Language Stars Reviews

30 reviews filtered by
3.1
Language Stars Chief Executive Officer Jamie Davidson
Jamie Davidson

Wonderful people to work with and a great learning experience

Former Employee - Center Director
    Former Employee - Center Director

I worked at Language Stars full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1)The teachers are wonderful. Meeting people from all around the world who share a passion for language, travel, adventure, and love teaching children is a great experience and one that you will not find in any other business.

2) To become a center director, you do not need to have a business background, so it's a great way to learn about marketing, the sales process, operations management, team building, client relationships, etc. All of which will help you with your next career.

3) Opportunity for growth is there. There are assistant director positions that can grow into center directors and then into regional directors. Teachers have some opportunities for growth through senior and lead teacher positions but anything beyond that is really only for local teachers (non-visa).

4) Still a small company that is open to feedback. You can email the CEO or Owner with any feedback or ideas that you have and you will receive a response.

5) Flexibility to be creative. You can come up with new marketing initiatives or creative programs to attract new revenue and you will be given the go ahead with a decent project proposal. Fun and exciting to see your projects come to life and be successful.

Cons

1) There is an unfortunate lack of planning from upper management. Marketing ideas and implementation seem to be last minute and it falls to center directors to market the ideas with little notice to be able to plan for it in whatever time management system that he our she uses.

2)Hours are pretty long (leave at 5:45 at the earliest) and sometimes include Saturdays which should be fine for any young professional but those with families get burnt out really quickly which leads to a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Plan ahead more effectively and communicate those plans with directors.

The teachers are our backbone. They should have the option of full time or part time and that's it. No percentages.

Overworked, underpaid. Teachers take the brunt of it.

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Language Stars full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a lot of people from all over the world.
    Discount on enrichment classes for children.
    Commission for enrollments and free classes.

Cons

VERY underpaid. Salary is close to minimum.
    Downsizing.
    No growth path.

Advice to Management

Work life balance needs to be put into place. HR needs to be more honest with the teachers they bring in from all over the world because they bring them to a city where they will be barely able to pay their rent and immediate living expenses with the low wages they earn. And it fluctuates from 70% - 100% employment.

3. More like disorganized stars

I have been working at Language Stars part-time

Pros

-meet amazing talent (teachers)
    -observe children grow in language

Cons

1.extremely disorganized
    2. extremely disorganized
    3. heavy focus on useless redundancy for operations, enrollments, communications
    4. outdated or more so lack of concrete policies, procedures
    5, extremely last minute on promotions, program costs and class scheduling
    6. extremely high turnover

Advice to Management

good luck

Feb 5, 2015CEO

We appreciate the feedback. We fully agree from a process perspective that we need to simplify our operations across the board. It takes some time, but we are excited about the progress being made ... More

5. Interesting experience

I worked at Language Stars

Pros

I worked at Language Stars for about a year. I did not realize what i was getting myself into and it was way more work than expected. However, since i did not have much office experience, it was a great way to get that as a step tool to a more challenging position.

Cons

I don't mind working hard, but it is hard to do so, when the pay does not reflect your hard work.
    More physical work than specify in job description.

Advice to Management

Management is changing quite a bit right now.
    Why does 99% of the employee are a manager and director?

Great company! Fun and engaging environment!

I have been working at Language Stars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, casual environment that focuses on delivering a great experience to our students / young children. Company seems genuinely focused on expansion and growing to greater heights.

Cons

Lack of systems has been a historical challenge but I know there are changes underway.

Advice to Management

Continue to simplify the operations to allow greater time towards delivering outstanding service to our parents and children.

The company runs its employees like machines, not human beings.

I worked at Language Stars

Pros

Useful trainings. Because teachers work like machine to teach children, parents are probably happy about what they pay. Therefore, The company stays in business. Once parents know insights about teachers' horrible working experience, they may rethink their options.

Cons

1. low pay
    2. employees are human, not animals or machines. Many teachers lost their voice and physically got hurt on the job. I was told once that once I got into the door, I should not go out again. I then asked myself: am I in the prison or at work? Teachers work/talk loudly to children 8-9 hours a day without break, of course, they only pay for 8 hours. Teachers are willing to accept the horrible environment mainly because of the work visa. When teachers are fired, they were told right away to go back to their own country. Some teachers were scared and left. What a shame!

Advice to Management

Your teachers are valuable to you and they are good people and hard workers. If you treat them a bit like human, your company would be in a better position.We all talk, not everyone is afraid of speaking out.

Sep 30, 2014HR & Recruiting Coordinator

In an education based business like Language Stars, we are 100% aware that our teachers are on the front-lines every day and are constantly the face of Language Stars. Their work in our centers and ... More

Rewarding work (if you truly like teaching your foreign language) / Dis-organized company / Little rewards

I worked at Language Stars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50-60% of your co-workers genuinely enjoy teaching their foreign language to children. These are the co-workers that you enjoy working with, helping and they help you in return.

