Landmark Theatres
www.landmarktheatres.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Landmark Theatres Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Landmark Theatres – Indianapolis – “The Saddest Place In the World”

Ted Mundorff

Floor Staff

Washington, DC

ProsI work at E-Street in DC. Managers were great. Free movie tickets and popcorn. Usually busy enough to make the shift go by pretty quickly but there was also time to mess around with colleagues.

ConsTicket taking shifts are intolerable. Pay was just ok. Promotions rarely came in house. Hours aren't great.

Loved working here

Box Office (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat work environment, free movies

ConsLow pay, some employees stole from store

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen new employees better

The Most Depressing Theatre

Indianapolis, IN

ProsThis theatre company provides free films, that's a selling point of theirs when hiring, and it's fantastic. It's also a great job if you're a huge film lover, because you're going to run into some very passionate moviegoers. That's pretty much it, for cons.

ConsThe particular theatre I worked at was absolutely filthy. The second I began working there, I cleaned things that hadn't been cleaned in years, and probably won't be cleaned again. The management and coworkers took themselves way too seriously, don't know how to maintain appropriate fun and professionalism, and know very little about the films this theatre plays (or films at all, I was shocked), and this is not an exaggeration. Not to mention, this theatre is not afraid to cut nearly 75% of your hours short when business gets slow--and it gets very, very slow, while they also over-staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually consider that your employees--who actually are out on the floor getting the direct reactions and comments from customers--may know what they're talking about when it comes to concerns about the specific theatre's choices. Better yet, listening to the customers--especially people who know a lot about films--is a good idea, too. Please put the money your theatre receives towards sensible things, like properly getting the inappropriate stains out of your seats. Lastly, the head manager of this particular theatre was absolutely rude to every single complaining customer he came in contact with, most of the time for no reason. People complained about him everyday, but he's close friends with the owner of the theatre, so nothing gets done.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy Job

San Diego, CA

Pros-Easy job
    -Free movies
    -Free popcorn and soda

Cons-No benefits
    -Hours can vary depending on the location

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice.

Great first job experience

Server (Current Employee)
    Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

ProsMy coworkers are amazing. They're very flexible with my student schedule. Because you make a good hourly wage, you don't have to depend on your tips. They have an open door policy, which means they hire anyone with a good application and interview. They also promote from within: all managers, bartenders, and projectionists were former floorstaff.

ConsThe open door policy can hurt the existing employees. My hours were cut, and I don't make many tips anymore because we have so many servers per shift. The management is fairly corrupt at the location I work at. For example, we had a sexual harassment case, involving myself, that the managers just "forgot" to send to HR three times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee has a complaint, I think it's worth listening to. It might be a small thing, but you should make yourself available so employees feel comfortable talking to you.

Great Perks for a movie Buff

Usher (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsAccess to amazing films
    heatlh and dental if you work enough hours
    somewhat flexible
    able to move from location to location

ConsNot a lot of room for promotion at the location I'm currently at,

Flexible, easy going job for student

Floor Staff (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsUnlimited free movies for you and your friends at the landmark and the regal nearby.
    Work isn't too tough, its a movie theater...
    There is room for promotion if you plan to stay there.
    Pretty decent pay and flexible schedule.

ConsA lot of downtime sometimes. Cleaning at night. Busy nights can be stressful. Sometimes costumers complain about the stupidest things. There is a lot of paper work during training and they give you quizzes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes they just sit around and do nothing.

Fun but not Affordable

Philadelphia, PA

ProsThese theaters are small, and only show more independent films. This creates a slightly more intellectual environment than one would expect for an hourly movie theater job. It also creates an environment where you have plenty of time to bond with the rest of your team. Management can't help but be involved in the floor processes so the expectations on employees are very reasonable. Half of the managers that were there when I left had been trained as floor staff even if they had been hired as managers, the other half had been floor staff that got promoted. Every theater is very friendly, and the management is devoted as much to their teams as they are the functioning of their location. The managers I worked with were all expertly adroit at dealing with abusive customers and not allowing their employees to be taken advantage of. There is a lot of downtime between duties, making this a great place for students with heavy course loads.

ConsDue to the nature of the business, the hours can be a bit rough. The company that owns the theater is very distant and has very little on the ground knowledge of the theater, and its location. This sometimes creates a situation where there are orders from the tip top that make very little sense in practical application. The pay is also somewhat low. Again, this is part of the nature of the business, since the theaters can't really afford to start people on much more, especially since turnover tends to be a bit high as people finish their educations and go on to their careers. The only other cons would be the customers. Not all of them, but at least half of them. Because these theaters are in a very well-off section of town, a good proportion of the clientele assume that the employees are idiots. I have never been abused so badly by customers that thought that their money should be able to let them bypass company policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe location managers: Keep doing what you are doing. You guys have managed a great balance between doing what corporate expects and supporting your people, which made this one of the best jobs I've ever had.
    To the larger company: Less micromanaging of the locations. I realize profit is your goal, but since you are not there to truly assess locations in the long term, maybe your profit decisions should be based on feedback from the folks that are actually there, on the ground.

A great part time job

Concession (Former Employee)
    Waltham, MA

ProsFun, diverse, and interesting coworkers
    Solid management
    Downtime in between sets
    Very flexible schedule that is easy to fit around school or a second job
    Fairly laid-back atmosphere
    Free movies, popcorn, soda
    Many employees stay with the company for years

ConsYou have to work weekends, which can be a con for some people
    Getting grief from customers for the prices of things
    Rushes can be stressful for some people
    There aren't enough hours to go around for a full time position
    Compensation is low, but if you love movies, seeing them for free can make up for it

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of updating the procedures and movies to mimic chain theaters, you should focus more on updating the building and equipment. The theater used to show a lot of great movies, but has been showing more commercial ones lately. I liked the independent feeling the theatre had when I first began working there, and think you should keep it that way.

Relies on Taking Advantage of Their Theater Managers

Lead Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLittle to no overtime
    Chance for advancement if you work hard

ConsLow pay compared to competitors
    Not all managers are eligible for benefits
    Poor Management Training
    Unrealistic Staffing Goals
    Regional and Operations Managers take advantage of theater management.
    They cut the budget for each theater so much to where the salaried managers are doing more and more work that should be performed by floor staff. Customer service, theater cleanliness, maintenance, and floor staff satisfaction suffer because theaters are stretched too thin. This may not be the case in all Landmark locations but it was the case at my location.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow theaters to staff appropriately all days of the week. Do not take advantage of salaried employees. Trust your management when they communicate issues with the current budget goals. Train your management more thoroughly in customer complaint resolution and human resources.

Worked for Landmark Theatres? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Landmark Theatres reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Landmark Theatres CEO Ted Mundorff. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Landmark Theatres employees.