LandAmerica Financial Group

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joff Mitchell

Fun place to work with great people

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsTeamwork with co workers was great

ConsPay was not what I asked for

Advice to Senior ManagementThey filed bankruptcy & closed down

It was a Train Wreck

Burbank, CA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of happy talk while they were in business. Nice employee benefits.

ConsThe top management at this company went on an acquisition binge during the real estate bubble and financed it through debt. They didn't understand many of the companies they were buying and were frustrated to find that they didn't operate as their core title business. They went bankrupt because they invested the escrow funds of 1031 real estate investors into incredibly risky auction rate securities and lost their money.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou were arrogant and incompetent. You lost a lot of innocent investor's and employees money. Shame on you.

Favorite Company to work for

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Glen Allen, VA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsOut of all the IT departments for small or large enterprises, LFG was my favorite. Serious, yet personable and fun.

ConsThey filed for Bankruptcy in a short amount of time without warning. Kind of wondered how no one saw it coming or if they did, tried to right the ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter Chapter 11 is completed, bring LFG back to life.

It was a nice place to work, but the company was not run well for a declining market.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsPlenty of room for advancement and they hired from within. Overall was a great place to work, until they filed bankruptcy and sold off to FNF.

ConsCompany was not ready for the decline of the real estate market - cost a lot of people their jobs. Senior management made poor decisions. Odd, everyone could see the end coming, except for the big wigs that steered the company in the wrong direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have made better decisions putting the company in a better position for when the market started to turn. Our 3 biggest competitors were able to stay afloat - no reason why we shouldn't have.

LandAmerica, a decent place to work

Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsGood place to work, training is adequate and the pay is about average. The atmosphere is casual, laid back, and mostly everyone is friendly.

ConsNot that it was totally their fault, but management could have been better prepared to deal with the economic crisis. It is surprising that such a large corporation could fall under hard times in the housing market; but again, not entirely their fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the communication between senior management and the employees needs improvement. It is important that they know who works for them, personally.

TOO MUCH TOO FAST

Clearwater, FL

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsImmediate supervisors are good people.

ConsSome members of senior management were openly hostile and insulting towards employees in public. They did not understand or appreciate the jobs done by everyday employees. Money was wasted on bad projects and inefficient new procedures that never have been attempted had they gotten the input of the employees who were responsible for actually doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are people, not servants.

OK place to work

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsGood benefits package compared to its competitors

ConsManagement was poorly prepared for the down turn in the real estate market

Advice to Senior ManagementNew clients/orders are not the only part of the business; you must also take care of problems such as claims are the level at which they are caused.

A company that should be number one... but is sliding down the ladder.

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

Prosa large company, which should be better able to weather the housing and mortgage crisis...

ConsManagement's lack of competency and creating issues that have lost significant business for the company. Although you're not always on top in your industry as a company, better business practices and promoting those that are worthy of promotions is a much better way of staying at the top of the list...

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure they would be capable of listening, that's why the company is where it is today, and not looking good for tomorrow...

If you have no other options, it's fine but it won't be a rewarding experience.

Senior IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsDecent benefits although I understand that has changed significantly since my departure. If you establish the right connections and stay on the party line, you can advance. There isn't much pressure to do things the right way and a complete lack of focus on continual improvement. So, if you just want to go to a job each day and bring home a paycheck, it's a good place to "hide."

ConsLots of politics, lack of direction and support from senior and executive management, incompetent technical leadership. They aren't really interested in ideas from employees. If you publicly stray from the party line, you will be isolated and eventually moved out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a strategy to implement your vision. There seems to be good conversations and a decent vision but a complete lack of a realistic implementation plan.

Not a bad place to work

Irvine, CA

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

ProsThe best reasons to work for LandAmerica are they are not too large of a company where politics and procedures constantly get in the way, but they are large enough to offer plenty of room for advancement. They are very willing to let you explore different career paths within the company. They are very open to ideas and will give you the resources necessary to pursue those ideas. They seem to be very flexible with time off for personal reasons and holidays. The benefits package is pretty good with a decent 401K and health insurance is top notch. All-in-all they are a good company to work for.

ConsNot really their fault, but because of the current housing market there have been a lot of layoffs. Although I have noticed they will try to move a good employee to another position if their current position has been eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot really think of anything I would suggest

Worked for LandAmerica Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LandAmerica Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LandAmerica Financial Group CEO Joff Mitchell. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by LandAmerica Financial Group employees.