LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros:
  • "I learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision"
    in 50 reviews
  • "You feel like you can help people that have a barrier communicating"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No benefits either or anything to show appreciation"
    in 22 reviews
  • "No benefits, no paid vacations, no sick days , no reimbursement exempt"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

WAH customer Service for 16 yrs

Work At Home Spanishh Interprelor (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood step ladder in the industry

ConsPay, time off, no sick time off, slavers, no communication among supervisors,team leaders. You ask for the day or hours off and allways a NO.

Advice to Senior ManagementFired and rehired a new administration that know what are they doing...you have a lot of sargents

no raise. dead end job

Interpreter (Current Employee)

Prosyou do not have to care about physical appearance or weather conditions to go to work

Consvery little pay, no salary raise, terrible benefits, no hope of getting promoted whatsoever, mentally exhausting and demanding

Advice to Senior Managementtry to appreciate and give your employees what they really deserve, it is really ridiculous not to offer any raise in wages for at least last five years. price of living does not stay the same, how come you ecpect your employees to survive with the same amount of money they've been making for long time. be fair please!

good and bad

Interpreter and Senion Lang Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsIt was nice to have "a job" or be amployed while having babies

ConsLow pay, no opportunity to advance, no interaction , when the company changed CEO years ago the company lost its culture. Back when Chris Ensign was CEO, you felt PRIDE working for these guys. After that, humm. Like they wanted you to became a number. No thanks. Ah! And the pay ....was low, frozen....Better to contract, and they only do that if they have a growth spurt.No culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management that CARES

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience to Start But No Place To Stay

WAH Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsWork from Home opportunity
    Ability to Set Schedule (only at the begining)
    Payment for hours work like clockwork

ConsLow Pay
    No Benefits
    Unpredictible Schedule
    Non Responsive Management/Supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a good opportunity for someone that wants to start in the Interpreter Industry but that is it. The expectations of management for employment performace is in no way reflective of the pay given to employees. The feedback provided by supervisors is ambigous sometimes. You have a Manager that rarelly will interact with you since they have layers of other Senior Reps that should be able to answer you questions. Whenever you take time off, even previously approved, it shows up as being absent. I have not been able to get an answer if that would eventually impact the performace of an employee. Most of the time you will not know what your schedule for the next 2 weeks would be until the week before. So planning for future events becomes a hazardous process. You are exposed to a variety of situations that will allow you to expand your knowledge. But on the other hand, the company expects employees to have high stardards and dedicate time on their own to improve their skills without getting the compensation that high quality work deserves. Work for LLS at your own risk. Also make sure that if you accept an offer that you give them whatever days you would like off for the next year to ensure that you do get them off. Also you must keep track of the training time to ensure that you are paid for the time spent.

Micromanagement Hell!

Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsYou can work in your pj's and you don't have to spend gas money or time commuting. That's about it!

ConsYou will earn minimum wage, won't have holidays off and there are no paid sick days either. Vacation time is also unpaid (and yet it is restricted to 2 weeks a year and subject to their approval), and just as described by many other employees, you can count on your managers being disrespectful. Basically, they will give you only what they are forced to give you by state law, and nothing else.

Chances are you will not have an opportunity to move up, either. You will never be informed when a position opens, and you can only start receiving benefits at the management level. In other words, you will do all the work for minimum wage, and those who sit in an office listening to you and critiquing your calls will get the benefits you're not entitled to.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you're talking to us, remember we are professionals too, not your servants. Be polite.

And as many others have said, we are the force that keeps your engine running. It does not make sense that the ones doing the hardest work won't get the same benefits as those sitting at an office 'supervising'.

Horrible job injury from the Internet phone they provided, company irresponsible, still suffering with pain, cannot work

Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home. Some calls are interesting and challenging.

ConsLow pay, no respect, very irresponsible company. The company installed a new Internet phone system as a pilot program in 2006, tested on real people, and people complained about ear pain, and they did not let us stop using the system until I sustained severe ear nerve damage. Workers' Comp was a joke, not enough compensation ($50/month). My medical bills are over $500/month (total over $70,000 in 6 years), and no sympathy from the management, they did not take the responsibility. LLS eventually fired me, and I am still suffering from pain, and unable to work. I want my life back!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to treat the interpreter nicer, and give them what they deserve. You need to take responsibility when your new phone system causes damage to a person. You have no idea how much pain I went through from the injury caused by the RDI system. You know the system caused my injury because you stop using the system right after my injury. It changed my life, and my family and I are still suffering from it. I cannot believe that I wasted 10 years of my life for a company like this. Your company takes advantage of many innocent people.

