Language Stars

Updated September 8, 2014
3.6

Language Stars Chief Executive Officer Jamie Davidson
Jamie Davidson

Great company! Fun and engaging environment!

I have been working at Language Stars full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, casual environment that focuses on delivering a great experience to our students / young children. Company seems genuinely focused on expansion and growing to greater heights.

Cons

Lack of systems has been a historical challenge but I know there are changes underway.

Continue to simplify the operations to allow greater time towards delivering outstanding service to our parents and children.

Rewarding work (if you truly like teaching your foreign language) / Dis-organized company / Little rewards

I worked at Language Stars full-time for more than a year

Pros

50-60% of your co-workers genuinely enjoy teaching their foreign language to children. These are the co-workers that you enjoy working with, helping and they help you in return.

Cons

1) Dis-organized company. HR gives you your assignments at the last minute. This gives you little to no work/life balance. If you've made plans for day(s) you are off, you can kiss them goodbye.
    2) Programs look good on paper. Probably developed by somebody sitting behind a desk. But when in a real world, the actual classroom, you can finish the assigned days program in less than half of the time. Leaving the teacher to come up with additional material.
    3) Language Stars DOES NOT PAY you for your preparation
    4) Language Stars DOES NOT PAY you for setup or tear down time. This usually amounts to 30 - 50 minutes a day of un-paid time, but work they expect you to accomplish.
    5) Language Stars will assign you to locations outside of what you make available
    6) Classroom materials are never there. If there are 5 classes using the same materials, you should have 5 classes of materials to go around. Many times, myself and other teachers find that there are only enough materials for 2 classes. If a teacher doesn't have the materials to teach, your customer's children are getting the short end of the stick.

1) Organize the company and inform teachers ahead of time. This gives time for teachers to plan out their personal lives vs. waiting hand & foot
    2) Pay accordingly for setup and tear down time. Most of your teachers are foreigners and do not know the labor law. This can lead to a class action on owed wages.
    3) Have enough teaching materials on hand.

If you love teaching and value what you do DO NOT APPLY TO LANGUAGE STARS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Language Stars part-time for less than a year

Pros

First, I think that the person who wrote the excellent review about the company works for the human resource team CEO and he or she is desperate to find more part time teachers!!!!

If you really love teaching kids and believe in what you do, Language Stars is the worst place to reach your career goals.

Cons

1.THE SALARY IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!!! six months ago when I started working for LS they offered to me $60 dollars per half day or 1$120 dollars full day. It does not matter how many classes I taught. Now they are turning the company to a "part time" company, something like the "WALMART OR MAC DONALD of the foreign languages". They said to me that in order to improve their company they need to pay per hour just $22 dollars. The math is simple, now I am gaining a maximum of $55 dollar per half day or just $22 dollars if they only offer to me one class, I need to put the gas to travel from one center to another.

2. tHEY ARE CUTING THE TEACHERS' TRAINING. They company is trying to cut expenses, and of course, cutting teachers' training is for them the "best strategy". They do not realize how important is for a teacher to have the possibility of receive training and disscuss with their co-workers about their teaching strategies or behavior management.

3. IF I AM A PARENT I NEVER PAY FOR A CLASS THERE. The company is proud stating that they really care about families and children; this is a complete lie. They just want to take the money and see the profits. For example, they changed the number of students per class, before was 8 and now you need to teach 10 children in a small classroom, without enough space and materials. I have witnessed on how this policy is promoting agressive behaviors on children because they are fighting for space on the table or in the carpet.

The original idea of language stars was really good. Now you are turning the company in a mess!!!! So sad, I truly believed that language stars was an innovative idea to bring children an opportunity to learn another language.

Language Stars Response

Sep 18, 2014HR & Recruiting Coordinator

I started Language Stars 15 years ago with an educational vision to change lives and of course no pay. Since that day, the team at Language Stars has remained Mission-driven. We have reinvested every ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, underpaid, hard work not appreciated

I worked at Language Stars

Pros

I met some amazing friends and colleagues who were hard working and truly cared about the mission statement of the company. The teachers I got to work with trained me really well and helped me to understand what it takes to teach foreign language effectively.

