www.lsaweb.com

1 Rating

Overview

Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at Language Services Associates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very efficient recruiting and scheduling systems

Cons

Timeframe of payment a bit long

Working for this company is an enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Interpreter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Language Services Associates as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely good people to deal with. They listen carefully to your feedback and act on it, give you good work volume and treat you with great respect.

Cons

None, however this is contract employment and take-home money can vary as in all contractual work

Current Employee - Free-lance Interpreter in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Free-lance Interpreter in Horsham, PA

Pros

Flexible hours; can even work in the middle of the night if you want. Good job if you don't need full-time work and can be at home, able to take a call at the "drop of a hat".

Great people at the Call Center, and everywhere really.

Cons

You may be logged in for a long time and not get calls. Best day so far was 5 hours of actual work after being logged in more than 10 hours.

You only get paid by the completed minute, and that doesn't start until you are connected with the client.

No vacation, sick pay, medical, or dental.

At LEAST pay by the half-minute. 15 second intervals would be really nice since many calls end after 45 seconds into a minute. In just one day, I usually work an average of 15-20 minutes for "free" since i am not reimbursed those extra seconds -- they really add up.

Professional Excellence

Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Dorado, PR
    Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Dorado, PR

Pros

They are very professional towards their contractors and pay well and on time.

Cons

I don't see any cons in this company. I believe they give me as many calls as they can and feel very comfortable working for them,

Work-Life Balance

Former Employee - Vendor Procurement Coordinator in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Vendor Procurement Coordinator in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at Language Services Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had great co-workers, the office was a very laid back working environment with casual attire, interns were only required to work Monday through Thursday.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of turnover within the company. There were also a decent number of temps hired to fill specific functions, without much opportunity to be taken in by the company afterwards.

Overall a good place to work.

Former Employee - Interpretalk Coordinator in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Interpretalk Coordinator in Horsham, PA

I worked at Language Services Associates

Pros

It's easier to get hired since no one is full-time, and the atmosphere is probably a little bit lighter as a result of that. For most people it's a second job, and since they pay well above minimum wage, you can do pretty well as long as you have a full time job, or if you are in school and live at home. I thought most of the supervisors were pretty nice. You were definitely expected to not slack off, and they verified that through checking your call statistics. That was actually a good thing, because it meant that everyone was sharing the work equally (unlike some places I've worked, where a small percentage of the people do a large percentage of the work). The coordinators were also all very helpful and they are good coworkers. LSA does some cheesy things to raise employee morale, and I appreciated it. I think they did a good job creating an image of the nice atmosphere that they wanted for the company and for the coordinators.

Cons

You can only work part-time. Other than that, I think it's a perfectly fair exchange in terms of labor for dollars.

Telephonic nterpreters need to strive for competitive salary.

Former Employee - Telephonic Interpreter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Telephonic Interpreter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Language Services Associates

Pros

Ability to be trained and work from home. From the comfort of your house you can work in a highly regarded career without the expense of a wardrobe, commute, gas and parking expense. This company will train and give you all the resources necessary to perform well.

Cons

This company offers one of the lowest per minute salary regardless of the ability, training and documentation required to perform it. Many of their interpreters have court qualified status, have been working for them for some time, are in the list of several judges and companies as preferred interpreters, have bachelors, masters and even PhD;s but their pay continues to be the same as recently hired, non-professional, non-degreed interpreters.

Need to revisit per minute offer based upon years of service, experience and interpretation quality and accomplishments. Everyone is the same across the board.

Spanish Interpreter

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Lima, Lima Region (Peru)
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Lima, Lima Region (Peru)

Pros

They pay on time, direct deposit.

Cons

Low rate per hour to the interpreters outside the US. If the calls lasts 3min 59 secs you only get paid por 3 min. Set schedule. No increases, no bonus, no recognition. You pay for your own computer, internet service, headset etc, at a 5.45 per hour rate it's abuse.

You pay a lot more to your interpreters in the States that do exactly the same as the interpreters abroad. Increase the rate, offer bonuses, ssay how much you appreciate us. Offer a few vacation time. Keep us happy.

Sub standard

I have been working at Language Services Associates full-time

Pros

Good, over qualified people stuck in menial jobs.The people/employees make this place a bearable company.

Cons

Very low pay. Very highly educated employees are paid a little more than the minimum wage. Company expects employees to keep taking on additional responsibilities and work in any and all department to help them, but they do not compensate the employees accordingly. They try to take advantage of employees all the time, but very cleverly avoid the legal implications. Surely, on paper, they may not get into trouble with labor laws. They advertise an opening with a different title, but then then when they offer the job, it is another story. They hire an employee for a certain job with a set of roles and responsibilities, but they soon change them and almost corner the employee to take on completely unrelated set of roles and duties. A person hired to do administrative job is asked to take on a customer service role or a designer hired for graphics, is asked to work in marketing. People are always felt underpaid and exploited, but keep silent because of a bad job market. The company asks for self-evaluations to be submitted yearly, but never evaluate or increase pay which they say would happen yearly. They sneakily avoid the evaluations and pay raise and pay raises are an even bigger joke. Employee has to keep on top of it or the company gets away with it. The company benefits are next to nothing.

The management only cares about numbers and does not realize that people come first. We do not care about the $10.00 gift cards that you throw at us every now and then, just give us a fair pay. Start paying industry standard salaries and you will see that happy, stress- free, satisfied employees can make the numbers look better.You might think that the market is saturated with new graduates and so you can get away with hiring those kids at a low pay all the time, but if you have a long term vision, you should know that good quality employees will help the company grow in the long term.

Great team

Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at Language Services Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivation: Management constantly motivates their employees though emails, chat and over the phone
    Team Work: Interpreters help one another all the time
    Glossary: Interpreters can profit from the glossaries and add their own
    Resources: Website with tons of useful information
    QA

Cons

Rates are too low for a medical interpreter position
    Not enough preparation/training, only a few days. It is more of a day to day training. You learn by try and error.
    Equipment makes it hard to understand callers. It does not only depend on the company itself but on their customers.

Increase the interpreter's rates.
    Keep up the good job in motivating interpreters