Lands' End

www.landsend.com

Lands' End Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Lands' End – Dodgeville – “Lands”

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber

Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Great onsite fitness center (an entire building dedicated for this purpose)(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has so blurred the line between full-time & part-time employees that there is less and less benefit to being(in 5 reviews)

• They have cut part-time hours down to 29 or less per week, so they don't have to pay benefits(in 5 reviews)

Online retailer poorly placed inside of Sears. Not a good match.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsLearned a lot about outerwear and clothing during our training sessions.

ConsPoor management, poor pay, low expectations from Sears except that we meet all our metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Sears ASAP. The Sears management does not care about the Lands' End brand or its success.

Stressful and abusive.

Art Director (Former Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsNice architecture. The building itself is a pleasant place to work.

ConsStressful and abusive. The worse abuser, a SVP, was fired after one year on the job, but not before he did terrible damage to the company and to people working for him. I remember the day he addressed his dozen-or-so direct reports. He said, "Do you know why you're all so unhappy? It's because before I came, you were all incompetent but didn't know it. Now you are incompetent and you do know it. Knowing you're incompetent makes you unhappy."

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people. Don't look the other way when sadistic SVPs prey upon their staff.

Lands' End is wonderful, too bad it is under Sears.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsQuality merchandise you can represent.

ConsOwned by Sears, no raises when Lands' End is making a profit, not able to expand and grow the talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the customer and the employee in mind just like Mr. Comer wanted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultative sales associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people especially lead manager.

ConsCould use a better faculty room

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Sears impact, employee turnover, and poor decision making being felt across the board

ProsWhat was great is no longer; Customer Service is still king but unfortunately everything that stood behind it has been minimized greatly

ConsInvestment in people and technology are dismal, a direct impact of Sears (see Eddie Lampert). Culture is at rock bottom and nothing is being done to address it. Hiring and Promoting the wrong people. HR in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people who make a difference. Nothing is more disheartening and demoralizing to an organization than to see a clearly unfit leader appointed. Running LE like Sears is clearly a huge mistake. We don't need politicians, we need leaders.

Family-oriented company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsAre supportive of family and plan fun family activities for employees

ConsBurn out a lot of good people. So busy putting out fires there is little time to improve the process and streamline things. Always playing catch-up. They have also taken many of the employee perks away over the last couple of years.

Brilliant opportunities for motivated team players.

Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFantastic potential with the looming Sears spin-off. LE will get to practice self governance once again, set realistic goals and be more agile. Also top notch health club, generous compensation package and focus on quality of life make this a great company.

ConsBeing under Sears yoke has hampered our growth and has been detrimental to our brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake full advantage of the spin off! But go about it in a judicious fashion. Focus on the customer, focus on the employee.

Generic retail job

Pros20 percent discount on clothes.

ConsIt's in Sears. The company could do better on its own.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers an living wage and get out of Sears ASAP. It's hurting the brand.

Great learning experience in a fast paced environment.

Orderfilling (Former Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsSupervisors are great and friendly. Second shift was a great opportunity to make some extra money during the holidays and flexibility in scheduling made it easy to balance work and family time.

ConsThe tasks required become monotonous after the first hour or two of the shift. Typically assigned one task for the whole shift and it either requires standing in place for several hours or running around for several hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSecond shift is not needed for peak season with the current economy. Look into viable alternatives for replacing second shift by giving the full-time employees the opportunity to earn overtime one or two days a week to keep up with demand.

Having success at a successful company is the best reward.

Photo Studio (Current Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsThe people, the experiences available and the product.

ConsThe location can be a problem for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize the consumer and the experience.

Worked for Lands' End? Contribute to the Community!