Langara College

Langara College Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

a good position for the students

Tutor (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGood payment, good supervisor, good students

Consnothing bad for the positions I think

Flexible, supportive

Work-Study Student (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsSince I study at Langara during the time of my employment, it was convenient. The departments I worked for were very accommodating of my class schedule. They understand that there I may have to take some time off during midterm or finals so that was really great. No one was hovering behind my back and they trusted me to do the work I was tasked to do.

The pay was above minimum average. It was a really sweet deal.

ConsCould only work for 100 hours per semester. :( I wish I had more hours as I really enjoyed working for Langara.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Nowhere to go, but nowhere.

(Former Employee)

ProsIf you can survive through the long, long hiring process: Starting salary, pension, benefits, work/life balance, unionzied. The epitome of "Golden Handcuffs".

ConsHuge benefits deductions and unions dues from your paycheque. Stifling bureaucracy for such a small company. De-motivational politics. Expert buck-passers at the highest positions. Faculty treat staff like you either don't exist or you're trash. Executive treat staff and students like detritus off their shoes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat starting from the top, then trim some more. Motivate and develop young employees for leadership roles. No paths up - none. Programs are suffering because egomaniacal faculty won't retire and are too slow to change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get a very thick skin before coming here...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff hours are good, good for work life balance. Has flex hours (work extra time each day to get an extra day off every 2 weeks).

ConsBenefits such as extended and dental are only ok, pension is good. Expect to take home only 60% of your gross pay at best due to all the deductions. It looks like good pay from the outside but unless you're making at least $60,000 you barely make enough to pay basic expenses. So, if you think $17 is good for clerical, chances ae you'd take home more money if you only earned $13.

There's lower enrolment coming up in the next few years - expect layoffs. There's no way to avoid it. Anyone going in shouldn't consider it a long term opportunity cuz you'll be the first to get cut.

Management, faculty and younger staff will throw you under the bus every chance they can. Really poor morale for staff, they are treated like 2nd class citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet management that have leadership and compassion, don't hire immature, backstabbing, indecisive people. If you cut your egos in half they'd still be bigger than the campus. Get faculty that have actually succeeded in life then maybe they won't be such jerks to staff and bully anyone they don't consider their "equals"

Depending on the department, long hours may be involved.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a good compensation and benefits package.

ConsLittle work/life balance. Long hours, heavy workload

marker for math and accounting assignments

Marker (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prospros are nice! and flexible schedule

Conssalary always paid at the latest moment

Not the best interview I've had

Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsHigh paid ($17-$20/hr for clerical jobs). Good Benefits (medical, dental, MSP coverage, free classes)

ConsMonotonous work. Repetitive tasks. Structured environment.

Good benefits. Long-term jobs.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsBest health, medical & dental benefits around. Great pension plan and not bad savings plan. Work isn't too stressful and geared for family oriented people. Hours are flexible.

ConsDifficult to move up the corporate ladder. People tend to find a great position and stay there until retired. Lots of politics and bureaucracy that makes it difficult to move things along. Union mentality is to not create new or more work even though it would be short term and create less errors in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer education incentives.

Worked for Langara College? Contribute to the Community!