Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Reset
4.1
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 5 reviews)

• Langan provides great opportunities and a positive work environment for their employees to grow and advance their careers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• This value sometimes results in working long hours to meet a client's construction schedule (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Really great projects to work on. Langan works with some of the top architects and developers in the world. - The people are mostly top talent. Slackers get cut and the best rise. You are actually acknowledged for your accomplishments and work. - Most organized company I ever worked for without being too corporate.

Cons

- Pay could be better for those in top tier cities, such as New York or San Fran, however understand that it is nature of the construction industry itself. Unfortunately can't get banker salaries due to nature of the projects and fees, thus making it hard to achieve a 'comfortable' lifestyle in these markets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. A great company in it's field. Could have better work life balance.

Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services (More than a year)

Pros

A large firm with lots of different projects. When work got slow on my main project, I helped out a separate office for a few months instead of being laid off. Work is somewhat varied depending on the project and how far along it is. Most of the people are very nice in all of the offices I've visited. They offer 3 weeks of vacation accrual maximum without needing to use it by the end of the year, and you can elect to accrue comp time as well for overtime in the field. Lots of training is available. Yearly bonuses if it's been a good year, usually annual raises.

Cons

Work-life balance can be hard at times. Some people are 8:30-5:15 everyday while others always stay until 6 or 7. Some people expect lots of overtime, and it's difficult to provide if you want to spend time not working, especially if you have a long commute. There are also weekend workshops that are held that are encouraged, but not mandatory, although it sometimes seems that way. Not sure how difficult it is to go up the ladder, but it seems they hire a good amount of upper management instead of advancing people who are already there.

3. A Great Place to Work

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

There are a lot of good people working at Langan, and a good manager will shield you from some of the nonsense that exists in every company. Our industry is very cyclical and when the inevitable recessions hit, upper management has traditionally taken significant pay cuts to retain as much staff as possible.

Cons

There is no career path into leadership-level positions for highly skilled technical employees. To advance your career beyond a certain point, you must be able to actively bring in work. Unless you can sell, your career will eventually stall - even if you maintain specialized technical skills that are in high demand.

Advice to Management

There are valuable technical employees who may not be rain makers. Provide a technical path to leadership for such employees, or they will eventually look elsewhere. Also, it is time to consider a formal telecommuting policy.

5. Staff engineer

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multiple and changing responsibilities. Ability to work in the office and also in the field. Young and agreeable coworkers. A chance to work on concrete projects in your area.

Cons

Mediocre pay and relatively high stress levels. Expectations to under charge your hours and go above and beyond by not billing hours. Difficult to take days off because of short staffing issues and too many open projects.

Advice to Management

Charge clients realistic budgets, and hire more staff if you are accepting more jobs. The all too common "this project is way over budget" becomes the norm because the job always requires more hours than the estimate.

6. Top Tier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Opportunity to work on the most high-profile structures in the US and international (including the tallest building in the world, stadiums, etc.) 2) Very collaborative office culture 3) Plenty of training opportunities 4) Some of the smartest people I know 5) Growing firm, which means opportunity for staff growth

Cons

1) Work-life balance can be a challenge, though management is working to improve it 2) Training for new (out of school) employees is a bit under-average to where it should/could be 3) Corporate governance is not ideal - the firm is pretty much "owned" by a couple shareholders (though that's also improving)

Advice to Management

1) Keep investing in (additional) training 2) Allow technical employees to have a (slightly) lower billability in return for insightful publications that improve firm brand 3) Invest in recruiting top talent. Langan should be on the top list of every engineering student

Overrated. Sweatshop.

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

You will get lots of experience whether you want it or not.

Cons

Lots of sharks. If you aren't one, you need to become one. You better be a workaholic and have few ethics.

Advice to Management

Experience the world outside of your job.

8. Good Comapny

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

ALOT of work on high profile job

Cons

ALOT of work with high demnads,Very top heavy comapany

Advice to Management

Hiring more lower level employees who are willing to work and stay with the company longer than a few years

9. great place

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Fun, challenging work fit for learning

Cons

Long hours and sometimes slowly developing projects

10. For those that wish to be challenged

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lawrence, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lawrence, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved from a regulatory agency to Langan because I wanted to get my hands on large and complicated projects and am yet to be disappointed, an average week for me has me bouncing typically between 3-5 varying and rotating projects. My prior experience in regulation gave me enough insight into what companies were doing the kind of work I wanted to be involved with and my list was effectively Langan and 2 other companies, they offered me the best opportunity to move between projects in the way that I wanted and I accepted the offer.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the work that I do, but I also understand that I am the type of person that likes putting in extra hours to make sure things are finished on a consistent basis.

11. Very progressive and open company, many benefits, very flexible and challenging projects. Top notch design firm.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in New York, NY

Pros

The principals and associates that head the offices are some of the best leaders around. Very understanding people. The office culture is great, very relaxed and positive. Very training focused.

Cons

Certain project managers are so informal it seems out of place. Many employees do not dress very professionally. Vacation policy could be a little better.

Advice to Management

project managers should be held at the highest standard. They should be expected to be flexible with their staff, act and dress very professionally.

RSS Feed </> Embed