Lands' End
www.landsend.com Dodgeville, WI 5000+ Employees

Lands' End Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Lands' End – Dodgeville – “Lands”

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber

Edgar Huber

Pros:
  • "Full health facility, good work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The fitness center is great, but you only get a chance to use it in the morning or evening"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Owned by Sears, no raises when Lands' End is making a profit, not able to expand and grow the talent"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lack of communication within organization"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Brilliant opportunities for motivated team players.

Manager (Current Employee)
Madison, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFantastic potential with the looming Sears spin-off. LE will get to practice self governance once again, set realistic goals and be more agile. Also top notch health club, generous compensation package and focus on quality of life make this a great company.

ConsBeing under Sears yoke has hampered our growth and has been detrimental to our brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake full advantage of the spin off! But go about it in a judicious fashion. Focus on the customer, focus on the employee.

Sears impact, employee turnover, and poor decision making being felt across the board

I have been working at Lands' End full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWhat was great is no longer; Customer Service is still king but unfortunately everything that stood behind it has been minimized greatly

ConsInvestment in people and technology are dismal, a direct impact of Sears (see Eddie Lampert). Culture is at rock bottom and nothing is being done to address it. Hiring and Promoting the wrong people. HR in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people who make a difference. Nothing is more disheartening and demoralizing to an organization than to see a clearly unfit leader appointed. Running LE like Sears is clearly a huge mistake. We don't need politicians, we need leaders.

Family-oriented company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lands' End full-time

ProsAre supportive of family and plan fun family activities for employees

ConsBurn out a lot of good people. So busy putting out fires there is little time to improve the process and streamline things. Always playing catch-up. They have also taken many of the employee perks away over the last couple of years.

Generic retail job

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros20 percent discount on clothes.

ConsIt's in Sears. The company could do better on its own.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers an living wage and get out of Sears ASAP. It's hurting the brand.

Great learning experience in a fast paced environment.

Orderfilling (Former Employee)

I worked at Lands' End part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSupervisors are great and friendly. Second shift was a great opportunity to make some extra money during the holidays and flexibility in scheduling made it easy to balance work and family time.

ConsThe tasks required become monotonous after the first hour or two of the shift. Typically assigned one task for the whole shift and it either requires standing in place for several hours or running around for several hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSecond shift is not needed for peak season with the current economy. Look into viable alternatives for replacing second shift by giving the full-time employees the opportunity to earn overtime one or two days a week to keep up with demand.

Having success at a successful company is the best reward.

Photo Studio (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lands' End as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsThe people, the experiences available and the product.

ConsThe location can be a problem for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize the consumer and the experience.

Customer Sales...

Customer Sales (Former Employee)
Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to work from home, employee discount, ability for wage increase (between start and leave(2 years) I increased about $2 an hour)

ConsYou are a number at LE, never met a single member of high management in 2+ years, when you worked from home, you might work... you might not. I'd get scheduled anywhere from 4-20 hours and I had to pick up about 20 hours... and be within 15 minutes of home during those 20 hours. And I MIGHT get paid for those.... and I might not. all depended on if they called for home agents or not. Not a joyous experience.

Overall, good place to work

Internet Merchandiser (Former Employee)

I worked at Lands' End full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat perks and facility use.

ConsNo downsides at this time.

Miserable

Analytics (Former Employee)

I worked at Lands' End part-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to move within the company is present.

ConsDuring first two years of my employment, I witnessed the last little bit of the "Gary Comer" philosophy being drained out of what was once a top notch company. Sound business practices, accountability, fairness, and professionalism were present, but slowly waning. During the last 2 1/2 years of my employment, the Sears "money-first' mentality was making people selfish, greedy, and back-stabbing. Management spent all their time trying to fudge their numbers to make themselves look good and were too busy with meetings to spend time managing their teams. They often took credit for the work others did, without recognizing the people who did the work. The company took advantage of people by not paying them more but constantly expecting them to do work that was above their wage grade with compensation. I caught my boss in multiple lies, spending company time doing personal work, and doing things that were unethical,

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the customer first, employees second, and the profits will follow. Work with your people, don't use them! If you are going to advertise that you offer higher quality, then make sure it is - consumers are not stupid.

From a 15-year employee... Great at first, but a dead end for most.

Middle Management (Multiple Divisions) (Former Employee)

I worked at Lands' End full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGenerous paid time off progression as years passed. Enormous and beautiful on-site gym/health club -- free for employees and family. Discount on clothing. The founder, Gary Comer, truly cared for the community and his employees and built a great company.

ConsSadly, the founder is gone. Minimal (if any) raises or bonuses since Sears purchased the company. Unrealistic expectations from executives and senior management has led to very low morale in many areas of the company. Revolving door for many professional positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and reward the employees who are already there. Focus on what Lands' End used to do best... Quality products and great customer service. Stop trying to become a "global lifestyle brand" ...it's kind of a joke.

Worked for Lands' End? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lands' End reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lands' End CEO Edgar Huber. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Lands' End employees.