Lands' End

Updated January 30, 2015
2.9

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber
Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions (in 6 reviews)

• You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at Lands' End part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the job and love the customers. This job teaches you all about customer service and retail as a whole.

Cons

They do not give raises. They tell you they do, but they don't. I was promised mine three months ago and yet here I am, still minimum wage, even though I have been there the longest of all employees at my location ...

They do not promote from within, either.

Hours vary a lot from week to week, but that's typical retail.

The worst is the miscommunication between Sears and LE. Sears managers say one thing while LE says another. We are expected to abide by Sears' metrics. LE pays Sears workers to do our shipments, yet they mess everything up and we have to redo it.

Get out of Sears! and give back to your employees who are giving so, so much.

great co workers. amazing group to work with and happy up beat environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate Cashier in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Cashier in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

working with associates and managers. making customers happy and satisfied with each purchase. quick pace and fun interaction with people

Cons

wage.. managers Dont do much. struggle with fulltime when having childcare hours.

Still trying to be a sales organization

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dodgeville, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dodgeville, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific product. Desire to be a much larger company

Cons

Inventory issues, stuck in a 40 year old culture

You want to be a $5 billion brand--you need to recognize the value of salespeople.

Great customer service for customers, get out of Sears.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lands' End full-time

Pros

Wants to keep up with other specialty retailers and change the merchandising of stores during 2014.

Cons

Still in Sears stores, using their trucks, phones, registers. Employees are Sears, get paid by Sears, reviewed by Sears, but have Lands' End policies that they need to follow.

Get out of Sears, get the stores sized right, get in free standing new space within malls, get the most updated POS systems.

Great Teaching Employer

I worked at Lands' End (more than 10 years)

Pros

Atmosphere of teaching and training

Cons

Company not free to self-manage

None

Assistant Merchants -- looks elsewhere for proper, more supportive training

Former Employee - Assistant Merchant (In Training) in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchant (In Training) in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits, nice fitness center, 40% employee discount, laid paid enviornment (corporate)

Cons

Terrible training program, disorganized, don't take the time to train and work to develop your skills.

Get a better training program and only give AMITs to those who are willing to take the time to train them properly. Don't throw them into the deep end to sink or swim, with very little guidance or support -- because they will sink.

Frustrating leadership

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

Most of the employees manager level and below are great people and highly dedicated. They are the ones that make this company a great place to work.

Cons

Leadership from VP level up to the C-level are awful to work for. No strategic planning -- just a bunch of reactive people that change direction on a dime. Little to no direction or trust.

Clean house and get back to the environment that the company used to be -- family oriented, valuing a work life balance and with a solid plan for the future. And stop all the lip service of claiming that you'll improve things and actually make changes to improve the company.

Lands End is Wonderful

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for LandsEnd you get so much appreciation from upper management( V.P, district managers) either personally or store wise. The little incentives go along way .Opinions do matter and everyone is always so friendly. Feeling like your part of a team is not common nowadays and I find that here. The brand is long lasting and stylish. I recieved so much hands on training . I wouldn't want to work for any other company. It's great. Even the customers are wonderful

Cons

Only con is sharing same store retail space with other company's. It makes it alittle hard to focus on your dedicated customers.

Would be nice to be able to forward minor clothing complaints from customers so they can be part of the team to help us thrive even more.

Would go back today.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cross Plains, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cross Plains, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work place conditions, the work and the training that I received. The experience with Lands' End changed my customer service expectations on both providing and receiving.

Cons

Work hours. When the call volume would decrease down time was hard to fill with some other activity while at my desk.

The best company I've worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

-extremely flexible shifts, abiity to trade, give away, or trade shifts with other employees.
    -managers/leads honestly do care about the well being of their employees
    -best work environment ive ever seen. Id walk out into our break area to find raffles, "game days" or other activities at complete random. also free gym access, and a break for most shifts, no matter what (no more not getting a break because its "too busy")
    -you are part of a team where you have one person you can report to with any questions or concerns.
    -great pay

Cons

honestly, I'm happy with almost everything.

I have to say I was amazed to see the review previously, saying that there was a lawsuit for an employee "getting fired for having the flu." just to clarify, you get SIXTY unpaid hours to use for emergencies, unplanned illness, or to go see a movie. they really dont mind what you use it for. if you use all sixty hours and have a balance of zero, you will be let go. i think its extremely reasonable, seeing as any employer would be suspicious if you called in for sixty hours worth of shifts. they really give you a lot of flexibility and freedom.

Lands' End Photos