LandAmerica Financial Group

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
2.9

Joff Mitchell

If you have no other options, it's fine but it won't be a rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

Decent benefits although I understand that has changed significantly since my departure. If you establish the right connections and stay on the party line, you can advance. There isn't much pressure to do things the right way and a complete lack of focus on continual improvement. So, if you just want to go to a job each day and bring home a paycheck, it's a good place to "hide."

Cons

Lots of politics, lack of direction and support from senior and executive management, incompetent technical leadership. They aren't really interested in ideas from employees. If you publicly stray from the party line, you will be isolated and eventually moved out.

Create a strategy to implement your vision. There seems to be good conversations and a decent vision but a complete lack of a realistic implementation plan.

Build Great Lives is the motto, but please live by it.

Former Employee - Business Process Implementer (Project Manager) in Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Business Process Implementer (Project Manager) in Covina, CA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

In the industry, they are probably the company that will lay you off last, meaning holding on to there staff longer.

Cons

Don't expect Tenure or Experience to be part of the decision when it is time to let people go. It seems like the corporate office picks names from a hat and that is who goes.

The work and dedication from the heart can come from the experienced and highest tenure employees. Even though these may be the higher paid, these are the ones willing to go out of their way to do the job. Think that employees that came from an acquired company, have their roots still with the company.

Beware of Landamerica

Former Employee - Escrow Branch Manager/ Senior Escrow Officer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Escrow Branch Manager/ Senior Escrow Officer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

This company offers a great benefits package and lots of choices for health insurance providers. They offer a great 401k matching if you have been there for the required amount of time.

Cons

Typical large corporate environment. You are just looked at as a number, limited advancement opportunities, quick to lay off workers if the company's stock isn't performing. More concerned about profits than employee loyalty

Get rid of Richard Niefe and the escrow management in San Diego. He makes promises and doesn't deliver. Doesn't give a rats a@@ about their employees.

LandAmerica is in trouble

Current Employee - Research Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

LandAmerica has been very understanding when giving me the time off I have requested.

Cons

Wages for employees have been frozen, yet management has voted 2 million dollar bonuses for some of the top people. I have been with this company for almost several years and I have yet to see even a christmas card much less a bonus. We are being given ideas to cut expenses shuch as turn off the lights in the office and use the lights from the windows, while our bosses are flying to vegas for conferences and golf. The reasons for promotions have more to do with who is your buddy than how much you work or know.

Communications are key, while you talk about communications being important you fail to follow through.

ok experience

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

Great HR deparment that are always available. Great at communicating information to their employees. Opportunity to learn more by providing learning resources.

Cons

Pay is not great and the cost of health insurance seems high. The raises are very low to non-existent.

Better response to the needs of employees concerns. Improvement of pay and better opportunity to advance within the company.

Decent Companyu

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

First job out of college so cant complain too much. Worked like a dog but was paid hourly so got time and a half for overtime. Of which there was a lot of.

Cons

Overworked but management seemed to genuinely care how you were doing.

N/A

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Title Searcher
    Former Employee - Title Searcher

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

Interesting work. Ability to move around to different areas.

Cons

Incredibly volatile. Goes up and down with the real estate market.

Overall a positive experience working there.

RIP

Former Employee - Escrow Officer
    Former Employee - Escrow Officer

I worked at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

I found it was a good place to work...sorry to see it end. The industry had been on hard times but LA did many things wrong.

Cons

$$$$$$$$$$$ wasn't competitve. Average at best, especially for dedicated achievers. Our managemnet was nice and good people to work with bu Senior management hadn't a clue about day to day.

better luck next time, listen to your staff, don't waste money during hard times.

Nice people - but it's amateur hour when it comes to managing and accomplishing things.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at LandAmerica Financial Group

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Very, very nice people - easy to get along with. Entrepreurial spirit. Get it done - find a solution mentality.

Cons

Low pay. Unfocused senior management - they don't do a great job of explaining where the ship is going or how it's going to get there. Entrepreneurial spirit sometimes translates into lack of organization and communication.
    Things could be more professional in how they are managed. Basically it's amateur hour. Promises and deadlines are not kept and then there are no consequences from senior managers.
    The more senior managers have a bit of a SUPERMAN mentality. They have to be present for all decisions and they have to be the ones that make it.
    Bottomline - it's amateur hour. Sometimes it feels like they are just managing by whim and playing at business.

Pick a strategy and stay with it. Stop making things a highest priority one quarter then abandoning it the next.

Become more professional. Enforce some management discipline. Business is too dificult to just make things up as you go along.