LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros:
  • "I learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision"
    in 45 reviews
  • "You get to work from the comfort of your home with flexible hours"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means"
    in 21 reviews
  • "No benefits, no paid vacations, no sick days , no reimbursement exempt"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Call after call, after call, after call.

Customer Service Representative Spanish Interperter (Current Employee)
Yonkers, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsWork at Home, Set your own schedule for at least 3 months at a time, after which you are able to change, and will be aproved change depending on business needs.

ConsPay, nonstop calls coming through, benefits, no paid time off, no paid sick days. Basicaly if your not logged in your not getting paid, regarless of the reason. Accrue 6 or more infractions and get written up, after 2 write ups dismissal, infractions include being late or having a legit illness.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove everything that's in the Cons Section above.

Excellent to gain live overview knowledge of different industries across the US.

Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
Davie, FL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsWork at home schedule is good, Very professional environment and so much satisfaction as one helps the client to convey ideas with the customers. Phone training, once per month.

ConsVery sedentary, your office becomes home! Lack of exercise as you stay home to many hours. No 401 K, good health insurance, low salary. Lack of interaction with colleagues and management to learn how to improve work as one is doing the work. Lack from the company to train for certification in the Medical or Legal interpreter; at Language Line University or other Nation wide Universities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease check employees abilities to perform other positions within the company or let them know of new openings. Stop the dual company strategy and implement management sense over interpreters that pretend to be business administrator's. Administrators lead and interpreters audit quality.

Convenient, work from home job opportunity; low salary and few fringe benefits.

Customer Service Interpreter (Current Employee)
San Juan, PR

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsWork from home is a big plus. The pay in Puerto Rico maxes out at 8.50 hour with 2/3d health plan covered and other benefits as required by law (paid vacation and paid sick time). Excellent opportunity to gain customer service skills.

ConsAfter first promotion its very difficult to gain any other advancement or salary increase.
Scheduling of work shift can and will change dramatically within a 12-hour window selected by employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtend more benefits to employees, offer larger performance rewards based on evaluation results.

O.k as a place to start.

Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsObtained experience as a Spanish interpreter.

ConsI was unable to obtain any training towards medical certification.
No raise ever and don't even think about it.

worked under threat of getting laid off as I refused to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor.

Interpreter (Former Employee)
Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsWork from home, so no added expense of traveling back and forth to work.
Work in the comfort of your PJs.

ConsNo respect for interpreters, as they speak in a very condescending way.
They never communicate with you, only to complain about feedback from an irate customer.
Their recruiter is infinitely rude, if she does not hear what she wants. She offered for me to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor ($30/hr to $11/hr), no paid vacation and no benefits, when I “politely” declined the offer her tone changed completely to rude and condescending with a hint of threat.
They have a very limited understanding of the requirements of the different dialects and how some are not mutually intelligible even if they fall under the same language. There was no department to handle that, no matter how often I pointed out that their customers’ needs could be improved by paying attention to such cultural details.
They have no regards for experience or education. It’s a company that is driven by greed. They charge their customers an arm and a leg for their services, and yet they refuse to adequately pay their employees. A Starbucks barista has a more comfortable situation with potential for growth and a higher pay rate with a mere GED.
I would not recommend working at LLS.

Worse than hell, Hell On Earth, the worst job I ever had, Slave Drivers, VeryAbusive company

Do Not Work for This Company Unless You Hate Yourself (Former Employee)
Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Prosworking out of your home

ConsYou don't know the meaning of slave driver until you worked for LLS, 3rd world pay, demanding boss who never responds to your e-mail, no sick leave, if you become sick too bad, you're fired, no pay raise ever I was switched to all call interepreter and the pay stayed minimum wage. The call volume is constant and company allows calls to come into your line 10 seconds before your lunch break, just interpreted for 3 hours straight, too bad, here is some more interpreting for you and screw your time off. So this job is actually worse than any job you can imagine, and you get almost no compensation for it. Company does not certify interpreters but tells them to lie to court officers that you are court certified. Some one should shut them down for unsafe working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe in Karma and everyone single one of you will be punished by Karma for abusing and exploiting your employees. Luis Provenzano should be investigated for abusive way he's handling employees.

Language Line Services

Translator (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsSupposed flexibility. Work from home and potential of the earnings in a segment of this business where as a eastern European, i have a very few competitors.

ConsWorking hours, no benefits, lack of communication from management, response time from the management as well as reactions from direct line.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart at the human level and you will begin to understand that the translators are the engine of this company and not the management.

Terrible place to work

Work At Home Interpreter (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsThe only benefit is that you work from home

ConsWhen you take time off due to a family emergency or a sick child, you get reprimanded, even when you have a doctor's note. The sad part is that if you receive 3 warnings for absences (even if they are 100% justified) they let you go. There is NO flexibility whatsoever to balance work life and family life. They expect you to be there, PERIOD. No benetits, no health insurance and I was getting paid the minimum amount for high-quality work. I was there for a year until I got a job elsewhere. My recommendation to others who are looking to work as an interpreter there... DON'T it's a mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. It's unfair that the itnerpreters make close to minimum wage here in the US and you don't even offer benefits or vacation. Be more flexible, there are those of us who are moms and have obligations, children get sick, there are emergencies, etc., Be involved with those of us who are really working hard and are the heart of the company.

You have to be objective

All Call Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee)
Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI've been reading some of the reviews and have to say that I am satisfied with my salary, of course one always wants more money but I think people have to look at the big picture. I have been working for nearly 10 years now and can't really complain, my schedule is perfect and money is nice, you have to learn to be patient though, I mean you can't expect to make the same amount if you're just starting out plus they don't require any sort of degree or experience to hire. I don't know how they do it now, but I did get a pay increase when I became an all-call interpreter, plus I have three different bonuses that I get every month, plus they have over time bonus for those people who can put in overtime. granted the ot bonus is not year-round but when they offer it I take it, plus we have access to private insurance. Some of the problems people have mentioned (no vacation or time off pay) sadly you have to partly blame your state laws. Costa Rican law states that you are entitled to 2 weeks paid vacation, first three sick days you get paid half a day per day before social security kicks in, 4 months full pay maternity leave and a Christmas bonus equal to your average monthly salary and if you are willing to work the graveyard shift, it means a 30% rate increase so like I said, can't complain. Now I have the pleasure of working from home with very little supervision plus an extra bonus to help pay for my internet service.

The job itself although stressful and mentally exhausting is wonderful and interesting, plus you learn something new everyday, even after 10 years on the job! Some calls are very difficult because they can be rather long or audio won't be so great or maybe you have a rude client, but hey that happens everywhere.

ConsEver since I started working from home the cons have considerably decreased. Let me explain, work environment was a big issue for me, some of the supervisors tended to not be nice or very understanding at times. There were a couple that were always late, did minimal work and could be just plain lazy, that was very frustrating, at home, I can't witness that so it has given me peace of mind to just do my job.
The "offices" in Heredia are awful, just a modified hangar/warehouse that houses some offices and about 120 cubicles, it could get really bad sometimes because there were too many people and not enough space, I'm guessing by sending a lot of interpreters home they have relieved some of that, but I still think that the place has just plain gotten too small and old.
Cubicles are downright ugly, but not all of it is the company's fault. Sadly you can see graffiti on a lot of them, broken chairs, scratched computers and keyboards, it's very difficult to do maintenance when employees don;t take care of their place of work. It's a team effort and neither the company nor the employees are doing their part.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in touch with your employees, try to listen to what their needs are, for some people something as simple as having free coffee or tea, would make a world of difference.

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

ConsA professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.