Cons

1) Dis-organized company. HR gives you your assignments at the last minute. This gives you little to no work/life balance. If you've made plans for day(s) you are off, you can kiss them goodbye.
    2) Programs look good on paper. Probably developed by somebody sitting behind a desk. But when in a real world, the actual classroom, you can finish the assigned days program in less than half of the time. Leaving the teacher to come up with additional material.
    3) Language Stars DOES NOT PAY you for your preparation
    4) Language Stars DOES NOT PAY you for setup or tear down time. This usually amounts to 30 - 50 minutes a day of un-paid time, but work they expect you to accomplish.
    5) Language Stars will assign you to locations outside of what you make available
    6) Classroom materials are never there. If there are 5 classes using the same materials, you should have 5 classes of materials to go around. Many times, myself and other teachers find that there are only enough materials for 2 classes. If a teacher doesn't have the materials to teach, your customer's children are getting the short end of the stick.

Advice to Management

1) Organize the company and inform teachers ahead of time. This gives time for teachers to plan out their personal lives vs. waiting hand & foot
    2) Pay accordingly for setup and tear down time. Most of your teachers are foreigners and do not know the labor law. This can lead to a class action on owed wages.
    3) Have enough teaching materials on hand.

9. If you love teaching and value what you do DO NOT APPLY TO LANGUAGE STARS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Language Stars part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I think that the person who wrote the excellent review about the company works for the human resource team CEO and he or she is desperate to find more part time teachers!!!!

If you really love teaching kids and believe in what you do, Language Stars is the worst place to reach your career goals.

Cons

1.THE SALARY IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!!! six months ago when I started working for LS they offered to me $60 dollars per half day or 1$120 dollars full day. It does not matter how many classes I taught. Now they are turning the company to a "part time" company, something like the "WALMART OR MAC DONALD of the foreign languages". They said to me that in order to improve their company they need to pay per hour just $22 dollars. The math is simple, now I am gaining a maximum of $55 dollar per half day or just $22 dollars if they only offer to me one class, I need to put the gas to travel from one center to another.

2. tHEY ARE CUTING THE TEACHERS' TRAINING. They company is trying to cut expenses, and of course, cutting teachers' training is for them the "best strategy". They do not realize how important is for a teacher to have the possibility of receive training and disscuss with their co-workers about their teaching strategies or behavior management.

3. IF I AM A PARENT I NEVER PAY FOR A CLASS THERE. The company is proud stating that they really care about families and children; this is a complete lie. They just want to take the money and see the profits. For example, they changed the number of students per class, before was 8 and now you need to teach 10 children in a small classroom, without enough space and materials. I have witnessed on how this policy is promoting agressive behaviors on children because they are fighting for space on the table or in the carpet.

Advice to Management

The original idea of language stars was really good. Now you are turning the company in a mess!!!! So sad, I truly believed that language stars was an innovative idea to bring children an opportunity to learn another language.

Sep 18, 2014HR & Recruiting Coordinator

I started Language Stars 15 years ago with an educational vision to change lives and of course no pay. Since that day, the team at Language Stars has remained Mission-driven. We have reinvested every ... More

Overworked, underpaid, hard work not appreciated

I worked at Language Stars

Pros

I met some amazing friends and colleagues who were hard working and truly cared about the mission statement of the company. The teachers I got to work with trained me really well and helped me to understand what it takes to teach foreign language effectively.

Cons

The company was way behind with its technology and registration systems. This caused director and regional work to be tripled and extremely inefficient. Instead of rewarding the employees who worked hard to compensate for the outdated systems, the company belittles employees work performance. There is room for upward mobility if you enjoy doing the work of your target position for entry level pay until you "prove you can handle the responsibilities". I have seen this happen to teachers and directors alike. The company does not value its amazing teachers or directors, at least not in my experience. It only values good reviews.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees well and value their hard work and maybe you won't go through them like old Kleenex...

Great co workers, lively environment, not much pay

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Language Stars part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was good, my coworkers are really nice, helpful and attentive. Methods are easy to understand and apply.

Cons

Very exhausting for little pay. $110 for a full day, basically 8:30AM - 6PM for a regular sub or teacher, unless you're training (2-3 weeks) in which case it's $10/hr. You basically have to jump around, sing dance whatever you need to, nonstop, in order to entertain kids while teaching them a foreign language. It takes lots of energy so be prepared. Which for me makes it not worth the pay. What's almost sad is that most of the workers are foreigners on visas so the company doesn't have to up the pay because they are happy to get a visa and work here, even though they realize the pay is sh*t. Also, I'm only a sub not a regular teacher so the hours I'm offered are minimal at best. I'm in the process of looking for something else.

Advice to Management

Up the pay!