Lands' End

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber
Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions (in 6 reviews)

• You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lands End is Wonderful

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for LandsEnd you get so much appreciation from upper management( V.P, district managers) either personally or store wise. The little incentives go along way .Opinions do matter and everyone is always so friendly. Feeling like your part of a team is not common nowadays and I find that here. The brand is long lasting and stylish. I recieved so much hands on training . I wouldn't want to work for any other company. It's great. Even the customers are wonderful

Cons

Only con is sharing same store retail space with other company's. It makes it alittle hard to focus on your dedicated customers.

Would be nice to be able to forward minor clothing complaints from customers so they can be part of the team to help us thrive even more.

Would go back today.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cross Plains, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cross Plains, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work place conditions, the work and the training that I received. The experience with Lands' End changed my customer service expectations on both providing and receiving.

Cons

Work hours. When the call volume would decrease down time was hard to fill with some other activity while at my desk.

The best company I've worked for.

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

-extremely flexible shifts, abiity to trade, give away, or trade shifts with other employees.
    -managers/leads honestly do care about the well being of their employees
    -best work environment ive ever seen. Id walk out into our break area to find raffles, "game days" or other activities at complete random. also free gym access, and a break for most shifts, no matter what (no more not getting a break because its "too busy")
    -you are part of a team where you have one person you can report to with any questions or concerns.
    -great pay

Cons

honestly, I'm happy with almost everything.

I have to say I was amazed to see the review previously, saying that there was a lawsuit for an employee "getting fired for having the flu." just to clarify, you get SIXTY unpaid hours to use for emergencies, unplanned illness, or to go see a movie. they really dont mind what you use it for. if you use all sixty hours and have a balance of zero, you will be let go. i think its extremely reasonable, seeing as any employer would be suspicious if you called in for sixty hours worth of shifts. they really give you a lot of flexibility and freedom.

Strong history and core values rooted deep in the company DNA.

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great enthusiasm for the Brand, great middle management and facilities.

Cons

Current CEO and CFO are running off great talent that has been there for many years

Examine your methods and ask yourself if they are compatible with the culture.

Employees love the brand but current environment has created mass exodus

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-co workers
    -great brand
    -on a path of growth and success

Cons

-culture rewards $$ success only at the top
    - management has unrealistic expectations
    -limited resources
    -employees over worked and under valued

Upper management is new & does not understand or follow lands' end standards that we have followed as years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The family atmosphere
    fun
    great fellow associates

Cons

They are not promoting from within. many of us have been with the company for 5 or more years and are still just associates.

Raises! You will loose good employees that are doing your job & making you look good.

Wonderful Place to Work - Until Sears took it over

Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers were amazing and the clothes are great and comfortable. No hard sell techniques. No drama. Phenomenal employee discounts!

Cons

Once Sears took over, the quality of the products went way down. The overall atmosphere changed. It was all about selling the most you can in the first customer visit instead of nurturing long time customer loyalty. Eventually the store closed.

Bring back the quality Lands' End is famous for and remember the core values.

HR is a joke...

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The associate discount and on-site discounted store.

Cons

Like other posters have stated, HR unfortunately will say ANYTHING at Lands' End to get you on board. These are my favorites from the day I interviewed:

"No one ever works past 6pm because our computers shut down to insure you can't stay late and are able to enjoy a work/life balance." I am usually forced to stay at the office until all hours of the night (8, 9, 10pm) . Computers never turn off on me!

"Our employees get to enjoy weekly pay checks, unlike other companies who don't offer this perk." One week after I started our paycheck system was changed to every two weeks...like other companies.

"We don't tolerate work-place bullying and one offense will get you fired. We only hire the nicest of nice people." One of the higher-ups over Sourcing and Design uses the terms "retarded" and "Dodgeville retarded" to describe how she feels about certain products in the line. She also likes to tell employees that their hard work looks like “something that was made in a garage." All of these comments take place in professional, high level meetings. As other reviews have stated, there are a few select directors that find it within their job descriptions to call out their team individuals for being too skinny, for gaining weight, for simply having different opinions, and the list goes on. HR has been notified of many circumstances yet the work place bullying continues and gets worse yet no one has lost their job.

Listen to the other reviews if you are considering LE as a career move. It would save your sanity and mental health to look elsewhere.

The worst bottomless pit I have ever known

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a paying job - that is about the only Pro I can muster up.

