Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel

David T. Gockel

Langan is a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsLangan has an amazing culture. The company values our employees and our clients. Employees are provided with endless opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. We have many employee social events, flex-time, and other great benefits as well - not to mention the bagels, fruit and many other options for free food. Langan's employees are passionate about the technical projects for which they are involved. They collaborate to find solutions and share our knowledge firm-wide. We have on-site Masters courses taught by a local technical university, an excellent training program and technical workshops. These are only a few of Langan's pros as they offer so much more.

ConsOur commitment to our projects and our careers can be extensive at times (not always). It all evens out in the end. When major projects require extra time, we are rewarded for getting the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been many improvements to Langan's working environment over recent years. Keep up the good work.

Impressive, Determined, and Supportive

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsValues It's folks.
    Determined to deliver quality work.
    Listens: From top executive, to hardest working admin.

ConsProcess: sometimes because of size it mildly experiences "watereddown red tape", so I'd call it Pink Tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the employees, and the communities where offices are.

Intern in the Geotechnical Department

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Elmwood Park, NJ

ProsGreat amount of work always busy

ConsOften we worked 7 days per week

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Experience for the Right Type of Individual

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to work on great projects with high visibility, support from a world-class marketing mindset, ability to learn great soft skills, technical excellence

ConsNot for everyone - some lower level staff work long hours and may be isolated from the bigger picture until they get more experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to engage entry-level staff more on projects, and consider including their anonymous feedback in the annual review of managers.

Reap what you sow.

Project Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsPaid benefits, matching 401K, outstanding training and mentoring programs, motivated employees, interesting projects, friendly atmosphere, top notch equipment, incredible coffee and tea selection (free), free breakfast two days per week. What's not to like?

ConsIt takes a special kind of person to succeed at Langan. If you aren't used to cranking full throttle 100% of the time, you will not succeed. You can certainly exist and collect a paycheck, but you will not SUCCEED. We work hard so we can play hard. It's not really a con, but a reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more one on one time with your subordinates. Take them out for a beer or a quick lunch. You’d be surprised how motivating that is. A little one on one time works wonders for morale. You can tell when a colleague is stressed out. Take them out for a quick breather.

Great, growing company

Staff Engineer I (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI've enjoyed working for Langan since graduating a year ago. While I haven't been in the workforce long, I can tell that it is a progressive company (**comp time**) that really, really values talent. Being valued as an entry-level engineer has meant a lot to me. I have been to able to work on a number of complex projects, and, when deadlines aren't crazy, my superiors take time to teach. In other words, I do not always feel like a CAD monkey here!
    Keep in mind that, like your favorite chain restaurant, a particular office of a large company can be very different from another office in that same company. I have worked at offices other than my home office, helping out on different projects or because I was "taking a long weekend" to visit a city in which we just happen to have an office (remote desktops make such flexible management easy and productive). I saw the variety and have to say that I love working in a smaller, satellite office as I'm starting out. I feel comfortable approaching my supervisors for help, work regular hours most of the time, and still enjoy the big projects and high end software of a large company. Further, I will appreciate having the option to move to another city within the same company if my life ever takes me there!

ConsReally valuing talent also has a drawback; managers take hiring too seriously/slowly, leaving the extra workload for other staff to pick up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice when good engineers are silently overworked, and hire! We don't want to lose them.

Very rewarding and interesting.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsChallenging work environment, great staff, very supportive upper management. You can make your own future here. Pays very well compared to peers, particularly in terms of bonuses.

ConsStruggles with work-life balance and retention, particularly with the younger generation that doesn't seem to want to stick with one company long. Overall senior management does well but one of the negatives of recruiting the best and the brightest and providing a tremendous amount of training is that former employees generally find it very easy to find other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay is good and bonues are important. The social aspects need to be improved. It made sense to stop some social activities during the recession but now we really need to go all out again with golf outings, christmas parties, etc. Teamwork and loyalty is what helps keep people here. We are rampng back up but we're not there yet.

cool projects, grow your career

Prosat this company the staff get to work on cool, complex, and high profile projects. great place to accelerate your career. the managers involve you in the direct discussions with the client, so you get max exposure and learn the business. they don't pigeonhole you into doing mundane tasks with no background on big picture.

Conshaving a direct line to clients means full impact of clients demands for quick turnaround and sometimes short notice. this can lead to spikes of long hours. but the managers let you balance it out the next week after deadlines pass ("comp time". leave early, personal day, etc).

Advice to Senior Managementincrease communication to younger staff, to give feedback and listen to feedback from younger staff.

Current Employee at the Pittsburgh Office

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsVery well organized and a lot of room to grow. The office is mostly a younger group of engineers/scientists and is an exciting place to work. Everyone is well liked by their co-workers. The demand can be high at times, but it is well understood and appreciated by the managers. Everyone has an opportunity to meet clients, bring in work, and involve themselves in business development and various professional and non-professional organizations. The management is very easy to approach and talk to and is very enjoyable to work for. Management allows its staff a large amount of responsibility with excellent guidance, but never overwhelms you with more than what you can/should be able to handle. The Pittsburgh offic has a small office appeal, with the ability of a major nationally recognized company with significant resorces. This is an excellent place to work and would suggest it to anyone.

ConsThe "Cons" are consistent with any company an individual may work for, that is to say nothing specific that you wouldn’t have from any other engineering firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is doing a fantastic job with its employees. As long as they continue to compensate well and allow for such significant professional growth, there will be no problems in continuing the progression of this office.

Great Company With Great Leadership

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLangan has some of the best civil, geotechnical, and environmental engineers in the country. The leaders of the firm are not only great engineers, but they are also great leaders and mentors. At Langan you will have the opportunity to work on challenging engineering projects that will impact the world. Langan is a fast-growing company with many opportunities for employees who want to take control of their careers.

ConsOne of Langan's core values is client responsiveness. This value sometimes results in working long hours to meet a client's construction schedule. At times I have worked 60 to 70 hour weeks to help get a project completed. That being said these long hours have never gone unrecognized. Langan works as a team to get these projects out the door so even though the hours are long, it feels good to work with your peers to accomplish a common goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Langan Engineering and Environmental Services? Contribute to the Community!