Language World Services

David Landry

Exciting!

Current Employee - Interpreter in Carmichael, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Carmichael, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I wish wonderful people of LWS inc. happy and prosperous new 2015.
    Big greetings and regards to Mr.Bill, Mr.David Landry, and nice Ms Vangie for giving me the chance to work with LWS and a lot of thanks to all nice employees and staff for facilitating the work through scheduling.
    Thank you for the medical interpretation training program you provided, it was not just helpful, but also encouraging and professional, and will definitely, help build our professional mutual future work. The mentors did a wonderful job during shadow and supervision assignments walking me along a successful interpretation path to become even more qualified.
    I'm doing pretty good in my assignments, and that is because of your guide.
    I'll do my best in coming 2015 to be at your convenient and satisfaction.
    Big HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cons

Sometimes, patients come along with their families, or come together with spouse or siblings (more than one recipient). That's what I call a challenging interpretation session!

Actually management is strong, and problems are solved wisely. I would rather encourage interpreters to be honest with managers, and not act individually in order to complete managers' goals.

You will not get looked after

Former Employee - Medical Interpreter
    Former Employee - Medical Interpreter

I worked at Language World Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The one star is for the paid annual CEU training and occasional interesting assignments from medical providers. Good for starters if they want to gain more experience as medical interpreters.

Cons

No benefits, no promotion and bad management.
     You have to be available as stand-by/on call for at least 20 hours a week but sometimes you get no assignment at all. The driving time is sometimes longer than actual interpreting time depending on your location. They do pay mileage/travel time but they are for more than one assignment for that day and that is rare too. Promotion is scarce and that might not even be based on merit but your relationship with management.

Listen to your interpreters and be fair to them.
    You are not the only company/agency that pays mileage/travel time and also others compensate 2 hours minimum for each job while you are not.

Language World Services Response

Jan 6, 2015Director of Client Relations

Language World Services would like to make mention that LWS employee interpreters, while not eligible for traditional benefit packages, do receive numerous perks to include: Fresh Bennies (A ... More

Great introduction to interpreting

Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Language World Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

When I worked for LWS there was a great amount of flexibility. You accept the assignments you want without repercussion if there were jobs you couldn't accept. There were regular continuing education classes and the orientation was spot-on for the ethical and linguistic aspects one has to take into careful consideration as an interpreter. Sending reliable, accurate and culturally equipped interpreters was a priority.

Cons

At the time mileage was very poorly compensated. The hourly wage was reasonable for someone in or recently graduated from college, or for those looking to help their communities and supplement their income. Some job sites were too far a distance to justify the expenditure of time. You have to be available/on call though you may not receive an assignment. Language requests depend on your region, which can affect the number of requests you receive. If you are starting out this is a good choice to gain experience in the medical setting.

They have raised the hourly pay rate to $32/hr, which is the minimum any certified interpreter would work for, and that's an improvement.

Executive Level Consultant for Language World Services, Inc.

Current Employee - Healthcare & Human Service On-Site Language Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This on-site healthcare/human interpreting service agency is unique. Only agency in California that tests, trains, mentors, supervises, mandates observations/assessments and CEs of its "employee" interpreters. Interpreters are given classroom instruction and continued guidance that is unprecedented in this industry. They have flexibility in balancing personal life and work schedule through both Supervisors and Internet Scheduling system.

Cons

The pay is between $20 and $37 an hour depending on the location and complexity of the on-site assignments. The training, supervision and leadership is very strong; however, assignments are based upon client needs and are unpredictable. Ex: An interpreter may have 20 assignments one week and 2 the next. It is even more problematic if you speak a language of lesser diffusion. This industry is growing dramatically and poses challenges to LWS in meeting that growth.

Keep listening to your interpreters and investing in the quality side of your interpreters. Communicate more clearly to your interpreters as you make changes and anticipate challenges. You are the only agency that uses an "employee" vs. independent contractor model ... keep fighting for a higher level of respect for your interpreters and the LEP (Limited English Proficient) patients/recipients and medical/human service organizations that depend upon your vision of professional interpretation.

Not A Good Place To Work

I worked at Language World Services as a contractor

Pros

Nothing much except paid-training. Few good supervisors

Cons

No benefits, no promotion, bad administration . .

Most of staffs are unprofessional and unpleasant to work with.

Language World Services Response

Apr 4, 2014Director of Client Relations

Language World Services would like to clarify that we direct hire all of our interpreters--we do not work with contractors. Additionally, while we do not currently offer many traditional promotions ... More

Challenging, varied and satisfying on-site health interpreting

Current Employee - On-site Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - On-site Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training, flexible hours, interesting assignments, wide range of interpreting contexts, ample opportunity to increase knowledge and skills, satisfying relations with patients and many practitioners.

Cons

No benefits, no paid holidays, no paid vacation, unpredictable schedule. Travel time is often much greater than actual interpreting time. No-shows can be frustrating.

A great temporary job

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Language World Services

Pros

Management is smart and on point

Cons

No opportunity for growth in the company

Teri is wonderful.