Landry's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta

Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training(in 5 reviews)

• Great location and also discounts on food(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors(in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life(in 4 reviews)

Clueless on hospitality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy co-workers and lower level management definitely understood we would get cursed out and fired on the spot if we asked any questions, so we looked out for each other.

You receive a discount for food but if you're working you have to eat it on property (even if you are swamped all night), otherwise it will be deemed as stealing.

ConsThe CEO is completely clueless of how to run a hotel. This is not a CEO that values anything or anyone, except himself. Ownership expects every employee do assume responsibilities for every and all aspects of the business.

For example, if you are a drink server at the pool, you serve drinks to your guests at the pool area. However, you may be asked by ownership or other department managers why there is a line at the front desk (reception) or why the air conditioning is not working in the casino. Why would this be a server's responsibility? I suppose it's saves the CEO money to have the employees so freaked out they want to police everyone else.

Everyone has a job at this company and that job is to inform on co-workers. Plan to be ridiculed and questioned daily as if you are a thief while working for this owner.

For example, If you are seen drinking a (canned) soda in the back, you may be asked to furnish a receipt of where it was purchased. If you bring in a sandwich from home, you may be asked where you got it from.

I've seen co-workers fired after working a 10-hour shift, paid cash for food to-go from the kitchen and took it home. They were fired, with management claiming it's "stealing" because they used their employee discount but didn't eat the food AT work.

The boilers are constantly out because the GMs are forbidden from spending any money on the facilities.

If you work at the hotel, the in-room dining carts are so dated (1970's) many of the wheels or parts of the tray don't roll properly. You just have to push through it like the football players hitting the sled in practice. Again, ownership is too cheap to invest any money on the facilities.

Working at this company, you will not have a specific "area" for which you are responsible. For example, if you are a bartender at the pool bar you may be written up for not noticing trash at the back parking lot on your way out to your personal car to go home.

When the CEO is in town everyone is on edge because he may just walk up and curse you out if he feels you're talking to a co-worker and he doesn't like it-- or he may even fire you if he sees a fingerprint smudge on the stainless steel or God help you if there is a trash can that EVS (environmental services) didn't collect yet. Trash is very important, here.

You will have a responsibility for all public areas, all customers, facility waste management, facility engineering management and any other possible needs of the company regardless of your department, position, area, or normal duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings. Tearing everyone down and beating the morale out of every person that works for you is not good business.

Landry's owns well-run corporate restaurants, but has room to improve.

Server, Trainer (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsLandry's is a large enough company to allocate financial and human resources where needed and where deserved. The GROWTH program for managers ensures a standard of professionalism and accountability. Individual stores maintain systems-based daily operations and statistics-driven employee value assessment, taking the human subjectivity out of decision making. Landry's has efficient labor management and schedule flexibility. Performance expectations for servers and managers are higher than in other restaurant groups.

ConsBeing such a large company, Landry's can be alienating to entry-level workers. Turn-over in non-managerial positions is high, and hiring needs sometimes outweigh the need for experienced and qualified candidates. As with most successful companies, the bottom line trumps most other concerns. Changes are implemented slowly.

Accounting Assistant

Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat place to work. A ot of employee perks working for the company.

Conspay and benefits is more for entry level. Good for someone who is starting out, but low for professional level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not ruin your resume by working for this company.

Operations (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNone. Well, If I have to write something, I guess my co-workers were cool. I mean we were all miserable together.

ConsEverything! Constant nagging from Regionals. Having yourjob threatened if you don't sell their stupid Landry Select Club memberships for $25 a piece. Zero benefits from the program. Had to run the floor with no host or busser on a daily basis due to corporate greed. Having to pay to be on the company discount program...lame! No personal life at all. Expected to be at work 14 hours a day and when you are off, your cell is constantly ringing. I could go on for days about how horrible this company is. Glad I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees.

it has been rewarding

Prosrewarding experience for future employees

Consfavoritism is definitely a main factor

Cheap and disgusting.

Captain, Assistant Food and Beverage, Server, Bartender (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere aren't any pros to working for Fertitti.

ConsYou name it. Benefits, pay, and general treatment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and stop trying to push data capture materials and membership cards on people dining at a $100+ per person establishment. Most importantly, don't schedule people 2-3 on-call shifts a week. If you get busy, deal with it. You cannot monopolize a person's entire week, cut their benefits, treat them like dirt and expect to keep quality people around.

7 year employee

ProsThe money is really good. Landry's has some unique concepts and they are always busy.

ConsThe company views employees as a necessary evil. I witnessed good people get fired for small things. At Landry's you are more than a number. You are an inconvenience to overworked angry management staffs. This company is all about the bottom line, and the bottom line is cut labor as much as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees.

Unfortunate

Management (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is certainly growing with new positions opening up all the time. There is opportunity to grow with the company if that is interesting to you.

ConsIts such a typical example of a large corporation who treats their employees poorly, offering minimum benefits and very little consideration for employees on all levels.

Too Corporate to be Hospitality

Server (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Opportunity for growth within the company due to its large corporate structure - Fun work environment with flexible hours - Over 400 locations to work across the U.S., making it a convenient place to work from any location

ConsPerhaps the biggest, con about employment at Landry's is that their corporate structure often puts the company before the guests' experience which could ultimately lead to problems with certain facets of their business in the future. At most locations, Landry's hospitality programs have the feel of systematically reproduced experiences, often with little attention or care to the individual needs of each guest. Similarly, there is little consideration to the needs of their employees and very little incentive to work hard for the company as a whole. The work environment is highly competitive between individual branches and locations, often with little regard to helping each other towards a common goal and thus helping the whole company.

There is opportunity to grow within the company through the ranks of management, however those opportunities often seem distant. Furthermore, management often appears to be dissatisfied with their compensation versus their work hours. While the opportunity for growth does exist, it hardly seems worth the extra effort only to be dissatisfied with more responsibility for less pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the most basic level, treat your guests like individuals and care for them accordingly rather than robotically and systematically. Pay your employees more. They will work harder for you if they feel like their job is important and worth their time.

Glad I left.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCo-workers were great to work with.

ConsUpper management was terrible. Racist. Sexist.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. But you won't so. Nevermind.

Worked for Landry's? Contribute to the Community!