are less fun to work with but on the whole I enjoy my colleagues.

Opportunities for career advancement vary. The finance organization is better at intentionally moving people around to increase their exposure to the business and grow skill sets. IT is moving in this direction, but there are opportunities to move - my last two positions are ones that I asked for before the opportunities existed. It also depends upon whether you plan on specializing or want to get a broad base of experience.

From a company roadmap perspective, food is a growth business - we've had record years throughout the recession; of course, some business units have done well and others not so well. Profits are heavily influenced by commodity prices but, given our results, we appear to have a reasonable handle on that. Profits are also impacted by the weather so global warming and general weather extremes can also have an impact - both short and long term.

ConsThere are two main gripes that I have: 1) given the number of projects there are never enough people to get all the work done. 2) Salaries could be higher. Another lesser gripe would be that aside from the corporate HQ in the Twin Cities, there really aren't any other major company locations where I'd want to live; luckily, 90% of IT is centralized.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin' on!

Worked for Land O'Lakes? Contribute to the Community!