Langara College

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.1

CEO

a good position for the students

Current Employee - Tutor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Langara College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good payment, good supervisor, good students

Cons

nothing bad for the positions I think

People are nice, can be a nice place to work

I have been working at Langara College

Pros

People are nice, benefits are ok, pension is good, courses are subsidised, a lot of improvements in different departments, upper management, and to the campus itself.

Cons

Union, difficult to move up, politics, pay can be better, hiring process takes too long, paygrade has a limit and only way to earn more is to go to another position/department or leave the college.

Make the college more functional, cut out the bureaucracy

Very Rigid Culture

Former Contractor - Program Assistant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Program Assistant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Langara College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, and once you are in (even temporarily), job is very secure.

Cons

The department I worked in had a very negative culture - a lot of hostility and bullying. Lack of leadership was a huge concern. Moving about within the college is very challenging as it is seniority based, and any initiative to do work outside of your role (even in support of the department) is frowned upon and chastised.

I don't know that management can do anything to improve the culture. It seems to be systemic in nature.

Inflexible, cliquish and unpleasant

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Langara College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very few. I noticed that certain instructors had been in this particular department for years and appeared quite content. There was a tight culture within the department that seemed very sustaining to the "old guard". There was a mentorship system in place for new instructors and this gave the impression that newcomers would be helped to acclimatize to the environment. The director offered strong leadership and took initiative in holding regular meetings and feedback sessions.

Cons

The interview (a panel affair) was one of the worst I have ever sat through and should have been a sign not to proceed any further -- much belittling and grilling. Once in, it became evident that absolute loyalty was the key to survival. Creativity was greatly discouraged, and doing any other kind of work for other departments (teaching night classes, marking) was frowned on. Work-life balance seemed nonexistent--employees were encouraged to come in to do unpaid work at weekends and attend all social functions associated with the program. There was a sharp divide between long-time employees and newcomers with a fair amount of backbiting and intrigue. The pay was rather inadequate, considering the unpleasantness of the environment and the amount of work required.

Flexible, supportive

Former Employee - Work-Study Student in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Work-Study Student in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Langara College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since I study at Langara during the time of my employment, it was convenient. The departments I worked for were very accommodating of my class schedule. They understand that there I may have to take some time off during midterm or finals so that was really great. No one was hovering behind my back and they trusted me to do the work I was tasked to do.

The pay was above minimum average. It was a really sweet deal.

Cons

Could only work for 100 hours per semester. :( I wish I had more hours as I really enjoyed working for Langara.

None.

Nowhere to go, but nowhere.

I worked at Langara College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you can survive through the long, long hiring process: Starting salary, pension, benefits, work/life balance, unionzied. The epitome of "Golden Handcuffs".

Cons

Huge benefits deductions and unions dues from your paycheque. Stifling bureaucracy for such a small company. De-motivational politics. Expert buck-passers at the highest positions. Faculty treat staff like you either don't exist or you're trash. Executive treat staff and students like detritus off their shoes.

Trim the fat starting from the top, then trim some more. Motivate and develop young employees for leadership roles. No paths up - none. Programs are suffering because egomaniacal faculty won't retire and are too slow to change.

Get a very thick skin before coming here...

I worked at Langara College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff hours are good, good for work life balance. Has flex hours (work extra time each day to get an extra day off every 2 weeks).

Cons

Benefits such as extended and dental are only ok, pension is good. Expect to take home only 60% of your gross pay at best due to all the deductions. It looks like good pay from the outside but unless you're making at least $60,000 you barely make enough to pay basic expenses. So, if you think $17 is good for clerical, chances ae you'd take home more money if you only earned $13.

There's lower enrolment coming up in the next few years - expect layoffs. There's no way to avoid it. Anyone going in shouldn't consider it a long term opportunity cuz you'll be the first to get cut.

Management, faculty and younger staff will throw you under the bus every chance they can. Really poor morale for staff, they are treated like 2nd class citizens.

Get management that have leadership and compassion, don't hire immature, backstabbing, indecisive people. If you cut your egos in half they'd still be bigger than the campus. Get faculty that have actually succeeded in life then maybe they won't be such jerks to staff and bully anyone they don't consider their "equals"

Depending on the department, long hours may be involved.

I worked at Langara College full-time

Pros

There is a good compensation and benefits package.

Cons

Little work/life balance. Long hours, heavy workload

marker for math and accounting assignments

Current Employee - Marker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Langara College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

pros are nice! and flexible schedule

Cons

salary always paid at the latest moment

Not the best interview I've had

Former Contractor - Clerk
    Former Contractor - Clerk

I worked at Langara College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

High paid ($17-$20/hr for clerical jobs). Good Benefits (medical, dental, MSP coverage, free classes)

Cons

Monotonous work. Repetitive tasks. Structured environment.