Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Updated November 12, 2014
4.0

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Pros
  • Challenging work environment, great staff, very supportive upper management (in 5 reviews)

• great company, great benefits, nice fun people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work-life balance at Langan, at least at the levels below Stockholder (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is gaining fame in the industry by belittling competitors (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work with professional, hard working people.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is expanding its size, which is a good sign in this job market. The office environment is friendly and eager to help the newly hired staff. The buddy program is very helpful and the company believes in job longevity. It is not unusal to meet an employee that has been with Langan for 10, 15, 20..even 40 years!

Cons

Sometimes, I wish that there was a shuttle bus to and from the other site locations. I'd like to visit the other sites to meet people face-to-face that I work on a daily basis with.

I'd like to personally thank you for hiring the best of the best. I've worked in many great companies with a few great people, but at Langan I've never met a slacker, yet!

Clients matter just as much as employees matter!

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

Love It!

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Great office atmosphere and a great variety of projects to work on. Awesome benefits!

Cons

Be more flexible with the working hours. Need to inverse the pyramid.

Keep

College Internship Experience

Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with very friendly staff who make it easy to learn and progress. You're treated as an employee not as an intern so no one looks down on you.

Cons

None at all so far a very positive experience

Langan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Langan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

Cons

Our commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

There have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Impressive, Determined, and Supportive

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Values It's folks.
    Determined to deliver quality work.
    Listens: From top executive, to hardest working admin.

Cons

Process: sometimes because of size it mildly experiences "watereddown red tape", so I'd call it Pink Tape.

Engage the employees, and the communities where offices are.

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Great amount of work always busy

Cons

Often we worked 7 days per week

A Good Experience for the Right Type of Individual

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on great projects with high visibility, support from a world-class marketing mindset, ability to learn great soft skills, technical excellence

Cons

Not for everyone - some lower level staff work long hours and may be isolated from the bigger picture until they get more experience.

Try to engage entry-level staff more on projects, and consider including their anonymous feedback in the annual review of managers.

Reap what you sow.

Current Employee - Project Scientist
    Current Employee - Project Scientist

Pros

Paid benefits, matching 401K, outstanding training and mentoring programs, motivated employees, interesting projects, friendly atmosphere, top notch equipment, incredible coffee and tea selection (free), free breakfast two days per week. What's not to like?

Cons

It takes a special kind of person to succeed at Langan. If you aren't used to cranking full throttle 100% of the time, you will not succeed. You can certainly exist and collect a paycheck, but you will not SUCCEED. We work hard so we can play hard. It's not really a con, but a reality.

Find more one on one time with your subordinates. Take them out for a beer or a quick lunch. You’d be surprised how motivating that is. A little one on one time works wonders for morale. You can tell when a colleague is stressed out. Take them out for a quick breather.

Great, growing company

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I've enjoyed working for Langan since graduating a year ago. While I haven't been in the workforce long, I can tell that it is a progressive company (**comp time**) that really, really values talent. Being valued as an entry-level engineer has meant a lot to me. I have been to able to work on a number of complex projects, and, when deadlines aren't crazy, my superiors take time to teach. In other words, I do not always feel like a CAD monkey here!
    Keep in mind that, like your favorite chain restaurant, a particular office of a large company can be very different from another office in that same company. I have worked at offices other than my home office, helping out on different projects or because I was "taking a long weekend" to visit a city in which we just happen to have an office (remote desktops make such flexible management easy and productive). I saw the variety and have to say that I love working in a smaller, satellite office as I'm starting out. I feel comfortable approaching my supervisors for help, work regular hours most of the time, and still enjoy the big projects and high end software of a large company. Further, I will appreciate having the option to move to another city within the same company if my life ever takes me there!

Cons

Really valuing talent also has a drawback; managers take hiring too seriously/slowly, leaving the extra workload for other staff to pick up.

Notice when good engineers are silently overworked, and hire! We don't want to lose them.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Photos