Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Watch your back

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Will spend money to tout that they have the best and latest models of everything in every discipline. If you are one of the "chosen ones" or the type of person who would rather be subservient to management than work hard and have a desire to help others you will do fine here. However, at the lower levels the people are outstanding, great to work with and will work as a team to help each other out. To the hard workers...do not expect a thank you.

Cons

HUGE corporate atmosphere exists in some offices. Management will tell clients whatever they want to hear to win the work and then give these unrealistic expectations and deadlines to the staff who somehow have to get it done in the field and in the office. Late nights, weekends, overnights, get ready to do it in every discipline. Money is average, however, until you are Senior PM level DO NO expect to be rewarded with generous raises or outstanding bonuses. Be smart and watch your back, mngmt will tell you that you mean the world, but the minute the door closes you are the enemy. Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors. Engineering disciplines is well respected, survey, no so much, IT gets it done.

You are doing fine. Keep losing the good people..the ones who do the work..who have the right attitude and the ones whom everyone wants to work with or work for... but keep the lazy ones, the butt kissers and the ones who do not speak. You will eventually get the group of minions and robots you so desire.

Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Great amount of work always busy

Cons

Often we worked 7 days per week

Internship Review

Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really great people to work with. They trusted me with a lot of responsibility and were very receptive to any questions I had. Overall a great experience.

Cons

Timesheet submittals were a bit of a pain, but that is the nature of the industry. It's all about being "billable", which would be one of the drawbacks. Stressing over being "billable" and it's tremendous impact on your evaluation was one of the aspects which I liked least. However, this is how they make money.

Upper management - continue being involved with interns, engineers, and middle management. I liked that there was an element of team unity.

Good opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Good management and interesting high profile projects

Cons

Tight deadlines to meet from time to time

Good company, bad salary

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work environment, lots of room for growth.The management expects a lot from the junior staff, lot of pressure to keep the billability high, which is good in the long run.

Cons

Low base salary, average benefits

The pot of profit should be shared between all employees.

Stellar company offering innovative results.

Current Employee - Site/Civil Intern  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Site/Civil Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing tightly knit company
    Very Professional, yet reasonably laid back
    As an intern I am learning so much practical information from my office and on-site experience

Cons

There aren't really any aside from the 9 hour work days.

Sweatshop

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Up to date technology and software

Cons

Compared to similar firms Langan has much higher billing rates but lower salaries and benefits...so where is that money going? Upper management. They take WAY too big a piece of the pie leaving little left for everyone else. Unless you are upper management, of which there are way too many for a firm this size, or the one or two people those managers have selected as their personal pets earmarked for promotion you don't stand a chance at a successful career at this cesspool of a firm. The pathetic pay is also balanced out nicely with being treated poorly by management and excessively overworked. Unless you're a sadist, stay as far away from Langan as you can!!! It's incredibly frustrating when you're working 12 hour days and struggling to make mortgage payments because your raise doesn't even cover annual cost of living increases and your supervisor is out the door at 5:00 and is talking about renovating his beach house and has a new mercedes every six months.

You only care about yourselves and I doubt any advice I provide would change that. You're the reason this company is a failure. Sure the firm makes money (which only you enjoy the benefits of) but you're still a failure on many important and significant levels. The division between upper management and staff/middle-management is grotesque.

Fair

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Learn a lot and opportunity for growth

Cons

Demands a lot of work and time

Middle management and upper level "staff" aren't nearly appreciated enough.

Worked for Langan Engineering and Environmental Services? Contribute to the Community!