Landesa

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Hanstad

The work is so vital and important, I want it to succeed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing mission and very passionate, intelligent colleagues. Heart is in the right place, however....

ConsThe funding agency drove the agenda and timeline faster than we could make it happen and things should have happened. Over reliance on one agency is very dangerous in terms of culture, workload, probabilty of funding, etc. There was a very unhealthy culture when I started aimed at senior leadership, but quickly moved into senior leadership. Work life balance is nuts because of the global nature of the business - have to address that or everyone becomes less effective and slightly crazy as insomniacs.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of people are faith based, a lot of people are secular humanists, they are all valuable and extremely talented. Don't let the work or the culture get hijacked by a few extreme faith based people that control access to the CEO. It causes division and isn't productive or necessary and frankly hurts morale and is a giant waste of time. This is an incredible cause and a good organization and it needs to survive beyond a few people's personal beliefs.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Organization has a good mission, but is not a healthy, functional work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLandesa has a unique mission and a majority of its staff are clearly dedicated to accomplishing that mission. Its salaries and benefits are above average for a nonprofit organization in Seattle. The CEO seems to be a genuinely nice, intelligent guy.

ConsDuring my brief time at Landesa, there was an extraordinary amount of staff turnover, particularly at the executive level. The organization's leadership attributes the turnover to "growing pains," but I'm convinced there must be some other cause beneath the surface. In all my years of working for nonprofit organizations, I've never encountered as much dysfunction as I experienced at Landesa and I've never been so happy to leave a job. In a few years, it might be a better place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your systems (IT, database, etc.). Empower staff to make decisions or clarify who has the authority to make decisions rather than making every decision as a group. Hire an external consultant to diagnose why turnover has been so consistently high for so long.

Hard to really break into the substantive work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsInteresting innovative work. Positive people.

ConsThey don't seem to promote within, or really invest in RAs.
    Everyone is overloaded with work

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your own people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful mission, dysfunctional work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff at Landesa are some of the greatest people I have ever worked with--smart, skilled, and solution-oriented. The mission itself and the work of Landesa over more than four decades is what draws people in, and having the award-winning founder Roy Prosterman in the office is an incredible bonus. Landesa's track record of success is impressive and people are proud to be affiliated with the organization because of this. The specific niche of land rights is appealing to many who are drawn to international development but struggle with the vagueness of "global health" or "empowering women and girls."

ConsFor much of Landesa's history (almost 40 years), it was quite small and had a very close-knit and inclusive culture with a flat organizational structure. In recent years, Landesa had a leadership transition from its founder to his protege and the organization grew very large very quickly. In the rush for growth, there was little time to invest in infrastructure or sort out whether job descriptions made sense or were redundant. This led to confusion at best, and employees finding their jobs were not at all what they were promised at worst. Many of Landesa's existing staff were pushed out or demoted into the far corners of the office to make room for new employees with impressive pedigrees. Because of this rapid growth, turnover has been high, and the culture at Landesa has changed dramatically for the worse. The hierarchy and bureaucracy can be maddening. During my last year at Landesa, I regularly had employees in tears in my office threatening to quit on a weekly basis.

The most frequent complaint at Landesa is that leadership does not invest in its employees. People come to Landesa with incredibly rich backgrounds and skill sets and are asked to file papers and proofread. If they are given substantial work, they almost never receive the credit.

Leadership and staff have become increasingly faith-based, which has also shifted the culture.

Just because the organization has a great mission, do not assume that all employees are there for the mission. Some are ruthless in climbing to the top, and this behavior is rewarded so long as it gets results.

It's a challenging environment to work in. I didn't realize how dysfunctional it was until I left and saw how easy it was to work elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees.
    Provide some avenue for employees to have their voices heard. Having an HR director is not enough if they are not trusted.
    Devote some energy and thought to the culture. Landesa was once thriving and it can be again.

Worked for Landesa? Contribute to the Community!