Landstar System

Landstar System Reviews

Updated January 3, 2015
Updated January 3, 2015
3.6

Landstar System President, CEO, and Director, Landstar and Landstar System Holdings Henry H. Gerkens
Henry H. Gerkens

Stable and Safe Company

I worked at Landstar System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company with a nice work environment.

Cons

Working policies and practices tend to lead toward a general lack of accountability across the board. Little, if any, opportunity for advancement.

BCO compensation too low

Current Employee - BCO in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - BCO in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Landstar System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The so called "freedom" of non forced dispatch

Cons

Agents play favorites, good loads never make it to load board. Load board praised as its life blood for BCO's but in reality its mostly junk freight going to dead holes with no out bound freight or very cheap freight. Percentage of load paid to BCO is dreadfully too low to make money at current rates. Proof is in what BCO's are driving for trucks. Mostly old fleet trucks now. 8 years ago more BCO's had late model trucks O/O spec'd. Just proves how standard of living has gone down.

Stop thinking everything is perfectly fine. Sure, maybe 10 % of the BCO's are actually making OK money hauling good freight. But the rest wash out within a year. Turn over goes up and age of equipment is also going up. Load board is a joke so admit it and find a better solution. Too many agents for the freight available. We don't need 5 agents posting the same dreadfully cheap load. That just proves how desparate agents are and how worthless the load board is.

No organizational structure

Former Employee - Dispatch Associate in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Dispatch Associate in Salem, OR

I worked at Landstar System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours, good job, fast paced. If I needed something then the owner would get it for me.

Cons

Constantly pulled in two different directions, One wants me to do one thing the other wanted me to do something different. They were not on the same schedule when it came to giving me a job. The pay stunk. chauvinistic/egotistical mentality. They worked for a bad company and they had the same environment in their office.

Form a chain of command, Come up with a policy & procedures manual. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Show respect for your employees.

Great Company and work environment

Current Employee - Information Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Information Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for progressing, great peers

Cons

None of the top of my head

None of the top of my head

It's a good place for beginners to learn the Freight Brokerage Business

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

They provide excellent online seminars. It's a leading name in the Transportation Industry

Cons

They play "favorites". They do not provide a level playing field for all their Agents. Unless you are one of their "chosen few" you cannot cover any Military Freight. Other Landstar Agents stab you in the back and steal your customers. The Landstar Revenue Processing Department does not tell you if there is a problem with any of the billing to the customers - you have to find it out for yourself after they cut off the customer credit for non-payment of bills. Upper Management does not listen very well - heck! Upper Management does not listen at all!

Provide a level playing field for all the Agents - not just your chosen few. In this tough economy, you need to allow all of us to be able to work with the Military - especially the more experienced Agents and the ones who have freinds/family in the Military who can provide opportunities. Listen to what your people are saying!

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I worked at Landstar System

Pros

Corporate training provided to learn new skills that are useful in any job. Fun place to work.

Cons

different locations seem to have different expectations of their employees

Hard to advace, managers love to tell you what you do wrong and never right.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Landstar System

Pros

Challenging, use of new technology, close relationship with Microsoft, IBM and other key vendors.

Cons

Management loves to tell you what you do wrong, but rarely, if ever, provide praise for things done right. The chances to grow there depend on who's backside you kiss not how good you are at your job. The employee reviews are a joke and you have to wait a year before taking vacation if you're a new hire.

More positive feed back to employees would go a long way towards making them ever happier.

Good, solid company but advancing can be difficult

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

Work/life balance
    Good Middle Mgmt
    Great Co-Workers

Cons

Career Advancement is not easy. It's kind of who you know vs. what you do
    Work can sometimes get repetitive due to the nature of the business
    If you like learning lots of new things and a fast paced environment this is not the place

Manual Quality Assurance Tester

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

You get a pay check twice a month

Cons

Management is horribly incapable. They buy software systems and allocate absolutely $0 towards training on this software. Please explain to the employees how they can be held accountable for using these systems when you provide them with absolutely no training. No Training. No Training. Did I mention they provide NO TRAINING? They recently had to ditch a data warehouse system that cost the company $1,000,000.00

It would be really nice if senior management would mingle with entry level folks, as well as the grunts on the first floor. The only time senior management bothers to come to the first floor is as they make their way towards the elevators. Senior Management NEVER tells other departments that they do a good job. When job reviews are done, employees NEVER get to give an opinion of their bosses, it is always done from a managers perspective of the employee. Gerkens NEVER visits folks on the first floor other than to eat at the Truckstop Cafe. He wouldn't know the names of employees if they met him at any other place socially. Gerkens wants Landstar to outperform J.B. Hunt Transport. How do you intend to do that Henry, while paying a whopping $0.20 dividend? No thanks, I'll put my money elsewhere.

I have been with Landstar going on twenty years as both Owner operator and now Agent.

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Flint, MI

I have been working at Landstar System

Pros

Landstar managers and VP's are always available to help with any issues you may have come up.

Cons

Asa in any company a few personel have given some other companies a bad taste with Landstar.

I feel that all regional sales agents should work together. Region cordinators should not be penalized for agents who work with other region mangers as we are all Landstar. we should all work together.