Lands' End

www.landsend.com

Lands' End Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Lands' End – Dodgeville – “Lands”

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber

Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Great onsite fitness center (an entire building dedicated for this purpose)(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has so blurred the line between full-time & part-time employees that there is less and less benefit to being(in 5 reviews)

• They have cut part-time hours down to 29 or less per week, so they don't have to pay benefits(in 5 reviews)

Obsessed!

Shop Manager (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsGREAT product quality, great member base, and merchandising execution standards!

ConsSome Stores can unfortunately close.

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally had a pleasure at Lands End with my short time there. Flexible hours (a plus for college students). Great culture. Great environment. And good pay for college students looking for work during their peak seasons.

ConsI've heard of complaints about Sears having too much power over seeing operations at Lands End. But what do I know? I'm just a packer for the holiday seasons.

Manager gives misleading interviewing pitch

ProsIf you are interested in fashion, The hours are not bad if your an super early riser

Consintimidating sales approach to consumers, office culture was lacking, compensation was terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice sincerity when managing those below you in the status of the work place. Workers are often abused mentally for simple tasks that taunts them even after work. Allow management to appreciate the workmanship of each employee that way workers will feel more enthusiastic to perform over and beyond when working.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was manic

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsNew experience in a middle America retail

ConsPoor upper management and funneling of information needed to accomplish company goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your staff understand their goals.

Land's End Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chesterfield, VA

ProsFlexible schedule, family atmosphere, good resume builder, fun environment

ConsHours are slim but great for a part-time job especially if you are on school. Some shifts such as the 3 hours scheduled make you feel like its a waste of time but good on those days you may have other obligations.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore full-time associates would be great because the minimum time each associate is there takes away from the personal relationships we grow with each customer.

Horrible Pace To Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsGreat co workers. Other than that, I can't think of any pros.

ConsFirst of all, if you are thinking about working here, be careful. HR will say just about anything to get you to accept the job, including things that are not true. I am astonished that they can get away with this practice and show such a lack of integrity.

Once in, to my dismay, I found it to be a stifling culture of micromanagement with inexperienced, non talented leaders. Morale is bad, turnover is high. People are lifers or come from the outside and stay two years due to relocation contracts. People actually have countdown timers on smartphones toward their two year anniversary.

Hours are long and others take up the slack when people leave, which is often. There have been jobs open for over a year. It's bad. Morale has seemed to be declining at an accelerated rate.

Company has no vision. It is chaotic, disorganized and inefficient. You will put in the hours but feel like you are spinning in circles doing meaningless tasks. I agree with other reviewers, there is a worker bee mentality. How will a company sustain competitiveness treating their employees so poorly? Good news is that you will never have to make a decision, you have five layers of bosses to do it for you. You can get by on demonstrating how adept you are carrying out orders. Whether or not you agree with them doesn't matter.

The culture has strayed far from its roots and Gary Comer's influence. Stay away!

The worst company I have ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are still some quality people there, but not for long I suspect. The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it.

ConsOff the charts expectations in terms of hours (start at 80/week and go up) combined with outdated tools and limited resources (staffing). CEO and CFO cultivate a culture of distrust, fear, and intimidation. They fall back on "this is how retail works". They have completely obliterated the culture of Gary Comer interms of taking care of the customer and employees and everything else will be taken care of. The term "materiality" is absent from their vocabulary as EVERYTHING is material. For all those who are gushing about this company after being spun off from Sears, do some research on the new Board. They are all hand picked cronies of Eddie Lampert.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour current track is not sustainable. You can't do great things when you don't treat employees like human beings.

Room for improvement

ProsThe employees on the whole are a great group of caring and dedicated people. The workout facilities are top notch.

ConsLocation has it's charm, but the commute from Madison does wear on you over the years. Systems are decades behind the times and too much time is spent collecting data instead of making a difference in the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to break free of the limitations of corporate and truly understand that a happy team will make the business a success.

Good people. Definitely a hierarchy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dodgeville, WI

ProsKind people. Casual work environment. Small town feel for a relatively big brand. The people really care and try, but the culture has really suffered since Gary Comer sold the company.

Plus is that LE allowed me to gain experience at a large brand and then move on to a better brand.

ConsDefinite hierarchy of worker-bee class and those who "escaped" --meaning supervisory management (this was actually said to me by one such "escapee")

Was held back from moving to other positions which better matched my skills because of politics and "business need".

Lots of stress and pressure for people trying to cya...Nice people, just often put into bad situations where they have to be a bit cut throat. Very passive, though. They won't do so to your face usually, mostly behind your back.

Moral is low (but most will only be honest about this behind closed doors or after they have left). Creates a constant talent drain. People come to Dodgeville for a few years or for life. Those are the 2 extremes. It can be a great place to expand your resume and then move on or to settle in for the long haul.

My experience has been positive, but definitely a roller coaster.

ProsCamaraderie with coworkers

Good benefits

Always busy, always something to work on.

ConsThere is no value placed on education. The large majority of the employees are uneducated and not qualified.

Extremely stressful work environment.

Lack of structure to sales teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure sales and sales operations teams. Listen to your employees. Increase wages to be commensurate with industry.

Worked for Lands' End? Contribute to the Community!