Landry's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta

Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros:
  • "Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There are systems in place how to handle different situations"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management enjoys sending emails that are insulting and demeaning"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Horrible management- they never communicate with one another so policies are different between each one"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Average experience

Server (Former Employee)

ProsBecause I worked up front I had cash in my pocket daily

ConsVery hard to move around in the company EVEN though there is a lot of turnover???

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management needs to catch up to the 22nd Century :)

Detail oriented. No quality of life.

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Kemah, TX

ProsGood Pay. Opportunity for advancement. I learned more about business, financials and PnL analysis than I did in 3 years of college. Leader of the restaurant industry. If you buy in and are willing to learn it will discipline you to be a very detail oriented manager.

ConsNo work life balance or quality of life. The insurance is down right disrespectful. A slap in the face. The company has a very aggressive and intense style of management. That combined with a detail oriented mind set can create a negative work environment. It's not uncommon to get yell at or cussed out for having a light bulb burnt out in your restaurant. 50 hour work week minimum. Usually 60. Not uncommon to work 70. Generally, I don't think employees and managers feel very valued. Money is the only language these guys speak.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people with more than just money. Treat people with respect and dignity. Respect people's family and quality of life. Mr. Fertitta needs to step up and get his managers a decent insurance premium that doesn't completely break the bank.

Assistant General Manager

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsFun family restaurant, fun environment and could be great

ConsBullies in upper management, micro management from above, intimidation leadership, vacation days are not to be used, 12 hour day standard, bonus is little and rarely given. Beware of this employer, looks like fun but it's run like a mob.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A waste of time!!

Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-No deferred maintenance!!
    -They build your resume since you have to have your hands in multiple departments!!
    -You can order as many office supplies from staples as you need!!

Cons-Upper management is more concerned about making money so they have bigger bonuses. They will do whatever necessary to ensure this occurs!
    -Upper management doesn't listen to your concerns. Instead, they state that you're a negative thinker!
    -Upper management claims they want to change, but when you offer them options to change, they tell you that it'll never work and focus on the status quo!
    -Upper management puts negative pressure on the good workers and provides excuses to why the bad workers should be forgiven for their horrible work ethic!!
    -Good luck getting the actual supplies that you need to do your job!! If it costs more than a couple dollars, you aren't getting it!
    -Can't hold on to management or hourly staff because of the horrible working conditions!
    -Work/Life balance....what's that?!
    -The employee break room is under a condemned building!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with CBS and do an episode of Undercover Boss! This way you can see how hard your employees work! Think about the people working for you! You are a representation of your team. If you have core management leaving every month, then don't assume they are the problem! Listen to your management! If they have an issue, help solve it! This new generation wants a good work/life balance! Working them 80 hours a week isn't going to keep them!

Was excited, then I started!

Houston, TX

ProsIt is a great atmosphere! There is an in house cafeteria and a small gym.

ConsTraining is sub-par, have to be a pro at the "fake it til you make it" lifestyle. Pay is not competitive and there is minimal chance at an increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want more efficient staff, train them. If you want less turn over and more loyalty, pay them!

Micro-managed every step of the way

ProsIf you want to work for the biggest, baddest, most corporately controlled employer in the country...this is the company for you.

ConsThe expectation is to work 10-11 hours EVERY day. There aren't enough managers to support time off for vacations or family matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus structure for floor managers is a joke. Entirely too much paperwork is required. Nearly impossible to manage the restaurant from the office.

Good.

Server/Bartender (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsShort shifts and nice management.

ConsNot enough business walking through the doors.

Great Service company

Waiter (Current Employee)
    Katy, TX

ProsWorking at one of the Restaurants, Babin's, has given me the opportunity to improve upon my overall serving skills and allowed me to develop communication and sales skills. I feel that what I have learned at my establishment shall assist me in my degree of Supply Chain Management.

ConsSometimes the management culture isn't reflective of the vision of the General Manager. Sometimes it's difficult to implement lean six sigma recommendations at the actual restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe able to get everyone on the same page and through more team based Management activities in order to promote harmony among the team.

Landry's owns well-run corporate restaurants, but has room to improve.

Server, Trainer (Current Employee)
    Anaheim, CA

ProsLandry's is a large enough company to allocate financial and human resources where needed and where deserved. The GROWTH program for managers ensures a standard of professionalism and accountability. Individual stores maintain systems-based daily operations and statistics-driven employee value assessment, taking the human subjectivity out of decision making. Landry's has efficient labor management and schedule flexibility. Performance expectations for servers and managers are higher than in other restaurant groups.

ConsBeing such a large company, Landry's can be alienating to entry-level workers. Turn-over in non-managerial positions is high, and hiring needs sometimes outweigh the need for experienced and qualified candidates. As with most successful companies, the bottom line trumps most other concerns. Changes are implemented slowly.

Clueless on hospitality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy co-workers and lower level management definitely understood we would get cursed out and fired on the spot if we asked any questions, so we looked out for each other.

You receive a discount for food but if you're working you have to eat it on property (even if you are swamped all night), otherwise it will be deemed as stealing.

ConsThe CEO is completely clueless of how to run a hotel. This is not a CEO that values anything or anyone, except himself. Ownership expects every employee do assume responsibilities for every and all aspects of the business.

For example, if you are a drink server at the pool, you serve drinks to your guests at the pool area. However, you may be asked by ownership or other department managers why there is a line at the front desk (reception) or why the air conditioning is not working in the casino. Why would this be a server's responsibility? I suppose it's saves the CEO money to have the employees so freaked out they want to police everyone else.

Everyone has a job at this company and that job is to inform on co-workers. Plan to be ridiculed and questioned daily as if you are a thief while working for this owner.

For example, If you are seen drinking a (canned) soda in the back, you may be asked to furnish a receipt of where it was purchased. If you bring in a sandwich from home, you may be asked where you got it from.

I've seen co-workers fired after working a 10-hour shift, paid cash for food to-go from the kitchen and took it home. They were fired, with management claiming it's "stealing" because they used their employee discount but didn't eat the food AT work.

The boilers are constantly out because the GMs are forbidden from spending any money on the facilities.

If you work at the hotel, the in-room dining carts are so dated (1970's) many of the wheels or parts of the tray don't roll properly. You just have to push through it like the football players hitting the sled in practice. Again, ownership is too cheap to invest any money on the facilities.

Working at this company, you will not have a specific "area" for which you are responsible. For example, if you are a bartender at the pool bar you may be written up for not noticing trash at the back parking lot on your way out to your personal car to go home.

When the CEO is in town everyone is on edge because he may just walk up and curse you out if he feels you're talking to a co-worker and he doesn't like it-- or he may even fire you if he sees a fingerprint smudge on the stainless steel or God help you if there is a trash can that EVS (environmental services) didn't collect yet. Trash is very important, here.

You will have a responsibility for all public areas, all customers, facility waste management, facility engineering management and any other possible needs of the company regardless of your department, position, area, or normal duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings. Tearing everyone down and beating the morale out of every person that works for you is not good business.

Worked for Landry's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Landry's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Landry's CEO Tilman J. Fertitta. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Landry's employees.