Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Reset
4.2
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 5 reviews)

• Langan provides great opportunities and a positive work environment for their employees to grow and advance their careers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• This value sometimes results in working long hours to meet a client's construction schedule (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Really great projects to work on. Langan works with some of the top architects and developers in the world.
    - The people are mostly top talent. Slackers get cut and the best rise. You are actually acknowledged for your accomplishments and work.
    - Most organized company I ever worked for without being too corporate.

Cons

- Pay could be better for those in top tier cities, such as New York or San Fran, however understand that it is nature of the construction industry itself. Unfortunately can't get banker salaries due to nature of the projects and fees, thus making it hard to achieve a 'comfortable' lifestyle in these markets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Top Tier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Opportunity to work on the most high-profile structures in the US and international (including the tallest building in the world, stadiums, etc.)
    2) Very collaborative office culture
    3) Plenty of training opportunities
    4) Some of the smartest people I know
    5) Growing firm, which means opportunity for staff growth

Cons

1) Work-life balance can be a challenge, though management is working to improve it
    2) Training for new (out of school) employees is a bit under-average to where it should/could be
    3) Corporate governance is not ideal - the firm is pretty much "owned" by a couple shareholders (though that's also improving)

Advice to Management

1) Keep investing in (additional) training
    2) Allow technical employees to have a (slightly) lower billability in return for insightful publications that improve firm brand
    3) Invest in recruiting top talent. Langan should be on the top list of every engineering student

3. Good Comapny

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

ALOT of work on high profile job

Cons

ALOT of work with high demnads,Very top heavy comapany

Advice to Management

Hiring more lower level employees who are willing to work and stay with the company longer than a few years

5. Overrated. Sweatshop.

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

You will get lots of experience whether you want it or not.

Cons

Lots of sharks. If you aren't one, you need to become one. You better be a workaholic and have few ethics.

Advice to Management

Experience the world outside of your job.

6. great place

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Fun, challenging work fit for learning

Cons

Long hours and sometimes slowly developing projects

7. For those that wish to be challenged

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lawrence, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lawrence, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved from a regulatory agency to Langan because I wanted to get my hands on large and complicated projects and am yet to be disappointed, an average week for me has me bouncing typically between 3-5 varying and rotating projects. My prior experience in regulation gave me enough insight into what companies were doing the kind of work I wanted to be involved with and my list was effectively Langan and 2 other companies, they offered me the best opportunity to move between projects in the way that I wanted and I accepted the offer.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the work that I do, but I also understand that I am the type of person that likes putting in extra hours to make sure things are finished on a consistent basis.

8. Very progressive and open company, many benefits, very flexible and challenging projects. Top notch design firm.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in New York, NY

Pros

The principals and associates that head the offices are some of the best leaders around. Very understanding people. The office culture is great, very relaxed and positive. Very training focused.

Cons

Certain project managers are so informal it seems out of place. Many employees do not dress very professionally. Vacation policy could be a little better.

Advice to Management

project managers should be held at the highest standard. They should be expected to be flexible with their staff, act and dress very professionally.

9. Once exiting, you no longer belong.

Former Employee - Senior Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Staff

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large pool of professionals with varying experiences to draw upon.

Cons

Once classified as "staff" you become a third degree citizen, expected to work 60-hrs for 40-hrs pay. Company associates and principals create a barriers that does not allow direct conversations and limits professional growth. Expect to wait 3-5 year before any real attention is given, or any salaries increase.

Advice to Management

Bring your soul back to earth, connect with staff directly, not thru third and forth parties.

10. Langan Review

Pros

Large corportation means great benefits and large pool of talent to help with a variety of projects. Also they have reputation of being the right and it shows.

Cons

Large corportation means things tends to happen slowly. However, they do listen to ideas and willing to implement them if they are good ones.

Advice to Management

Lookout for weak leaks in the chage.

11. Coudln't Imagine Working Anywhere Else!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Langan is a great company to work for. They treat their employees well, offering salaries that are competative with other similar firms, opportunities for bonuses, challenging projects, and the necessary resources to get the job done and done well! I have been at Langan for over 15 years and have advanced my career through these years. The work environment is good with lots of great people that are not only great at what they do but are people that I can call my friends! Langan creates a family environment offering opportunties to attend baseball games, holiday parties, themed lunches, etc. They have started to offer more flexible/mobile work opportunities with the introduction of laptops and use of VPNs so that you can connect to the network remotely.

Cons

Work life balance has in the past has been challenging but it is defintely getting better with the introduction of more fexible/mobile work opportunties!

They also need to offer more project managment training.

RSS Feed </> Embed