Landor

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014
2.4

Lois Jacobs

Pros
  • Creative and talented employees (in 5 reviews)

• Great clients, good work/life balance, good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Wall Street should be asking if it are getting its money's worth with the current leadership team in place (in 7 reviews)

• Spends too much on senior management and not enough on middle management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Landor

Pros

Really enjoy working in a team setting

Cons

I don't like how they are owned by WPP, they drag out employment changes.

Get out while you still can.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Landor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People. You meet some really great people at Landor. I consider more than a few my family at this point.

The Landor name will get you out to where you need to be in life. Living wage, respect, trust in your work, etc. Too bad Landor has no clue how to harness it. They get the talent, but can't keep it. But even that is fading now. When you're unable to even keep prospective interns from laughing in your face at the pay offering, it might be time to hang up your hat.

Cons

Oh god. Management. Please someone hire a single qualified soul. Please someone help management learn how to do what we do, not just talk about it in vague buzzwordy generalities. Please stop the p3nis measuring with the Silicon Valley clients. We're not big data. We don't even have a research department anymore. You let them all walk away, remember?

Management: if you already know everything about branding, the creative process and how to execute it, why have employees? Get rid of the deadweight. Run the show yourselves.

Stop asking for our help if you're just going to 11th hour sh1t on it after not being involved with the client for 12 weeks.

Think. Just think to yourselves. Is it....maybe....as crazy as you may think it is....REMOTELY possible that the employees also care about the client, the work and their reputation? You ask us, "if Walter were alive today, would he have hired you?"

Look at your P&Ls. Look at the voluntary exodus in SF, Cinci and NY.

Management: If Walter were alive today, he would have not only not hired you, he would have shot you.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Landor

Pros

Great, fun, talented people makes it a place nice place to go to in the morning.

Cons

Management, doesn't real listen to it's employees. There have been some major changes there in recent years. No Raises...many people are leaving because of it.

They should go back to how it used to be.

Mismanaged into irrelevancy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Landor

Pros

Hard-working, talent but under-appreciated rank and file employees who try to succeed in spite of complete lack of vision at top levels.

Cons

Senior management is one of the worst in the business. The executive level is incompetent, arrogant and disconnected.

Wall Street should be asking if it are getting its money's worth with the current leadership team in place.

Quit and let someone who is competent do your job for you.

Great people, challenged leadership team

I have been working at Landor

Pros

Great people, interesting work. Landor has a unique culture and a global presence

Cons

Leadership team here is unstable. The NYC office tends to coast on the Landor brand name and its quality of work is most likely declining over time

Encourage more development from within

This review is based on my last year of employment in 2002

I worked at Landor full-time

Pros

Gifted designers, awesome portfolio, solid project management team, company culture, benefits were amazing, TGIF's, etc.

Cons

It's disheartening to see the downward spiral of this company that was near and dear to my heart. I'm still in touch with people who I worked with until now. The dot.com boom was kind to us, we celebrated our work and our teamwork.

Think back to the magic years. They will always be remembered.

Amazing talent all around, bad management

Former Employee - Client Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Landor full-time

Pros

The people make the place. The brand attracts brilliant talent and produce award winning work. Great client opportunities. You get to work on the biggest brands.

Cons

Does not nurture talent. People don't get promoted. No mobility up or sideways.

HR doesn't really do much for the employees. Need to keep your talent happy or they will eventually jump ship.

Time For A SERIOUS Wake-Up Call!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Landor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once Upon A Time ... it was the people, the talent, the creative energy. Can't say any of that exists anymore. It's a mass exodus (voluntary & involuntary).

Cons

Complete lack of trust in Senior Mgmt to have any true business sense or forward-thinking, strategic ability to manage the business. So addicted to P&G that they can't think outside the box. They lost the only Business Development Director who could bring in non-P&G work, and they didn't even blink. Once a great culture thriving under the reputation of Walter Landor is now a shell of the company he inspired. Oh, and they could care less about their employees ... easily found (not any more) and easily discarded (more common lately)

Time to look at replacing the 'leaders' in the organization who are bringing it down. Laying off junior/senior level staff may save you a few pennies when the financials are bad, but you've done yourself more harm than good. Those were the folks who actually performed & did the actual work (vs. those with offices who do NOTHING).

I worked at Landor.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Landor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Landor looks good on your resume. Initially I worked on a variety of projects, which kept the work interesting, but then it went downhill. I liked many of the people I got to know there. Some people really want to do great work.

Cons

Owned by WPP which mostly calls the shots on money flow. Feels like WPP is using Landor's good name but doesn't care if it runs the company into the ground. Sufficient resources are often not available. Very weak in the digital realm.

There was no sense of order or priorities. No job training. Totally sink or swim. Seemed like there was always a fire to put out.

Budgets were made artificially low to win accounts. Accordingly many projects went over budget. Needed resources were often out of budget and people without expertise in a certain areas were often tapped to fill in.

Little or no raises. Hard work is not rewarded and seemingly unnoticed. Emphasis is on getting the job out the door.

Tendency to get most new hires from interns. The best few are offered full time jobs. Many of these stay for 3 years or less and then move on to something that pays better and/or offers more interesting work. Failure to reward talent.

Get a grip. Actually be involved with the work rather than just talking about it.

Strategy Company With Few Strategists

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Landor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The lack of true leadership allows you to take on just about anything though the con to that is the lack of leadership to guide you in whatever you take on.
    Opportunity to travel. Have traveled to some great cities I probably would not have on my own dime.
    Flexibility of schedule.
    Office provides a lot of meals for employees.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

The lack of true strategists has caused the burden of that skill set to be added to the plate of us designers. A client service person doesn't just transform into a strategist, they first have to have the knack for it and then someone has to teach them and finding a teacher is tough. If the designers also are tasked with developing the strategy then the work will suffer because of overtasking designers. The office plays favorites and what you work on is rarely determined by skill set because there are some talented people not getting opportunities. A company whose reputation was once around strategy is regularly losing work to companies that would not have had a prayer of winning against Landor in the past. From what I've heard about the days of Walter Landor, this company is 180 degrees from there at this time.

Its one thing to associate yourself with Walter Landor and another to actually live up to him. I suspect that if Walter Landor was alive today the group of offices wouldn't have the feel of despising each other and that falls solely onto what the leadership has or has not developed. From my exposure the leadership is dreadfully lacking personalities, people who are truly inspiring and know how to lead the charge.