Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Updated January 22, 2015
3.8

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 5 reviews)

• Good work environment with a group of highly qualified staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work-life balance at Langan, at least at the levels below Stockholder (in 6 reviews)

• Understaffed, so long hours (sometimes 60 (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked as an intern for the summer and the company provided great field experience.

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The office culture was relaxed but work oriented which made it easy to go to work every day. The employees enjoyed their jobs.

Cons

Work in the field often had long hours each day, but was made up for in the paycheck.

Disorganized, unknowledgeable, IT team I've seen

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

kissing the managements you-know-what was the extend of the work. Be ready to move around computers, smile, play with 1,000s of wires untangling them, move crap around, repeat.

Cons

learn nothing. Company IT team uses SCCM, however, none of the employees, including management understand how to use it. no one is SCCM certified. Management style should focus on this, instead, focused on micro management and fixing the managements mistakes. Complete waste of my time.

Learn how to use the technology you have. update your SCCM, still using 2007..... have your employees LEARN how to use SCCM, Polycom, and the rest of your technology, this is your only job!!! an engineer in this company would be able to do a better job. completely unprofessional and the lack of communication is strong with this one. unable to effectively communicate among one another. pitiful work environment, cover-ups on management's mistakes

Great place to work with professional, hard working people.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The office is expanding its size, which is a good sign in this job market. The office environment is friendly and eager to help the newly hired staff. The buddy program is very helpful and the company believes in job longevity. It is not unusal to meet an employee that has been with Langan for 10, 15, 20..even 40 years!

Cons

Sometimes, I wish that there was a shuttle bus to and from the other site locations. I'd like to visit the other sites to meet people face-to-face that I work on a daily basis with.

I'd like to personally thank you for hiring the best of the best. I've worked in many great companies with a few great people, but at Langan I've never met a slacker, yet!

Good Internship

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer
    Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer

Pros

- Nice people, great human resources department
    - A lot of great people to work with
    - Interesting projects
    - Room for professional advancement
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Understaffed, so long hours (sometimes 60+ hours/week)
    - Could have better compensation
    - Commuting to far job sites can be a hassle, although you are compensated for it

Clients matter just as much as employees matter!

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

Well managed through continual growth

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Strong corporate processes. Teams are small and cohesive. A lot of attention is paid to work-life balance.

Cons

For a small to mid-size company, they seem to make decisions slowly.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities for learning, professional growth and development - making sure employees have the appropriate tools and resources they need to do well here. Terrific opportunity for advancement and to interact with individuals of varying disciplines and levels to provide better work and learning experience.

Cons

nothing major that I would consider a true "con" or big downside - there are some longer days or extra hours but nothing I wasn't prepared for and it's just the nature of the consulting industry. Hard work is rewarded, and I feel appreciated for going that extra mile or putting in those extra hours when needed.

Very challenging, overworked.

Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company provided the most recent software to complete projects. There were quality resources available for completing Cad project. There was the opportunity to get involved in different types of engineering, if you had a flexible manager.

Cons

While teamwork is emphasized, I was not allowed to leave the office until the following day to complete work for a deadline. The field work I completed was usually very unpleasant: Standard Penetration Tests in contaminated areas. T

Listen to the concerns brought up about hours, about salary, about career interests.

Love It!

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Great office atmosphere and a great variety of projects to work on. Awesome benefits!

Cons

Be more flexible with the working hours. Need to inverse the pyramid.

Keep

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Photos