Language Stars

Language Stars Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Language Stars Chief Executive Officer Jamie Davidson

Jamie Davidson

Great co workers, lively environment, not much pay

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe training was good, my coworkers are really nice, helpful and attentive. Methods are easy to understand and apply.

ConsVery exhausting for little pay. $110 for a full day, basically 8:30AM - 6PM for a regular sub or teacher, unless you're training (2-3 weeks) in which case it's $10/hr. You basically have to jump around, sing dance whatever you need to, nonstop, in order to entertain kids while teaching them a foreign language. It takes lots of energy so be prepared. Which for me makes it not worth the pay. What's almost sad is that most of the workers are foreigners on visas so the company doesn't have to up the pay because they are happy to get a visa and work here, even though they realize the pay is sh*t. Also, I'm only a sub not a regular teacher so the hours I'm offered are minimal at best. I'm in the process of looking for something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the pay!

Great experience overall... Extremely positive outlook

ProsAmazing coworkers- You will work with extremely talented and passionate individuals from diverse backgrounds.
    Fulfilling work- Meaningful mission.
    Great company culture- Collaborative environment, senior management is always open to feedback and exploring new ideas.
    Professional growth opportunities- There are consistently opportunities for professional development and movement within the company.

ConsSystems- Some of the systems used are a bit outdated but the new CEO is definitely moving things in the right direction.
    Schedule- The hours and schedule can take some getting used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnder new leadership I can already see an abundance of positive changes taking place to take us to the next level. Remember to keep your team (Directors and teachers) as involved as possible with new initiatives.

Wonderful people. Dedication toward an important mission.

Center Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThese are some of the hardest-working, genuinely sincere people I have ever worked with. Colleagues and teachers are willing to jump in and help make each center run efficiently. And the curriculum is top-notch.

ConsReally the only downside is that the company is working hard to catch up on technology. But the new CEO is committed to making that happen so I believe we'll continue to see changes in processes over the next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very open to communication and explains why something has to happen even if it is not what an employee wanted to hear. Keep focusing on the teachers and ways to make their work lives better so they feel the most appreciated in the company. They're one of the biggest reasons our programs work so well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees were constantly at the mercy of the company, teaching kids, disciplining, preparing the classroom for the next

Native Speaker Teacher (Former Employee) North Bethesda, MD

ProsIt is fun working with children and the program was fun to teach.

ConsNo time to breathe and had to clean the place- vaccum and empty trash- at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are hiring foreign nationals to build your reputation for "native speakers" and are taking advantage of them because they depend on your for their visa.

Terrific team!

ProsPeople who genuinely work together to help each other out and are passionate about what they do. Mission focused company. Deliver a terrific and meaningful student experience to children to learn a foreign language. Awesome group of teachers from around the globe.

ConsCompany can increase efficiency by leveraging the latest technologies (I know the company is actively working on this).

Advice to Senior ManagementLanguage Stars has tremendous potential to grow to become a much larger organization. Believe we can make it happen!

Rewarding opportunity and great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent culture and people. Growing company with opportunity to make a difference. Rewarding experience - "creating a new generation of multilingual Americans"

ConsNot a con really, but you get what you put in.” Working at Language Stars requires a self-starter who can make things happen in an entrepreneurial type of culture.

fun place to work with amazing career opportunities

ProsI haven't been with the company very long, but I have already received a promotion. They are big on identifying strong talent and then supporting/investing in your professional development to allow for amazing career opportunities. It's a fun place to work--everyone is passionate about what they do which makes it so enjoyable. It's what I never imagined (but always hoped for)--waking up in the morning and WANTING to go to work. Can't speak for everyone, but I get a sense that a lot of employees feel this way.

Conscompensation can be low--but again, growth opportunities can help! If you are passionate about foreign language education, you will be happy. Also, days are long--but can go by fast if you enjoy what you do!

Advice to Senior Managementsmall company looking to grow. A lot of (positive) changes going on. Growth is great, but don't lose sight of what's important

Positive Employment Overall

ProsI love the people I work with - team members truly care about helping each other out and the atmosphere is generally positive. Upper level management is open to feedback, and always ready to try out new initiatives. Internal communication is strong.

ConsCompensation can be low, and schedule is very busy (long days, typically work Saturdays with a weekday off)

Advice to Senior ManagementLanguage Stars has a strong team - continue to show how much you value them and I think the company has strong potential to expand!

This company will use you and throw you away

Foreign Language Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorking alongside fantastic teachers from many different walks of life.
    Teaching young children your native tongue is very rewarding.

ConsIt is hard for to find the right words to express the downsides to Language Stars as my experience and how I have seen HR and management treat my fellow teachers and friends makes me so angry. I saw a dozen coworkers have to leave the US because Language Stars knowingly brought them over on the wrong visa in an effort to save money. The salary is a joke because they will tell you that you will earn a certain amount for full time employment but what they fail to reveal is that you will most likely only be working between 60 and 80 percent of a full schedule. If you do not ask the right questions they will never volunteer Information if it is to their benefit. There is a culture of fakeness encouraged by senior management that certain employees embrace undermining the usually positive work environment. There are no opportunities for professional development. This is a company that is thriving on the knowledge and skills of others whilst not recognizing that those things have a right to be adequately remunerated. This is a company that takes advantage of people and believes they should be grateful for it. This is a company that will use you and get rid of you at the drop of a hat.

I hope that eventual readers will notice who is writing the positive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect and fairness or you will find yourself bereft of quality teachers very soon and I hope parents will realize this before it is too late for their children.

Great experience to learn and grow

Former Center Director/Regional Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI was fortunate enough to work in 2 capacities with Language Stars. The first was as a center director during a period of launching new centers. Language Stars afforded me an opportunity to learn how to run a business in many aspects that included sales, finance, and operations. There are very few positions that allow someone to gain that breadth of experience in one position. As I am person who thrives on challenge, this new venture allowed me the opportunity to succeed and fail on numerous occasions. The senior management at Language Stars is extremely patient and allows the managers the opportunity to learn from mistakes, and to use these experiences to create plans that will bring in future success. I was also given the responsibility of running a nascent business as the regional director, and the amount of trust, freedom, and responsibility that senior management gave to me made my time in this position an incredible experience. Language Stars allowed me to help create systems, processes, and procedures. I was able to create the DNA of this business, and helped create a lasting legacy at the company. At Language Stars, you are able to work with an international team, and have more company wide impact, than many other similar positions.

ConsAs the company grows, it gets harder to maintain the little things that made Language Stars great. It is good to focus on what will help Language Stars continue to make center directors and teachers continue to feel empowered as this was vital during the early years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on expansion and growth as there is so much potential for the company, but don't forget to make sure that the infrastructure grows at the same pace.

Worked for Language Stars? Contribute to the Community!