Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Watch your back

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Will spend money to tout that they have the best and latest models of everything in every discipline. If you are one of the "chosen ones" or the type of person who would rather be subservient to management than work hard and have a desire to help others you will do fine here. However, at the lower levels the people are outstanding, great to work with and will work as a team to help each other out. To the hard workers...do not expect a thank you.

Cons

HUGE corporate atmosphere exists in some offices. Management will tell clients whatever they want to hear to win the work and then give these unrealistic expectations and deadlines to the staff who somehow have to get it done in the field and in the office. Late nights, weekends, overnights, get ready to do it in every discipline. Money is average, however, until you are Senior PM level DO NO expect to be rewarded with generous raises or outstanding bonuses. Be smart and watch your back, mngmt will tell you that you mean the world, but the minute the door closes you are the enemy. Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors. Engineering disciplines is well respected, survey, no so much, IT gets it done.

You are doing fine. Keep losing the good people..the ones who do the work..who have the right attitude and the ones whom everyone wants to work with or work for... but keep the lazy ones, the butt kissers and the ones who do not speak. You will eventually get the group of minions and robots you so desire.

Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vibrant growing company willing to tackle any job and preform professionally.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional atmosphere, well structured, latest technology, great IT department, and always lots of work to do

Cons

Sometimes stuck with older methods of engineering

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Great amount of work always busy

Cons

Often we worked 7 days per week

Great Company but too much OT required (work/life balance doesn't exist)

Current Employee - Administrative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

great company, great benefits, nice fun people ...

Cons

demands placed on you typically far exceed normal human tolerances; work.usually expected to be completed in an unrealistic time frame (deadlines, deadlines and more deadlines)

poor project management, too many protocols to be followed for simple things

not willing to change things even if it's for the better of the firm

listen to your admin staff, pay attention to their concerns

Internship Review

Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site/Civil Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really great people to work with. They trusted me with a lot of responsibility and were very receptive to any questions I had. Overall a great experience.

Cons

Timesheet submittals were a bit of a pain, but that is the nature of the industry. It's all about being "billable", which would be one of the drawbacks. Stressing over being "billable" and it's tremendous impact on your evaluation was one of the aspects which I liked least. However, this is how they make money.

Upper management - continue being involved with interns, engineers, and middle management. I liked that there was an element of team unity.

Good opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Good management and interesting high profile projects

Cons

Tight deadlines to meet from time to time

A Good Experience for the Right Type of Individual

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work on great projects with high visibility, support from a world-class marketing mindset, ability to learn great soft skills, technical excellence

Cons

Not for everyone - some lower level staff work long hours and may be isolated from the bigger picture until they get more experience.

Try to engage entry-level staff more on projects, and consider including their anonymous feedback in the annual review of managers.

Work/Life Balance? Yeah, right!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

-- They pay a premium
    -- There is no shortage of work
    -- There is plenty of client contact, which means networking possibilities are limitless

Cons

-- They pay a premium, but the demands placed on you typically far exceed normal human tolerances.
    -- There is no shortage of work...and it's usually expected to be completed in an unrealistic time frame
    -- Inter-discipline infighting is ridiculous. It is a dysfunctional company.
    -- How many more times are we going to change health insurance companies? They supposedly improve, with the cost being more to the employee, yet the raises we've gotten don't even cover the cost increase...,much less the cost-of-living increase.
    -- This is a top-heavy company. They need a cover letter just for the letterhead alone. Seriously, how were you promoting people in a down economy???

We're not dumb. We understand that there is the primary bottom line of profit. But I routinely see the underlings coming in early and staying late while most, if not all of the associates, senior associates, etc. are coming in later and leaving early. You have recently preached a work/life balance...and then expect the underpaid and unappreciated underlings to sacrifice the latter half of that equation for your personal satisfaction. Ever wonder why there has been a mass exodus of mid-level employees in the last year-and-a-half with the bulk of them taking lesser-paying jobs for the shot at being able to breathe?

Can you believe that we were supposed to be EXCITED about the acquisition of Treadwell & Rollo while they were telling us there was no money for bonuses or raises? It was a complete and utter insult and an outright slap in the face.

Worked for Langan Engineering and Environmental Services? Contribute to the Community!