Landor

Landor Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Not yet rated.

Lois Jacobs

Pros:
  • "Many top clients around the world"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great clients, good work/life balance, good people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Leadership team here is unstable"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Spends too much on senior management and not enough on middle management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, challenged leadership team

ProsGreat people, interesting work. Landor has a unique culture and a global presence

ConsLeadership team here is unstable. The NYC office tends to coast on the Landor brand name and its quality of work is most likely declining over time

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more development from within

This review is based on my last year of employment in 2002

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGifted designers, awesome portfolio, solid project management team, company culture, benefits were amazing, TGIF's, etc.

ConsIt's disheartening to see the downward spiral of this company that was near and dear to my heart. I'm still in touch with people who I worked with until now. The dot.com boom was kind to us, we celebrated our work and our teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink back to the magic years. They will always be remembered.

Amazing talent all around, bad management

Client Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people make the place. The brand attracts brilliant talent and produce award winning work. Great client opportunities. You get to work on the biggest brands.

ConsDoes not nurture talent. People don't get promoted. No mobility up or sideways.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR doesn't really do much for the employees. Need to keep your talent happy or they will eventually jump ship.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time For A SERIOUS Wake-Up Call!

Cincinnati, OH

ProsOnce Upon A Time ... it was the people, the talent, the creative energy. Can't say any of that exists anymore. It's a mass exodus (voluntary & involuntary).

ConsComplete lack of trust in Senior Mgmt to have any true business sense or forward-thinking, strategic ability to manage the business. So addicted to P&G that they can't think outside the box. They lost the only Business Development Director who could bring in non-P&G work, and they didn't even blink. Once a great culture thriving under the reputation of Walter Landor is now a shell of the company he inspired. Oh, and they could care less about their employees ... easily found (not any more) and easily discarded (more common lately)

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to look at replacing the 'leaders' in the organization who are bringing it down. Laying off junior/senior level staff may save you a few pennies when the financials are bad, but you've done yourself more harm than good. Those were the folks who actually performed & did the actual work (vs. those with offices who do NOTHING).

I worked at Landor.

New York, NY

ProsLandor looks good on your resume. Initially I worked on a variety of projects, which kept the work interesting, but then it went downhill. I liked many of the people I got to know there. Some people really want to do great work.

ConsOwned by WPP which mostly calls the shots on money flow. Feels like WPP is using Landor's good name but doesn't care if it runs the company into the ground. Sufficient resources are often not available. Very weak in the digital realm.

There was no sense of order or priorities. No job training. Totally sink or swim. Seemed like there was always a fire to put out.

Budgets were made artificially low to win accounts. Accordingly many projects went over budget. Needed resources were often out of budget and people without expertise in a certain areas were often tapped to fill in.

Little or no raises. Hard work is not rewarded and seemingly unnoticed. Emphasis is on getting the job out the door.

Tendency to get most new hires from interns. The best few are offered full time jobs. Many of these stay for 3 years or less and then move on to something that pays better and/or offers more interesting work. Failure to reward talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip. Actually be involved with the work rather than just talking about it.

the early years were inspiring, but the last 4 years have been lifeless.

New York, NY

Prosthe co workers are talented and some are hardworking

Consmanagement can't manage, no raises, employees leave.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice. they didn't listen when they were warned why should i think that they would listen now.

Don't go

Client Services (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFriendly, laid-back, great location. Many of the people are very friendly and knowledgeable, but sadly there's also a lot of deadweight. Brand heritage.

ConsFavoritism, lack of adaptability to internet age and modern trends, no opportunity for advancement, horrible training, old-fashioned clients, pay, not busy

Strategy Company With Few Strategists

Designer (Current Employee)

ProsThe lack of true leadership allows you to take on just about anything though the con to that is the lack of leadership to guide you in whatever you take on.
    Opportunity to travel. Have traveled to some great cities I probably would not have on my own dime.
    Flexibility of schedule.
    Office provides a lot of meals for employees.
    Decent benefits.

ConsThe lack of true strategists has caused the burden of that skill set to be added to the plate of us designers. A client service person doesn't just transform into a strategist, they first have to have the knack for it and then someone has to teach them and finding a teacher is tough. If the designers also are tasked with developing the strategy then the work will suffer because of overtasking designers. The office plays favorites and what you work on is rarely determined by skill set because there are some talented people not getting opportunities. A company whose reputation was once around strategy is regularly losing work to companies that would not have had a prayer of winning against Landor in the past. From what I've heard about the days of Walter Landor, this company is 180 degrees from there at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts one thing to associate yourself with Walter Landor and another to actually live up to him. I suspect that if Walter Landor was alive today the group of offices wouldn't have the feel of despising each other and that falls solely onto what the leadership has or has not developed. From my exposure the leadership is dreadfully lacking personalities, people who are truly inspiring and know how to lead the charge.

Not recommended

Client Services (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsNice parties & talented designers

ConsToo much gossip and back stabbing in Client Services (especially Sr. Management)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promote squeaky wheels. Try to keep people happy before they quit.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart and mostly friendly people that were easy to work.

ConsSome were not that easy to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accountable and encouraging, and delegate instead of micromanage.

Worked for Landor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Landor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Landor CEO Lois Jacobs . All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Landor employees.