Landry's

Updated December 10, 2014
2.1

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • There are systems in place how to handle different situations (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, good entry level restaurant job extensive training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance or quality of life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

asst. man

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lot of benefits for management. structure for success is from corporate and works. Just follow the lead from the top and you will meet your goals.

Cons

Not much wiggle room. Need to do uncomfortable things at times when dealing with employees.Can't do favors for some without thinking about what others will expect from you.

compassion for customer line employees, have a heart.

A very one-sided work relationship

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are hard working and friendly

Cons

Many questionable, possibly illegal practices with regard to pay.

Find ways to give back and show appreciation for employees.

Look Before You Leap

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have an extensive background in Hospitality Sales on the Hotel side. The restaurant side does not have the cash flow to support a reasonable and trusting environment to succeed . The salary is on the high side if you work for
    the Morton's chain all other chain pay a hourly rate plus commissions. You work alone. Weekly meetings with GM.
    As long as you pass the secret shop reports you can come in under budget for months before they crack down on you.

Cons

There are so many cons I would not no where to start. They hire well qualified sales people but do not really trust
    them to do the job. Who is the boss. One really never knew. The company has grown so large they have lost track
    of how to judge employees value., There are no employee reviews only secret shop reports which act as reviews.
     Constant threats by corporate Sales leaders , creating fear as a way to get the job done.

Relax and begin to make the adjustment to employee based business by acknowledging and trusting the hiring
    process. Make it a safe and secure environment. Do away with secret shop and institute a actual customer
    based review by sending out critiques on their actual sales and dining experience.

great place to work for, good management, excellent work atmosphere, great pay and wonderful progression. i recommend it

Current Employee - General Manager in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Galveston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time

Pros

promotion, pay, co-workers, atmosphere, work-life balance, atmosphere, package, overall, nice place to grow and learn professionally, everything was great

Cons

nothing, no cons to list everything was great

none, no advice to management-- very helpful and good.

Experience Great - But the mgt will make your life a living hell

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to get a well rounded restaurant "education"and growth potential.
    Excellent to learn how to work and cope with difficult, selfish, extremely abusive and insensitive people. I bit my tounge so much, i litterally bit a side of it off!

Cons

No employee appreciation at any level, no bonuses, very little pay for the work expected along with the hours. Sexually discriminating and abusive and publicly demeaning in front of guests. Good ol' boys club.

Appreciate your employees! They are the front line of your business and a direct reflection of your name. Did it ever occur to actually read the things people are saying about your companies? There is a REASON your company has one of the lowest ratings on glass door and more and more people are leaving never to return. GET A CLUE!
    In reality, however, all of this is futile. I worked there for many years and things never changed. It actually got worse. I would hope that one day you will actually care about your employees and your guest again. Quit hiring and promoting people that stroke your ego and assume no responsibility for any of their idiotic decisions. The ones that point the finger at everyone else and have an ego the size of Texas. They can NEVER do anything wrong and are so valuable that GOD himself specifically chose them to hang the moon ever night.
    Your employees will perform and up-sell more if they are happy. Your turn around will be next to nothing, and your customer base will grow due to the fact they always know that jenny or john will always be there to take care of them .Hire/promote the ones that actually love what they do. You know who they are. They are the ones people constantly approach you about saying how much they appreciated what he/she did for them, the server that gets a great letter time and time again, the cook that takes a split second more ensuring the plate is as much aesthetically pleasing as it is on your pallet, or the busser that lines up the plates and forks perfectly every time, and the host/hostess always smiling and genuinely giving each and every guest a warm and affectionate welcome. Management you've just been schooled in gratitude 101. Did you pass or fail? Only time will tel!!

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on food and variety of concepts

Cons

just about everything else, way too much turnover

needs a different structure

Average experience

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Landry's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because I worked up front I had cash in my pocket daily

Cons

Very hard to move around in the company EVEN though there is a lot of turnover???

Executive Management needs to catch up to the 22nd Century :)

ATROCIOUS! CHEATED ME OUT OF $$$ RUN FROM ANY OFFERS

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Landry's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros? I cannot think of one!

