Landry's Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
2.2

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training (in 5 reviews)

• Great location and also discounts on food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Boston, MA

I have been working at Landry's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Short shifts and nice management.

Cons

Not enough business walking through the doors.

Micro-managed every step of the way

I have been working at Landry's

Pros

If you want to work for the biggest, baddest, most corporately controlled employer in the country...this is the company for you.

Cons

The expectation is to work 10-11 hours EVERY day. There aren't enough managers to support time off for vacations or family matters.

Bonus structure for floor managers is a joke. Entirely too much paperwork is required. Nearly impossible to manage the restaurant from the office.

Great Service company

Current Employee - Waiter  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Waiter in Katy, TX

I have been working at Landry's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at one of the Restaurants, Babin's, has given me the opportunity to improve upon my overall serving skills and allowed me to develop communication and sales skills. I feel that what I have learned at my establishment shall assist me in my degree of Supply Chain Management.

Cons

Sometimes the management culture isn't reflective of the vision of the General Manager. Sometimes it's difficult to implement lean six sigma recommendations at the actual restaurant.

Be able to get everyone on the same page and through more team based Management activities in order to promote harmony among the team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Landry's owns well-run corporate restaurants, but has room to improve.

Current Employee - Server, Trainer  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Server, Trainer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Landry's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Landry's is a large enough company to allocate financial and human resources where needed and where deserved. The GROWTH program for managers ensures a standard of professionalism and accountability. Individual stores maintain systems-based daily operations and statistics-driven employee value assessment, taking the human subjectivity out of decision making. Landry's has efficient labor management and schedule flexibility. Performance expectations for servers and managers are higher than in other restaurant groups.

Cons

Being such a large company, Landry's can be alienating to entry-level workers. Turn-over in non-managerial positions is high, and hiring needs sometimes outweigh the need for experienced and qualified candidates. As with most successful companies, the bottom line trumps most other concerns. Changes are implemented slowly.

Clueless on hospitality

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers and lower level management definitely understood we would get cursed out and fired on the spot if we asked any questions, so we looked out for each other.

You receive a discount for food but if you're working you have to eat it on property (even if you are swamped all night), otherwise it will be deemed as stealing.

Cons

The CEO is completely clueless of how to run a hotel. This is not a CEO that values anything or anyone, except himself. Ownership expects every employee do assume responsibilities for every and all aspects of the business.

For example, if you are a drink server at the pool, you serve drinks to your guests at the pool area. However, you may be asked by ownership or other department managers why there is a line at the front desk (reception) or why the air conditioning is not working in the casino. Why would this be a server's responsibility? I suppose it's saves the CEO money to have the employees so freaked out they want to police everyone else.

Everyone has a job at this company and that job is to inform on co-workers. Plan to be ridiculed and questioned daily as if you are a thief while working for this owner.

For example, If you are seen drinking a (canned) soda in the back, you may be asked to furnish a receipt of where it was purchased. If you bring in a sandwich from home, you may be asked where you got it from.

I've seen co-workers fired after working a 10-hour shift, paid cash for food to-go from the kitchen and took it home. They were fired, with management claiming it's "stealing" because they used their employee discount but didn't eat the food AT work.

The boilers are constantly out because the GMs are forbidden from spending any money on the facilities.

If you work at the hotel, the in-room dining carts are so dated (1970's) many of the wheels or parts of the tray don't roll properly. You just have to push through it like the football players hitting the sled in practice. Again, ownership is too cheap to invest any money on the facilities.

Working at this company, you will not have a specific "area" for which you are responsible. For example, if you are a bartender at the pool bar you may be written up for not noticing trash at the back parking lot on your way out to your personal car to go home.

When the CEO is in town everyone is on edge because he may just walk up and curse you out if he feels you're talking to a co-worker and he doesn't like it-- or he may even fire you if he sees a fingerprint smudge on the stainless steel or God help you if there is a trash can that EVS (environmental services) didn't collect yet. Trash is very important, here.

You will have a responsibility for all public areas, all customers, facility waste management, facility engineering management and any other possible needs of the company regardless of your department, position, area, or normal duties.

Treat your employees like human beings. Tearing everyone down and beating the morale out of every person that works for you is not good business.

Accounting Assistant

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. A ot of employee perks working for the company.

Cons

pay and benefits is more for entry level. Good for someone who is starting out, but low for professional level.

Do not ruin your resume by working for this company.

Former Employee - Operations  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Well, If I have to write something, I guess my co-workers were cool. I mean we were all miserable together.

Cons

Everything! Constant nagging from Regionals. Having yourjob threatened if you don't sell their stupid Landry Select Club memberships for $25 a piece. Zero benefits from the program. Had to run the floor with no host or busser on a daily basis due to corporate greed. Having to pay to be on the company discount program...lame! No personal life at all. Expected to be at work 14 hours a day and when you are off, your cell is constantly ringing. I could go on for days about how horrible this company is. Glad I left.

Respect your employees.

it has been rewarding

I have been working at Landry's

Pros

rewarding experience for future employees

Cons

favoritism is definitely a main factor

Cheap and disgusting.

Former Employee - Captain, Assistant Food and Beverage, Server, Bartender  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Captain, Assistant Food and Beverage, Server, Bartender in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There aren't any pros to working for Fertitti.

Cons

You name it. Benefits, pay, and general treatment.

Treat your employees better and stop trying to push data capture materials and membership cards on people dining at a $100+ per person establishment. Most importantly, don't schedule people 2-3 on-call shifts a week. If you get busy, deal with it. You cannot monopolize a person's entire week, cut their benefits, treat them like dirt and expect to keep quality people around.

7 year employee

I have been working at Landry's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The money is really good. Landry's has some unique concepts and they are always busy.

Cons

The company views employees as a necessary evil. I witnessed good people get fired for small things. At Landry's you are more than a number. You are an inconvenience to overworked angry management staffs. This company is all about the bottom line, and the bottom line is cut labor as much as possible.

Care more about your employees.

Worked for Landry's? Contribute to the Community!