Lands' End Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber
Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions (in 6 reviews)

• You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Employees love the brand but current environment has created mass exodus

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-co workers
    -great brand
    -on a path of growth and success

Cons

-culture rewards $$ success only at the top
    - management has unrealistic expectations
    -limited resources
    -employees over worked and under valued

Upper management is new & does not understand or follow lands' end standards that we have followed as years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The family atmosphere
    fun
    great fellow associates

Cons

They are not promoting from within. many of us have been with the company for 5 or more years and are still just associates.

Raises! You will loose good employees that are doing your job & making you look good.

Wonderful Place to Work - Until Sears took it over

Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers were amazing and the clothes are great and comfortable. No hard sell techniques. No drama. Phenomenal employee discounts!

Cons

Once Sears took over, the quality of the products went way down. The overall atmosphere changed. It was all about selling the most you can in the first customer visit instead of nurturing long time customer loyalty. Eventually the store closed.

Bring back the quality Lands' End is famous for and remember the core values.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Order Filler in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Every employee is treated like a valued member of the team. Management follows up on suggestions and concerns. Employees are also paid very well and offered an attractive benefit package.

Cons

It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions. You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available. However, you will love working there as a temp or full-timer because you will be treated as a valued member of the team.

A company trying to figure out its way.

Former Employee - Intern in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There were some wonderful people and great potential. With an investment infusion aimed at talent, good times could roll again.

Cons

In Sears' effort to drive bottom line revenue, they stripped the company of most of what made it special. It's a shell of Gary Comer's creation.

Rediscover the core of what made Lands' End special. Go back to the core principals with truly quality clothing.

The worst bottomless pit I have ever known

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a paying job - that is about the only Pro I can muster up.

Cons

I am writing this review as a public service to all of you who are considering working for Lands’ End. I am writing this review for all of my co-workers, past and current, who suffered the same torment as I did. Lastly, I am writing this review for Garry Coleman and Edger Hubber – may Garry turn in his grave over what I am about to write (as I’m sure he never dreamt of emoloyees being treated the way they are) and may Edger Huber take a moment to look a bit more closely at the horrors that occur on a day to day basis within his own building.

I worked at Lands’ End for several years, all of which turned worse than the previous year. Please note that prior to LE I had a lot of corporate experience, all across the country. My first truly negative experience occurred just two weeks into my job and from there on out it was nothing short of a nightmare. I won’t bore you will endless tails, but instead I will bullet some of the major faults this company possess. Reader/Job Seeker – you have been warned.

Managers lead by force, threat, humiliation, and intense bullinying. Frequent “touch bases” are scheduled to keep you at a level of fear, to make sure you are scolded, and to keep your level of happiness at a minimum. They have no problem saying to your face that you are “stupid,” “slow,” “annoying,” “fat/skinny,” or whatever else it is that makes them feel good at the moment.

Directors are too busy with their heads in the clouds to notice and/or care how their team Managers are treating their minions, so nothing is ever done to help those who are being tormented. Directors have what I’d like to call a Kanye West Complex and find it within the rights to make jokes about your hair, clothes, color of your skin (yes, you read that correctly), your likes and dislikes, and anything else that suits their fancy on that particular day. Be prepared to be humiliated in front of anyone, anywhere, at any given time.

Ready to start a family or need to have surgery? Don’t. Not only will everyone resent you for it, but you will be expected to work 3x harder and faster when you return – even if that means sacrificing your health and extended recovery time. Why you ask? Because, “You made the team suffer.” Also be prepared to be asked to do work while you are on approved medical leave.

Like taking vacation? Well then I’m truly sorry for you. When you work 50+ hour weeks there is no time for vacation. Even if you do get the time off, again, be prepared to be resented and don’t even think about complaining about having to make up that time after-hours the following week or expect to get another fun-behind-closed-door touchbase on how hard the team had to work while you were out.

Interested in a particular job but also interested in moving within the company within a few years? Be aware – several individuals have been fired for taking interest in other internal positions (even with positive yearly reviews). If you aren’t 100% thrilled with your current job they will have no problem replacing you, ASAP.