Cons

I worked as a Sales & Marketing Manager for Morton's in King of Prussia. My training was set up on the fly, with someone who have never trained before, and was thrown into it. I cannot fault my trainer because they only put me there to save the expense of sending me to a "training location" at which I would incur travel expenses. The GM of my location had NO concept of how to motivate people which I thought was a trait of his, only to find out the corporate culture is one that has ZERO concern for its employees. Note to management: if you don't care about your employees and in turn they are not hospitable or have concern for your guests...THESE TWO THINGS ARE DIRECTLY RELATED!!! DUH!! I reported issues with my GM to upper management who seemed to take action but these this was all smoke & mirrors...NO IMPROVEMENTS! Not even a glimmer of hope that issues I addressed would ever be resolved.

The management mantra, of King of Prussia and the company overall seems to be: MANAGE BY WHO YOU CAN THROW UNDER THE BUS. There is ZERO accountability!! I found out from many long term employees, that when Landry's acquired Morton's they did so only to buy the company cheap, cut all corners, and only care about money. They do so with upper management that tries to squeeze blood from a stone rather than having any care or concern for employees who are directly responsible and capable of producing profits.

NOTE TO ANY CURRENT EMPLOYEES/MANAGERS: DO NOT GIVE TWO WEEKS NOTICE WHEN RESIGNING!! YOU WILL BE CHEATED!!! Most everyone knows that the proper/appropriate thing to do is resign professionally by providing two weeks notice. I did and got SCREWED. I found a job in my field (pharma) and after I felt there was no resolution to the issues I brought to upper management, chose to resign, and did so in writing, by a professional letter with concise information: I did not burn bridges or "put them on blast". In my position I had a very paltry salary and earned commission on business I booked. I explained I was not going to a competing business or company and asked to work at least the following week out of commitment to my clients. I booked and managed Private Dining Events and sold the largest event the restaurant had all year: at the slowest period of the year, a great win. The day after RESIGNING (I make this point, because I was not fired, they had no cause against me) I was walked to the door by the GM like I was a criminal. I was told I would only be paid for that day (not buying me out for the 2 week notice I gave!) and I was told I would not be receiving the commission for the event TWO DAYS LATER that was worth about $500!!! THIS COMPANY AND MANAGEMENT ARE AWFUL!!

* If you are going to be so stingy and cheap and only care about bottom line revenue, show concern for your employees & managers by creating an environment where employees are valued and appreciated

* Do not be reactionary: the only time any upper management jumps in or pays attention is when issues arrive. Proactive management will ELIMINATE DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEES

* Here is a concept NOBODY in the company understands: HAPPY EMPLOYEES DO BETTER WORK AND CREATE BETTER EXPERIENCES FOR CUSTOMERS WHICH RELATES TO BETTER PROFITS!!

* When paying reimbursable expenses, do so at AT LEAST the IRS standard. When I received my expense reimbursement it did not even cover my gas expenses!!

* YOUR HEALTH BENEFITS SUCK!!!

* PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR HOLIDAYS!! Yep, no paid holidays. And I am talking about the big ones, federal holidays like July 4th, Christmas, etc. In any other company you either get paid for the holiday or receive a holiday pay rate...not at Morton's/Landry's. NOTHING!!!

Assistant General Manager

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Landry's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun family restaurant, fun environment and could be great

Cons

Bullies in upper management, micro management from above, intimidation leadership, vacation days are not to be used, 12 hour day standard, bonus is little and rarely given. Beware of this employer, looks like fun but it's run like a mob.

None

Detail oriented. No quality of life.

Former Employee - General Manager in Kemah, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Kemah, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay. Opportunity for advancement. I learned more about business, financials and PnL analysis than I did in 3 years of college. Leader of the restaurant industry. If you buy in and are willing to learn it will discipline you to be a very detail oriented manager.

Cons

No work life balance or quality of life. The insurance is down right disrespectful. A slap in the face. The company has a very aggressive and intense style of management. That combined with a detail oriented mind set can create a negative work environment. It's not uncommon to get yell at or cussed out for having a light bulb burnt out in your restaurant. 50 hour work week minimum. Usually 60. Not uncommon to work 70. Generally, I don't think employees and managers feel very valued. Money is the only language these guys speak.

Take care of your people with more than just money. Treat people with respect and dignity. Respect people's family and quality of life. Mr. Fertitta needs to step up and get his managers a decent insurance premium that doesn't completely break the bank.