Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Updated October 13, 2014
4.0

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 5 reviews)

• Good work environment with a group of highly qualified staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work-life balance at Langan, at least at the levels below Stockholder (in 6 reviews)

• Understaffed, so long hours (sometimes 60 (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Clients matter just as much as employees matter!

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities for learning, professional growth and development - making sure employees have the appropriate tools and resources they need to do well here. Terrific opportunity for advancement and to interact with individuals of varying disciplines and levels to provide better work and learning experience.

Cons

nothing major that I would consider a true "con" or big downside - there are some longer days or extra hours but nothing I wasn't prepared for and it's just the nature of the consulting industry. Hard work is rewarded, and I feel appreciated for going that extra mile or putting in those extra hours when needed.

Very challenging, overworked.

Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provided the most recent software to complete projects. There were quality resources available for completing Cad project. There was the opportunity to get involved in different types of engineering, if you had a flexible manager.

Cons

While teamwork is emphasized, I was not allowed to leave the office until the following day to complete work for a deadline. The field work I completed was usually very unpleasant: Standard Penetration Tests in contaminated areas. T

Listen to the concerns brought up about hours, about salary, about career interests.

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Watch your back

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Will spend money to tout that they have the best and latest models of everything in every discipline. If you are one of the "chosen ones" or the type of person who would rather be subservient to management than work hard and have a desire to help others you will do fine here. However, at the lower levels the people are outstanding, great to work with and will work as a team to help each other out. To the hard workers...do not expect a thank you.

Cons

HUGE corporate atmosphere exists in some offices. Management will tell clients whatever they want to hear to win the work and then give these unrealistic expectations and deadlines to the staff who somehow have to get it done in the field and in the office. Late nights, weekends, overnights, get ready to do it in every discipline. Money is average, however, until you are Senior PM level DO NO expect to be rewarded with generous raises or outstanding bonuses. Be smart and watch your back, mngmt will tell you that you mean the world, but the minute the door closes you are the enemy. Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors. Engineering disciplines is well respected, survey, no so much, IT gets it done.

You are doing fine. Keep losing the good people..the ones who do the work..who have the right attitude and the ones whom everyone wants to work with or work for... but keep the lazy ones, the butt kissers and the ones who do not speak. You will eventually get the group of minions and robots you so desire.

Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Great amount of work always busy

Cons

Often we worked 7 days per week

Internship Review

Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really great people to work with. They trusted me with a lot of responsibility and were very receptive to any questions I had. Overall a great experience.

Cons

Timesheet submittals were a bit of a pain, but that is the nature of the industry. It's all about being "billable", which would be one of the drawbacks. Stressing over being "billable" and it's tremendous impact on your evaluation was one of the aspects which I liked least. However, this is how they make money.

Upper management - continue being involved with interns, engineers, and middle management. I liked that there was an element of team unity.

Good opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Good management and interesting high profile projects

Cons

Tight deadlines to meet from time to time

Good company, bad salary

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Challenging work environment, lots of room for growth.The management expects a lot from the junior staff, lot of pressure to keep the billability high, which is good in the long run.

Cons

Low base salary, average benefits

The pot of profit should be shared between all employees.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Photos