Excellent to gain live overview knowledge of different industries across the US.

Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
    Davie, FL

ProsWork at home schedule is good, Very professional environment and so much satisfaction as one helps the client to convey ideas with the customers. Phone training, once per month.

ConsVery sedentary, your office becomes home! Lack of exercise as you stay home to many hours. No 401 K, good health insurance, low salary. Lack of interaction with colleagues and management to learn how to improve work as one is doing the work. Lack from the company to train for certification in the Medical or Legal interpreter; at Language Line University or other Nation wide Universities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease check employees abilities to perform other positions within the company or let them know of new openings. Stop the dual company strategy and implement management sense over interpreters that pretend to be business administrator's. Administrators lead and interpreters audit quality.

Pay not good, no pay increase, Calls are intense and they come often and they survey you.

Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsWork from home that is it.

ConsMed. Benefit is too expensive
    No pay increase
    Can't change work time based on you needs.
    Vacation is first come first serve.
    No appreciation for hard working employees

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay for employees or at least provide good health insurance. Both if both of them are terrible how can you expect to keep good interpreters.One day it will come back to bite you

No self respecting, professional interpreter should work here

Spanish Customer Service Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsWork from the comfort of your home providing a much-needed, valuable service for people who cannot communicate in English

You will learn to develop your own style of customer service and will learn to deal with people from all walks of life

Great place for first-time interpreters to develop skills and knowledge but don't expect any formal training or help with skills building. You will learn on the job, ALONE. They do have material you can download from their forums, which can be useful

You are exposed to a wide range of industries and will learn about banking, finance, insurance, government agencies, 911, legal, medical, utilities, and many other industries

If you are an employee (not contractor) you get a steady paycheck and at least you are employed

Good fro a stop-gap in your resume

ConsNo benefits except for the new expensive 401K plan

Salary is very low, a joke compared to what other companies have to offer. They tell you that you can average $14 to $18 an hour but in reality, you are lucky to be making the minimum wage according to the state you live in or you make .25 cents a minute as a contractor. Other companies offer .40 to .60 cents a minute to their contractors

You get monitored on your calls, then get called on everything you did wrong, the QC team tends to be very critical of everything you do by calling it "feedback". You also get positive feedback and some advice as well, which is very helpful

No opportunity for professional growth, not much room for advancement, no real training except for what you get when hired and some material offered in their forums and whatever feedback is offered by QC

Communication with management is near non-existent. You have better luck speaking with the nice people in the IRC and get quicker, better answers from them that from the people who should be answering your questions

Trying to get time off is next to impossible. There are no paid days whatsoever, you get 80 unpaid days a year but try to request those off, good luck. If you take off so many sick days, you get 2 letters and a dismissal afterwords, Schedule changes are impossible unless you are meeting the company's staff and business needs, forget yours, they don't care

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, what management?

worked under threat of getting laid off as I refused to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor.

Interpreter (Former Employee)
    Monterey, CA

ProsWork from home, so no added expense of traveling back and forth to work.
    Work in the comfort of your PJs.

ConsNo respect for interpreters, as they speak in a very condescending way.
    They never communicate with you, only to complain about feedback from an irate customer.
    Their recruiter is infinitely rude, if she does not hear what she wants. She offered for me to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor ($30/hr to $11/hr), no paid vacation and no benefits, when I “politely” declined the offer her tone changed completely to rude and condescending with a hint of threat.
    They have a very limited understanding of the requirements of the different dialects and how some are not mutually intelligible even if they fall under the same language. There was no department to handle that, no matter how often I pointed out that their customers’ needs could be improved by paying attention to such cultural details.
    They have no regards for experience or education. It’s a company that is driven by greed. They charge their customers an arm and a leg for their services, and yet they refuse to adequately pay their employees. A Starbucks barista has a more comfortable situation with potential for growth and a higher pay rate with a mere GED.
    I would not recommend working at LLS.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.