Lang-Nelson Associates

Updated May 1, 2014
Updated May 1, 2014
2.1

Frank Lang

Great place. I omly quit because I moved to new state.

Former Employee - Chef  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Chef in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and staff are excellent

Cons

Advancement. As chef only a few chef manager jobs

More positions

There is so much more out there...

Current Employee - Dining Room Coordinator  in  Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Dining Room Coordinator in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient off street parking, interaction with residents of Lang-Nelson. Teamwork is present although there is a clear divide between work areas.

Cons

burned-out, negative management style environment. Little room for promotions. Unresolved conflict and miscommunication shows in the finished product; thus affecting both work performance and residential atmosphere negatively.

Creating a positive work environment where all count in a team community would go a long way for morale. It is paramount for the residents well- being that staff create a positive, relaxed environment.

WORST company I have worked for

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator  in  Saint Anthony, MN
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Saint Anthony, MN

I have been working at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have nothing good to say.

Cons

While working for Lang Nelson I have never felt so low in my life. The management does their best to belittle you. They do not live up to their mission statement. The care staff is not heard. The residents were given inadequate care because of the low number of care attendants on staff. Think twice before accepting a job with this employer. You will find something better!

You do not know how to run an assisted living. Stick to apartments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst experience of my housing career.........

Former Employee - Housing Specialist
    Former Employee - Housing Specialist

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The concept of LN is good but not followed by corporate. "Above and Beyond"
    but they do not practice this in real life. They expect the staff to carry it out no matter the cost .

The Residents are good people (who are subjected to new managers on a regular bases.)

The employees on site work hard and are talented people,( but disrespected and unappreciated.

Tina in the front lines is amazing and a wonderful support!

Cons

Corporate is full of egos.. They place themselves as "the know all be all of property management" and they chase good people off with their blindness to what managers really do. They are stuck in a thought process that disregards people. They are extreme time wasters and do not trust the talented people they hire to actually do their jobs. All they care about is 100% occupancy and then in the same breathe now build a waiting list. They have no concept of what it means to really respect and treat people with consideration. When you are told it is an "expectation" that your residents "will "recruit prospects for the building it has gone to far. They have no boundaries with resident lives. Referrals are great but they are earned not demanded.
    It is a shame a real shame. They micro manage every detail and action of the sites. I wonder why they even hire managers and housing specialists. Every time the managers and housing specialists find ways to make their work easier and process smoother corporate steps in and changes it. The 3 on top can not stand having others actually do their jobs without their fingers in it. Wow that is so dysfunctional. It is a truly dysfunctional organization.

Change your ways or keep replacing people month after month... its not the people you hire its the unreasonable and unrealistic expectations you place on people. Stop belittling your employees, stop treating them like are incapable, Streamline your processes so the real work can get done with pride and enthusiasm. Seriously, 5 people need to sign off on a vacation request for 1 day???If your Property Manager can't make that decision maybe there is were the problem starts??At the top. Also, with the experience you have for walking people off the property you should learn how to do exit interviews and also supply a reason for letting people go. I have heard from others that the "I'm sure you know why I'm here" how unprofessional. Your desire to be exceptional needs to start at the top.. with real actions not lip service.. If you can't "walk the talk' then don't ask others to do it for you.

not appreciated after five years

Former Employee - Designer  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Designer in Phila, PA

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

easy to get to from philadelphia

Cons

no bonus or raise after five years

Lack of professional business practices and communication

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers were all nice. There was a great support system between managers and housing specialists because the threat, intimidation and degrading communication from upper management was something a measurable percentage of us were experiencing. The interview process was fun. The position sounded very exciting and they talked up my own experience. However, after accepting the position, those same people quickly began the string of behavior mentioned above.

Cons

Many empty promises were made. Whether it was due to miscommunication in upper management or false promises as a motivating tool is unknown to me. The promises would be communicated to the community manager, the community managers would communicate the promises to residents and future residents. This created a lot of upset residents. After being let go, for no reason specified, I found that many of the recommendations that I had communicated several times were enacted. The most disappointing experience with professionalism with this company is that I received a voicemail at 7:30pm on a Friday night stating I was no longer needed.

Lack of professionalism in upper management is where I see the majority of problems to transpire from.

Most awarded for a reason!

Former Employee - Maint Tech  in  Saint Louis Park, MN
    Former Employee - Maint Tech in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates

Pros

Super supportive of customer service and excellent positive upbeat communication really assist employees in being their best! The owners and property managers truly care about the people more than the dollars...refreshing :)

Cons

I'd like to have had more opportunity to be involved in the selling/renting aspect of the company. The "Housing Specialists" were a bit snooty and kept others from getting involved with filling the property.

Allow the little people to have a voice and make the managers and sales people more open minded to getting rental leads from fellow employees.

Years of dedicated service and exemplorary work was rewarded with threats and intimidation.

I have been working at Lang-Nelson Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can't think of any pro to working in this type of environment, except how much I appreciate working for a company with integrity after working for Lang Nelson, They do not use good, honest business practices. If a company will abuse its customers, it makes sense that they will not treat their employees well.

Cons

The good review above was no doubt written by a member of the Lang Nelson corporate staff. The verbiage used is exactly what they tell you when you are hired. But, if you in fact need and ask for their help and direction you are ridiculed and threatened. You are expected to live and breathe your property, even told to stay until 11PM at night if necessary. Run, don't walk away from this company. Their are many other more reputable companies to work for.

Terrible place to work. All employees are disposable.

I worked at Lang-Nelson Associates

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company.

Cons

Employees are not paid for the time they are required to work. The benefit package is small compared to other companies of their size and smaller. The medical insurance offered is too expensive for most to be able to afford and the portion paid by LN is small. The retirement plan is a joke. They charge huge rents but yet pay their employees little. They do not want employees with children. They want employees that will dedicate 24/7 to them with nothing except threats and intimidation in return. Terrible work environment.

Frank Lang and Gene Nelson need to take a good long look at the upper management staff they are entrusting their company to. There are many shady things that go on that they are not aware of. Any other company would of cleaned house of them long ago. If they did this they would have a much more successful company for everyone.

Worked for Lang-Nelson Associates? Contribute to the Community!