Landry's

Updated December 10, 2014
2.1

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • There are systems in place how to handle different situations (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sever

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL

I worked at Landry's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -Bosses were great
    -Hours were good

Cons

-Had to pay for your employee discount
    -if you opted out of the employee discount then you could only drink water
    -Big emphasis on selling landrys cards that the customer isnt always interested in. Especially if they only come to the happy hour.

Awful company

Current Employee - Server Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Landry's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large company, lots of establishments throughout the countryif you want to move to a different state.

Cons

Low pay, bad management, unpleasant working conditions.

Great people working there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company and great benefits

Cons

There were no cons for me when working there.

None

If it sounds too good to be true.. It usually is!

Current Employee - Safari Guide
    Current Employee - Safari Guide

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some excellent people.
    As a server was able to make good money.
    Benefits are great- you can have 50% off of the over-priced menu if you pay $10 every two weeks.. Oh and 30% off of our retail items.

Cons

Management's only focus is labor % and beating last years sales. employees are forced to focus on so many sales contests that it is impossible to provide good customer service.
    Management's philosophy is "assume the sale" which means adding on items to meals, when guests order drinks we must ring in tall and add souvenir glass to their bill.
    Management gets constantly beaten down by corporate- who is so out of touch with reality and has no clue how to actually run a restaurant that they think its ok to constantly beat down their subordinates.
    This capitalistic corporation only cares about growing and purchasing every chain they can get their hands on, no regard to current employees.
    Employee turnover rates are through the roof because management has no clue how to speak to employees or how to treat them. public humiliation is not the way to motivate employees.

Discipline in private, reward in public.
    I have also read reviews suggesting CBS bring undercover boss in to one of the concepts- excellent idea.

The definition of micromanaging

Former Employee - Manager in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Galveston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interacting with guests and being a part of the company's foreign exchange student program during spring/summer months.

Cons

Managing with fear and intimidation is a turn off, let us do our job as managers. I can literally count on one hand the number of times upper management would say something positive towards us. There were numerous times where our management team would be belittled and yelled at in front of hourly associates for minor issues.

Let management staff know when there doing a good job, don't just expect it.

General Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Landry's

Pros

Decent Salary & fair bonus, Good Systems, well funded

Cons

despite being top producer for company for years, operations managers are always a whipping horse with no voice (you are just a number)

Hire better, expect more, listen to your operators.

former Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great systems in place, great resources and marketing. Awesome training system and great managerial teamwork

Cons

sometimes corporate mentality can bog down creativity

stay on the floor

Crappy pay....good discount, kinda

Former Employee - Accountant Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some of the people are good. half price stakes are great. corporate perks and happenings are good. This company is growing very fast. discounts on hotels. activities in the corporate building are fun. catered food every day.

Cons

very poor management. people keep quitting! pay is not that great. they don't offer raises when you earn a promotion. the whole company has a problem with communication. Benefits are very expensive.

clean house.

Poor, inconsistent direction given from top down. Strategies changed every 3 months which confused junior managers, etc.

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was above average. Unfortunately, that was the only positive. Too many 6 day weeks. Worked probably 12-15 more days a year and these days were never made up. I can count on my right hand how many times I was thanked for working extra. Junior managers were working 12-14 hours consistently and although the General Manager would work a long day here or there, this person would leave often after 6-8 hours on a mandatory 10 hour day. This person would also come to work dressed unprofessionally, but get all dressed up once she knew a corporate visit was about to occur.

Cons

They lied above any semblance of quality of life. The General Manager wrote their own schedule and junior managers worked 12-14 hour days sometimes 6 days a week and days off were never made up. A holiday off is out of the question. Unless you worked at a tourist location, you never were considered for promotion.

Stop playing favorites. Speak to your junior managers to get the real story. Do not rely on General Managers who would throw their junior managers under a bus to save their jobs. If it wasn't for the pay, I would have left much earlier than I did.

Not good

Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do try to keep the culture alive in some ways... they also don't care about your teamwork if you do a good job... I prefer teamwork environments... sorry not much positive here.

Cons

but they are more concerned with the bottom line than offering quality product. These ideas are not even close to the way I feel but I must continue on working for them.