Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel

David T. Gockel

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Langan is a great place to work!

Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsLangan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

ConsOur commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsGreat amount of work always busy

ConsOften we worked 7 days per week

Internship Review

Site/Civil Intern (Former Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsReally great people to work with. They trusted me with a lot of responsibility and were very receptive to any questions I had. Overall a great experience.

ConsTimesheet submittals were a bit of a pain, but that is the nature of the industry. It's all about being "billable", which would be one of the drawbacks. Stressing over being "billable" and it's tremendous impact on your evaluation was one of the aspects which I liked least. However, this is how they make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management - continue being involved with interns, engineers, and middle management. I liked that there was an element of team unity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunities

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsGood management and interesting high profile projects

ConsTight deadlines to meet from time to time

It's been interesting..if you can't separate work from life then you will drown quickly.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsAlways looking to make sure employees have the latest in software and hardware. Plenty of offerings for training and school.

ConsThere is no clear cut way to work your way up the ladder. Years of experience, degrees, looks, who knows. The company is too top heavy with upper managers. In addition when you have 300 managers in a company of 700 there is too many hens in the hen house trying to manage. Super high billing rates and low salaries for staff is pushing all of the profit to the upper managers to pad their bonuses, car allowances and better benefits. Extremely poor raises not covering cost of living at a minimum but yet all employees are working 40-60 hr work weeks is proving costly to keeping the current assortment of middle managers and employees with that 8-16 yrs of experience range. Opportunity to move up the ladder seems to be given to those who kiss the right backsides and never disagree with upper management, than to those who have proven they have the knowledge, work ethic and demeanor to be a leader and an example of what to strive for to those at the bottom of the ladder. Senior managers and higher seem to have a disconnect to the PM's and staff. They are holding on the cusp of either failing as a firm or becoming a force to be reckoned with around the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk about retention and the ability to advance within Langan. If you want to retain the current staff start with money and working conditions. Give us the incentive to stay. Most of us are leaving not just for the same salary or for a few bucks more but more importantly better working conditions. Normal hours, no blackberries for every single person and the ability to separate work from our personal lives. Start asking staff what could Langan do to keep you here or make you enjoy it here more. Why not start paying straight time OT to salaried people as well. Or some stock or share ownership of the firm to those who are the managing level and above. Try summer hours from when the clocks are set forward thru October. 4 day work weeks is a massive incentive and a huge morale booster. Something needs to be adjusted when you have more associates, senior associates, principals, etc than staff. And there is such a tremendous disconnect between lower management and upper management with regards to salary bonuses, etc, that no one wants to do it and lose their OT.

Good company, bad salary

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsChallenging work environment, lots of room for growth.The management expects a lot from the junior staff, lot of pressure to keep the billability high, which is good in the long run.

ConsLow base salary, average benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pot of profit should be shared between all employees.

Stellar company offering innovative results.

Site/Civil Intern (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing tightly knit company
    Very Professional, yet reasonably laid back
    As an intern I am learning so much practical information from my office and on-site experience

ConsThere aren't really any aside from the 9 hour work days.

Sweatshop

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsUp to date technology and software

ConsCompared to similar firms Langan has much higher billing rates but lower salaries and benefits...so where is that money going? Upper management. They take WAY too big a piece of the pie leaving little left for everyone else. Unless you are upper management, of which there are way too many for a firm this size, or the one or two people those managers have selected as their personal pets earmarked for promotion you don't stand a chance at a successful career at this cesspool of a firm. The pathetic pay is also balanced out nicely with being treated poorly by management and excessively overworked. Unless you're a sadist, stay as far away from Langan as you can!!! It's incredibly frustrating when you're working 12 hour days and struggling to make mortgage payments because your raise doesn't even cover annual cost of living increases and your supervisor is out the door at 5:00 and is talking about renovating his beach house and has a new mercedes every six months.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou only care about yourselves and I doubt any advice I provide would change that. You're the reason this company is a failure. Sure the firm makes money (which only you enjoy the benefits of) but you're still a failure on many important and significant levels. The division between upper management and staff/middle-management is grotesque.

Fair

Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsLearn a lot and opportunity for growth

ConsDemands a lot of work and time

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management and upper level "staff" aren't nearly appreciated enough.

Very poor work environment

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Elmwood Park, NJ

Prosgreat benefits, good jobs if you are an engineer but if you are support staff it sucks

Conspoor leadership, very little up-ward mobility, very low retention rate, high stress and low reward business, poor communication, lousy people

Worked for Langan Engineering and Environmental Services? Contribute to the Community!

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Videos

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services – Why Work for Us?

​​Live and Work with Passion, Pride and Integrity At Langan we are passionate about what we do. We are committed to our employees helping them to achieve their personal and professional goals through innovative… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services reviews and ratings in Elmwood Park, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Langan Engineering and Environmental Services CEO David T. Gockel. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Langan Engineering and Environmental Services employees.