Cons

I am writing this review as a public service to all of you who are considering working for Lands’ End. I am writing this review for all of my co-workers, past and current, who suffered the same torment as I did. Lastly, I am writing this review for Garry Coleman and Edger Hubber – may Garry turn in his grave over what I am about to write (as I’m sure he never dreamt of emoloyees being treated the way they are) and may Edger Huber take a moment to look a bit more closely at the horrors that occur on a day to day basis within his own building.

I worked at Lands’ End for several years, all of which turned worse than the previous year. Please note that prior to LE I had a lot of corporate experience, all across the country. My first truly negative experience occurred just two weeks into my job and from there on out it was nothing short of a nightmare. I won’t bore you will endless tails, but instead I will bullet some of the major faults this company possess. Reader/Job Seeker – you have been warned.

Managers lead by force, threat, humiliation, and intense bullinying. Frequent “touch bases” are scheduled to keep you at a level of fear, to make sure you are scolded, and to keep your level of happiness at a minimum. They have no problem saying to your face that you are “stupid,” “slow,” “annoying,” “fat/skinny,” or whatever else it is that makes them feel good at the moment.

Directors are too busy with their heads in the clouds to notice and/or care how their team Managers are treating their minions, so nothing is ever done to help those who are being tormented. Directors have what I’d like to call a Kanye West Complex and find it within the rights to make jokes about your hair, clothes, color of your skin (yes, you read that correctly), your likes and dislikes, and anything else that suits their fancy on that particular day. Be prepared to be humiliated in front of anyone, anywhere, at any given time.

Ready to start a family or need to have surgery? Don’t. Not only will everyone resent you for it, but you will be expected to work 3x harder and faster when you return – even if that means sacrificing your health and extended recovery time. Why you ask? Because, “You made the team suffer.” Also be prepared to be asked to do work while you are on approved medical leave.

Like taking vacation? Well then I’m truly sorry for you. When you work 50+ hour weeks there is no time for vacation. Even if you do get the time off, again, be prepared to be resented and don’t even think about complaining about having to make up that time after-hours the following week or expect to get another fun-behind-closed-door touchbase on how hard the team had to work while you were out.

Interested in a particular job but also interested in moving within the company within a few years? Be aware – several individuals have been fired for taking interest in other internal positions (even with positive yearly reviews). If you aren’t 100% thrilled with your current job they will have no problem replacing you, ASAP.

Worried about the 45 minute drive from Madison to Dodgeville? You should be. At first it is beautiful, filled with endless fields of corn and cows, but after months of staying at the office till 10pm that 45 minute drive is going to be the death of you. Unless of course you first die during a snow storm when your boss demands you go into the office with 4ft of snow on the ground, or when the temperatures are below -30. Of course your boss won’t be able to come in…but you damn well better.

Prepare to get used to doing not just your work load, but also your bosses work because they need to make personal phone calls, read their Facebook news feed, text their significant other, text their friends, write personal emails, and simply not do their job. Once both of your work is done, make sure to use your best poker face when your boss continuously accepts positive feedback for everything you did and not once giving you an ounce of credit.

Crossfunctional teams act as if they are at war with one another. There are no teams at Lands’ End, just people taking sides on battlefields. On average about 50% of team meetings end in arguing, someone crying, someone storming out, or a nasty email being spread. It is absolutely pathetic watching grown adults, not to mention PROFESSIONAL ADULTS, snap at one another over prints, fabrics, pricing, etc. It is just apparel and home goods, people. They are not saving lives or curing cancer – they are creating meaningless physical objects that should not cause such uproar.

Turnover at LE is exceptionally high and is continuously inclining. It was common to hear about 3-6 people leaving on a weekly basis. Plenty of which left without a single days notice. Many people left before their contract was up because they were better off paying back their 15K relocation assistance versus staying with the company. Those who can’t pay back their fees are already planning to resign the day after their contract is up.

And there you have it – a miniscule glance at the wrenched world of Land’s End.

"Treat others the same way you want them to treat you."

Lands' End Response

Dec 17, 2014SVP Talent Acquisition and Management

Integrity and respect are two of our core company values. Please consider contacting our anonymous ethics hotline to share more details about your experiences and concerns so we may look into and ... More

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Order Filler in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Every employee is treated like a valued member of the team. Management follows up on suggestions and concerns. Employees are also paid very well and offered an attractive benefit package.

Cons

It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions. You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available. However, you will love working there as a temp or full-timer because you will be treated as a valued member of the team.

Lands' End Photos