Langley Federal Credit Union Reviews

Thomas Ryan

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Caring Management. Wonderful co-workers!

Cons

Langley and I have had a working relationship for about 13 years.I felt compelled to comment because of all the negative reviews. I still say, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. If you are not with Langley, then it's probably for good reasons! Move on, grow from your experiences and stop bad mouthing Langley!

was good for a while

I worked at Langley Federal Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, salary, some staff members, potential for overtime

Cons

new policies, short staffed, lofty goals with unrealistic expectations

This Place Is Awesome

Pros

Benefits, Benefits and more Benefits!!! Very friendly working environment! Tuition reimbursement program rocks!! Great experience and learning opportunity! Managers are awesome! And upper management is awesome as well! Our CEO (Tom Ryan) and all our VP's have a goal of expanding Langley and working the best they can to create new and exciting experience for our members. I have been working at Langley for a little over a year now and I do not regret the decision I made to join the company at all!. I have been at two different branches since I have been working here and I love all the people I have worked with. The managers and assistant managers I had the pleasure of working for and met genuinely care about the staff and wants the best for each of us. The regional managers are definitely the best they interact with those who work in the branches and assist us in every way possible. Oh I also forgot to mention when the branch meets there goals they provide the branch with a free lunch!!!!!! We get an annual bonus based on the credit unions performance at the end of the year. There is also a yearly Christmas party and employee appreciation party which is exciting and they also give away amazing prizes!!. Honestly I have never seen a company care about their employee so much and it makes me really love what I do. Especially with the economy the way it is now its hard to even find a job.

Cons

I have no negative comments about the company at all. It's sad to see some of the negative remarks on here. But I will say that your work environment is what you make. Yes we have goals to meet but that's at any job or career path you choose. A company cannot grow without having goals! Even McDonald's have goals they have to meet. I have not seen management fire anyone for not meeting goals (personally). But we do have coaching sessions where they see how you can strengthen your weak point. It so easy to criticize people who are in management position but being a senior teller, branch manager, regional manager, Assistant Vice president, Vice president, CEO etc is not easy whether you have a degree or not. Our job is not to criticize those people in higher positions than us, but help support the goal and the mission that is being presented to us. Just because some people in management positions do not have a Doctors Degree or whatever you think they should have does not mean they are not fully capable of completing their job. Many people with degrees are leading other companies that are failing/on the verge of closing everyday in our society. Those people who currently have management positions at Langley have been in the banking field for 10+ years with management experience. This is a company in the process of growing to new heights and along the way there will be mistakes made. But guess what? that is apart of growing. How can someone or an entity grow without a trial and error?. If you have a positive attitude about your job and you are involved in the activities, employee appreciation and meetings they have to make us feel valued as employee then trust me you will not regret working here!

Advice to Management

Those in management positions whether you are a CEO, VP, Trainer, Manager or even just a Senior Teller/FSR keep doing an awesome job and continue to have a positive attitude! We are growing together and learning as a unit! No one is perfect so stay encouraged and continue to do and be the best you can! I AM A LANGLEY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION EMPLOYEE AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

5. OK - not great but has the potential to be better

Pros

Annual bonus; Able to form great work relationships

Cons

Some of the management staff still operate under 'old school' methods. They either need to change or move on...

Advice to Management

There is still an us against them mentality that exists between management and staff with most of the staff not trusting management. Management needs to come down to staff level a little more often and remember what it was like for them when they were in those positions. Just because you're a manager doesn't make you always right. Bring your nose down a little... Also management tends to be very hypocritical with a 'do as I say not as I do' mentality. You are noticed and it's not appreciated.

Langley Federal Credit Union Response

Aug 3, 2015 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your review! We are an organization that cares about what our employees think and provides many ways for employees to share their feedback. This review will be provided to management.

Neverending change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits but a bit pricey. Good breaks on loans for staff.

Cons

Pretty much everything I have read on here is true. They are quick to fire staff here and there is no severance package either. Be prepared to sell if you decide to come here because if you don't then you will be out the door. Very week management and it shows. Take the advice and go somewhere else that actually cares about the staff.

Advice to Management

The credit union has developed a reputation as a bad place to work. If there was any inclination that positive change was coming I am sure more staff would be staying.

No vacation for you!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well I would have said the benefits like most of the other posts said but now I really cant think of anything except the paycheck pays my bills.

Cons

If all the job postings don't tell you something about this place then your not seeing the light. Turnover is how management motivates the staff here. Everyday we wait to hear someone was terminated. The proactive fortunate ones find another job and quit. Do not expect any severance package or unemployment benefits either. They have also decided to take accumulated vacation time from the staff and reduce the days that we can have. Before deciding to come here you should make a few random calls to the staff for their views of LFCU.

Advice to Management

I don't think anyone envisioned things could get so bad. It shows that the current credit union atmosphere is what is desired so what advice could any of us give except stop firing everyone. Believe me we are looking to leave as quick as we can.

So much for the good benefits

Current Employee - Department Manager in Newport News, VA

Pros

I work with a bunch of nice people. My co-workers are about the only thing I can say good about working here.

Cons

The benefits here used to be some of the best around but they are slowly going away. Long time staff had already lost their accumulated sick time and now we got word they are taking vacation days away. This is just the latest attempt to push out long time staff. This place has become a revolving door with staff turnover and we are constantly left short staffed in the branches. It looks like I will have to bite the bullet and go to a bank. At least they pay more and wont take benefits away that we have earned.

Advice to Management

The disconnect between management and staff is apparent. There is no trust that management cares about employees needs.

No longer about the member or staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really sets this place apart from anywhere else. A couple extra days off a year is nice but everything else is pretty generic. The savings on mortgage costs is pretty good but everything else is negligible.

Cons

Everything said on here is true about the hours and pressure to sell. The goals might not be as bad as a bank but the management style definitely is. Just check all the job openings on the website. Turnover is nonstop and there is no end in sight.

Advice to Management

I agree with everything said on the previous posts. Its no longer enjoyable coming to work at LFCU.

Not horrible but definitly could be better

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

The staff here are very nice and we do support each other. I think my salary is pretty good for the position that I have. Like the other posts that I have read I like the benefits and the employee loan discounts.

Cons

Mostly I will just echo what I have read from the earlier posts. Most of the time when things are running somewhat smooth all of a sudden there is some type of drama we hear about. Whether its an employee getting fired or one of the executives gets terminated. This does seem to happen here more than anywhere else I have worked. I really like our CEO and think he does care about the staff, I just don't think the management under him are that good.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't take much to change a lot of the negative feelings about LFCU. I just don't see any changes being made in management that will do that. It appears they will use terminations of the general staff before there is any terminations of the management responsible.

Awesome?.....Really?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Pros

Regular pay raises until you get to the top of your scale. Holiday schedule is good. Decent benefits but you do pay more than most other companies.

Cons

The CEO had the right idea by going to a lending culture, that's what we should have been doing for years. The disconnect is from the ones he has to manage that change to a sales culture. All of the upper management are from the prior regime that have no experience managing a sales culture themselves. Why would you fire and replace everyone in the branches with salespeople and then keep regional and executive management that have no experience managing a sales team? This is discussed by the staff all the time and the reason for a lot of animosity within the credit union. You don't have to like your boss but you have to respect their abilities and that's just not the case here.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming everyone at the branch level and take a look at who's managing them. How about getting some experienced sales management at the regional and executive level.

RSS Feed </> Embed