Landstar System Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

3.5

Landstar System President, CEO, and Director, Landstar and Landstar System Holdings Henry H. Gerkens
Henry H. Gerkens

No organizational structure

Former Employee - Dispatch Associate  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Dispatch Associate in Salem, OR

I worked at Landstar System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hours, good job, fast paced. If I needed something then the owner would get it for me.

Cons

Constantly pulled in two different directions, One wants me to do one thing the other wanted me to do something different. They were not on the same schedule when it came to giving me a job. The pay stunk. chauvinistic/egotistical mentality. They worked for a bad company and they had the same environment in their office.

Form a chain of command, Come up with a policy & procedures manual. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Show respect for your employees.

Great Company and work environment

Current Employee - Information Services  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Information Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity for progressing, great peers

Cons

None of the top of my head

None of the top of my head

It's a good place for beginners to learn the Freight Brokerage Business

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

They provide excellent online seminars. It's a leading name in the Transportation Industry

Cons

They play "favorites". They do not provide a level playing field for all their Agents. Unless you are one of their "chosen few" you cannot cover any Military Freight. Other Landstar Agents stab you in the back and steal your customers. The Landstar Revenue Processing Department does not tell you if there is a problem with any of the billing to the customers - you have to find it out for yourself after they cut off the customer credit for non-payment of bills. Upper Management does not listen very well - heck! Upper Management does not listen at all!

Provide a level playing field for all the Agents - not just your chosen few. In this tough economy, you need to allow all of us to be able to work with the Military - especially the more experienced Agents and the ones who have freinds/family in the Military who can provide opportunities. Listen to what your people are saying!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I worked at Landstar System

Pros

Corporate training provided to learn new skills that are useful in any job. Fun place to work.

Cons

different locations seem to have different expectations of their employees

Hard to advace, managers love to tell you what you do wrong and never right.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Landstar System

Pros

Challenging, use of new technology, close relationship with Microsoft, IBM and other key vendors.

Cons

Management loves to tell you what you do wrong, but rarely, if ever, provide praise for things done right. The chances to grow there depend on who's backside you kiss not how good you are at your job. The employee reviews are a joke and you have to wait a year before taking vacation if you're a new hire.

More positive feed back to employees would go a long way towards making them ever happier.

Good, solid company but advancing can be difficult

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

Work/life balance
    Good Middle Mgmt
    Great Co-Workers

Cons

Career Advancement is not easy. It's kind of who you know vs. what you do
    Work can sometimes get repetitive due to the nature of the business
    If you like learning lots of new things and a fast paced environment this is not the place

Manual Quality Assurance Tester

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

You get a pay check twice a month

Cons

Management is horribly incapable. They buy software systems and allocate absolutely $0 towards training on this software. Please explain to the employees how they can be held accountable for using these systems when you provide them with absolutely no training. No Training. No Training. Did I mention they provide NO TRAINING? They recently had to ditch a data warehouse system that cost the company $1,000,000.00

It would be really nice if senior management would mingle with entry level folks, as well as the grunts on the first floor. The only time senior management bothers to come to the first floor is as they make their way towards the elevators. Senior Management NEVER tells other departments that they do a good job. When job reviews are done, employees NEVER get to give an opinion of their bosses, it is always done from a managers perspective of the employee. Gerkens NEVER visits folks on the first floor other than to eat at the Truckstop Cafe. He wouldn't know the names of employees if they met him at any other place socially. Gerkens wants Landstar to outperform J.B. Hunt Transport. How do you intend to do that Henry, while paying a whopping $0.20 dividend? No thanks, I'll put my money elsewhere.

I have been with Landstar going on twenty years as both Owner operator and now Agent.

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent  in  Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Flint, MI

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

Landstar managers and VP's are always available to help with any issues you may have come up.

Cons

Asa in any company a few personel have given some other companies a bad taste with Landstar.

I feel that all regional sales agents should work together. Region cordinators should not be penalized for agents who work with other region mangers as we are all Landstar. we should all work together.

Landstar gave me the resources and ability to perform a rewarding job from hom, they provided etools to make working ind

Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent  in  Calhoun, GA
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Calhoun, GA

I worked at Landstar System

Pros

They offer wonderful support in all areas needed to offer customers a professional, and successful job well done.

Cons

Tracking owner operators more closely, need to keep updated info on drivers to be able to stay in touch with them

I had a wonderful region manager, no advice

Worked for Landstar System? Contribute to the Community!