Landstar System

Landstar System Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Landstar System President, CEO, and Director, Landstar and Landstar System Holdings Henry H. Gerkens

Henry H. Gerkens

Good company to work for (if you land in the right department)

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsPretty good benefits, strong company, good IT upper management and affordable health care if you are reasonably healthy. Quarterly bonuses based on company performance. Good work life balance and very nice office and location.

ConsVery strict computing environment, no access to outside email, only gives you 25MB of Landstar email storage. Pay slightly below market value. Not much room for advancement because nobody ever leaves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company

Independent Sales Agent (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a pretty good place to be, with a ton of opportunities if you're movitvated and at least a little aggressive.

ConsYou have to go get your own customers, and some of the things they should take care of, you have to do. Pay can get to be pretty good, but it takes tome time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should provide more support to the agents with knowing how to grow their businesses, and they really need to get up to speed with peers in the industry from a technology standpoint.

Awesome job

Invoice Auditor (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat coworker and company. The pay is good and benefits are also.

ConsManagers need training to keep the team positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen more than one person complain there is truely a problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software developer

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThere are lots of benefits. The location is really a good spot. It's right next to a golf course. It's a nice work environment.
    There are rewarding challenges.

ConsI can't come up with any negatives to report except that the location is a little bit isolated from food establishments. It's not bad but you do have to drive to get near nice eating places.

Had the opportunity to run my on business

Owner Operator (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsBe my own boss

ConsKeeping up with load board

Advice to Senior ManagementThat most Agents do not care about Hrs. of service

It was a good company

Clerk (Current Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsDecent hours and work life balance

ConsNothing bad to say about the company

Supply Chain Solutions Design

Administrative (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsNo comments relating to the company overall.

ConsThere were no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Stable and Safe Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable company with a nice work environment.

ConsWorking policies and practices tend to lead toward a general lack of accountability across the board. Little, if any, opportunity for advancement.

BCO compensation too low

BCO (Current Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsThe so called "freedom" of non forced dispatch

ConsAgents play favorites, good loads never make it to load board. Load board praised as its life blood for BCO's but in reality its mostly junk freight going to dead holes with no out bound freight or very cheap freight. Percentage of load paid to BCO is dreadfully too low to make money at current rates. Proof is in what BCO's are driving for trucks. Mostly old fleet trucks now. 8 years ago more BCO's had late model trucks O/O spec'd. Just proves how standard of living has gone down.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking everything is perfectly fine. Sure, maybe 10 % of the BCO's are actually making OK money hauling good freight. But the rest wash out within a year. Turn over goes up and age of equipment is also going up. Load board is a joke so admit it and find a better solution. Too many agents for the freight available. We don't need 5 agents posting the same dreadfully cheap load. That just proves how desparate agents are and how worthless the load board is.

No organizational structure

Dispatch Associate (Former Employee) Salem, OR

ProsGood hours, good job, fast paced. If I needed something then the owner would get it for me.

ConsConstantly pulled in two different directions, One wants me to do one thing the other wanted me to do something different. They were not on the same schedule when it came to giving me a job. The pay stunk. chauvinistic/egotistical mentality. They worked for a bad company and they had the same environment in their office.

Advice to Senior ManagementForm a chain of command, Come up with a policy & procedures manual. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Show respect for your employees.

Worked for Landstar System? Contribute to the Community!