LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros:
  • "I learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Knowledge gained through working with different fields, good pay, flexible hours"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means"
    in 21 reviews
  • "No benefits, no paid vacations, no sick days , no reimbursement exempt"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Now LLs is after Pacific interpreters

Boston, MA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthere is nothing good to tell about this company

ConsLanguage Line Solutions has been buying out smaller companies (e.g. Pacific Interpreters) and forcing their interpreters to be so-called "employees" with virtually no benefits (no paid vacations, no holidays, no sick days, crappy cheap health insurance). The interpreters' compensation changed from potentially $30-42/hr to $12-$14 per hour. Most of the quality and highly-qualified interpreters are leaving this greedy and cold company. If you're thinking of getting interpreter services for your hospital, clinics or business, stay away from Language Line Solutions. Don't expect you will get good quality interpreting services from LLS since they don't care about the interpreters. Interpreters are being used like factory workers or robots.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing your interpreters.

I agree with other interpreters on their negative reviews on LLS

Interpreter (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork at home, not having to deal with commute.

ConsOther than the pros listed above, there is no other good thing to say about the company. Crappy pay and even reduce your rate. I had been working for a company called Tele-Interpreters, and later purchased by LLS. I was paid at a rate of 50 cents a minutes (which was low but I can accepted it). Been working for them for about 3 years and then when LLS purchased them, they had to reduce my rate from 50 cents to 35 cents/minutes. The reason (or excuse) they told us for the reduced rate was economic hardship. COME ON LLS, you guys have been ripped the government and private agencies off by charging them $3 to $4 and even $5 a minute. YOU can't even afford to pay your employee 50 cents or that???

So I quit my job and working for Pacific Interpreter and get 60 cents a minute now. However, last December, again, LLS purchased Pacific. Now they are thinking to merge both interpreters into one by paying us AGAIN CRAPPY rate of $14/hour which if you divide 14 by 60, it would be 23.33 cents a minutes. 23 cents COMMON LLS how much respect did you give to your interpreters??? You are depend on us to make you rich and you can't even afford to pay us more than 23 cents a minutes?????

My advice is if you are a new interpreter and need some experience, then work for them. However, let you tell you be ready to drink a lot water. Their $14/hour is hard working money. They expect you to take a load of calls non stop. Once you have experience, QUIT and look for something better. They expect you a lot from you and give you almost nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the management team is YOU are depend on US. If you treat us as a crap then that is what you get. I don't know why anyone would like to work at such low rate, unless you have nothing better to do. To the agencies who is looking for interpreter services, go for something else. Reason, you are not going to get a happy interpreter because everyone is so exhausted by having to deal with this immoral company.

Greedy company that pays interpreters very low

Interpreter (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

ProsWorks from the comfort of home.

ConsThey charge 2.5-3.9 USD per minute but only pay interpreters less than a quarter per minute. They're buying out smaller companies like Pacific Interpreters and changing their interpreters to "employees" status, meaning being forced to work fixed hours, no paid vacation, no sick days, $12-14/hour, and crappy useless health insurance. It's better to wait table than working for them. Many highly qualified interpreters are leaving due to LLS's abuse and greediness. Please don't use LLS for your language needs, people who have no choice would stay and they're not happy. Don't expect good quality of customer service/ interpretation from unhappy interpreters.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop your greediness, don't use interpreters like a factory worker. Unhappy employees mean poor service.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

intigration is not going well

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

ProsWe provide great services that are needed and important to the communities we serve

ConsLanguage Line has been acquiring companies and not integrating them well, so the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
Employees are not valued or treated well. Great people are getting fired or just leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and find out what is going on, determine best practices, and then move forward.

Wonderful experience in general

Mandarin Customer Service Interpreter (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than a year

ProsKnowledge gained through working with different fields, good pay, flexible hours

ConsComplicated management system, not ideal for career growth

Don't waste your time! Get a job at a regular company's call center for better pay and benefit!

Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for less than a year

ProsAbsolutely nothing! Don't waste your time or career! Get a job at a regular company's call center for better pay and benefit!

ConsPay, benefit, training staff. Only reason I tried this job was I'm bilingual and the word "Interpreter" sounded cool to me. Also, I own a newer Mercedes Benz and didn't want to add up mileage. What a big mistake! It's a ridiculous job! Rather, it's a ridiculous labor! You work as a conduit between the client and his or her limited English proficient customers. And many LEP people lack basic IQ, American common sense, and, most importantly,
communication skill! So they will give you all kinds nightmares and unnecessary challenges!

Additionally, you have to do your job the Language Line Solutions' way no matter what! Interpreters shouldn't appear as if they are chatting with LEP people! That's just one of Language Line's many many stupid rules. What kind of person in right mind would think the interpreter is chatting with LEP people on the job??? So, for every move an interpreter should make, in order to understand LEP person better, he or she must inform Client first and get the permission. And that's going to drive you CRAZY! AND IT'S GOING TO CAUSE SEVERE DELAY AND THE CLIENT'S COMPANY WILL GET THE INFLATED BILL!

Also, since you're being sandwiched by two or more customers per call, you must have the "Slave's Mind" or "Low Self-esteem" to survive in this job. I feel sorry for those who have been working for this company pretty long, and I especially feel sorry for senior language specialists. I'm sure they all have low self-esteem. With their skills and qualifications, they can work for Airlines [ Travel Benefits!!! ], hospitals, Nordstrom, Costco, etc. for much better pay and benefits! What the heck were they thinking?

Interpretation is a hard work, and LLS better treat their interpreters much better than now! But unfortunately, when some stupid or crazy clients complain about you, this company takes their words while your words don't mean anything! By the way, I have a lot more to say about this stupid company and this stupid "work from home" interpreter job as well as "SUSPICIOUS" EXPERIENCES I've had while working as "work from home" interpreter for the last several months. As soon as the company and I part, I'll reveal them in detail! Glassdoor says I can edit my review within 30 days, and I'm expecting that will happen within that time frame.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys just wait~ You guys will be contacted~

interpreter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Prosstaying at your home, flexible work schedule

Conslow salary, frustrated customer, phone issues

Advice to Senior Managementconsistently study about all the related field, especially medical terms.

Challenging and rewarding job

Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision.

ConsMinimal feedback and support; I've been with the company over four years, never had a pay increase, few to no benefits. Advancement opportunities are almost non-existant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWords are not enough to motive staff to consistently provide top quality work. Employees need financial rewards/incentives to feel motivated and satisfied. The cost of living does not go down and everybody needs to support themselves. As much as I love the job, I can no longer "afford" to work for the company. I will be leaving as soon as I find something else.

A greedy company

Customer Service Interpreter (Current Employee)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsConvenience. Easy to get a job.

ConsManagement is not interested in rewarding good performance, only punishing mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. So please compensate your interpreters better. And in return, they'll give the company their dedication.

I loved my work, helping people communicate

OTP Interpreter - Contract, PT, FT, Freelance (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsI loved my word helping people communicate. You had to study a lot of terminology in different fields, be patient with people, understanding, and compassionate, as well as being technically prepared, detached, and professional.

ConsCons – I loved my work, as I said, but the long and short term benefits, guaranty of employment, pay, appreciation, did not match my efforts and loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt’s unfortunate that management was so busy looking to make money. The service was extraordinary, but the success was built on people like me who gave competently without much regard for us, front liners. I’d ask management to think about how it’s treated us…the ones who gave to this service from the start, when the business wasn’t known, when we were on-call 24/7…Thanks in advance.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.