Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Updated October 13, 2014
3.8

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • Challenging work environment, great staff, very supportive upper management (in 5 reviews)

• great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work-life balance at Langan, at least at the levels below Stockholder (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Clients matter just as much as employees matter!

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

Well managed through continual growth

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Strong corporate processes. Teams are small and cohesive. A lot of attention is paid to work-life balance.

Cons

For a small to mid-size company, they seem to make decisions slowly.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities for learning, professional growth and development - making sure employees have the appropriate tools and resources they need to do well here. Terrific opportunity for advancement and to interact with individuals of varying disciplines and levels to provide better work and learning experience.

Cons

nothing major that I would consider a true "con" or big downside - there are some longer days or extra hours but nothing I wasn't prepared for and it's just the nature of the consulting industry. Hard work is rewarded, and I feel appreciated for going that extra mile or putting in those extra hours when needed.

Very challenging, overworked.

Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provided the most recent software to complete projects. There were quality resources available for completing Cad project. There was the opportunity to get involved in different types of engineering, if you had a flexible manager.

Cons

While teamwork is emphasized, I was not allowed to leave the office until the following day to complete work for a deadline. The field work I completed was usually very unpleasant: Standard Penetration Tests in contaminated areas. T

Listen to the concerns brought up about hours, about salary, about career interests.

Love It!

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Great office atmosphere and a great variety of projects to work on. Awesome benefits!

Cons

Be more flexible with the working hours. Need to inverse the pyramid.

Keep

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Watch your back

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Will spend money to tout that they have the best and latest models of everything in every discipline. If you are one of the "chosen ones" or the type of person who would rather be subservient to management than work hard and have a desire to help others you will do fine here. However, at the lower levels the people are outstanding, great to work with and will work as a team to help each other out. To the hard workers...do not expect a thank you.

Cons

HUGE corporate atmosphere exists in some offices. Management will tell clients whatever they want to hear to win the work and then give these unrealistic expectations and deadlines to the staff who somehow have to get it done in the field and in the office. Late nights, weekends, overnights, get ready to do it in every discipline. Money is average, however, until you are Senior PM level DO NO expect to be rewarded with generous raises or outstanding bonuses. Be smart and watch your back, mngmt will tell you that you mean the world, but the minute the door closes you are the enemy. Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors. Engineering disciplines is well respected, survey, no so much, IT gets it done.

You are doing fine. Keep losing the good people..the ones who do the work..who have the right attitude and the ones whom everyone wants to work with or work for... but keep the lazy ones, the butt kissers and the ones who do not speak. You will eventually get the group of minions and robots you so desire.

A VERY BIG SWEATSHOP

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Lawrenceville, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small projects so you have to be innovative to fit the solution in low budget.

Cons

You will have to overwork and can not bill it due to low balling during proposal. High mutiplies and low salaries. Profit sharing is ridiculous. The stockholder keeps most of the money. Passion is overrated and overutilized untill you get sick or your worklife balance is way out of whack.

Give your employee some room to breath and treat them nicely. After all your were in their shoes some day.

Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Unless you like to be overworked and under-appreciated, look elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Certain groups provide flexibility with time. If you are lucky, you will work on cool and interesting projects. The people, generally-speaking, are friendly and nice. The benefits are ok (health insurance, 401K matching, educational reimbursement, employee referral bonuses, etc.)

Cons

They work you hard. A lot of of the managers are workaholics, and thus expect their employees to be too. Work-life balance is nonexistent. In some groups, taking a lot of vacation time (even though you earned it!) is frowned upon. Some groups' managers use fear and threats to beat down employees and get work out of them. HR is absolutely no help when you have issues, including very serious issues. The IT and marketing departments are subpar. Working up the career ladder is hard - there's no clear goals or way to the top. Some people just seem to get there while others are left behind for no good reason. There's a lot of brown-nosing and the company is very top heavy. Langan tends to hire in managers from outside companies, making it more difficult for staff within the company to move up. Additionally, senior staff tend to be given project management duties, but aren't promoted, and are expected to keep their billability high, which is tough to do if you want any semblance of a life outside work. People at the staff and senior staff levels have been leaving recently and morale is low, although management seems to not notice this. Additionally, pay and bonuses are provided unfairly/unequally. People at the same level can make very different amounts for their salary and be rewarded very differently with bonuses, even if everyone is working hard. Also, on top of the 50-60 hours a week you may work, you are also expected to actively participate in professional societies and other out-of-work things that eat into your time but you aren't paid for. Not to mention that you are expected to bring in clients and do business development once you are senior staff and above, in your spare time.

Allow for more work-life balance. Happier and healthier employees are more productive than burned out ones. Stop creating an "every man for himself" competitive environment. Stop allowing the profit margin to be the only thing you care about. Your employees and human talent are the most important thing in this company - treat them as such. Give us more incentives to stay, otherwise you will continue to lose people at the staff, senior staff and PM levels. Share more of the profits with the people who actually do all the work - the lower staff, senior staff and PMs. It seems with the billing rates we use that we should be getting paid more. Instead, that money either goes to the upper management for their car allowances and other perks, or we are just really bad at managing money in this company - it has to be one of those two options. Create clear pathways up the corporate ladder so we understand how to advance our careers. Hire better HR and IT staff.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Photos