Landry's Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.2

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • There are systems in place how to handle different situations (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

General Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Landry's

Pros

Decent Salary & fair bonus, Good Systems, well funded

Cons

despite being top producer for company for years, operations managers are always a whipping horse with no voice (you are just a number)

Hire better, expect more, listen to your operators.

former Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great systems in place, great resources and marketing. Awesome training system and great managerial teamwork

Cons

sometimes corporate mentality can bog down creativity

stay on the floor

Crappy pay....good discount, kinda

Former Employee - Accountant Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some of the people are good. half price stakes are great. corporate perks and happenings are good. This company is growing very fast. discounts on hotels. activities in the corporate building are fun. catered food every day.

Cons

very poor management. people keep quitting! pay is not that great. they don't offer raises when you earn a promotion. the whole company has a problem with communication. Benefits are very expensive.

clean house.

Poor, inconsistent direction given from top down. Strategies changed every 3 months which confused junior managers, etc.

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was above average. Unfortunately, that was the only positive. Too many 6 day weeks. Worked probably 12-15 more days a year and these days were never made up. I can count on my right hand how many times I was thanked for working extra. Junior managers were working 12-14 hours consistently and although the General Manager would work a long day here or there, this person would leave often after 6-8 hours on a mandatory 10 hour day. This person would also come to work dressed unprofessionally, but get all dressed up once she knew a corporate visit was about to occur.

Cons

They lied above any semblance of quality of life. The General Manager wrote their own schedule and junior managers worked 12-14 hour days sometimes 6 days a week and days off were never made up. A holiday off is out of the question. Unless you worked at a tourist location, you never were considered for promotion.

Stop playing favorites. Speak to your junior managers to get the real story. Do not rely on General Managers who would throw their junior managers under a bus to save their jobs. If it wasn't for the pay, I would have left much earlier than I did.

Not good

Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do try to keep the culture alive in some ways... they also don't care about your teamwork if you do a good job... I prefer teamwork environments... sorry not much positive here.

Cons

but they are more concerned with the bottom line than offering quality product. These ideas are not even close to the way I feel but I must continue on working for them.

asst. man

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lot of benefits for management. structure for success is from corporate and works. Just follow the lead from the top and you will meet your goals.

Cons

Not much wiggle room. Need to do uncomfortable things at times when dealing with employees.Can't do favors for some without thinking about what others will expect from you.

compassion for customer line employees, have a heart.

A very one-sided work relationship

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are hard working and friendly

Cons

Many questionable, possibly illegal practices with regard to pay.

Find ways to give back and show appreciation for employees.

Look Before You Leap

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have an extensive background in Hospitality Sales on the Hotel side. The restaurant side does not have the cash flow to support a reasonable and trusting environment to succeed . The salary is on the high side if you work for
    the Morton's chain all other chain pay a hourly rate plus commissions. You work alone. Weekly meetings with GM.
    As long as you pass the secret shop reports you can come in under budget for months before they crack down on you.

Cons

There are so many cons I would not no where to start. They hire well qualified sales people but do not really trust
    them to do the job. Who is the boss. One really never knew. The company has grown so large they have lost track
    of how to judge employees value., There are no employee reviews only secret shop reports which act as reviews.
     Constant threats by corporate Sales leaders , creating fear as a way to get the job done.

Relax and begin to make the adjustment to employee based business by acknowledging and trusting the hiring
    process. Make it a safe and secure environment. Do away with secret shop and institute a actual customer
    based review by sending out critiques on their actual sales and dining experience.

great place to work for, good management, excellent work atmosphere, great pay and wonderful progression. i recommend it

Current Employee - General Manager in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Galveston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time

Pros

promotion, pay, co-workers, atmosphere, work-life balance, atmosphere, package, overall, nice place to grow and learn professionally, everything was great

Cons

nothing, no cons to list everything was great

none, no advice to management-- very helpful and good.

Experience Great - But the mgt will make your life a living hell

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to get a well rounded restaurant "education"and growth potential.
    Excellent to learn how to work and cope with difficult, selfish, extremely abusive and insensitive people. I bit my tounge so much, i litterally bit a side of it off!

Cons

No employee appreciation at any level, no bonuses, very little pay for the work expected along with the hours. Sexually discriminating and abusive and publicly demeaning in front of guests. Good ol' boys club.

Appreciate your employees! They are the front line of your business and a direct reflection of your name. Did it ever occur to actually read the things people are saying about your companies? There is a REASON your company has one of the lowest ratings on glass door and more and more people are leaving never to return. GET A CLUE!
    In reality, however, all of this is futile. I worked there for many years and things never changed. It actually got worse. I would hope that one day you will actually care about your employees and your guest again. Quit hiring and promoting people that stroke your ego and assume no responsibility for any of their idiotic decisions. The ones that point the finger at everyone else and have an ego the size of Texas. They can NEVER do anything wrong and are so valuable that GOD himself specifically chose them to hang the moon ever night.
    Your employees will perform and up-sell more if they are happy. Your turn around will be next to nothing, and your customer base will grow due to the fact they always know that jenny or john will always be there to take care of them .Hire/promote the ones that actually love what they do. You know who they are. They are the ones people constantly approach you about saying how much they appreciated what he/she did for them, the server that gets a great letter time and time again, the cook that takes a split second more ensuring the plate is as much aesthetically pleasing as it is on your pallet, or the busser that lines up the plates and forks perfectly every time, and the host/hostess always smiling and genuinely giving each and every guest a warm and affectionate welcome. Management you've just been schooled in gratitude 101. Did you pass or fail? Only time will tel!!