Lane Bryant

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.7

Linda Heasley

Pros
  • Employee discount was the biggest advantage working for the company (in 25 reviews)

• they have a great discount program and you can learn about new products and get those free (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth, not enough pay, lastly the pushing of the credit cards (in 28 reviews)

• No upper management in place when needed (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The company really cares about the employees

Cons

This company is in a major evolution and rebranding process, this means it may be difficult to keep up with the changing demands.

Not what I remember

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manassas, VA

Pros

They offer great discounts which is a plus!

Cons

They are not customer friendly in fact the managers talk about their staff and each other.

Open your eyes and Re-Staff. If you are unhappy, find another place of work.

AVOID THIS COMPANY and it hires teens as management ??

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Beckley, WV

Pros

Really, the only "pro" would be the employment discount, which was 40% to 50% off and sometimes 70% off clearance.

Cons

(1) They do not promote from within based on what I witnessed within nearly a year with LB. (2) Payroll hours are miniscule...part timers given 3 to 5 hours per week and they were trying to hire on even more staff??? Bad management--give the hours to your dependable, knowledgeable staff! (3) Pay rate stunk at minimum wage.

When I was hired, I was told by the acting manager that there would be management/key holder positions soon becoming available but the current holders of those positions were not yet aware of that. I was given the impression that she wanted me to fill one of those when available. Why, otherwise, give me that confidential information??

The ENTIRE staff was under 24 except for me; I was twice their age, but fit in well being young at heart. I became the leader in credit--writing about 75-85% of the store's credit MYSELF weekly, working 1 or 2 days per week! Yet I was never offered a promotion. The management received ZERO customer complaints about me (yet they did on themselves) while the management received continuous customer ACCOLADES about my helpfulness, friendliness and undivided attention to the customers and focusing on their needs; yet I was never offered a promotion! As a long term consumer and experienced adult and having management experience, I knew how to give customers an impeccable experience. But, instead of giving the Assistant Manager position to me--someone who knows the store, its product and gives impeccable customer service--the 21 year old manager hired a 19 year old from a restaurant who I later learned was an acquaintance! Someone of this age obviously cannot make sound decisions and shouldn't manage a store.

I resigned to work at another store where I was hired on to be a department manager to replace its soon-retiring manager. Almost full time hours and 40% more on the hour starting out, increasing to FT and a higher rate upon her retirement.

AVOID LANE BRYANT!!

To upper management: Use some sound judgement and insist your DMs MAKE STORE VISITS! (The DM for the store where I worked hadn't been there in more than 2-1/2 YEARS!! Secondly, encourage them to not hire on immature teens and adolescents as management. I hired on, although in my 40s, hoping to make a career at LB and was a very successful employee in credit and customer service and was never late or missed a shift. I was skipped over a total of three times within 10 months for a promotion even just for a PT keyholder. I'm the type of people you need managing; not moody, immature, vindictive youngsters. They're too immature and lack the experience (in work and life) to manage your stores. You're losing business due to these people! I witnessed it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on your manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Braintree, MA

Pros

great discount
    co-workers are fun
    decent product line
    benefits and pay are in line with market

Cons

lots of game playing, favorites are all set otherwise every woman for herself
    store schedule never balanced
    toleration of sub par work by DM favorites
    SM not up to the job
    not enough payroll to support company initiatives

Hold SM accountable, listen to and support other members of store management team. Post schedules at least a week in advance so that people can balance their lives. SM should allow other team members to have some responsibility so that the store will run more smoothly. If your SM isn't getting it done, replace her with someone who can. Lots of potential with proper leadership.

great company! I love working here

Pros

There are flexible hours and fun people to work with and the employees get a great discount, lots of great fashion and fun environment

Cons

mostly part time hours available, employees don't get all the discounts that are customers get, but we get other discounted prices on certain new items,

Love it

Pros

customers, co workers, discount,mall,beautiful clothes

Cons

retail hours, crabby customers, being on feet all day

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible scheduling,having the ability to make someone gain confidence

Cons

Some of the customers are rude but it could be worse.

Stop picking favorites between co-workers.Working with all females can be tiring as is.District managers need to be more involved

Nice People

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC

Pros

Nice discount with a wide variety of stores. Management is nice and the coworkers are easy to get along with.

Cons

Customers can be needy. You have to learn how to bra fit and be comfortable with other women's bodies (only a con if this is something you are not ok with).

Good for a resume builder

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Columbus, OH

Pros

Work was simple, office as a whole had ice cream days and other events, understand the basic principles of merchandising

Cons

Did not really learn anything about my major (merchandising), did a lot of busy work that was too easy/boring, did not feel like a member of the team

Better training for entry level employees at corporate offices

It's all about who you work with.

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Lead  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Portland, OR

Pros

The company is great. Discount is awesome. If a policy is not being followed, they take that seriously. This protects the company and the rest of the associates at the same time. There is a lot of good benefits in place, including an internal scholarship for those associates going through hard times.

Cons

Promotions only happen if there is a spot available. And promoting from within the company does not happen as much as hiring from outside the company. Raises happen about every two years, so minimum wage will catch up to you if you are making more. Corporate does not understand the balance of workload versus payroll that we are given. We cannot be the best customer champion if we have to focus on tasking.

To management higher than a district manager, work a day or a couple of days in the store. See what it actually takes to be at the store level and accomplish everything that is thrown at us. It is not just black and white, there is some blurred lines.

Worked for Lane Bryant? Contribute to the Community!