Cons

The company was way behind with its technology and registration systems. This caused director and regional work to be tripled and extremely inefficient. Instead of rewarding the employees who worked hard to compensate for the outdated systems, the company belittles employees work performance. There is room for upward mobility if you enjoy doing the work of your target position for entry level pay until you "prove you can handle the responsibilities". I have seen this happen to teachers and directors alike. The company does not value its amazing teachers or directors, at least not in my experience. It only values good reviews.

Pay your employees well and value their hard work and maybe you won't go through them like old Kleenex...

Great co workers, lively environment, not much pay

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Language Stars part-time for less than a year

Pros

The training was good, my coworkers are really nice, helpful and attentive. Methods are easy to understand and apply.

Cons

Very exhausting for little pay. $110 for a full day, basically 8:30AM - 6PM for a regular sub or teacher, unless you're training (2-3 weeks) in which case it's $10/hr. You basically have to jump around, sing dance whatever you need to, nonstop, in order to entertain kids while teaching them a foreign language. It takes lots of energy so be prepared. Which for me makes it not worth the pay. What's almost sad is that most of the workers are foreigners on visas so the company doesn't have to up the pay because they are happy to get a visa and work here, even though they realize the pay is sh*t. Also, I'm only a sub not a regular teacher so the hours I'm offered are minimal at best. I'm in the process of looking for something else.

Up the pay!

Great experience overall... Extremely positive outlook

I have been working at Language Stars full-time

Pros

Amazing coworkers- You will work with extremely talented and passionate individuals from diverse backgrounds.
    Fulfilling work- Meaningful mission.
    Great company culture- Collaborative environment, senior management is always open to feedback and exploring new ideas.
    Professional growth opportunities- There are consistently opportunities for professional development and movement within the company.

Cons

Systems- Some of the systems used are a bit outdated but the new CEO is definitely moving things in the right direction.
    Schedule- The hours and schedule can take some getting used to.

Under new leadership I can already see an abundance of positive changes taking place to take us to the next level. Remember to keep your team (Directors and teachers) as involved as possible with new initiatives.

Wonderful people. Dedication toward an important mission.

Current Employee - Center Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Language Stars full-time

Pros

These are some of the hardest-working, genuinely sincere people I have ever worked with. Colleagues and teachers are willing to jump in and help make each center run efficiently. And the curriculum is top-notch.

Cons

Really the only downside is that the company is working hard to catch up on technology. But the new CEO is committed to making that happen so I believe we'll continue to see changes in processes over the next year.

Management is very open to communication and explains why something has to happen even if it is not what an employee wanted to hear. Keep focusing on the teachers and ways to make their work lives better so they feel the most appreciated in the company. They're one of the biggest reasons our programs work so well.

Employees were constantly at the mercy of the company, teaching kids, disciplining, preparing the classroom for the next

Former Employee - Native Speaker Teacher  in  North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Native Speaker Teacher in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at Language Stars part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is fun working with children and the program was fun to teach.

Cons

No time to breathe and had to clean the place- vaccum and empty trash- at the end of the day.

You are hiring foreign nationals to build your reputation for "native speakers" and are taking advantage of them because they depend on your for their visa.

fun place to work with amazing career opportunities

I have been working at Language Stars full-time

Pros

I haven't been with the company very long, but I have already received a promotion. They are big on identifying strong talent and then supporting/investing in your professional development to allow for amazing career opportunities. It's a fun place to work--everyone is passionate about what they do which makes it so enjoyable. It's what I never imagined (but always hoped for)--waking up in the morning and WANTING to go to work. Can't speak for everyone, but I get a sense that a lot of employees feel this way.

Cons

compensation can be low--but again, growth opportunities can help! If you are passionate about foreign language education, you will be happy. Also, days are long--but can go by fast if you enjoy what you do!

small company looking to grow. A lot of (positive) changes going on. Growth is great, but don't lose sight of what's important

Positive Employment Overall

I have been working at Language Stars full-time

Pros

I love the people I work with - team members truly care about helping each other out and the atmosphere is generally positive. Upper level management is open to feedback, and always ready to try out new initiatives. Internal communication is strong.

Cons

Compensation can be low, and schedule is very busy (long days, typically work Saturdays with a weekday off)

Language Stars has a strong team - continue to show how much you value them and I think the company has strong potential to expand!

Worked for Language Stars? Contribute to the Community!