Landry's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta

Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training(in 5 reviews)

• There are systems in place how to handle different situations(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management enjoys sending emails that are insulting and demeaning(in 9 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life(in 4 reviews)

Average experience

Server (Former Employee)

ProsBecause I worked up front I had cash in my pocket daily

ConsVery hard to move around in the company EVEN though there is a lot of turnover???

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management needs to catch up to the 22nd Century :)

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDiscounts on food and variety of concepts

Consjust about everything else, way too much turnover

Advice to Senior Managementneeds a different structure

ATROCIOUS! CHEATED ME OUT OF $$$ RUN FROM ANY OFFERS

Sales & Marketing Manager (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsPros? I cannot think of one!

ConsI worked as a Sales & Marketing Manager for Morton's in King of Prussia. My training was set up on the fly, with someone who have never trained before, and was thrown into it. I cannot fault my trainer because they only put me there to save the expense of sending me to a "training location" at which I would incur travel expenses. The GM of my location had NO concept of how to motivate people which I thought was a trait of his, only to find out the corporate culture is one that has ZERO concern for its employees. Note to management: if you don't care about your employees and in turn they are not hospitable or have concern for your guests...THESE TWO THINGS ARE DIRECTLY RELATED!!! DUH!! I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors...NO IMPROVEMENTS! Not even a glimmer of hope that issues I addressed would ever be resolved.

The management mantra, of King of Prussia and the company overall seems to be: MANAGE BY WHO YOU CAN THROW UNDER THE BUS. There is ZERO accountability!! I found out from many long term employees, that when Landry's acquired Morton's they did so only to buy the company cheap, cut all corners, and only care about money. They do so with upper management that tries to squeeze blood from a stone rather than having any care or concern for employees who are directly responsible and capable of producing profits.

NOTE TO ANY CURRENT EMPLOYEES/MANAGERS: DO NOT GIVE TWO WEEKS NOTICE WHEN RESIGNING!! YOU WILL BE CHEATED!!! Most everyone knows that the proper/appropriate thing to do is resign professionally by providing two weeks notice. I did and got SCREWED. I found a job in my field (pharma) and after I felt there was no resolution to the issues I brought to upper management, chose to resign, and did so in writing, by a professional letter with concise information: I did not burn bridges or "put them on blast". In my position I had a very paltry salary and earned commission on business I booked. I explained I was not going to a competing business or company and asked to work at least the following week out of commitment to my clients. I booked and managed Private Dining Events and sold the largest event the restaurant had all year: at the slowest period of the year, a great win. The day after RESIGNING (I make this point, because I was not fired, they had no cause against me) I was walked to the door by the GM like I was a criminal. I was told I would only be paid for that day (not buying me out for the 2 week notice I gave!) and I was told I would not be receiving the commission for the event TWO DAYS LATER that was worth about $500!!! THIS COMPANY AND MANAGEMENT ARE AWFUL!!

Advice to Senior Management* If you are going to be so stingy and cheap and only care about bottom line revenue, show concern for your employees & managers by creating an environment where employees are valued and appreciated

* Do not be reactionary: the only time any upper management jumps in or pays attention is when issues arrive. Proactive management will ELIMINATE DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEES

* Here is a concept NOBODY in the company understands: HAPPY EMPLOYEES DO BETTER WORK AND CREATE BETTER EXPERIENCES FOR CUSTOMERS WHICH RELATES TO BETTER PROFITS!!

* When paying reimbursable expenses, do so at AT LEAST the IRS standard. When I received my expense reimbursement it did not even cover my gas expenses!!

* YOUR HEALTH BENEFITS SUCK!!!

* PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR HOLIDAYS!! Yep, no paid holidays. And I am talking about the big ones, federal holidays like July 4th, Christmas, etc. In any other company you either get paid for the holiday or receive a holiday pay rate...not at Morton's/Landry's. NOTHING!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant General Manager

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFun family restaurant, fun environment and could be great

ConsBullies in upper management, micro management from above, intimidation leadership, vacation days are not to be used, 12 hour day standard, bonus is little and rarely given. Beware of this employer, looks like fun but it's run like a mob.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Detail oriented. No quality of life.

General Manager (Former Employee) Kemah, TX

ProsGood Pay. Opportunity for advancement. I learned more about business, financials and PnL analysis than I did in 3 years of college. Leader of the restaurant industry. If you buy in and are willing to learn it will discipline you to be a very detail oriented manager.

ConsNo work life balance or quality of life. The insurance is down right disrespectful. A slap in the face. The company has a very aggressive and intense style of management. That combined with a detail oriented mind set can create a negative work environment. It's not uncommon to get yell at or cussed out for having a light bulb burnt out in your restaurant. 50 hour work week minimum. Usually 60. Not uncommon to work 70. Generally, I don't think employees and managers feel very valued. Money is the only language these guys speak.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people with more than just money. Treat people with respect and dignity. Respect people's family and quality of life. Mr. Fertitta needs to step up and get his managers a decent insurance premium that doesn't completely break the bank.

A waste of time!!

Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-No deferred maintenance!!
    -They build your resume since you have to have your hands in multiple departments!!
    -You can order as many office supplies from staples as you need!!

Cons-Upper management is more concerned about making money so they have bigger bonuses. They will do whatever necessary to ensure this occurs!
    -Upper management doesn't listen to your concerns. Instead, they state that you're a negative thinker!
    -Upper management claims they want to change, but when you offer them options to change, they tell you that it'll never work and focus on the status quo!
    -Upper management puts negative pressure on the good workers and provides excuses to why the bad workers should be forgiven for their horrible work ethic!!
    -Good luck getting the actual supplies that you need to do your job!! If it costs more than a couple dollars, you aren't getting it!
    -Can't hold on to management or hourly staff because of the horrible working conditions!
    -Work/Life balance....what's that?!
    -The employee break room is under a condemned building!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with CBS and do an episode of Undercover Boss! This way you can see how hard your employees work! Think about the people working for you! You are a representation of your team. If you have core management leaving every month, then don't assume they are the problem! Listen to your management! If they have an issue, help solve it! This new generation wants a good work/life balance! Working them 80 hours a week isn't going to keep them!

Was excited, then I started!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is a great atmosphere! There is an in house cafeteria and a small gym.

ConsTraining is sub-par, have to be a pro at the "fake it til you make it" lifestyle. Pay is not competitive and there is minimal chance at an increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want more efficient staff, train them. If you want less turn over and more loyalty, pay them!

Good.

Server/Bartender (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsShort shifts and nice management.

ConsNot enough business walking through the doors.

Micro-managed every step of the way

ProsIf you want to work for the biggest, baddest, most corporately controlled employer in the country...this is the company for you.

ConsThe expectation is to work 10-11 hours EVERY day. There aren't enough managers to support time off for vacations or family matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus structure for floor managers is a joke. Entirely too much paperwork is required. Nearly impossible to manage the restaurant from the office.

Great Service company

Waiter (Current Employee) Katy, TX

ProsWorking at one of the Restaurants, Babin's, has given me the opportunity to improve upon my overall serving skills and allowed me to develop communication and sales skills. I feel that what I have learned at my establishment shall assist me in my degree of Supply Chain Management.

ConsSometimes the management culture isn't reflective of the vision of the General Manager. Sometimes it's difficult to implement lean six sigma recommendations at the actual restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe able to get everyone on the same page and through more team based Management activities in order to promote harmony among the team.

Worked for Landry's? Contribute to the Community!