Language International

Karen Ong

Energetic startup company!

Former Employee - Student Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employee works in free and friendly working environment with lots of help from everyone but not lots of supervisor and stress. As an intern, I got very much trust from my boss, and that made me could focus on my work with more confidence and more responsibility.

This is a new company that willing to use all new and advanced computer technique. It is always good to have the chance to access the new technology and learn from it.

Cons

It is unpaid internship, that sometimes I feel less motivation from doing better work

Great company Culture

Current Employee - Finance and Accounting
    Current Employee - Finance and Accounting

I have been working at Language International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The CEO, CFO and co-workers are very nice.
    - Good place to work if you need experience, especially your supervisors always welcome your new ideas.
    - Free snacks every week and free international food every Thursday.
    - Flexible working schedule. You can work at home if you are sick.

Cons

- Could not think of any now. Of course, every company will have pros and cons, but my experience so far at Language International is good.

Great intern experience

Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I strongly recommend the internship experience at Language International. You'll get a ton of real responsibility -- no fluff or marginal work.

As an intern, I got to learn an amazing amount in a short period of time. The management team will entrust you with as much responsibility as they think you can handle, so you don't get stuck in a position that doesn't allow you to contribute to your full potential. They really help you learn and improve quickly.

The fact that there were a bunch of other cool interns was a plus, and the fact that the rest of the team was pretty cool made it nice socially.

Of course, it's also just cool to work for a start-up, especially one that seems to have so much potential.

Cons

It's not the right place for everybody. A project management internship at a start-up requires dedication; there's often a need to stay longer than most of the other interns to get things done. With that said, most internships seemed more laid-back than mine. Also, some internships are unpaid (as you'd expect with start-ups) but it's a fair deal: you get lots of value out of the experience, so as long as you're living with your parents still, it works.

Oct 3, 2014Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad you got a lot out of your internship experience! We work hard to make our internships valuable learning opportunities.

Not a good place to work!

I have been working at Language International

Pros

- Good location
    - Snacks are provided
    - Diverse team
    - Management is often absent (the company actually runs better when they are out of the office)

Cons

- Low compensation
    - Management is absent and overpaid
    - Boring tasks and no room for growth
    - It is not a fun place to work
    - Lots of unpaid interns to cut costs
    - High employee turnover

- Consider paying a decent wage to your employees
    - Consider being more present and more sociable
    - Stop using unpaid labor to perform paid employee's tasks
    - Improve your hiring practices

Aug 15, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to hear that your experience at Language International was not very positive.

I'm sorry to hear your compensation was
    ... More

Do not work here.

I worked at Language International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location near MIT.

Cons

Low salaries and high turnover rate. Poor benefits package as management relies on early twenty-somethings staying on their parents' insurance. Management is often out of the office or traveling, and when in the office does not engage with staff. All of this contributes to a very negative office culture where the discussion is always about when and how you're going to leave.

Increase staff salaries instead of your own. Increase focus on employee training.

Jun 9, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We really value your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel that you interacted enough with the management team because they traveled
    ... More

good working conditions

Former Employee - Student Adviser in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Student Adviser in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good, diverse team. Goals are straight forward.

Cons

It is reasonable when there are certain sales goals that must be met. The only thing is that management ought to use different strategies to encourage Student Advisers for that. Without intimidation.

Less intimidation, more training that would boost drive to success.

Jun 9, 2014Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time write a review about us. I'm happy that you liked the team. I think our diverse, fun, international team is one of the coolest features of Language International! Also ... More

Language International Photos