Lands' End

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014

Lands' End President & CEO Edgar Huber
Edgar Huber

Pros
  • Full health facility, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is somewhat difficult to get full time positions (in 6 reviews)

• You may have to work part-time hours after the peak season if there aren't any permanent shifts available (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't go!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a small amount of great people there that you will want to remain friends forever. That's it!!!! Though most of those people leave as soon as their 2 year contract is up, if not before.

Cons

-Poor leadership and management from the top down.
    -Manipulative, unqualified employees seem to be rewarded and retained over talented, qualified and innovative members.
    -Growth is not nurtured nor encouraged.
    -The environment is so toxic which makes it impossible to do ones job or be rewarded or acknowledged.
    -The toxic leaders make the lives of those threatened abusive and intolerable.
    -HR/ ES are unprofessional and useless in difficult situations and do not handle issues well.
    -Ethics are not practiced.
    -many false promises, no delivery.
    -people are concerned for themselves rather than doing what's best for the company.
    -environment feels like a shark pool rather than a work place.
    -overall, very sad to see a brand with a heritage and potential be destroyed by unnecessary politics and drama.

- Say thank you and practice manners. It goes a long way and cultivates respect, which is much needed.
    -Reward employees. Without them, there is no product and no results. Know what is truly valuable. The company is so top heavy and forgets how important each factor is to the equation.
    -Be more involved. Exec leadership is so removed from most important part of the structure.
    -Be transparent.

Obsessed!

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GREAT product quality, great member base, and merchandising execution standards!

Cons

Some Stores can unfortunately close.

The day of Gary Comer the company was great.....the culture isn't what it used to be. Sad!

Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Dodgeville, WI
    Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Dodgeville, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My direct manager and coworkers are great and nice to be around. I've made some great friendships.

Cons

There are so many great people that have left the company due to being dissatisfied with a variety of issues and problems that are company wide. Management has not back-filled positions so we are needing to do additional work with no additional compensation. Many days I'm working 10 hour days with no breaks and eating lunch at my desk. It is extremely hard to keep up when you are doing jobs that 2 people used to do. Promotions and job advancement is extremely rare.

Great!

I worked at Lands' End part-time

Pros

Really had a pleasure at Lands End with my short time there. Flexible hours (a plus for college students). Great culture. Great environment. And good pay for college students looking for work during their peak seasons.

Cons

I've heard of complaints about Sears having too much power over seeing operations at Lands End. But what do I know? I'm just a packer for the holiday seasons.

Good people. Definitely a hierarchy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kind people. Casual work environment. Small town feel for a relatively big brand. The people really care and try, but the culture has really suffered since Gary Comer sold the company.

Plus is that LE allowed me to gain experience at a large brand and then move on to a better brand.

Cons

Definite hierarchy of worker-bee class and those who "escaped" --meaning supervisory management (this was actually said to me by one such "escapee")

Was held back from moving to other positions which better matched my skills because of politics and "business need".

Lots of stress and pressure for people trying to cya...Nice people, just often put into bad situations where they have to be a bit cut throat. Very passive, though. They won't do so to your face usually, mostly behind your back.

Moral is low (but most will only be honest about this behind closed doors or after they have left). Creates a constant talent drain. People come to Dodgeville for a few years or for life. Those are the 2 extremes. It can be a great place to expand your resume and then move on or to settle in for the long haul.

It was manic

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lands' End

Pros

New experience in a middle America retail

Cons

Poor upper management and funneling of information needed to accomplish company goals.

Help your staff understand their goals.

Room for improvement

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

The employees on the whole are a great group of caring and dedicated people. The workout facilities are top notch.

Cons

Location has it's charm, but the commute from Madison does wear on you over the years. Systems are decades behind the times and too much time is spent collecting data instead of making a difference in the business.

Continue to break free of the limitations of corporate and truly understand that a happy team will make the business a success.

Horrible Pace To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers. Other than that, I can't think of any pros.

Cons

First of all, if you are thinking about working here, be careful. HR will say just about anything to get you to accept the job, including things that are not true. I am astonished that they can get away with this practice and show such a lack of integrity.

Once in, to my dismay, I found it to be a stifling culture of micromanagement with inexperienced, non talented leaders. Morale is bad, turnover is high. People are lifers or come from the outside and stay two years due to relocation contracts. People actually have countdown timers on smartphones toward their two year anniversary.

Hours are long and others take up the slack when people leave, which is often. There have been jobs open for over a year. It's bad. Morale has seemed to be declining at an accelerated rate.

Company has no vision. It is chaotic, disorganized and inefficient. You will put in the hours but feel like you are spinning in circles doing meaningless tasks. I agree with other reviewers, there is a worker bee mentality. How will a company sustain competitiveness treating their employees so poorly? Good news is that you will never have to make a decision, you have five layers of bosses to do it for you. You can get by on demonstrating how adept you are carrying out orders. Whether or not you agree with them doesn't matter.

The culture has strayed far from its roots and Gary Comer's influence. Stay away!

My experience has been positive, but definitely a roller coaster.

I have been working at Lands' End

Pros

Camaraderie with coworkers

Good benefits

Always busy, always something to work on.

Cons

There is no value placed on education. The large majority of the employees are uneducated and not qualified.

Extremely stressful work environment.

Lack of structure to sales teams.

Restructure sales and sales operations teams. Listen to your employees. Increase wages to be commensurate with industry.

The worst company I have ever worked for.

I worked at Lands' End full-time

Pros

There are still some quality people there, but not for long I suspect. The fitness center is awesome, in theory, since most never get a chance to actually use it.

Cons

Off the charts expectations in terms of hours (start at 80/week and go up) combined with outdated tools and limited resources (staffing). CEO and CFO cultivate a culture of distrust, fear, and intimidation. They fall back on "this is how retail works". They have completely obliterated the culture of Gary Comer interms of taking care of the customer and employees and everything else will be taken care of. The term "materiality" is absent from their vocabulary as EVERYTHING is material. For all those who are gushing about this company after being spun off from Sears, do some research on the new Board. They are all hand picked cronies of Eddie Lampert.

Your current track is not sustainable. You can't do great things when you don't treat employees like human beings.

Lands' End Photos