Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

• New York City, NY Area
4.4
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

1. Coudln't Imagine Working Anywhere Else!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Langan is a great company to work for. They treat their employees well, offering salaries that are competative with other similar firms, opportunities for bonuses, challenging projects, and the necessary resources to get the job done and done well! I have been at Langan for over 15 years and have advanced my career through these years. The work environment is good with lots of great people that are not only great at what they do but are people that I can call my friends! Langan creates a family environment offering opportunties to attend baseball games, holiday parties, themed lunches, etc. They have started to offer more flexible/mobile work opportunities with the introduction of laptops and use of VPNs so that you can connect to the network remotely.

Cons

Work life balance has in the past has been challenging but it is defintely getting better with the introduction of more fexible/mobile work opportunties!

They also need to offer more project managment training.

2. Langan undertakes challenging engineering projects and provides the necessary resources to complete these projects.

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging Projects, Great Working Environment, Encourages Growth, Youth, Great Resources

Cons

Can be very demanding, stressful, and competitive at times.

3. Langan is a competitive firm, perfect for those who are looking for a challenging and rewarding place to work for sure.

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

There are many talented people at Langan, from the experienced knowledgeable senior management to the fresh new engineers out of school. At Langan everyone can largely control their destiny. The time you put in is compensated fairly. Innovative and creative atmosphere exists in most design teams.

Cons

Company culture is to be the best and to achieve this may be draining to some folks.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open and make strategy adjustments based on the collective feedback from all employees. Identify imminent burn-out-potential employees and take decisive actions to improve the situation through communication and discussion of options.

5. Easily the best company I've ever worked for.

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Fast paced work environment with very good people. Interesting and challenging projects. High emphasis on continued training and support to do so (financially and otherwise). Bonuses are excellent. Compensation and benefits are competitive. Wage increases over time keep up with competitors (unlike in many other companies where you need to leave to get a decent raise).

Cons

Work-life balance has been improving but there is more to do. Fast paced environment means it is definitely not a place for people looking to coast through.

Advice to Management

Although management appears to have the best interest of the employees at heart more transparency would help to gain trust. Disparity between upper management and middle management.

Clients matter just as much as employees matter!

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

Advice to Management

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

7. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities for learning, professional growth and development - making sure employees have the appropriate tools and resources they need to do well here. Terrific opportunity for advancement and to interact with individuals of varying disciplines and levels to provide better work and learning experience.

Cons

nothing major that I would consider a true "con" or big downside - there are some longer days or extra hours but nothing I wasn't prepared for and it's just the nature of the consulting industry. Hard work is rewarded, and I feel appreciated for going that extra mile or putting in those extra hours when needed.

8. Very challenging, overworked.

Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provided the most recent software to complete projects. There were quality resources available for completing Cad project. There was the opportunity to get involved in different types of engineering, if you had a flexible manager.

Cons

While teamwork is emphasized, I was not allowed to leave the office until the following day to complete work for a deadline. The field work I completed was usually very unpleasant: Standard Penetration Tests in contaminated areas. T

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns brought up about hours, about salary, about career interests.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Will spend money to tout that they have the best and latest models of everything in every discipline. If you are one of the "chosen ones" or the type of person who would rather be subservient to management than work hard and have a desire to help others you will do fine here. However, at the lower levels the people are outstanding, great to work with and will work as a team to help each other out. To the hard workers...do not expect a thank you.

Cons

HUGE corporate atmosphere exists in some offices. Management will tell clients whatever they want to hear to win the work and then give these unrealistic expectations and deadlines to the staff who somehow have to get it done in the field and in the office. Late nights, weekends, overnights, get ready to do it in every discipline. Money is average, however, until you are Senior PM level DO NO expect to be rewarded with generous raises or outstanding bonuses. Be smart and watch your back, mngmt will tell you that you mean the world, but the minute the door closes you are the enemy. Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors. Engineering disciplines is well respected, survey, no so much, IT gets it done.

Advice to Management

You are doing fine. Keep losing the good people..the ones who do the work..who have the right attitude and the ones whom everyone wants to work with or work for... but keep the lazy ones, the butt kissers and the ones who do not speak. You will eventually get the group of minions and robots you so desire.

College Internship Experience

Current Intern - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Intern - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

11. Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

Advice to Management

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Photos