Worried about the 45 minute drive from Madison to Dodgeville? You should be. At first it is beautiful, filled with endless fields of corn and cows, but after months of staying at the office till 10pm that 45 minute drive is going to be the death of you. Unless of course you first die during a snow storm when your boss demands you go into the office with 4ft of snow on the ground, or when the temperatures are below -30. Of course your boss won’t be able to come in…but you damn well better.

Prepare to get used to doing not just your work load, but also your bosses work because they need to make personal phone calls, read their Facebook news feed, text their significant other, text their friends, write personal emails, and simply not do their job. Once both of your work is done, make sure to use your best poker face when your boss continuously accepts positive feedback for everything you did and not once giving you an ounce of credit.

Crossfunctional teams act as if they are at war with one another. There are no teams at Lands’ End, just people taking sides on battlefields. On average about 50% of team meetings end in arguing, someone crying, someone storming out, or a nasty email being spread. It is absolutely pathetic watching grown adults, not to mention PROFESSIONAL ADULTS, snap at one another over prints, fabrics, pricing, etc. It is just apparel and home goods, people. They are not saving lives or curing cancer – they are creating meaningless physical objects that should not cause such uproar.

Turnover at LE is exceptionally high and is continuously inclining. It was common to hear about 3-6 people leaving on a weekly basis. Plenty of which left without a single days notice. Many people left before their contract was up because they were better off paying back their 15K relocation assistance versus staying with the company. Those who can’t pay back their fees are already planning to resign the day after their contract is up.

And there you have it – a miniscule glance at the wrenched world of Land’s End.

"Treat others the same way you want them to treat you."

Overall Good Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For a college student it had great pay and benefits. The management was great too and you could tell they really cared about the well being of their employees. The work environment was also nice and friendly.

Cons

At times it can be very busy and stressful. There are not too many options for career advancement but it was alright for a seasonal job.

Great products in need of management stability

Former Employee - Graduate Intern in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Graduate Intern in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well structured graduate internship program with senior management visibility.

Cons

Management continues to change, year after year.

Stabilize company and establish long-term strategy.

Lost its way

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only benefit I took from working at Lands' End Business Outfitters was that I became good friends with a lot of coworkers. Something to keep in mind... a good portion of our employee 'bonding' was discussing all the cons of the business. See below.

Cons

*The majority of leads are not properly trained and unintelligent. Our bathroom breaks are timed, yet myself and another coworker set a timer once, wherein we timed two leads talking about their vacations during non-break hours. It was a few seconds short of 45 minutes.
    *Mediocre benefit packages
    *Little room for advancement (And none if you don't kiss a little butt.)
    *Clear favoritism
    *Full of politics.
    *Shady management. They currently have a lawsuit pending on them for firing an employee using sick hours when he was home with the flu.
    *Cutting corners money wise, which ultimately is taken from the sales representatives (Bonuses, raises, etc.)
    *Poorly micromanaged.

Hire (and train) some professional, responsible, fresh blood who understand the "6-Block", can accurately apply it, and aim to educate and advise their staff.

Don't work for.Business Outfitters !!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lands' End part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and coworkers were the best part of the job. Business Outfitters was less tedious than the "CORE" side. Casual work attire was great.

Cons

LEBO Management very rude and condescending. Employees only get 1 half hour break per shift. Bathroom breaks are timed. They will alter your stats if they don't like you. Leads are very unprofessional i.e.talk in detail female issues as well as gossip about employees to other employees who are their favorites. There was also a bonus program but my lead did not tell a fellow co-worker until the coworker noticed it on her check. It would have been nice to know.

Upper management: Leads should be more knowledgeable about the jobs they lead and less concerned with gossip. Get rid of leads such as Bambi, Becky, and look at how some SP leads operate. They are unprofessional and will openly gossip about other employees with employees. They need to learn to leave their personal lives at the door. Also the "six-blocking" training program does not work.

Lands' End Photos